Saints v WBA match thread

Shroppie

The lack of players making runs into the penalty area during open play means we're pretty static in the final 3rd. Still got a good goal from a set piece and then all they had to do was shut up shop for a couple of minutes and we'd have a half time lead. Am I alone in thinking WBA could even nick this on the break if they wanted?

Looking better going forward. No surprise as Redmond isn't playing.

Created chances against one of the best defensive teams and one who puts 10 players behind the ball.

Unlucky to be tied.

Still, I would like to see more of a passing game, move the ball quicker from side to side like the Spurs did with us, so it moves the defensive line of the opposition to create space. High crosses aren't effective against those huge CBs.

I'm impressed with Boufal's fight for the ball and body strenght. He protects the ball well for a small player.

Delighted to see Long finally score. Lovely long hug given by Tadic to him on the celebration. Everybody on the pitch knew it was a huge monkey off his back.

Bit more cutting edge 2nd half and we should win this. Need to get more bodies in the box from open play though.

WBA very very fortunate to be level. Having seen numerous replays on NBC of their goal, Yoshi was turned too easily and Forster was way too slow to get down and did not actually stretch out - if he did he would have saved it. Seemed like he was on his heels (again) which is why he was slow to get down.

We also need our full backs to offer more threat going forward.

why cant people comment when something is not up to that players own standards?

Because you have no idea as your biased with an agenda.sometimes the opposition do well as the BBC suggest 'Matt Phillips levelled to cap a slick move'

Matt Phillips has taken that so well it’s a moment of magic from Phillips and he’s placed it ever so brilliantly in the corner.”

Next time think about Terry Hurlock. I'm sure your partner understands that it can happen to anyone.

I think you should get a grip of yourself, for crying out loud.

Pleased that Long has broken his long goal drought.

Disgusted that we committed a schoolboy error of not concentrating from the restart and let a team of no goal threat back into the game.

Because you have no idea as your biased with an agenda.sometimes the opposition do well as the BBC suggest 'Matt Phillips levelled to cap a slick move'

Matt Phillips has taken that so well it’s a moment of magic from Phillips and he’s placed it ever so brilliantly in the corner.”

it is an opinion. neither right or wrong.

how about presenting an opinion on the game rather than other posters?
Our midfield are too slow to get into the opposition area, we drop too deep instead of pressing them in the centre of the pitch. Defensively we have generally handled the usual Pulis style. I think FF is a bit short of confidence, but hasn't been as 'at fault' for several of the goals we have conceded as other posters seem to feel.

Overall quite a few positives - it's not a surprise to me that with Tadic and Boufal on the pitch we look like creating more, and obviously Long getting a goal. We've passed the ball sideways a bit, of course, but it hasn't felt anywhere near as pedestrian as in previous games. West Brom are going to set their stall out and defend resolutely, so of course we're going to have to be a bit patient.

Not getting enough men in the box comes from two sources - why don't the wingers come in on the back post? And perhaps more importantly, why don't we see the central midfielders making late runs? I think this is probably where Puel errs on the side of caution a little too much, and the players have instruction not to abandon the shape.

Finally, another shot on target for the opposition and another goal. Once again there are (reasonable) claims that Forster should not be totally blamed for it, after all it was a decent shot into the corner. But surely he has to make a decent save at some point.