Saints 1 MIddlesbrough 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

MotM vs Middlesbrough (Home 2016/17)  

277 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Middlesbrough (Home 2016/17)

Totally agree with this.

Was speaking with an Everton fan last night and he was telling me how they are so unimpressed with Ronald Konman at the moment.

It's starting to dawn on their fans that they may just have bought themselves a lemon.

Didn't realise that Everton are two points worse off this season than the same point last year. Oh dear.

Still not forgiven Puel for the abject European failure. Going to take a lot more than a lucky punt from 'Sick Note Boufal' to put that right. Bet he's missing again Wednesday. A cold wet night in Stoke will play havoc with his cold/fractured perm. He'll be back in bed with a Lemsip again while dull Claude explains his 'small injury'. Nice 3 points but Thursday still hurts so bad, the comfort of mid table obscurity doesn't quite make up for it. And don't get me started on the style of football.

Quite astonishing that he could rate Clasie at 5 and JWP at 6. Crook is also very harsh on Redmond, Rodriguez, Davis and even Martina who did some very good things offensively in the 2nd half. Quite a bewildering summary, though he gets it right with Fonte, McQueen and Boufal.

Not really astonishing as the bloke is an idiot. It is like Batman becoming a journalist. Good sources linking McQueen with Liverpool move. I wonder what is said at his annual appraisal - your target was to get one transfer story correct like as a journo you should have some decent contacts. Can't fathom why ESPN give him any work. Daily Star makes perfect sense.

we have replaced 3 players who were at their peak with 3 players who are 22 or younger. All three of them are exciting young talents but are not the finished article yet. Give them time.

You're seriously asking the Saintsweb Forum intelligentsia to give our new players time?

Chortle

:)

i have to say firstly i am very pleased that we got the three points. There are still issues that Boufalls goal cannot paper over. Is it Puels system or is it the players not carrying out his instructions correctly? Whatever the answer is there was still to much sideways and backwards stuff for me. The result buys Puel a bit more time but we desperately need a few new additions.

10th in the PL Semi Final of League Cup unlucky to be knocked out of Euro League on away goals with ten or so minutes to go.

Not bad I would have thought with lots of injuries to key players lots of games and a young team which is going to develop and become better.

Yes we need an outstanding striker but there are not many of them wanting to come to Southampton .

I think the future is looking good

Indeed. We have not, in any match this season, played as bad as our worst matches under Koeman.

And who can forget, "no plan B" Pochettino. What with all the sideways passing and that. Bloody passing!

Puel is getting unfair treatment.

Have to disagree with you there. Prague was absolutely shocking.

Didn't understand the Clasie sub as his best game for a while..

He had a touch of cramp, I believe.

Surprised j-Rod didn't get some as well, he worked so hard and looked exhausted at the end but was still defending from the front. He seems to be playing himself back to form and it was good to see him get 90 minutes. Their keeper had quite a number of hasty clearances to make when we stepped up our pressing.

Even Martina was better today: he didn't dwell on the ball so much and pushed forward to make the cross, helped by us having more players pushing a bit forward. The principal emotion is still one of relief, but that goal was icing on the cake of Bouffal's quick feet. When he and the team fully click there are going to be some delightful moments.

Didn't watch today but doesn't sound great. Boufal seems to have a bit of match winning quality, but we are so thin on the ground now for strikers.

Still, we only had 21 points after 17 games last season, so 1 from the next two games and we will be at the same level. Two tough games now, it seems everyone on here thinks Stoke and Bournemouth are better teams than us, so I guess we have no chance against either.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Still not forgiven Puel for the abject European failure. Going to take a lot more than a lucky punt from 'Sick Note Boufal' to put that right. Bet he's missing again Wednesday. A cold wet night in Stoke will play havoc with his cold/fractured perm. He'll be back in bed with a Lemsip again while dull Claude explains his 'small injury'. Nice 3 points but Thursday still hurts so bad, the comfort of mid table obscurity doesn't quite make up for it. And don't get me started on the style of football.

Hard to know where to start to criticise a post that appears so ill-judged. In my opinion we are better off out of Europe because squad rotation, essential with the number of games to play has undoubtedly affected results. But to call a 1-1 draw 'abject failure' when a 0-0 draw would have taken Saints to the first knock-out round is huge exaggeration. The description of Boufal's shot, powerful left-footed curler by a right-footed player is just silly, as it is to complain about a player who needed to be nursed back from a serious injury. Boufal's substitution after scoring suggests he is being rested in order to play on Wednesday. We are all entitled to our opinions perhaps but Kingsbridge has allowed his disappointment that Southampton will not be going on to win the Europa League, to cloud his judgement.

Let's not get you started again then. A sillier, more disrespectful post I haven't seen since Glasgow's last couple.

Just had a read back through the match thread.

There are some classic posts in there [emoji38]

The match thread is quite frankly embarrassing. Very, very funny, but quite embarrassing as well. (Although I very much doubt any fans from other teams would read it anyway, so I won't lose any sleep over it).

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

The match thread is quite frankly embarrassing. Very, very funny, but quite embarrassing as well. (Although I very much doubt any fans from other teams would read it anyway, so I won't lose any sleep over it).

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I thought it was another pretty **** performance. The first half was awful but we had started to improve before Boufal scored a brilliant goal out of nothing. The game changed after that with us being able to play on the counter attack slightly and we defended well, as we have done all season. The performance hasn't changed my opinion of Puel whatsoever, all it has done is highlight what a talent Boufal is and just how important he will be for us now. The criticism of Reed's transfer dealings I've always thought unfair mainly because our record signing has still to get himself full fit from his injury and adjusted to the league. But he will be a more than capable Mane replacement given time.

Everyone has given up on Rodriguez but I don't think Puel has helped him by constantly changing the team. With Austin's injury we need to give him a proper run in the side and let's see if he can get some of his old form back. I'm still hopeful for him

I actually thought that JRod played better up top than anyone else that has played there this season. He gave it his all and was very unlucky not to score.

We are still not exciting to watch but 2nd half was so much better than the 1st.

I would hate to watch Boro every week.

On a separate note, what a talent Boufal looks and can't wait until he is firing on all cyclinders. Surprise at just how good his English is too listening to his interview on the official site.

10th in the PL, Semi Final of League Cup, unlucky to be knocked out of Euro League on away goals with ten or so minutes to go.

Not bad I would have thought with lots of injuries to key players lots of games and a young team which is going to develop and become better.

Yes we need an outstanding striker but there are not many of them wanting to come to Southampton .

I think the future is looking good

Yes, but that's just papering over the cracks.

I really don't know what anyone sees in JWP except for the occasional good corner kick. If he wasn't "one of us", I don't think anyone would be pining for him to play for us.

He is a tidy no risk midfielder in the same mould as Davis. Definitely worth having around the first team with age on his side.

Loved Puels reaction to the goal yesterday, especially as the Saintsweb circle of morons claim that "He dunt ave no pashun"

TBF if he'd shown a 10th of that passion for Prague (away) or HBS (Thursday) we'd probably still be in the Europa cup....

Puels passions and priorities are not in sync with (most) Saints fans this season

by my calculations.. we were 5-6-4 last year after 15 matches .. 21 points... gave up 18 goals

..........(with Mane, Pelle, and Wanyama)

this year we are 5-5-5 after 15 matches.. so 20 points.. have given up 15 goals.

..........(while the squad was stretched thin fighting in two competitions during that time)

we may not finish in a flurry like we did last season, but it's not all as dire as some make it out to be. We aren't getting relegated and we still have a very real chance to play for a Trophy.

Chins up!

TBF if he'd shown a 10th of that passion for Prague (away) or HBS (Thursday) we'd probably still be in the Europa cup....

Puels passions and priorities are not in sync with (most) Saints fans this season

Yeah your probably right pal, I bet he's been itching to get the sack since he started, probably hates football and would rather iron his dîck flat than work in the English Premier League.

Have to disagree with you there. Prague was absolutely shocking.

It was way better than Bournemouth away or the dire cup performances against Palace and Sheff Utd under Koeman. In those games we could barely string two passes together.

In Prague we conceded from a set piece, dominated the match but lacked quality in the final third. In those Koeman matches we didn't do anything at all.

Koeman seems like a laugh to have a beer with and that seems to count for a lot amongst our fan base.

Clasie's best game for us, JWP not so good. Some good crosses from Martina, McQueen very good and JRod worked so hard. He was so unlucky not to score and a goal for him and Shane will do them the world of good. Boufal's goal was sublime.

If Puel is in charge next season I will really think hard about renewing my ST. never been so bored watching Saints. Many other ST I know are saying the same thing.

Then don't renew. It is sport, not the theatre. I assume you've only been going in the last three or four years, and probably leave on the 83rd minute of each game anyway.

Before the match, though I was unsure about a few areas of the team (J-Rod, Martina), my main concern was the pairing of JWP and Clasie as the two central midfielders. Neither naturally drive at defences or make runs into the box, so it wasn't a surprise to me that our play was pedestrian and dreadfully boring. I know that Clasie had a decent game, but not sure these two work in tandem very well.

He is a tidy no risk midfielder in the same mould as Davis. Definitely worth having around the first team with age on his side.

Skint - my observation tells me that JWP is not a midfielder in the same mould as Davis. Davis makes driving runs out of defence and into attacking areas; he also has good touch and passing range in dangerous areas (mostly). JWP seems a more static, recycling of possession type who seems to have a reputation for good dead ball delivery. What's the likeness you're seeing?

Skint - my observation tells me that JWP is not a midfielder in the same mould as Davis. Davis makes driving runs out of defence and into attacking areas; he also has good touch and passing range in dangerous areas (mostly). JWP seems a more static, recycling of possession type who seems to have a reputation for good dead ball delivery. What's the likeness you're seeing?

Neither of them know were the back of the net is?

Many issues still exist in our team / play but to grind out a win in any circumstance is nothing to be too upset about.

I wish we would be more attacking against teams that we could perceive as having less of a true counter attacking threat but I guess Puel is still weary of how easy teams found it to attack us on the counter in the first month of the season, especially out wide. I did moan about that back in August so I can't have it both ways!

Neither of them make a lot of runs on the ball - according to WhoScored, Romeu makes twice as many dribbles as either Davis or JWP, and based on watching them all, I'm surprised the delta isn't higher. Davis will run into space on the break when it's clearly open ahead of him, but he rarely looks to take on opponents and surge past people into the space beyond them.