Alex McCarthy

Heisenberg

Just now, Chez said:

Very strange decision for the manager to (effectively) say that Forster is out of here next summer when he may need to rely on him this season. Why not keep your powder dry? Maybe Forster informed the club he wanted to leave, thus he wasn't revealing anything Forster didn't already know.

Ralph obviously feels McCarthy proved himself last season. Not sure I agree.  

This is what I was thinking, so how bad does McCarthy have to be this season to be dropped? He also already been instrumental in us conceding 2 goals 

and if he does become absolutely unpickable, what frame of mind will Forster be in when he comes in?

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Signing a new contract is shit but understandable if we didn't want to leave ourselves trying to sign two keepers next summer. 

I guess the question is, would it be possible to sign two keepers, both better than McCarthy, with next to no funds? 

Nice to have a clean slate, but equally, having a `steady' keeper at the club is n bad thing, assuming McCarthy can be considered steady. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

I guess the question is, would it be possible to sign two keepers, both better than McCarthy, with next to no funds? 

Nice to have a clean slate, but equally, having a `steady' keeper at the club is n bad thing, assuming McCarthy can be considered steady. 

I agree, but that falls about if the club are going to keep McCarthy as number one and sign a youngster to be his backup rather than going all out for experience.

1 minute ago, MAY-Z said:

This is what I was thinking, so how bad does McCarthy have to be this season to be dropped? He also already been instrumental in us conceding 2 goals 

and if he does become absolutely unpickable, what frame of mind will Forster be in when he comes in?

The frame of mind where he needs to perform to earn a new contract somewhere else??

1 minute ago, MAY-Z said:

If McCarthy's form is not good and then Forster comes in, it will look terrible that the former has the new deal and the latter is leaving. Ralph isn't going to drop McCarthy, unless he absolutely has to - whatever that means - as it will make the decision look terrible. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

If McCarthy's form is not good and then Forster comes in, it will look terrible that the former has the new deal and the latter is leaving. Ralph isn't going to drop McCarthy, unless he absolutely has to - whatever that means - as it will make the decision look terrible. 

Yep, this is absolutely terrible and has the potential to derail a lot of other good work done over the summer 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Fraser wasn't going to sign a new contract, what do you do??

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I agree, but that falls about if the club are going to keep McCarthy as number one and sign a youngster to be his backup rather than going all out for experience.

The thought process will be to buy a younger (cheaper) keeper and if he is good enough, he replaces McCarthy sooner or later. That seems to be the new model. Buy players and promote. That said ,we have seen young players get that promotion quickly already. All we can hope for is the new `young' keeper is the nuts and he has to be picked.

A lot of revisionism on here suggesting that Forster is much better than McCarthy. McCarthy has fallen into some truly terrible form as of Christmas last year, prior to that I think we’d have all been pretty concerned about Fraser becoming number 1. Neither are great at the moment, I just hope McCarthy can overcome what looks like a complete lack of confidence/form.

19 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Who are worse first choice keepers? In the premier league. This season or last. 

Your thing is logic and zero emotion right? So why would a club allow a position to be ignored for a season? A decision that could ultimately mean relegation. When bringing in near £50m in fees and unloading huge wages. Why would they not allocate a fee and wages to a position we are so desperately lacking in?  

McCarthy and Gunn were signings that didn't prove good enough, fair enough it happens. But the persistence with McCarthy is pure incompetence and really calls staff judgement into question. If this was any other club we'd be mocking them for it. 

I'd literally rather have signed Joe Hart ffs. A keeper whose career has imploded, yet still a far superior option to McCarthy. But we could have been chasing people like Johnstone, Areola, Romero, Strakosha. Is it now going to be a case of signing another youngster to be back up to McCarthy?

Dress it up how you want, but rewarding the incompetence McCarthy has consistently shown makes the club look ridiculous.

I did not say he is a good first choice keeper.

I'd prefer Fraser Forster to be playing. If McCarthy is staying and Forster leaving as seems the case, then I hope it is to be a back-up to the new keeper next summer.

Clearly something has gone on behind the scenes in the GK department. I hope a decent option for an improvement on McCarthy comes up next summer, as it's a position we really need to improve in.  McCarthy is so poor.  Forster is reported to be on a higher wage, so assuming that's why they've chosen to keep Macca and move Forster on finally.

Not sure what happens if Macca has a really poor season and then Forster comes in and does well. Sounds like there is little route back for Forster now.

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

The thought process will be to buy a younger (cheaper) keeper and if he is good enough, he replaces McCarthy sooner or later. That seems to be the new model. Buy players and promote. That said ,we have seen young players get that promotion quickly already. All we can hope for is the new `young' keeper is the nuts and he has to be picked.

Think GK's are a bit different to other positions though, they peak and mature later. Bringing in an u21 (or even u25) in that position is a big gamble - not the same as a Livramento type move. 

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

The new keeper would have to be able to challenge for the starting place. I don’t think there is any other PL side that doesn’t have two effective first team keepers that can be inter changeable.  

otherwise it’s a big risk to have to go into the loan market as an emergency.

no idea what the keeper market is like this summer but I hope the club are starting on the search for one now to bring them in early next summer. 

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

Think GK's are a bit different to other positions though, they peak and mature later. Bringing in an u21 (or even u25) in that position is a big gamble - not the same as a Livramento type move. 

Ever since De Gea went to United everyone has been trying to sign a 21 year old keeper who will be their number 1 forever. 

What people forget about the goalkeeper position is you can sign an experienced goalkeeper at 28 years old and still have him be your number one for anywhere up to 10 years. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I take with a pinch of salt the stuff about signing an understudy. Think it's likely fluff to go alongside a contract renewal for our current first choice. Hardly likely to come out and say next season we'll replace him. 

Yep. He's adequate backup for next year. Bit mad that he will be first choice all of this season though but never mind. All the fluff about being the best is just part of the fluff piece for the article. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Both keepers are poor make no mistake but out of the two at the moment id rather see fraser in goal.

He is the better shot stopper of the two and sometimes just the sheer size of a lump in goal can put strikers off.

The goal conceded and united was soft, I know it went through salisu's legs and McCarthy might have seen it late but

it wasn't struck with any particular venom and you don't expect it to go through your keepers legs as well! 

All depends where the shots go. Let’s not be revisionist about FF eh he let plenty past him that were very close and not deflected etc.

No problem with AM being Southampton's long term number 2 and I assume FF has said definitively he wont sign a new contract under any circumstances.  However, hopefully FF and the club are still on good terms as AM is a pretty poor number 1 and at the very least we need some decent competition this season.

Don't understand how we always have such a blind spot with keepers, he was statistically the second-worst keeper in the league last season and cost us far more points than he won - United this weekend being a good example.

I don't mind the extension with a view for him bench-warming for the next three years but we absolutely have to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Interesting that two of our recent POTS's in McCarthy and Redmond are now viewed as utter dross.

Overreaction? Highlighting how our squad has actually improved? Highlighting how bad it was? Or poor judgement from fans in voting for them?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, santolijador said:

Seen on twitter someone quoting the article as saying that we will be looking for a 'young understudy' to AM next year - is someone with a subscription to The Athletic able to confirm this? 

If so, bad news. 

Or a great chance for a talented young keeper to shift AM out of the team pretty quickly after they arrive by just doing the basics well? 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of old pony. Ralph has clearly decided AM is his best keeper. Regardless of the contract situation he can choose either. Are you trying to claim that Ralph isn’t picking who he considers to be the best keeper? 

Fantastic !!!!!   I got my very first "load of old pony" from Duckhunter. I now only have climbing Everest and Saints winning the European cup to achieve all of my life's ambitions. 

And in answer to your question. The answer is Yes - Neither are great but he is selecting the individual with the long term future over the one that wants to leave.  It happens, particularly when neither goalie is particularly great.  I am not suggesting that I agree - just that I believe that is the rationale. 

I’m utterly shocked reading this that some people have Forster as one of our highest ranked gks - people have short memories, he’s been utter garbage since his big injury. That said McCarthy isn’t any better - our obsession in buying English gks has backfired horribly. Scandalous we haven’t sorted such a key position and are kicking it down the road again.

well they are both out of contract at the end of this season. I think it is wise to re-sign one of them (although i would prefer it be Forster)

...and THEN go out and and spend some cash on a starting GK next summer.

If for some reason that doesn't work out, we always have one of them for 22/23.

Edited by SaintTex

Hopefully he's taken a pay cut? that would be the only way this makes an inkling of sense.

Ideally we'd have let them both expire in the summer and get two new goalies, but maybe that would have been too much work.

I don't see how he deserves a new contract though, not at this point anyway. This makes as little sense as the Theo signing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, santolijador said:

Seen on twitter someone quoting the article as saying that we will be looking for a 'young understudy' to AM next year - is someone with a subscription to The Athletic able to confirm this? 

If so, bad news. 

Don't believe everything that comes out of the club. If you did that, you'd think we were still rotating our keepers this season and Djenepo was playing left back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Hopefully he's taken a pay cut? that would be the only way this makes an inkling of sense.

Ideally we'd have let them both expire in the summer and get two new goalies, but maybe that would have been too much work.

I don't see how he deserves a new contract though, not at this point anyway. This makes as little sense as the Theo signing.

I was thinking that too. If he’s taken a pay cut in exchange for more job security, this will have reduced our (immediate) wage bill and might not be as mad as it seems.

I assume Theo made the same job security call this summer (and didn’t fancy moving his family abroad to Dubai Rovers or Las Vegas Albion or wherever).

Having said that, I’d have preferred us to ‘take the risk’ of letting both goalkeepers leave next summer.

Finally, I agree with those who’ve pointed out that the Club have to say he’ll be number one next season in this announcement. They’d hardly say Alex agrees he’s not the best and will step back to reserve next season.

9 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

No problem with AM being Southampton's long term number 2 and I assume FF has said definitively he wont sign a new contract under any circumstances.  However, hopefully FF and the club are still on good terms as AM is a pretty poor number 1 and at the very least we need some decent competition this season.

I just wonder if the relationship between Forster and the club is not terribly great. 

4 hours ago, Chez said:

I just wonder if the relationship between Forster and the club is not terribly great. 

Of course it isn’t.

The guy has been unproductive for us over the last 4 seasons while being paid a fortune (was the highest paid player at the club before JWP signed his new contract).

We ve tried shifting him over several summers now and he has prefered to stay and earn his fat pay check.

13 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Cracking save in the first half today and came and claimed nicely at the end when my nerves were shot at 2-2.

Can't see how he could have done much about either goal.

Wasting your breath on here. Fans on here will find a way to blame him for every goal we concede from here on out.

For what its worth I thought he showed why he's no.1 still in that he came and claimed crosses that forster just wouldn't do, and considering how dodgy our CBs look in the air, it shouldn't be underestimated how important that is right now

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Is it just me or was McCarthy standing no where near the centre of the goal for Jimenez’ winner today?  He basically gave him an open goal today!

hard to blame him today for his shot stopping ability, claimed a few crosses. Distribution was awful though.

• Like 1