Puel In / Out 2017 Edition

St Chalet

Puel In  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Puel In

I'm standing by my initial view that it should be reviewed at the end of the season, and voting "in" for now. Main reason being, I think we'd have a better chance of selecting the right person for us at the end of the season, rather than who is merely available now.

That said, if results continue on a downward spiral it would be no surprise if he's out by the end of January.

I've voted out against my better judgement. I think he deserves to be judged at the end of the season and there have been some promising signs. However what concerns me is the lack of belief and fight in the players along with what appears to be a lack of leadership on and off the pitch. I'm hearing whispers he has lost senior members of the dressing room and once that happens then it's a case of when and not if.

The excuse it's not his team doesn't wash, it's still a squad packed full of internationals who have all performed better than they are at the moment. Reed was telling everyone who would listen only a few weeks back that our strategy doesn't rely on managers bringing in their own people. He seems to have scrapped his plans at the start of the season to play a diamond and now going 4-3-3 which is actually more like a defensive 4-1-4-1. he doesn't know what his best team is or his best formation and our previously solid defence looks a shambles. When you cant score and concede soft goals it's the perfect storm.

Good post Turkish - although I've fallen the other side of the fence and voted in, you've made some interesting pints there, and if true - esp losing the dressing room - then that would change my view,and I suspect Reeds.

I don't think there's too much wrong with the system. Some fans are just a bit dumb. It's like saying "opera is boring". It probably is if you don't have a clue what you're watching. If I've got a concern it's more about the psychological side and the mentality of the players because we seem to capitulate far too easily as soon as the opposition scores. We lack character at the moment.

However, if we scored a few more goals people would love our neat, controlled, technical football. It's small margins.

He's been left with a squad without a single top-half quality striker (taking into account Jay Rod's injury) and with a bunch of midfielders who probably haven't scored ten goals between them in the last 5 years. Then you've got a captain who seems to be restless over money / contract and a goalkeeper suffering from a crisis of confidence.

I'd say he's doing remarkably well in the circumstances.

People also forget how dire our football was under Koeman at times. Mane got him out of jail often.

Did he say as much in his immediate post-match interview or something? Or is there an article about this somewhere? Ta.

Yes was in post match statement after game v Spurs. We couldn't keep up pressing-I was amazed we did same thing second half.

It's the thing that has me concerned most of all - he doesn't seem to recognise and change things - Cherries apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted in because it's ****ing stupid to get rid of a manger after half a season when he's 10th in the league.

I always thought that this day would come, that the past 4 years were a " golden " period for our club, yes, it's pretty shocking that a "golden period" is 8/7/6 with no cup win or even a semi final, but you only have to look at our history to see this. All things being equal I would place this club in the top 12 of English football and would hope for a decent cup run ( and maybe European football) every couple of years. Therefore, I would take this season as about par , and you don't sack a bloke at par unless he's had time to mound the team, had time to develop the nippers and bring a couple of fresh faces in. He is suffering with comparisons with the 2 previous managers in the same way Chris Nicholl suffered after Lawrie ( not that I'm comparing this football to Chris' exciting brand) . However, it's not a comparison you can make ( with Poch & Ron ) . If this guy had Mane, Pelle & Vic and we'd had the same season id be with you outers, pitch fork in hand. But he's been dealt a poor hand by the board ( a hand I'm sure he knew was coming) and is doing an ok job with it. Nothing great, but nothing like as poor as some of you are making out.

I was considering the Chris Nicholl comparison last week when talking about Puel although I hadn't considered it in the context of having hard act(s) to follow. I think Puel, like Nicholl sufffers from poor communication. After Lawrie's golden performances in front of a camera or microphone, Nicholl always seemed to stutter and struggle in this aspect. The main difference though is that with Nicholl you could at least see what he was trying to do on the pitch.

The other consideration about the Chris Nicholl episode that always springs to mind is the lesson learnt over 'carful what you wish for'. Like many I thought by the end of his time with us he'd run out of steam, and wasn't motivational, so a change was required. Don't think any of us would really have swapped Nicholl for the calamity that followed.

Edited by Badger

In.

Rather disillusioned like many for similar reasons; style of football, hapoel game, lack of obvious passion (yes not all managers need to be raving loonies but a bit more oomph might be nice), comparisons with last season etc.

Don't get me wrong if we were perilously close to relegation it might be prudent to gamble but replacing him would be a gamble. For every great escape there is a dramatic collapse.

As long as we don't find ourselves in a relegation dog fight I am in favour of giving Puel time to get his own players in and settle his style of play (two seasons seems a fair chunk to judge - if we can afford the luxury of time). He may need time to adapt to the league and the players to his ideas - we all know our schedule has made this difficult. He does have a reputation for developing young talent which is massively important for us as a club and, for most, a genuine point of pride. As mentioned by others his only real signings were Pied (unlucky to be crocked so soon but we shall see ...) and Boufal (who looks like he may have some real magic).

Boufal wasn't a Puel signing.

I'm not impressed but not changing my mind on the vote yet, in , but think he'll leave before the end of the season. The end of January is the time for a mid season review, I think it's too early.

I don't understand the vitriol on here to those that voted out, or the continuing knocking of Koeman. Ronald did a great job in my opinion and he is the summer departure we miss most. I know we had bad games and depressing runs with him,but he game into a chaotic situation, qualified for Europe Twice and finished 7th and 6th.

I think Puel's is out of his depth and the football is dull but I'm prepared to give him longer to be proved wrong.

Having said that ,Puel's is the first manager we've had since the takeover that I won't be sad to see go if he left now. I was gutted when Pardew,Nigel,Poch and Ronald left.

I don't think there's too much wrong with the system. Some fans are just a bit dumb. It's like saying "opera is boring". It probably is if you don't have a clue what you're watching. If I've got a concern it's more about the psychological side and the mentality of the players because we seem to capitulate far too easily as soon as the opposition scores. We lack character at the moment.

However, if we scored a few more goals people would love our neat, controlled, technical football. It's small margins.

He's been left with a squad without a single top-half quality striker (taking into account Jay Rod's injury) and with a bunch of midfielders who probably haven't scored ten goals between them in the last 5 years. Then you've got a captain who seems to be restless over money / contract and a goalkeeper suffering from a crisis of confidence.

I'd say he's doing remarkably well in the circumstances.

People also forget how dire our football was under Koeman at times. Mane got him out of jail often.

You're on very dangerouis ground there. Are you saying that it's the fans fault for finding this walking football undelievably dull?

I'm not impressed but not changing my mind on the vote yet, in , but think he'll leave before the end of the season. The end of January is the time for a mid season review, I think it's too early.

I don't understand the vitriol on here to those that voted out, or the continuing knocking of Koeman. Ronald did a great job in my opinion and he is the summer departure we miss most. I know we had bad games and depressing runs with him,but he game into a chaotic situation, qualified for Europe Twice and finished 7th and 6th.

I think Puel's is out of his depth and the football is dull but I'm prepared to give him longer to be proved wrong.

Having said that ,Puel's is the first manager we've had since the takeover that I won't be sad to see go if he left now. I was gutted when Pardew,Nigel,Poch and Ronald left.

Would that be just before or just after the transfer window closes?

This time last year we were in a similar position - similar league position, similar points and in the middle of a similar meltdown and performance dip.

The differences this year are we've played a lot more games, we've lost two established goal scorers and our manager has only been here for half a season (vs 1.5 seasons) so hasn't fully made his mark yet.

We also know the manager himself isn't solely responsible for transfers, so it's unfair to lay the blame fully with him as we can all see a lack of goals is really hurting us. It's not all Puel's fault that we don't have more attacking options and it's not Puel's fault that we signed Redmond before appointing a manager who's system and tactics don't really work with a player like him, so he's having to adapt him.

Where we can blame Puel, as others have already said, is we seem mentally weak (the first goal conceded kills us) and our players who need consistent runs in the team to perform at their best aren't getting them due to his tinkering (Long, in particular).

Also, although we don't really know what's going on behind closed doors, I suspect there is a problem brewing with Fonte that's disturbing things. I don't buy the argument that he's to old to play multiple games in a week when similar aged or older players are doing it in the Prem right now... Zlatan being the obvious example. I think Puel could do better here... publicly saying he's being 'particular' with his contract isn't great man-management, for instance.

As for the entertainment value... the football is only called boring when we lose. When we win it's OK and when we win convincingly it's great. Even when we draw after a great performance (Liverpool at Home) it's not called boring.

This time last year we were in a similar position - similar league position, similar points and in the middle of a similar meltdown and performance dip.

The differences this year are we've played a lot more games, we've lost two established goal scorers and our manager has only been here for half a season (vs 1.5 seasons) so hasn't fully made his mark yet.

We also know the manager himself isn't solely responsible for transfers, so it's unfair to lay the blame fully with him as we can all see a lack of goals is really hurting us. It's not all Puel's fault that we don't have more attacking options and it's not Puel's fault that we signed Redmond before appointing a manager who's system and tactics don't really work with a player like him, so he's having to adapt him.

Where we can blame Puel, as others have already said, is we seem mentally weak (the first goal conceded kills us) and our players who need consistent runs in the team to perform at their best aren't getting them due to his tinkering (Long, in particular).

Also, although we don't really know what's going on behind closed doors, I suspect there is a problem brewing with Fonte that's disturbing things. I don't buy the argument that he's to old to play multiple games in a week when similar aged or older players are doing it in the Prem right now... Zlatan being the obvious example. I think Puel could do better here... publicly saying he's being 'particular' with his contract isn't great man-management, for instance.

As for the entertainment value... the football is only called boring when we lose. When we win it's OK and when we win convincingly it's great. Even when we draw after a great performance (Liverpool at Home) it's not called boring.

No, that's not true. Even when we win 1-0 it has been unbelievably boring.

Would that be just before or just after the transfer window closes?

After we've played the semi-final, Burnley,Swansea and Leicester,plus the FA Cup early rounds. We rarely buy major additions in January so I can't see the window making a huge difference either way. The squads good enough to stay up, if he was to be sacked I'd like a replacement in before the end of the season so they could make a proper assessment prior to the summer.

In - how quickly we seem to forget the dire effects of chopping and changing managers....or learn from others who do the same....take a look at Sunderland?

Puel was brought in to develop the younger players and to continue to expand the quality in the squad in this way. We aren't playing that badly, we are capable of playing the blistering football seen in the first twenty minutes of the Tottenham game so it's not like it's not within the capability.

I'm not sure what causes the heads to drop when things are going against us but if the players can (presumably) play as their manager wanted for chunks of the game then they can surely sustain it...we do have a goal scoring problem currently but would some genius on here like to provide the solution...who's available that's better than who we have and at a sensible price who would come in January.

We have the basis of a tidy, football-playing squad here...we have a blip in form (which apparently wouldn't happen if we got a new manager?) and there's panic from the usual suspects on here but the last thing we should do is panic in mid-season and sack a guy who is doing ok with the resources he has at his disposal. If we lose the next three (which in this league is infinitely possible) then maybe we should talk about it but the knee jerk strategy is mindless...look at the league table?

In - how quickly we seem to forget the dire effects of chopping and changing managers....or learn from others who do the same....take a look at Sunderland?

?

chopping and changing is the 'thing' since the Liebher's took over. it is what we do

For me he has to be given until at least the end of the season barring some extraordinary losing run or a complete loss of the dressing room. His current win % as manager is actually pretty close to what Pochs was with us (Puels 37.93% to Pochs 38.33%) and if you compare the % of games lost he’s actually close to Koemans figures (Puel 34%, Koeman 33%). The difference between the two being the number of games drawn rather than won though it’s obvious we are struggling to get goals with the current squad. The lack of a Mane style x-factor and unfortunate injury to our top scorer obviously don’t help with this but maybe the January transfer window will help reduce some of this problem.

The low points have had an impact on his perception I think – the dreary way we left Europe, our faltering home form and the current losses to our former managers in heavy defeats to Spurs and Everton haven’t endeared him and it’s true the style of play isn’t as entertaining as previous seasons and at times does look ineffective and can be extremely frustrating for fans.

On the other hand though he has led us to a Cup semi-final (which included a win over Arsenal at the Emirates) and a historical victory over Inter Milan (strength of the teams notwithstanding – especially as we have constantly rotated all season). The re-introduction of our academy players to the first team has also been a much welcomed addition by myself and others with McQueen and Sims in particular showing they are up to the task.

With the EFL semi-final to come and the F.A cup not even started yet for us, to remove the manager now would be to my mind ridiculous especially as the bottom teams still look to be at least as bad as us at our worst with a decent sized cushion still there.

I say give the man a chance to re-enforce in the transfer window, see how the cup runs play out and go from there. I believe it's more a case of adjustments needing to be made rather than whole-sale changes. Also, to equal or better last season we would have to do better over a whole season than at least one of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool or Spurs and while certainly not impossible I’d say it was always the less likely possibility so it was always going to be an uphill struggle for Puel in my point of view.

I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind a new poll a mere 3 days after the last one. Why would anyone change their opinion on the back of 2 results? (Yes, you're right... that was a rhetorical doffing hat to the fickle world of football fandom question)

A poll in, say, mid-Feb would be more apt IMO. By then we'll have a better idea of whether or not Puel is capable of turning things around.

Well a welcome change to the bog standard 'give him till Christmas' answer....

I think the question is are you for in or out now?

A vote for kick the can down the road for another six weeks isn't a voting option, however I would think meetings are going on behind the scenes as to what Puel's plan is. After all we were playing some decent football for a while and creating a hat full of chances then he appeared to change the style and I am not sure why...

It has to be said that individual mistakes cost us but on the other hand we did not score again and considering Everton and WBA were dire that is very worrying...

I would say look at it again after Burnley. The powers that be will know if morale is low because of Puel and what Puel's plan is.

Puel really does now need to take responsibility for picking his best team and stop hiding behind fixture congestion. He also needs to decide on his best tactical formation and get the team fit! We are obviously running out of steam very quickly in games despite all the rotation and despite also a policy of not closing down for Gods sake, this has to be addressed immediately !

Also this Eric Black appears to have been an abject failure everywhere he has been so what on earth is he doing here?

Oh and what's happening with non existent goalkeeping coaching????

Several issues going on which are being allowed to continue week in week out...

People need to be accountable for putting things straight before they are sacked and maybe it's higher up the food chain that accountability begins.......

In

He's lost our two biggest goal threats in Mane and Pelle and not had them replaced properly, and players like JWP, Clasie and Davis who provide absolutely no goal threat whatsoever are now having a more important role in the side. When RK came in he had a clean slate almost to build his team, he brought in Pelle, Long, Mane, Tadic, Toby, Fraser and Bertrand as well as Elia and Djuricic in January on loan. So far Puel has brought in Boufal, Pied (long term injury), Redmond and Hojbjerg, who apart from Pied are 23, 22 and 21 years old respectively. So he's brought in 3 unproven youngsters as opposed to RK's mix of experienced pro's and proven premier league players, and who knows how much of a say Puel has really had in the signings - I find it hard to believe a guy who came in from France went to Les Reed and said "please get me Nathan Redmond from Norwich".

Let the man build his team, we are not going to go down, and currently theres 10 other premier league teams who would love to be in our position. Yes, we are boring, but I put that largely down to boring players. Mane was the most exciting player we have had for years, he hasn't been replaced, of course we are going to lose a lot from that. It comes to something when our centre half is our best player, and our most likely matchwinner too. It could be argued that is reflective of the manager's style but for me it comes down to a very average squad with one or two fantastic players.

God how we could do with a Pelle type now, would even put up with listening to that prat who moaned about him every minute of the day if it meant we could get him back.

In

He's lost our two biggest goal threats in Mane and Pelle and not had them replaced properly, and players like JWP, Clasie and Davis who provide absolutely no goal threat whatsoever are now having a more important role in the side. When RK came in he had a clean slate almost to build his team, he brought in Pelle, Long, Mane, Tadic, Toby, Fraser and Bertrand as well as Elia and Djuricic in January on loan. So far Puel has brought in Boufal, Pied (long term injury), Redmond and Hojbjerg, who apart from Pied are 23, 22 and 21 years old respectively. So he's brought in 3 unproven youngsters as opposed to RK's mix of experienced pro's and proven premier league players, and who knows how much of a say Puel has really had in the signings - I find it hard to believe a guy who came in from France went to Les Reed and said "please get me Nathan Redmond from Norwich".

Let the man build his team, we are not going to go down, and currently theres 10 other premier league teams who would love to be in our position. Yes, we are boring, but I put that largely down to boring players. Mane was the most exciting player we have had for years, he hasn't been replaced, of course we are going to lose a lot from that. It comes to something when our centre half is our best player, and our most likely matchwinner too. It could be argued that is reflective of the manager's style but for me it comes down to a very average squad with one or two fantastic players.

God how we could do with a Pelle type now, would even put up with listening to that prat who moaned about him every minute of the day if it meant we could get him back.

I don't think he did bring Redmond in - did he? I think that was Reed?

I've gone out this time purely on the style of play our players are better than they are showing atm and we all know there's only one way that changes ! Yes I get we are still top half and in the semi but that matters none as far as I'm concerned (although i am still going to anfield clinging on to the hope I'll be seeing us get to a final) i just don't enjoy watching us anymore!

I honestly don't know. Which is exactly what the board are probably thinking at the moment.

Pony. The board know exactly what they think at the moment , they'll back Puel . Whether that's right is open to debate but trying to make out they are somehow thrashing around ,unsure of which way to go , is pure rubbish.

Ah, I get it now. Perhaps we should close our eyes during the game in order to appreciate it better.

Whitey, I believe you probably have about as much of an idea of what a hipster is as I have. I could be wrong but I think they may not be hippies.

It may not be Puels fault that Reed signed Redmond but Puel is the one who choses to have his name as first on the team sheet

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Found this little gem from our loon from scotland...... loves mopo now... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow_Saint View Post

12 reasons why i dont give a **** about Mopo!!

1) win % is very poor

2) no loyalty

3) had his head turned by 1st club showing any interest

4) doesnt/ wont speak English

5) never shown any love for club or fans

6) FA cup

7) one style, no plan B

8 ) hes easily replaceable

9) we have an amazing squad - any manager could have got us to 8th

10) he's a moody / ungrateful ****

11) £6m a year

12) hes won nothing as a manager

I back Puel, even though the football is miserable, he's a patsy in all this.

The problem we are facing could possibly be the following, just putting this out there for discussion...

Club is for Sale, and the owner doesn't want to put anymore money into the club.

Club doesn't want to purchase PL proven players, as it's up for Sale, and has been told it is self sustaining, which is why we have transfer money unspent after most windows.

PL TV money!!! not seen that being spent, unlike other teams.

Reed is my concern, as he's not answerable to anyone, so if he's crap and not purchasing good enough players, it's not the manager's fault, as they say you can't polish a turd. So probably for Reed to go, at least 2-3 managers and a Chairman before the **** rises to the surface.

I feel like this....

How many of them could be classified as 'good chances' though? You can also have a million shots on goal, but if you're shooting in non-threatening positions that won't matter.

For me, it's how we play. We're way too slow, allowing the opposition to easily organise defensively. There's no quick switch of play or patterning of play - it's a bit of a mess really.. the only thing I ever see is the intuitive overlap of the fullbacks and us banging crosses in to no-one in the area.

That 'style' of football is the coaching teams responsibility.

That said, we haven't invested properly either - but the team is far, far better than their performances suggest. A team on board with their manager would not churn out some of the terrible performances we've had to endure this season.

.... but there is no point sacking him now mid way through a season and with little on way of alternatives available.

Additionally, the board have to take some culpability if he turns out to be a failure and if they don't enable him some money to strengthen (backing him financially until the end of the season would be the correct thing to do IMO).

If things don't improve then for me, regroup in the summer and go for Marco Silva (someone else on here can validate his expertise and that he's a good fit for us).

Whitey, I believe you probably have about as much of an idea of what a hipster is as I have. I could be wrong but I think they may not be hippies.

I remember hippies. They were beatniks who had grown up and had childen and shaved off their beards. John Cage plays 4-3-3 too and it's marginally more exciting than what we play at the moment.

I though these were "hipsters"?

$_3.JPG?set_id=2

Mancini? Gary Rowett? Breitenreiter? Even Frank De Boer for god sake.

Don't rate Breitenreiter or Mancini, Rowett is promising but has never managed in a top league and I'm not sure his style would be compatible with ours. FDB could be a good fit, but if the major complain against Puel is that the football is dull, then FDB is certainly not an improvement.

De Boer failed miserably at Inter Milan, he's not good enough.

With some of the names being bandied about, I really worry that our fans lack ambition.

Almost identical win % as Puel this season. De Boer (36%) Puel (37%)

But career wise De Boers win percentage is much better than Puels.... 60% vs 42%

6 years of management and De Boer has also won 4 consecutive league titles, cups and manager of year awards. Puel has won zilch in over 15 years

Having turned down Pellegrini (my choice last summer) who would you go for ?

Schmitt from Mainz. Very good Swiss manager who has a small club punching well above it's weight and they play some really cracking football.

Julian Nagelsmann from Hoffenhiem. He's only 29 but again has a small club up to 4th and playing outstanding football.

I voted out I didn't like the new system from the start and have said so, thought we needed a striker in the summer definitely need one now yet he believes we don't.

Not happy with the style of play so dull, I think we have got this appointment wrong

I agree with you. I really wanted it to work out but the pathetic capitulations in Europe sealed it for me.

Almost identical win % as Puel this season. De Boer (36%) Puel (37%)

But career wise De Boers win percentage is much better than Puels.... 60% vs 42%

6 years of management and De Boer has also won 4 consecutive league titles, cups and manager of year awards. Puel has won zilch in over 15 years

2.1/10

Obvious case of apples and pears. Managing Ajax is easy compared to the positions Puel's held. You're better than that.

Schmitt from Mainz. Very good Swiss manager who has a small club punching well above it's weight and they play some really cracking football.

Julian Nagelsmann from Hoffenhiem. He's only 29 but again has a small club up to 4th and playing outstanding football.

Thanks have to admit not heard of them but it would be a gamble on picking someone with no Prem experience twice in a season?

I'm voting 'In' because I believe he should have a chance to bring in his own players and turn it around, and that includes the type of football we are playing which has become insipid at times. I always thought this season would be a mid table season with the failure to bring in a decent striker, so I am not seeing anything that I'm not expecting.

I don't believe we should be in any threat of relegation, so all we have to play for this season is the League Cup Semi's and the FA Cup. Happy to review at the end of the season and go from there.

Pretty much my own thoughts echoed there.

That's like saying we should go for Brendan Rodgers because he's going to win title after title, cup after cup in Scotland.

Yeah id take Brendan Rodgers over Puel, not simply because hes done well at Celtic but because his record as a manager is better than Puels and his style of play much better. Premier league experience too