The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Puel: We need a goalscorer

• Last Updated: January 5 2017, 19:31 GMT

Claude Puel believes Jermain Defoe would be the answer to Saint's goalscoring problems.

The Saints are understood to be trying to lure the striker to the club from Sunderland to boost their firepower.

He may now be 34, but Defoe has shown he has lost none of his goalscoring prowess, having scored 11 times for struggling Sunderland already this season.

Puel said: "The chairman is trying really hard to get some players, if it's going to be possible, in positions we think we need. I'm not going to talk about names in public.

"(Defoe) has the things that are the most important in a football games - that's goals. He scored them last season, he was probably the main reason they stayed up, and then he continues to do the same this season, scoring again.

"In every game he is having chances and most of the chances he is converting into goals. He is an excellent player, of course."

Another forward on Puel's radar is Brentford hot-shot Scott Hogan, who has hit 14 goals in the Championship this term.

"Scott is a good player, I've watched him a few times," added Puel.

"He is scoring goals, he is very sharp, very quick, and a really good finisher. He does it in the Championship. He is really young, a really good prospect.

Read more at http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/10718601/jermain-defoe-is-proven-goalscorer-and-we-need-more-says-west-ham-boss-slaven-bilic

Puel: We need a goalscorer

• Last Updated: January 5 2017, 19:31 GMT

Claude Puel believes Jermain Defoe would be the answer to Saint's goalscoring problems.

The Saints are understood to be trying to lure the striker to the club from Sunderland to boost their firepower.

He may now be 34, but Defoe has shown he has lost none of his goalscoring prowess, having scored 11 times for struggling Sunderland already this season.

Puel said: "The chairman is trying really hard to get some players, if it's going to be possible, in positions we think we need. I'm not going to talk about names in public.

"(Defoe) has the things that are the most important in a football games - that's goals. He scored them last season, he was probably the main reason they stayed up, and then he continues to do the same this season, scoring again.

"In every game he is having chances and most of the chances he is converting into goals. He is an excellent player, of course."

Another forward on Puel's radar is Brentford hot-shot Scott Hogan, who has hit 14 goals in the Championship this term.

"Scott is a good player, I've watched him a few times," added Puel.

"He is scoring goals, he is very sharp, very quick, and a really good finisher. He does it in the Championship. He is really young, a really good prospect.

Read more at http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/10718601/jermain-defoe-is-proven-goalscorer-and-we-need-more-says-west-ham-boss-slaven-bilic

Ok, I changed it a little. But wouldn't it be nice if we got a similar statement from our club?

Had a feeling that wasn't Claude. The article wasn't "interesting" enough. :D

where are all the ITKs gone?

Les Reed sold them. On the plus side, he has a new TV and has booked a nice cruise in the summer with the proceeds. We'll be buying some cheaper overseas ITKs soon to replace them, in the hope they develop into new saleable assets. We'll also look to develop our own youth ITKs for the longer term. It's the Southampton Way.

Ok, I changed it a little. But wouldn't it be nice if we got a similar statement from our club?

Would it be nice? Really? West Ham are currently being whoring themselves to the world in a proper desperate attempt to get a striker and are being rejected by every single one of them. Infact they've been doing it for well over a year now and they've ended up with some ****ing ****e they're still looking to replace up front as well as a joke reputation.

So would it be nice if we did similar? Rather be desperate and quietly looking to get our business done rather than publicly being humiliated and desperate as well.

I don't know much about him except for both Klopp and Wenger have allegedly been interested him in recent months and they're both pretty good judges.

You could argue that they aren't when it come a to CBs but take your point

On all levels no.

One thing that makes me proud to be a Saints fan is the fact that we are never going to sign Jermaine Defoe.

Because Defoe knows where the back of the net is? Unlike half our current team....

He's scored 6 from open play in 1793 minutes. That's a goal every 298 minutes, or 3.33 games.

Jay Rod has 4 from open play in 725 minutes, one every 181 minutes, or every 2 games.

Come on guys, if you're going to come out with statements like this make sure you have the stats to back them up.

He's scored 6 from open play in 1793 minutes. That's a goal every 298 minutes, or 3.33 games.

Jay Rod has 4 from open play in 725 minutes, one every 181 minutes, or every 2 games.

Come on guys, if you're going to come out with statements like this make sure you have the stats to back them up.

Well I'd bet on Defoe scoring ahead of Jay Rod (v.2) every time. Would love to have him in but he'll go to West Ham

Seen that Stoke are willing to let Bojan go. Think he would be the type of player we would go for (great young prospect but has had a tough time recently).

He seems to have a tough time most of the time though, despite obvious talent. When he came to Ajax I was expecting a lot, but was disappointed most games.

Les is, IMO, warming us up to no significant signings in January so don't expect much movement personally. If we aren't getting a striker in then we need to recall Gallagher. We surely can't go through the rest of the season relying on just Long and JRod.

That's fine. The stats say you're wrong.

Not sure picking a team through stats is quite the best policy. Defoe offers a lot in his all-round game, including assists, holding the ball up, penalties etc etc. Jay Rod loses it too much for me at the moment, hasn't the pace he had, and still looks a shadow of the player he was.

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 12m12 minutes ago

Southampton have contacted Napoli for Gabbiadini. Wolfsburg being still ahead to sign him

Good to have some actual rumours rather than 'Liverpool to buy all the Southampton players LOL' - presumably we could offer higher wages than Wolfsburg, but I'd imagine there are other PL clubs interested.

Good to have some actual rumours rather than 'Liverpool to buy all the Southampton players LOL' - presumably we could offer higher wages than Wolfsburg, but I'd imagine there are other PL clubs interested.

Everton supposedly, Nice to be linked at least, however isn't he more of a second striker rather than a goalscorer?!

Years Team Apps (Gls)

2009–2012 Atalanta 25 (1)

2010–2011 Cittadella 27 (5)

2012–2013 Juventus 0 (0)

2012–2013 Bologna 30 (6)

2013–2015 Sampdoria 47 (15)

2015–Current Napoli 55 (15)

Seems to be a 1 in 3/4 striker.

Les is, IMO, warming us up to no significant signings in January so don't expect much movement personally. If we aren't getting a striker in then we need to recall Gallagher. We surely can't go through the rest of the season relying on just Long and JRod.

Yep! 6 gone 25 to go and little sign of life anywhere. I just checked the OS and there was a pic of Puel and I thought he been kicked out today but no just another load of b******* from him about trying harder and togetherness and everything in the garden is rosy....

Everton supposedly, Nice to be linked at least, however isn't he more of a second striker rather than a goalscorer?!

Years Team Apps (Gls)

2009–2012 Atalanta 25 (1)g

2010–2011 Cittadella 27 (5)

2012–2013 Juventus 0 (0)

2012–2013 Bologna 30 (6)

2013–2015 Sampdoria 47 (15)

2015–Current Napoli 55 (15)

Seems to be a 1 in 3/4 striker.

Traditionally there are fewer goals scored in Italian football, but even still this does not sound like the best solution to our lack of goals.

Mamadou Sakho’s downfall with Liverpool is well documented. There is no way back for the French central defender, and Liverpool are seeking to offload the player in whatever way possible: a straight transfer, loan with or without an option to buy. In short, Liverpool will consider all offers for Sakho.

According to L’Équipe, LFC will not stand in the way of any move to whichever club Sakho chooses, there is still mutual respect between club and player, with the Frenchman having dealt with his recent isolation almost entirely professionally.

The 26 year old is not lacking in potential suitors. Turkish giants Galatasaray have positioned themselves in recent weeks, with the player’s entourage describing the opportunity as “a very big club”.

Inter and AC Milan are also in the running, but Sakho’s preference is to remain in the Premier League.

To that end, Stoke City and West Brom, who submitted offers during the summer transfer window, are still said to be monitoring the situation. Tony Pulis’ side are understood to be in regular contact with the player’s representatives.

Two other Premier League sides have manifested themselves in recent days. The first is West Ham United, who are looking to add quality to a squad that has massively underperformed in the first half of the season.

The second and most serious new suitor is Claude Puel’s Southampton. Following the transfer request submitted by Jose Fonte yesterday, the Saints are seriously considering a move for French international Sakho, and talks appear likely to accelerate in the coming 10 days.

The player himself is interested in the move to Southampton. It would give him the chance to play at Anfield twice this season, once in the EFL Cup and once in the Premier League, where Sakho could finally exact revenge for his supposed maltreatment in 2016.

Source: http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2017/southampton-heavily-considering-move-for-mamadou-sakho/

Snap him up. Bloke seems a loon but is a decent player

Deluded Liverpool supporting mate of mine says he's imposing as you like, but awful on the ball, dodgy temperament, but popular with the fans though.

Reckons he'd be good if partnered with the right player.

Yep! 6 gone 25 to go and little sign of life anywhere. I just checked the OS and there was a pic of Puel and I thought he been kicked out today but no just another load of b******* from him about trying harder and togetherness and everything in the garden is rosy....

Perhaps he should tell us " we`ve given up and throw the towel in" or were doomed captain mainwaring, doomed.... " :lol:

Seriously! what do you expect him to say?

Well I don't watch liverpool on principal unless we play them so I'm not sure how he has played but if I remember rightly from reports he was playing well at one stage before liverpool ruined him.

Edit:

So went back and checked how he played when he made his debut as a left back and then was moved as the starting CB the next season for PSG.

Big, fast, high % passing accuracy (high 85-92%) who has been rated over +7 on whoscored for the 3 seasons he's been at Liverpool - https://www.whoscored.com/Players/29575

And I would ignore any liverpool fans as this is what one of their websites put in a article.

"The right sided centre-back I would buy would be Caulker. He is a fantastic prospect who is in and around the national side, so a move would suit both parties."

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/01/scouting-long-term-partner-mamadou-sakho/

Edited by Convict Colony

Defoe has scored 11 in 20 games

You cant simply discount penalties just because it doesn't fit your debate

If he wasn't fouled (resulting in the penalty) would he have scored? Ref presumably thought there was a good chance

Yes you can, unless your argument is that we need someone that can score penalties. You can't compare apples and pears, and if the issue is we're not scoring enough from open play, then you need to only include goals from open play.

Deluded Liverpool supporting mate of mine says he's imposing as you like, but awful on the ball, dodgy temperament, but popular with the fans though.

Reckons he'd be good if partnered with the right player.

Most Liverpool fans I know hate the fact that he's labelled dodgy on the ball because they actually really rate his passing skill.