Alex McCarthy

Heisenberg

7 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

While i’d Prefer we had Johnstone I just don’t see how using our remaining budget on that position, when today showed we desperately need a cb would be crazy.

I'd blow all the budget on getting in Johnston, a good keeper commands and sorts out the defence. McCarthy is bollocks at doing this, far too passive. Forster is a little better, but not much. If we don't sign a keeper then we are going to have this pathetic  policy that Ralph keeps rotating the keepers. We need a clear and obvious number one.

Every goal was his fault imo. The first one a good keeper either claims that or makes a call, he didn't take charge of a situation he had a much better view of and let a young CB get caught in nomans land, although Salisu was also poor. Second, for me you can't be beaten at your near post from there. Third was probably the harshest as it was a free header from 6 yards out but it was straight at him and it went through him somehow.

I don't think Forster is better either, we need to spend some of this money on a new keeper sharpish. A good keeper maybe lets in one of those and then we are still in it.

• Haha 1

Do whatever it takes to get Sam Johnstone. I accept we are paying FF and AM big money but we have to bite the bullet or we risk losing far more by the very real prospect of relegation if we rely on these two who are not even close to the level required. Goalkeeper is such a key position - a good one can save you many points and a bad one saps confidence in his defenders and costs points.

3 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

While i’d Prefer we had Johnstone I just don’t see how using our remaining budget on that position, when today showed we desperately need a cb would be crazy.

If the keeper isn’t making howlers or letting in soft goals every game the defence gain confidence and don’t panic all the time knowing one mistake could cost them. This confidence flows through the team letting the DMs and other more forward players relax a bit and play their own game.

A few good stops per game is worth lots of points that we are just not getting with our current keepers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

If the keeper isn’t making howlers or letting in soft goals every game the defence gain confidence and don’t panic all the time knowing one mistake could cost them. This confidence flows through the team letting the DMs and other more forward players relax a bit and play their own game.

A few good stops per game is worth lots of points that we are just not getting with our current keepers.

Look at the difference Niemi made when he came in. Jones was okay, better than we have now but Niemi was a class act. He had an aura of confidence about him and we went on to have one of the best defences in league for a couple of seasons. (Yes I know he had a nightmare at fratton park)

• Like 2

McCarthy has let in 41 goals in the 15 games he's played so far this year. When you are letting in 2 or3 or even more goals every game, it's almost impossible to win games, as it was again yesterday.

Our only clean sheets in the last year have been when Forster has been in goal. When McCarthy was out with a virus and Forster played in the 1-0 win v Liverpool we were on top of the world. Then Ralph replaced him with McCarthy again and it's been pretty much downhill ever since, apart from when he picked Forster again briefly when we needed to avoid relegation, and we won a few games against Sheffield United, Burnley and Palace, and had our run to the FA Cup Semi-Final with 4 consecutive clean sheets.

• Like 2

We need a better keeper than McCarthy, think we all can agree on that. But to blame all of the goals on him is a bit ridiculous. 99/100 keepers wouldnt have saved the 2nd one, front post or not it makes little difference. Third aswell, not his fault DCL has a free header 5 yards out. Even if he had've saved it, he likely would have been there for the rebound

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

McCarthy has let in 41 goals in the 15 games he's played so far this year. When you are letting in 2 or3 or even more goals every game, it's almost impossible to win games, as it was again yesterday.

Our only clean sheets in the last year have been when Forster has been in goal. When McCarthy was out with a virus and Forster played in the 1-0 win v Liverpool we were on top of the world. Then Ralph replaced him with McCarthy again and it's been pretty much downhill ever since, apart from when he picked Forster again briefly when we needed to avoid relegation, and we won a few games against Sheffield United, Burnley and Palace, and had our run to the FA Cup Semi-Final with 4 consecutive clean sheets.

Yet he somehow continues to cling to the belief that AM is a better option than FF. Ok, we're talking the lesser of two evils here but at least pick the right one.

35 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Personally don't see it. At the point Mccarthy stops coming and decides to set himself instead, Richalison clearly would have got there first and the same people criticising him for staying would be criticising him for coming for a ball he was never going to get.

image.png.b58f33707fc2ca145f677f3534d0b2a1.png

I think FF would have at least got himself forward and in Richarlson's face and made himself big to make the forward's job more difficult. AM just waved his arms above his head as though surrendering.

55 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Personally don't see it. At the point Mccarthy stops coming and decides to set himself instead, Richalison clearly would have got there first and the same people criticising him for staying would be criticising him for coming for a ball he was never going to get.

The ball actually lands just in front of where McCarthy’s left foot is in that photo. With McCarthy’s extra reach it would have been a simple punch clear. To say the Richarlison clearly would have got there first is not true.  The ball drops two yards inside the goal area in which the goalkeeper ought to be dominant. Even Salisu could see that and clearly expected McCarthy to deal with it. As did everybody else. There are five Saints defenders in that shot and yer Richarlison gets to where the ball is about to drop and volleys it below waist height.

Goalkeeper’s ball in every game that I’ve ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

For me they are both at fault, but I still think a goalkeeper should be bossing that situation a lot more. He just hesitated for that split second and it kills you.

Communication was shit as well, I'd have expected my goalie to shout at Salisu to make him aware of Richarlisons presence but there was nothing. Just stood there like a gormless oaf. Didn't speak, didn't move, and over him it went. 

I never hear McCarthy shout, never. You hear Fraser when he's playing, but never McCarthy. The most passive goal keeper we have ever had and is now incapable of saving anything.

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

The ball actually lands just in front of where McCarthy’s left foot is in that photo. With McCarthy’s extra reach it would have been a simple punch clear. To say the Richarlison clearly would have got there first is not true.  The ball drops two yards inside the goal area in which the goalkeeper ought to be dominant. Even Salisu could see that and clearly expected McCarthy to deal with it. As did everybody else. There are five Saints defenders in that shot and yer Richarlison gets to where the ball is about to drop and volleys it below waist height.

Goalkeeper’s ball in every game that I’ve ever seen.

No it doesn't.

image.png.59220c54cff52521ac4022665bc72348.png

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

For me they are both at fault, but I still think a goalkeeper should be bossing that situation a lot more. He just hesitated for that split second and it kills you.

Communication was shit as well, I'd have expected my goalie to shout at Salisu to make him aware of Richarlisons presence but there was nothing. Just stood there like a gormless oaf. Didn't speak, didn't move, and over him it went. 

I never hear McCarthy shout, never. You hear Fraser when he's playing, but never McCarthy. The most passive goal keeper we have ever had and is now incapable of saving anything.

It’s a consequence of messing about with personnel. 

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s a consequence of messing about with personnel. 

I don't buy that. I think it's as simple as that neither are good enough. A run of games is not going to make McCarthy more competent. 

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

No it doesn't.

image.png.59220c54cff52521ac4022665bc72348.png

That proves my point. If McCarthy had rushed walked out for it he could have punched it clear. At the very least he should have been in Richarlison’s face.  By the time the ball is kicked it is closer to McCarthy that Richarlison in your first photo.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I don't buy that. I think it's as simple as that neither are good enough. A run of games is not going to make McCarthy more competent. 

No, it won’t, but playing with the same people in front of him ought to build some sort of understanding between them. If if doesn’t then the simple explanation is obviously the right one. He’s just not good enough.

Forster is not as good as he once was, but McCarthy is going backwards. Literally.

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

That proves my point. If McCarthy had rushed walked out for it he could have punched it clear. At the very least he should have been in Richarlison’s face.  By the time the ball is kicked it is closer to McCarthy that Richarlison in your first photo.

No he couldn't have. Where Richarlison hits it is well in advance of where Mccarthy stopped coming forward a second before.

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Yeah, I'd agree neither are good enough. We've not swapped them around like crazy,  it was just a little experiment at the back end of last season - in the main McCarthy has been number 1 for 90% of Ralphs tenure and he was always average, sadly he has now regressed beyond anyone's worst nightmares.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

No he couldn't have. Where Richarlison hits it is well in advance of where Mccarthy stopped coming forward a second before.

Not sure why you're sticking up for McCarthy, it was horrific hesitation and horrific communication.

Salisu equally - horrific lack of awareness of what is around him and too slow to react. Both were at fault, but I still want my goalie to take charge of that situation. Do something, the worst thing he could have done is just stood there. Which he did.

McCarthy always retreats into his goal when there are crosses or corners, often behind the goal line, where it is impossible to make a save. He is afraid of physical contact as he was when Richarlison approached the goal yesterday.  That is responsible for a lot of the goals we concede.  His reflexes are far too slow so he starts his dives too late and, as was the case yeterday, is too slow to put his arms up to stop shots. That would have been a fairly straightforward save for other goalkeepers yesterday.  They would have just thrust their arms up and made themselves big as Forster always does. You could see McCarthy was still thinking about whether to jump and head the ball or use his arms. In the end, he did neither. He concedes a lot of goals like that, expecially from tight angles at his near post, where other goalkeepers are almost never beaten. 

Overall his key poblems are nervousness/fear and slow reflexes. He may be a nice person but he shouldn't be a goalkeeper.

10 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No, it won’t, but playing with the same people in front of him ought to build some sort of understanding between them. If if doesn’t then the simple explanation is obviously the right one. He’s just not good enough.

Forster is not as good as he once was, but McCarthy is going backwards. Literally.

Yeah I get that, and I guess your point it that anything that helps, would be a help. 

Agreed re McCarthy. He's regressed big time.

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I'd agree neither are good enough. We've not swapped them around like crazy,  it was just a little experiment at the back end of last season - in the main McCarthy has been number 1 for 90% of Ralphs tenure and he was always average, sadly he has now regressed beyond anyone's worst nightmares.

I think last season was giving them both a chance to impress him, and put themselves in the shop window at the same time. 

Just now, egg said:

I think last season was giving them both a chance to impress him, and put themselves in the shop window at the same time. 

And I don't think either did impress him or put themselves in the shop window. A right old mess.

Ralph did make an interesting post-match comment yesterday, if you heard.  I think it was relating to their third goal where he was questioning our goalkeeping, so he's clearly aware. I just don't think we have the money to fix it, not with the other priorities we've got.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

And I don't think either did impress him or put themselves in the shop window. A right old mess.

Ralph did make an interesting post-match comment yesterday, if you heard.  I think it was relating to their third goal where he was questioning our goalkeeping, so he's clearly aware. I just don't think we have the money to fix it, not with the other priorities we've got.

Yep, it went badly! 

I didn't hear his comments but agree that the money probably isn't there to fix the problem, sadly. 

Whichever one you prefer, the simple facts are that Forster concedes fewer goals than McCarthy, keeps more clean sheets and we win more points in the games he plays. Football is a ruthless business. You can't afford sentiment. If Ralph continues his sentimental attachment to McCarthy, we'll be relegated, for sure.

Although, I must admit that in our next game against Man United, the difference between Forster and McCarthy will probably only be a 1-3 defeat as opposed to a 1-6 one. (Armstrong to score).

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

On 15/08/2021 at 12:43, Nordic Saint said:

McCarthy always retreats into his goal when there are crosses or corners, often behind the goal line, where it is impossible to make a save. He is afraid of physical contact as he was when Richarlison approached the goal yesterday.  That is responsible for a lot of the goals we concede.  His reflexes are far too slow so he starts his dives too late and, as was the case yeterday, is too slow to put his arms up to stop shots. That would have been a fairly straightforward save for other goalkeepers yesterday.  They would have just thrust their arms up and made themselves big as Forster always does. You could see McCarthy was still thinking about whether to jump and head the ball or use his arms. In the end, he did neither. He concedes a lot of goals like that, expecially from tight angles at his near post, where other goalkeepers are almost never beaten. 

Overall his key poblems are nervousness/fear and slow reflexes. He may be a nice person but he shouldn't be a goalkeeper.

He doesn't put himself in harms way so never gets a block in by quickly closing down the attacker. What was he doing while the ball was looping in. He was facing the play but didn't anticipate what was happening. As soon as the ball was headed goalwards he should have got to it first.

• Like 3

On 15/08/2021 at 12:43, Nordic Saint said:

Always looks a bit smug to me.

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm almost certain that the reason we haven't got a keeper in is because Forster is on a ridiculous amount of money and we can't afford another load of wages spaffed up the wall in that position. Not getting a keeper in makes no sense otherwise. 

Yep, got to be it. Forster and McCarthy on £140k or so week between them. With our limited finances they wont bring someone else in. So make do with what you’ve got

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm almost certain that the reason we haven't got a keeper in is because Forster is on a ridiculous amount of money and we can't afford another load of wages spaffed up the wall in that position. Not getting a keeper in makes no sense otherwise. 

Exactly that. I'm fairly certain that if we'd have had a taker for Forster then we'd have gone all out and bought a new GK. 

Part of me feels that we're leaving a little bit of the money from this window to one side so we can react early in that market next summer, rather than having to wait for a sale first.

I think the reason McCarthy is favoured by Ralph is that he sees him as likely to sign a new contract extension.  Rumour I think I read somewhere is that Forster will not, on the terms being offered.  Personally I think Forster just about offers us more but at a price that the club clearly not prepared to pay next season so he is back up at present.  

4 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

I think the reason McCarthy is favoured by Ralph is that he sees him as likely to sign a new contract extension.  Rumour I think I read somewhere is that Forster will not, on the terms being offered.  Personally I think Forster just about offers us more but at a price that the club clearly not prepared to pay next season so he is back up at present.  

No. Please God no.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weston Saint said:

It’s true. Supposedly Forster turned down a new deal and will leave when his contract runs out. McCarthy has agreed a new deal and will stay being number one this season.