The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

PAYET 'DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY'

Bilic also tells reporters his star player Dimitri Payet - a scorer of so many impressive goals since he arrived from Marseille two summers ago - doesn't want to play for West Ham.

He said: "We have said we don't want to sell our best players but Dimitri Payet does not want to play for us. We are not going to sell him.

"I spoke to the chairman and this is not a money issue. We gave him a long contract because we want him to stay."

But...but... this doesn't happen to anyone but us??

But...but... this doesn't happen to anyone but us??

It gets better...

PAYET 'REFUSING TO PLAY'

Bilic went on to explain Payet has no plans to play for West Ham against Crystal Palace this weekend - and fears he has already been sounded out by another club.

He added: "We have said hundreds of times we don't want to sell our best players. He's definitely our best player. That's why we gave him a long contract - and then a new contract four months later.

"I phoned him with that and he refused to play for us. I have a team to manage. He's probably been tapped up by some clubs or whatever. That is usual at this time of year.

"Until he changes his attitude, he is out of the team and he's not going to train with us - but we are not going to sell him, not whatsoever."

If a player refuses to play, stop paying his salary but refuse to sell.

This!

Is a player theoretically not in breach of contract if they refuse to play? I guess it's a slightly grey area as they'd have to prove he has outright refused to play.

I'm not a fan of West Ham or their transfer dealings, but I really hope they dig their feet in and refuse to sell. Player power has seriously become out of hand.

But it's the same old story of cutting your nose to spite your face. OK, they're not paying his salary in your example but in reality they'd rather have the £30M in the bank and buy a replacement who will contribute to the team. I'm guessing with FPP now it's even more of an issue.

I get your point though and agree. Would be nice for one of the financial big boys to actually do this one day. It might make players think twice but I highly doubt it.

This is pretty much exactly what WBA did with Berahino. A £20m striker made to rot in the reserves for 2 years. He went from being on Spurs' radar to Stoke's. Bet he wishes he just got his head down and played football now. He'd probably have a few England caps by now too. But from WBAs perspective, they've lost out on £20m.

This is pretty much exactly what WBA did with Berahino. A £20m striker made to rot in the reserves for 2 years. He went from being on Spurs' radar to Stoke's. Bet he wishes he just got his head down and played football now. He'd probably have a few England caps by now too. But from WBAs perspective, they've lost out on £20m.

And, one assumes, they were still paying him.

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 54s54 seconds ago

Southampton have contacted Porto for midfielder Sergio Oliveira

I just hope he doesn't get a call up to the national team in the next major tournament:scared:

I heard sometime ago that Saints were looking to sign a big-name CB - perhaps it was Sakho. I hope so - would be one of the biggest statements of ambition made by the club IMO - a player at a prime age with good background who could prove to VVD that the club means business. Despite Yoshi looking well improved, I do hope we get Sakho.

er what do you think caused the Bosman ruling which gave the players the upper hand ?? Yes clubs dropping players then stopping paying them while retaining the players registration !!!!! The players were then unable to earn a living from football which led to the " restraint of trade" ruling known as the Bosman ruling.

re Payet BTW !

I heard sometime ago that Saints were looking to sign a big-name CB - perhaps it was Sakho. I hope so - would be one of the biggest statements of ambition made by the club IMO - a player at a prime age with good background who could prove to VVD that the club means business. Despite Yoshi looking well improved, I do hope we get Sakho.
i could be wrong on this but I thought Sakho was had been taking medicine he shouldnt have. I think it bulked him up and so may not be the same player if he lost his strength

i could be wrong on this but I thought Sakho was had been taking medicine he shouldnt have. I think it bulked him up and so may not be the same player if he lost his strength

He was cleared of any wrong doing. The substance wasn't even banned and I think it was in a fat stripper.

Payet - 29yo and on £125k a week + a **** poor attitude.

Who is going to want to meet WHU's valuation when they will have little resale opportunity? I suspect like Fonte, his appeal to other clubs might not be as strong as he thinks. God know's what WHU will value him at - no doubt it will be something completely unrealistic. North of £30m?

Payet - 29yo and on £125k a week + a **** poor attitude.

Who is going to want to meet WHU's valuation when they will have little resale opportunity? I suspect like Fonte, his appeal to other clubs might not be as strong as he thinks. God know's what WHU will value him at - no doubt it will be something completely unrealistic. North of £30m?

CHINA!

Why does he want to go back to Marseille anyway? Apparently they bid £20m, which West Ham rejected and he throw his toys out the pram.

WBA are NOT in for Gabbiadini.

West Bromwich Albion have not bid for Manolo Gabbiadini, contrary to claims made by the Napoli striker's agent.

Guiseppe Cannella told Italian station Radio Crc the Baggies had made an offer between "€16m and €18m", for his client.

Tony Pulis has prioritised midfielders so far in this transfer window, but is still keen to strengthen up front where he is short on options.

Pulis is heavily reliant on Salomon Rondon with Saido Berahino still battling to prove his fitness after four months away from the first team.

Hal Robson-Kanu is the only other option, but has only been trusted with one Premier League start.

Gabbiadini, who has scored five goals in 19 games for his Serie A side this term, is a player known to Albion's network of scouts and has admirers within the club.

But West Brom have no plans to pursue the 25-year-old Italian.

The Baggies are, however, ready to step up interest in long-term target Jeffrey Schlupp - who has played up front for Leicester City - now the chase for Morgan Schneiderlin is all but lost.

Albion had two bids for Schlupp, the second climbing to £12 million, rejected by the league champions last summer.

West Brom are quietly confident they can lure the Ghanian to the Hawthorns, but know they will need to trump Crystal Palace's £9.5 million advance, which was rebuffed earlier this week.

Source: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-bom-transfers-clearing-up-12440722

Family reasons.

I translate that as his missus can't adpat to a non french speaking country and has thrown a strop as it requires effort on her part and he is a cuck.

Australian sportsmen are the same when they move state, their wifes can't adapt as they have moved from NSW to Queensland so have to move home for "family reasons" as they don't have their family support = fulltime family baby sitters and getting drunk with tracey on cheap wine.

If you can't survive in any country in the world as a human you should be put in the line for sterlisation.

To quote noel whelan aka snowy, I am like snow I can settle anywhere.

My countries lived in so far:

Hong Kong

France

Germany

Phillipines

Australia

Singapore

South Africa

Netherlands

God damn I miss natural selection

Eder (if i recall correct scored the winner) and Ricardo Carvalho also won the European Championships and they wouldn't get anywhere near our first team

Eder did indeed score the winner. CArvalho now 39/40 was a donkey, once remove and replaced by Fonte the defence improved dramatically and so did Pepe who was also useless prior to the Fonte replacement.

Eder (if i recall correct scored the winner) and Ricardo Carvalho also won the European Championships and they wouldn't get anywhere near our first team

Eder did indeed score the winner. CArvalho now 39/40 was a donkey, once remove and replaced by Fonte the defence improved dramatically and so did Pepe who was also useless prior to the Fonte replacement.

Wrong thread?

Not a likely scenario during this window, while Nice are top of the French league and want to try to stay there. It would be a bit like Leicester selling Vardy last January, or maybe Saints selling both VVD and Fonte this (not to mention the latest rubbish we read, that China want Maya).

Might be starting to heat up a bit. According to reports in Portugal we have a bid in for Porto's Sergio Oliveira, Saints officials expected in Portugal to continue talks:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/sunderland-join-race-midfielder-4m-bid-southampton/

24 yr old central attacking midfielder, out of favour at Porto but previously hyped.

Can find the original article on the Ojogo site if interested.

Bizarre rumour: Yoshida to China

http://sportwitness.co.uk/another-key-southampton-player-linked-move-china/

I translate that as his missus can't adpat to a non french speaking country and has thrown a strop as it requires effort on her part and he is a cuck.

Australian sportsmen are the same when they move state, their wifes can't adapt as they have moved from NSW to Queensland so have to move home for "family reasons" as they don't have their family support = fulltime family baby sitters and getting drunk with tracey on cheap wine.

If you can't survive in any country in the world as a human you should be put in the line for sterlisation.

To quote noel whelan aka snowy, I am like snow I can settle anywhere.

My countries lived in so far:

Hong Kong

France

Germany

Phillipines

Australia

Singapore

South Africa

Netherlands

God damn I miss natural selection

You're a kn*b though.

Might be starting to heat up a bit. According to reports in Portugal we have a bid in for Porto's Sergio Oliveira, Saints officials expected in Portugal to continue talks:

24 yr old central attacking midfielder, out of favour at Porto but previously hyped.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/another-key-southampton-player-linked-move-china/[/quote

Imagine if we got say £50m for Yoshida...

http://sportwitness.co.uk/another-key-southampton-player-linked-move-china/[/quote

Imagine if we got say £50m for Yoshida...

That article doesn't exactly sell him does it?!

It has all the hallmarks of a Saints signing...

Under 25... check

Played for national side at all youth levels and captain for U21s/23s... check

Unfulfilled potential... check

Hungry... check

Get him on the bus! :)

It has all the hallmarks of a Saints signing...

Under 25... check

Played for national side at all youth levels and captain for U21s/23s... check

Unfulfilled potential... check

Hungry... check

Get him on the bus! :)

Is he already injured or at least very injury prone?

No point letting him rot in the reserves. Just sell him and get the best possible deal. If a player wants to go, he's best off out of the club.

You can't refuse to pay someone and Fonte hasn't refused to play.