The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

I see Lambert was stuck on the bench again for Cardiff this weekend against Bristol City.

I honestly think we could do a lot worse than get him back on a loan/six-month deal. He knows the club inside out, the fans still love him and he would offer us something different up front. I know he's past his best and will be turning 35 soon, but I could see him coming back and getting a few vital goals for us.

:lol::lol::lol:

Shall we try and persuade MLT to come out of retirement as well? He's used to getting us out of relegation battles.

Stoke's Bojan has asked to leave, good attacking player who can play up front or behind the striker, we could do a lot worse

Really doesn't suit our formation or style of play, unless we change to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2, which I can't see happening, it would be a massive waste of money.

So you really think a guy that cant get in a Cardiff team could do a job in the Premiership??!!

Yeah I do!:)

He would never be anything other than a short-term solution. But he would genuinely offer something different to our current strikers, and he is a proven goalscorer at all levels when he's been playing regularly.

The question for me isn't his ability, it's whether his confidence has been shot so much that he wouldn't want to come back and tarnish his reputation.

Sometimes weird transfers do come off. Who the hell thought Mickey Evans would be such a brief legend for us all those years ago?!

halfway thru and not a sniff of a decent link to a striker

I'm not fussed by the lack of links in the press. I will be bothered if the window closes and we haven't done anything - that will be the first time I question the ambition and / or competency of those running the club on the football side. Every single metric you look at shows we are terrible at finishing and it completely undermines everything else we do. The Manager clearly will not change his approach so we'll be stuck with the same old frustrations until the summer if so.

I would like to see Sims given an extended run in place of Tadic - he has something about him and is not always trying to go in crop circles, a la Fabrice Fernandes.

Is Tadic better than Fabrice Fernandes'? Now there's a question

I'm not fussed by the lack of links in the press. I will be bothered if the window closes and we haven't done anything - that will be the first time I question the ambition and / or competency of those running the club on the football side. Every single metric you look at shows we are terrible at finishing and it completely undermines everything else we do. The Manager clearly will not change his approach so we'll be stuck with the same old frustrations until the summer if so.

If we sign a striker in this window wont that mean we have to offload one, either now or the summer? Four strikers for one position probably ****s our budgeting up. If so, which goes?

I see Lambert was stuck on the bench again for Cardiff this weekend against Bristol City.

I honestly think we could do a lot worse than get him back on a loan/six-month deal. He knows the club inside out, the fans still love him and he would offer us something different up front. I know he's past his best and will be turning 35 soon, but I could see him coming back and getting a few vital goals for us.

Considering how even by his own admission RL was tailing off at the end of his time with us, if we were going to roll any sort of dice like that, may as well get Gallagher back from Blackburn, the lad has been in at the deep end at Ewood Park and been finding the back of the net in a team full of players keeping them perilously close to heading into League 1.

Better service better return you would think, those of you moaning he isn't ready, there have been times when neither PEH or NR, both in their early 20's, have looked ready, just because they came in with 7 digit price tags seems to have made them instantly ready.

Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger has been speaking to German magazine Kicker about the Premier League club, his role there, and plans for the future.

Krueger very much wanted to get across to Kicker that Southampton are somewhat different from other Premier League clubs, and it’s clear he feels the way he does things at Southampton is better than practices at other clubs.

With Krueger speaking about a special football culture, Kicker asked what is the culture at Southampton, what makes the club special, to which the chairman replied: “Bayern Munich is a model for us. No matter how big the club is, you never forget the roots. We are a warm and loyal club. This also means dealing with people, which is important to us.”

That wasn’t good enough for Kicker who asked what this means in reality, so Krueger explained: “We are honest and transparent. If Sadio Mane wants to go to Liverpool and we get £33m, we have to do it. One of my tasks is to make it clear to the fans.”

Clearly very interested in just what Krueger does at Southampton, Kicker pressed more and asked him if he was sat at a desk all day: “No chance. I’m close to the team, but I’m talking less about football tactics, but more about the emotional bond to the players. One of my jobs is to develop our brand. When I started, we were a comparatively small club. In the revenue ranking of the clubs, we were ranked 63rd in the world. Today we are ranked 17th.”

Those must be favourable ranking lists, but it keeps Krueger happy. More important to Southampton fans is actually winning something, and the chairman thinks the trophy drought is far too long: “This is unacceptable! We must win titles to reach the next level. Maybe it will work in the League Cup… It would be an ideal opportunity for our young team to learn how to win big games.”

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southamptons-krueger-says-need-make-transfer-policy-clear-fans/

If we sign a striker in this window wont that mean we have to offload one, either now or the summer? Four strikers for one position probably ****s our budgeting up. If so, which goes?

Might give them all a kick up the arse they can decide who goes by how well they perform !

Imagine losing Romeu and or vvd to injury now.

Doesn't bear thinking about

Nearly all the saleable assets have gone.

We're a bad transfer window away from a relegation fight.

I think Les has believed the hype from the media too much.

You can't keep selling your best players and hope to keep finding diamonds in the rough.

Somebody please remove my shoelaces.......

Gazzetta reporting 3hrs ago we are in pole position on Gabbiadani.

"Southampton, which at this time is in pole position, take Gabbiadini tomorrow in loan sale (two or three million) with the right of redemption (also set at twelve or thirteen, but conditional upon attendance) so as to "share" in some way with Napoli the risk of a major investment on a sure bet attacker and reliability but, as mentioned, has played little in the last eighteen months."

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercato/16-01-2017/gabbiadini-panca-via-napoli-piu-southampton-wba-180442311712.shtml

"Southampton, which at this time is in pole position, take Gabbiadini tomorrow in loan sale (two or three million) with the right of redemption (also set at twelve or thirteen, but conditional upon attendance) so as to "share" in some way with Napoli the risk of a major investment on a sure bet attacker and reliability but, as mentioned, has played little in the last eighteen months."

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercato/16-01-2017/gabbiadini-panca-via-napoli-piu-southampton-wba-180442311712.shtml

Does that translate as loan signing that becomes permanent after a certain number of games?

I'd take him if he scores 3 goals TBF.

So Gabbiadini on loan with a permanent deal to follow, if it all works out? Hopefully, he'll have an Alderweireld like impact here rather than a Zaza like impact at West Ham (& we actually manage to seal the deal at the end, if he does do well).

Does that translate as loan signing that becomes permanent after a certain number of games?

I'd take him if he scores 3 goals TBF.

Yeah thats how I read it, it does also say that the italians would like to try and get a bidding war going amongst english clubs hence all these other clubs being rumoured being interested.

This one has had enough smoke there must be some truth, lets just see if this loan and buy comes off.

I read that as a loan which becomes perm after a set amount of games, bit more secure than the Toby one that's for sure!

This kid has been highly rated, so we'll have to see. Don't know a great deal about him to be honest, but he isn't an out and out striker I know that much.

I read that as a loan which becomes perm after a set amount of games, bit more secure than the Toby one that's for sure!

This kid has been highly rated, so we'll have to see. Don't know a great deal about him to be honest, but he isn't an out and out striker I know that much.

I seem to recall he plays on the left like a left sided Nathan Redmond. With him & Redmond, I could see us returning to a diamond with split forwards again...

[/b]

I seem to recall he plays on the left like a left sided Nathan Redmond. With him & Redmond, I could see us returning to a diamond with split forwards again...

Yeah I'd guess that after reading their forum or playing him at the tip of the diamond as that seems to be his 2nd position.

After reading the napoli forum I am slighlty concerned he sounds a lot like what we have now, a outside forward who needs a lot of chances to score !!!

http://tifosidelnapoli.forumfree.it/?t=73020569&st=825

56 pages about him if your interested

Let's hope he does better than Zaza.

On the surface, he doesn't seem exactly like what we need. I think I'd rather have a focal point up top at the moment.

Let's hope he does better than Zaza.

On the surface, he doesn't seem exactly like what we need. I think I'd rather have a focal point up top at the moment.

I'd agree. We need someone to grab hold of the ball, retain it and then look to bring others into attack, as they join him, rather someone else who will flit in and out of the game. We have enough of those already! Still, if he does sign, let's hope it works for both us and the player.

I'd describe him more as a pre-injury JRod really. Largely played on the right for Sampdoria the same way JRod played on the left before his injury but has been mostly used as a CF at Napoli. Great left foot although very one footed. His goalscoring record is underrated as it doesn't look to good on a goals per game basis, but that overlooks the fact that he has rarely played 90 mins for Napoli, usually being a sub as he had Higuain and now Mertens scoring a goal a game. His goals from open play per minute played is good.

A loan deal that becomes permanent automatic after a number of games sounds good to me, if he impresses he becomes ours, if not he plays clause triggering number of games -1.

has played little in the last eighteen months."

Interested in Sakho too who has not played either.

Look how long it has taken us to get Boufal up to scratch?

Why can't we make a signing where they can walk into our team and help us reach another level.

Everything is a gamble these days.

We're never going to be able to afford a player who can take us to a new level instantly. That would be like ourselves going out and buying Mane from another PL club for 38m. We can't do that, we're not big enough to do that and I'm ok with that.

If we can get these promising younger players and unearth their potential, then for a club of our size, it's a no brainer.

After reading the napoli forum I am slighlty concerned he sounds a lot like what we have now, a outside forward who needs a lot of chances to score !!!

http://tifosidelnapoli.forumfree.it/?t=73020569&st=825

56 pages about him if your interested

Pretty much how I'd sum him up.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing on the right hand side of the 3, not convinced he's what we need but he's better than redmond so will improve us.

Always cautious of attackng players coming over from Italy after Gaston & Osvaldo!

Forget all this noncing around put some dollars on the table and get some talent signed.... Show a bit of ambition not much to ask laying out £30 million for two players. It's not like we don't have the money.... The time this board wakes up we will be relegated.. Not me being negative. They need to wake up!

I mentioned on the thread a day or two ago that a loan deal with an option to buy is a good compromise between doing nothing at one end of the spectrum and panic buying the wrong player now when the right one may be available in the summer.

It sounds like we may hedging our bets and that is a smart move I think. Leave Sam up at Blackburn to complete his development playing week in week out and get him back in the summer as an additional option but not the man man

From that article:

"Playing in his favoured position, and without a rigid gameplan, Gabbiadini thrived."

"In the end, a top-level club simply couldn’t afford to build a team around the forward. It’s a familiar story, with Gabbiadini having also been on Juventus’ books without making an appearance.

You get the sense that Gabbiadini’s next move will be the defining one for his career. It’s not yet clear where the Italian international will end up, but West Bromwich Albion look to be favourites for his signature."

So on one hand he does sound like our kind of purchase in that he's a formerly-promising youngster who's not exactly fulfilled promise... on the other hand he's an inconsistent, unreliable inside forward - the likes of whom we already have plenty.

While i do tend to agree we need an out-and-out forward, I think if we land this guy it suggests that the bosses think our problem is from the link from midfield to our forwards - hard to disagree with that, particularly as I have thought Rodriquez has been looking pretty good on the ball of late (when he actually gets it). An injection of quality attacking play from anywhere on the pitch would improve us.

Better to buy a quality player in a less-important position than a panic buy striker who won't actually be an improvement on what we've got? I reckon it is. Get more quality players on the pitch and the overall quality will improve - I reckon that's what contributed to Long's success last season as much as anything.