Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich

SuperSAINT

What happened to the keepers? I thought Gunn was the next big thing! Forster was class when he first joined. I always thought  McCarthy was the backup when he joined. I can’t really think that Neimi was our last really outstanding keeper although Boruc rates a mention.

18 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Big shame as I really thought he’d be decent. Had a bit of De Gea about him. 

Shocking business though given we already had 2 keepers. That punt didn’t come off. 

All our goalkeeping recruits (Forster, McCarthy, Gunn)  have been on basis of recommendation from Dave Watson.

Hopefully we don’t involve him in our future decision making to select one.

• Like 1

We’ve got a strange obsession with English keepers which is one of England’s weak spots. So we pay an unnecessary premium - even recently we’ve been linked to English keepers in the main (Buckland etc). Not sure why this is but it isn’t helping - especially when we seem incapable of improving them.

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

All our goalkeeping recruits (Forster, McCarthy, Gunn)  have been on basis of recommendation from Dave Watson.

2 hours ago, Hodgey said:

We’ve got a strange obsession with English keepers which is one of England’s weak spots. So we pay an unnecessary premium - even recently we’ve been linked to English keepers in the main (Buckland etc). Not sure why this is but it isn’t helping - especially when we seem incapable of improving them.

Perhaps a common theme in your posts.

I realise that Watson is no longer our GK coach but it did seem they all regressed during his time coaching, although no improvement has been detected since either. Will be interesting if Gunn goes to Norwich if he starts to improve again, certainly being "home" and having a run in the team might help his confidence.

23 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

I think we have to remember that McCarthy was brought in as a back up for a minimal fee. And he actually did a good job taking over when Forster has his loss of form. The issue is that he's now playing for the first team five years later because Gunn didn't develop as we hoped

• Like 1

On 10/06/2021 at 08:32, Saint Garrett said:

Big shame as I really thought he’d be decent. Had a bit of De Gea about him. 

He's skinny with a beard.

Neither attributes are particularly useful in keeping the ball out of the net.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 09/06/2021 at 23:08, Antrimsaint said:

What happened to the keepers? I thought Gunn was the next big thing! Forster was class when he first joined. I always thought  McCarthy was the backup when he joined. I can’t really think that Neimi was our last really outstanding keeper although Boruc rates a mention.

The game is faster, the athletes are far more powerful, the ball moves far more quickly, is lighter, never gets waterlogged and swerves about a lot more as players have learned how to apply spin. 

My favourite Angus Gunn related memory was at Chelsea away when a small section of fans tried to start a Angus Gunn inspired Baby Shark chant. Some nutcase the complete other side of the away end was furious at this and went on a screaming tirade of how embarrassing it was and how we will never be respected as a fan base with supporters such as those.....

1 hour ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

My favourite Angus Gunn related memory was at Chelsea away when a small section of fans tried to start a Angus Gunn inspired Baby Shark chant. Some nutcase the complete other side of the away end was furious at this and went on a screaming tirade of how embarrassing it was and how we will never be respected as a fan base with supporters such as those.....

If only they'd tried a Baby Shark inspired Angus Gunn chant instead , it might have caught on

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

He was right.

Kind of sums up his time here that this was his greatest moment.

this thread has got me triggered, wasn't he a bit of a loose cannon? He could stop a shot. First Target, now Gunn. We could start misfiring.  Anyway, enough from me, too much longer on here and I could get fired! 

I'll get my coat..

6 minutes ago, TWar said:

His dad is getting a bit controversial.

1 minute ago, qwertyell said:

Not very controversial to imply our defence is shite. 

We're conceding 60+ a season regardless of who's in nets.

Norwich conceded 75 goals the last time they were in the Premier League.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich

One of the biggest problems we have had in recent times is signing players that don't work out and then can't shift because we are paying them more than anyone else is willing to. We are not alone. It's a Premiership wide problem. Good then that we have managed it here, all be it we have lost a fair chunk of cash in terms of transfer fee spent vs gained. Because we have made a fair few mistakes, and are not rich in superstars, every signing this summer needs to come off. They won't, but we must improve in terms of recruitment. No better place to start than in goal.