Saints 1 MIddlesbrough 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

MotM vs Middlesbrough (Home 2016/17)  

277 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Middlesbrough (Home 2016/17)

One of the worst performances for a long time in that first half. Much better second, but the problems are still there - too negative for my liking. Against even a slightly better side (or possibly even Boro with Ramirez and Negredo) we would have dropped points today.

Something positive I took from that though was on a couple of occasions our centremids got into the box and had a chance on goal. Yes they missed them, but at least we're making the runs now.

24th match of the season. That's 9 cup games already. And we have at least 3 more. Some seasons we might play about three in total.

New manager, top half of the league. I think that's decent enough.

I thought Clasie had a really good game today but Boufal obviously takes the MOM vote with a great goal. He could end up being the most entertaining player we've had for a long time.

Should have scored two or three but decent enough.

Need to pick up some away wins now.

A win, and therefore I predict this thread will not make 12 pages.

It may do because we have to put up with " papered over the cracks " , wouldn't have won if we didn't score " " they were poor " & the classic " had Gaston been fit".

1-0's aren't good enough now, we need to play free flowing exciting football. Forget Boros decent away record , we should be ****ing nurdering them, Puel out

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

First half was poor but we were still way better than boro. Second half we were much improved. At the current time I can't say we are are any better or worse than last season a few of the details might be different but the results seem broadly similair. We still need to be more clinical in front of goal but that has been a problem for quite a few seasons.

Shout out for Jordy today best I've every seen him play in a saints shirt...which is just as well given how poor JWP was today.

awful 1st half and THAT was the immediate reaction to the dross in the last two games.

much better 2nd half when we switched from 433 to 4231.

it got another player further forward and of course, Boufal in the middle of the pitch

we are pretty crap as an attacking unit in general.

It may do because we have to put up with " papered over the cracks " , wouldn't have won if we didn't score " " they were poor " & the classic " had Gaston been fit".

1-0's aren't good enough now, we need to play free flowing exciting football. Forget Boros decent away record , we should be ****ing nurdering them, Puel out

Only second away game boro have lost all season.

First half was poor but we were still way better than boro. Second half we were much improved. At the current time I can't say we are are any better or worse than last season a few of the details might be different but the results seem broadly similair. We still need to be more clinical in front of goal but that has been a problem for quite a few seasons.

Shout out for Jordy today best I've every seen him play in a saints shirt...which is just as well given how poor JWP was today.

Stop trying to paper over the cracks.

First half was really flat, we were too slow to the 2nd balls and too slow to move it when we had it (same old, same old). Boro actually had the better of the first half in an attacking sense, but in all honestly it was a contest between two incredibly dull teams in that first half.

2nd half there was only one team in it. We came out with purpose, pressed them high and forced them into mistakes. We didn't pepper the goal, but we were comfortable in that 2nd half. Boro are a very well organised outlet, but similar to us, are very blunt in the final third ( until they brought Adama Traore on anyway).

Big 3 points, everyone needed that. I thought Clasie had a great game for me, always in their faces - and Jay ran himself to the ground, but still looks a few yards short of quality. Time will tell if that will ever return.

Big 3 points, everyone needed that. I thought Clasie had a great game for me, always in their faces - and Jay ran himself to the ground, but still looks a few yards short of quality. Time will tell if that will ever return.

Was listening on Solent and the reaction Clasie got when he got subbed was very telling. Really good reaction.

Very pleased for Jay to get 90 minutes. The question about Jay will well and truly be answered as it's literally him or Long as the central striker in 4-3-3, so he is guranteed minutes, at least.

Guessing Olomola might make the bench if either of them get injured too.

24th match of the season. That's 9 cup games already. And we have at least 3 more. Some seasons we might play about three in total.

New manager, top half of the league. I think that's decent enough.

I thought Clasie had a really good game today but Boufal obviously takes the MOM vote with a great goal. He could end up being the most entertaining player we've had for a long time.

Should have scored two or three but decent enough.

Need to pick up some away wins now.

I presume - given that we're in the league cup semis and have played in europe - that along with man u we've played more games than any other premier league team. Can anyone who can be ar$ed to look these things up confirm that? Or am I missing something?

Was listening on Solent and the reaction Clasie got when he got subbed was very telling. Really good reaction.

Very pleased for Jay to get 90 minutes. The question about Jay will well and truly be answered as it's literally him or Long as the central striker in 4-3-3, so he is guranteed minutes, at least.

Guessing Olomola might make the bench if either of them get injured too.

What about Austin, is he out for a long time?

Well....that papered over the cracks.......again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was saying the same thing on the way home , the goal just papered over the cracks of another terrible performance! Really not enjoying watching us atm it's becoming a struggle

Decent second half. The players seemed more up for it as soon as the whistle blew and we began to press rather than sit off them. Cracking goal from Boufal. Once that went in there was only one winner as Boro created nothing of note in the second half.

Rodriguez's general play looked sharper but the poor chap still can't finish from 2 yards which is even more frustrating when you have Boufal 2-0 as a bet.

Lots of comments on here very negative. To be honest if we had lost 5 in a row people would be saying keep it tight etc. I think puel is doing a great job. We have a completely new attacking line up and tadic has been injured. It was always gonnna take time. League cup semi and 10th in the league id have taken that at the beginning of the season. Get behind the team ffs

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Welcome three points.

Seems like the players and fans don't believe in the system / shape.

It will be the entertainment value rather than the results that kill Puel.

I agree with this. Puel's risk-averse, possession football is absolutely dire to watch compared to the football we have been blessed to watch over the last 5-6 years. Very pedestrian.

As to MoM, I thought Clasie had his best game in a Saints shirt today. Now he has to maintain that standard every time he plays. Quite why Puel plays him, JWP and ROmeu together beats me - sooo negative.

Great Boufal goal worthy of winning a dullish match between two defensive teams. Did what was required in second half. Happy to see Puel animated on the touchline after we scored. Think he gets way too much stick for his demeanour (yes I'd like to see him smile more but let's be fair, how many of us here are miserable gits too!) And fickle. Puel was a Yoshida header away from being a genius...Europa League knockouts, EFL semi and top half of the league...with a team devoid of striking options.

I think he's smart enough to know this is a game about GOALS. We need to be able to score them. Second lowest goalscorers in the Premier League starting today.

Not just a striker but midfielders who can score.

Would much rather be conceding a couple knowing we're likely to score two or three ourselves. This January window will define us...Puel needs to be given the chance to protect and invest. If we keep VVD, and bring in one or two proven goal scorers we could beat anyone and be entertaining.

Lots of comments on here very negative. To be honest if we had lost 5 in a row people would be saying keep it tight etc. I think puel is doing a great job. We have a completely new attacking line up and tadic has been injured. It was always gonnna take time. League cup semi and 10th in the league id have taken that at the beginning of the season. Get behind the team ffs

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Give me 17th no cup run and exciting football any day!

Just when I think Saints fans can't be after thicker than the likes of Saint Robbie or Alpine someone comes along and proves me wrong.

Sorry but I take no pleasure in watching saints these days didn't even cheer the goal , I pay my money to be entertained not spend 90 minutes bored stiff !

I agree with this. Puel's risk-averse, possession football is absolutely dire to watch compared to the football we have been blessed to watch over the last 5-6 years. Very pedestrian.

As to MoM, I thought Clasie had his best game in a Saints shirt today. Now he has to maintain that standard every time he plays. Quite why Puel plays him, JWP and ROmeu together beats me - sooo negative.

Its funny because I must be the only person who remembers standing through many poor games last season and quite a few the three seasons before that. This idea that previous seasons we played all conquering, exciting, attacking football week in week out is bizarre because its so untrue. We are this season what we have been for several seasons a decent mid table PL side with good (not outstanding players) who are inconsistent and capable of playing good football and bloody awful football quite often in the same game.

Sorry but I take no pleasure in watching saints these days didn't even cheer the goal , I pay my money to be entertained not spend 90 minutes bored stiff !

Get a different hobby then because the money you pay at football entitles you to nothing more than a seat in the stadium no club makes a promise of exciting, good, winning or entertaining football...

...personally I cheered the goal because it was a brilliant strike and I enjoyed the second half but each to their own.

Get a different hobby then because the money you pay at football entitles you to nothing more than a seat in the stadium no club makes a promise of exciting, good, winning or entertaining football...

...personally I cheered the goal because it was a brilliant strike and I enjoyed the second half but each to their own.

It's also entitles me to an opinion and I was under the impression "The Southampton way" was exciting attacking football?

It's also entitles me to an opinion and I was under the impression "The Southampton way" was exciting attacking football?

No you can have an opinion without paying for a seat at the stadium this forum has plenty of evidence of that. "The Southampton Way" is a bit of marketing crap not a guarantee of weekly exciting attacking football...

Lol - hope that silent protest made you feel better. Just get your hanky out and really go for it.

No you can have an opinion without paying for a seat at the stadium this forum has plenty of evidence of that. "The Southampton Way" is a bit of marketing crap not a guarantee of weekly exciting attacking football...

He a like the plank West Ham and Tottenham fans wistfully reminiscing on never ever witnessing goalless draws from yesteryear from their exciting teams

Glad to get the win today - I was worried 1st half when we weren't showing much ambition.

Much better 2nd half, cracking goal from Boufal, worthy matchwinner.

I don't think this was our best starting XI: no Cedric, Sims, Hojbjerg (or Austin, obviously); Bertrand, Yoshi unused on the bench; Redmond, Long & Davis didn't start.

Overall, we did alright, then.

As I've said before, time to reduce the rotation and have a more regular starting XI. Ever hopeful.

And... I wish commentators would stop remarking about VvD being linked to every 'top 6' club. He's ours, got a long contract and I hope he stays for a long time.

If Puel is in charge next season I will really think hard about renewing my ST. never been so bored watching Saints. Many other ST I know are saying the same thing.

You aren't the annoying tw at in Kingland yellling 'get it forward' all the time? If so pls fck off and don't renew.