Manchester United Away Thread

Pamplemousse

I can understand this selection. He's gone with players who will stay in January.

Like it or not, Gab is probably off in January back to Italy, he hasn't settled down well and has struggled with the language and lifestyle.

Lemina looked awful against Spurs, he's still injured and needs more time so he's being rested today.

Targett also picked up a knock against Spurs, so he's being replaced by McQueen who is itching for first team football.

I think this team has been put out to appease players and show he is "thinking of the squad", but come the end of January the team will look far different with the new acquisitions that are due to come in.

With the spectre of VVD finally lifted they will absolutely beast those puny forwards. JWP will be picking the corners with 35 yard swerving free kicks. Long will judge the offside trap perfectly time and time again and Tadic and Redmond will be skinning fullbacks and whipping in perfect crosses to the forwards and supporting midfielders in the box.

It's what they should all be bloody doing!

I can understand this selection. He's gone with players who will stay in January.

Like it or not, Gab is probably off in January back to Italy, he hasn't settled down well and has struggled with the language and lifestyle.

Lemina looked awful against Spurs, he's still injured and needs more time so he's being rested today.

Targett also picked up a knock against Spurs, so he's being replaced by McQueen who is itching for first team football.

I think this team has been put out to appease players and show he is "thinking of the squad", but come the end of January the team will look far different with the new acquisitions that are due to come in.

I’m holding on to hope for your last sentence.

What a completely uninspiring lineup.......and how the f**k does Long keep starting. He would miss a barn door from 2 yards out. Shows what a gash squad we actually have.

Maybe there's truth to the rumours that Gabbi's off. For all the pony about rotating players, it's now the second straight game that Long has started. Or possibly MP doesn't rate Gabbi. Hard to believe that playing on the counter means that Long is almost always the answer.

Rather strange lineup.

Mccarthy, happy he's getting a chance.

Stephens, why is he at right back again rather than as a 3 man defence. Why is Pied considered so poor he can't play right wing back.

Romeu: who was horrendous against Spurs keeps his place

Long, makes sense to play him just as it did when he was effective away to man city. until we buy someone else with pace to replace him he's always going to be the option for this sort of game.

Rather strange lineup.

Mccarthy, happy he's getting a chance.

Stephens, why is he at right back again rather than as a 3 man defence. Why is Pied considered so poor he can't play right wing back.

Romeu: who was horrendous against Spurs keeps his place

Long, makes sense to play him just as it did when he was effective away to man city. until we buy someone else with pace to replace him he's always going to be the option for this sort of game.

Agree re McCarthy. FF has had the yips for 18months now

Stephens - who says it isn't a back three?

Romeu - yes he was poor, but not as poor as Lemina. I hope the reason is Lemina is carrying a knock - he hasn't been the same since he came back from injury.

Long - agree. I guess Gabbi is off.

Finally, somebody gets it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tbf he played against Tottenham and didn’t touch the ball.

I understand why Long has been selected, but in games like this you need to take your chances. Long won’t.

Also, gabbi is pretty quick, quick enough to do that job but I’m just not sure he has the work rate to.

I'm going with a 3-1 Man Utd win, we might threaten occassionally but the pace and power of Lukaku and co and Pogba running past the likes of JWP and straight at Yoshida will be a nightmare to deal with. Jack Stephens has to be 100 times better than the **** show he put up against Spurs.

Boufal HAS to support Long, and Tadic i wish wasn't playing but what is the alternative? Redmond? This is where we need young hungry players from our u23 ready to step up. Frankly I'd rather get beaten with a bunch of hungry youngsters who will learn and can only improve than journeymen who have been at the club too long and have gone stale like Tadic.

I think we could put in a surprise performance or play well for 30 mins and then get sucker punched which drains all the confidence out of this team, the Spurs game and Leicester game showed what this team is made of and that is glass like confidence which shatters, we're easy meat for any team that has the ability to hit us on the break and run straight at us. Especially with how Pellegrino has us playing. We don't press and when we do rarely press it's messy and uncordinated and leaves us open.

I like to think this is Pellegrino's last game and Reed has already told him as much and he's told him to give some "bit part players" like McQueen/McCarthy and Long a start at Old Trafford.

Everything is pointing to a bloodbath unfortunately. Don't rate united but their power and pace will be too much for our midfield and defense.

Lukaku up against Yoshida / Stephens..... very strong chance he’ll refind his form again today.

Tbf he played against Tottenham and didn’t touch the ball.

I understand why Long has been selected, but in games like this you need to take your chances. Long won’t.

Also, gabbi is pretty quick, quick enough to do that job but I’m just not sure he has the work rate to.

He’s not physical enough. Longs far from perfect, but he’s the only player that could play isolated alone.

Maybe there's truth to the rumours that Gabbi's off. For all the pony about rotating players, it's now the second straight game that Long has started. Or possibly MP doesn't rate Gabbi. Hard to believe that playing on the counter means that Long is almost always the answer.

If he hasn't settled and wants to go back, that's a real shame. If he leaves because MP doesn't rate him, it's a bleeding and unforgivable travesty.

Everything is pointing to a bloodbath unfortunately. Don't rate united but their power and pace will be too much for our midfield and defense.

It always has been. We are sh1t and don’t look interested against one of strongest teams in league away. Still i will have faith as put in good shift against City.....well for first 5 mins at least

So that's both Gabbiadini and Austin he seemingly doesn't rate,although they are the only ones likely to score. Despite this he still fails to consider whether playing an isolated striker might be the problem.

Dropping Forster is fine, the level of back up isn't

Playing Stephens at right back has already proved to be madness

Yoshida and hoed the are not a premier league standard centre back pairing

I'm assuming target has a knock, otherwise that's an odd one

Romeu was gash at Spurs, but at least he's not dropped Hojberg

Lemina is clearly not fit so makes sense to rest him. Makes no sense to have him on the bench though

He's not pairing tadic and Davis in the same team which is a bonus

He is, however, pairing tadic and jwp which is not a bonus

Long playing must mean the rumours of gabbi not settling and moving on true, which is a shame

And with no gabbi, Austin injured and long not being able to score we are royally screwed up front.

Otherwise, all is well.

Whilst dropping FF can only be applauded when taken at face value, why has it taken this long. He's been sh!t all season so why not do it sooner and give McCarthy an easier introduction than away to feckin Man Utd?

Must be the Kelvin Davies effect. No coincidence that KD is made senior first team coach and the next day FF is dropped

Can I just say fair play to every Saints fan that have traveled up to Manchester today, here's hoping we all have something to cheer about!

He’s not physical enough. Longs far from perfect, but he’s the only player that could play isolated alone.

Neither are suited to the way MP (and Puel to a degree) play. That’s why we look so much better when Austin is up there.

Imo, we need to really change the way we play and take the game to the big teams. We might get beaten, sometimes heavily, but that is no different to what is happening at the moment.

Must be the Kelvin Davies effect. No coincidence that KD is made senior first team coach and the next day FF is dropped

Do you honestly believe that an assistant coach would pick the team? I would say it is pure coincidence (and the fact FF has been sh!te for 18 months now).

We might win, miracles happen.

The table shows we are in a relegation fight, surely people are not still denying this.

It's taken a long time for the penny to drop,but I think the stark realism is beginning to dawn on them. Still Pompey derbies to look forward to next season.