Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

Ralph was very clear at fans forum thing we would sign more players. Can't imagine this will go down well with him. He like us know where our obvious weaknesses are so if we don't sort them then we will have some struggles albeit there will be at least 6 weaker teams than us.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Ralph was very clear at fans forum thing we would sign more players. Can't imagine this will go down well with him. He like us know where our obvious weaknesses are so if we don't sort them then we will have some struggles albeit there will be at least 6 weaker teams than us.

He was adamant we’d sign 1 or 2 in January but that never transpired either.

Signing a succession of crap players really has caught up with us.

He was adamant we’d sign 1 or 2 in January but that never transpired either.

Signing a succession of crap players really has caught up with us.

True but at the Fans Forum he was 100% certain and just replied "yes" to the question of "Will there be more signings?"

For that to turn out to be a no, something has gone wrong. They knew and acknowledged during the same forum that it would be hard to get rid of players but they didn't suggest at all that it was down to a one in, one out scenario.

Its slightly confusing. The key issue is wages and not wanting to have too many high earners.

We know that Austin could easily find a loan move and his deal is up end of season so we could more or less get shot of his wages. Carrillo we can let go outside the window, and could even sell for a paltry fee of £3m or £4m if we are prepared to cut our losses.

Likewise Boufal surely could raise £7m or £8m.

Given the sales already done, and the huge amount of TV cash, surely we can get one more player in, given CB is such a glaring weakness and the extent to which the right signing would improve the team.

Its not like we have spent ludicrous net sums this summer and already brought in 7 players.

I would also slightly question the priority this summer as personally would have put a CB over the signing of Djenepo - although an established PL club should be able to sign 3 £15m players in a summer without too many issues.

Well freezing players out which clearly makes them appear surplus to requirements was never going to create a bidding war for them and that was nothing to do with Les Reed.

Signing lots of crap players was everything to do with Les Reed.

Loans help with trimming the wage bill and reducing the squad size to something where Hasenhuttl gets the harmony he's looking for but it doesn't nothing to allow for signing new players (unless they are also loans).

Letting players go cheaply sets a bad precedent for the future as well.

All in all we're basically stuck.

they didn't suggest at all that it was down to a one in, one out scenario.

The club did not set out its transfer policy as such at the fans forum, rather that new players were wanted and that we needed to get players moved on. To me it's obvious that the 2 are linked (ie the message has been let's trim the squad) and as a result that the club won't make significant moves in the market without players going first - we have a ridiculously large squad that has to be trimmed and adding players without reducing numbers first does not achieve that objective.

We also risk something much costlier in the long run. Ralph getting fed up and moving on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be lucky to keep him after this season anyway if he does well he'll move on to better, if he does badly he'll blame the club's lack of ambition and move anyway if he does really badly he'll be sacked....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

We will be lucky to keep him after this season anyway if he does well he'll move on to better, if he does badly he'll blame the club's lack of ambition and move anyway if he does really badly he'll be sacked....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Precisely. What’s the point? Should have gone for Allardice or Moyes, at least then we would be in for certain misery.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between as in we no undoubtedly prefer to shift some deadwood but will sign one or two more. I do not think they are linked as such, more a case of waiting for the trigger transfer or transfers to occur so the dominos can fall. Selling before this may help to ease cashflow and maybe get a "bonus" signing but Iwould be amazed not to see a CB regardless of outgoingings; preferably 2!!! Additionally a DCM might be useful!!!

Hopefully going to be a productive 10 days or so at Staplewood!!

The club did not set out its transfer policy as such at the fans forum, rather that new players were wanted and that we needed to get players moved on. To me it's obvious that the 2 are linked (ie the message has been let's trim the squad) and as a result that the club won't make significant moves in the market without players going first - we have a ridiculously large squad that has to be trimmed and adding players without reducing numbers first does not achieve that objective.
Clearly its linked. Equally clearly Ralph said we would make an additional signing so something we expected must be not happening.

To have a Manager as good as RH and then provide him with just two new signings across two transfer windows to invigorate a poor team is just such a waste of what he can do. Now is the time to back the Manager with just one more signing as he is actually competent. One more signing that every single fan, and every coach can see we need.

They know they can reduce the wage bill and also reduce the squad numbers because clearly there is a market for Lemina & Boufal and they managed to do it, albeit temporarily, in January.

Austin could go on loan until the end of his contract and worst case scenario we either sell Carrillo on the cheap or loan him out again. European teams will get desperate towards the end of their window and players like Hoedt or Cedric will then probably have a market even if they don't now.

Its not that much of a risk to get one more player, surely?

Or perhaps this is also case of where the staggered window closure screws us ovee as we arent willing to assume we can get rid of players after buying so always want to sell first?

Clearly its linked. Equally clearly Ralph said we would make an additional signing so something we expected must be not happening.

To have a Manager as good as RH and then provide him with just two new signings across two transfer windows to invigorate a poor team is just such a waste of what he can do. Now is the time to back the Manager with just one more signing as he is actually competent. One more signing that every single fan, and every coach can see we need.

They know they can reduce the wage bill and also reduce the squad numbers because clearly there is a market for Lemina & Boufal and they managed to do it, albeit temporarily, in January.

Austin could go on loan until the end of his contract and worst case scenario we either sell Carrillo on the cheap or loan him out again. European teams will get desperate towards the end of their window and players like Hoedt or Cedric will then probably have a market even if they don't now.

Its not that much of a risk to get one more player, surely?

Or perhaps this is also case of where the staggered window closure screws us ovee as we arent willing to assume we can get rid of players after buying so always want to sell first?

Is it the end of the window yet?

Agree with all your sentiments, if the situation is still the same on 9th August.

Imagine not signing a CB for a second consecutive window when it’s been painfully obvious that’s what we need.

Would question the Djenepo signing ahead of a CB if that’s the case.

Imagine not signing a CB for a second consecutive window when it’s been painfully obvious that’s what we need.

Echo are saying him and Adam's were Ralph's top two targets, maybe he thought the attack needed more priority and can work with what we have at CB more easily given the strengthening in attack.

It will be disappointing if we don't get a CB, but I don't think it will be the end of the world. Unfortunately rebuilding is going to be a slow process due to the amount of players we need to shift, and with European clubs transfer windows going longer, they can afford to wait and play hardball with us. However I'm still optimistic that we will be better than we were last season given what he did after he came in, and he's had a full preseason now as well.

You are wrong. We should sign Upmecano and Webster and Dunk and Untiti and we need a new central midfielder and Austin and Long are rubbish and always injured so we need to sign two new strikers and we should sell Austin for £50 and if he wont leave pay him off anyway or make their lives hell so they quit, same with Forester and Hoedt and Boufal and Lemina and Vestergaard. Goa should show some ambition and pay them all off and sign some new players now. BUY THEM BUY THEM BUY THEM F*CKING BUY THEM NOW NOW NOW. If only Cortese was still here he'd do it because he had AMBITION.

I think we probably need atleast 1 centre back and ideally an upgrade on Romeu. But I wouldn't want us to put the club in jeopardy if the owner has no money. We absolutely need to get the wages out the door though. Not quite sure how as a club we seem to have the least money in the league by a distance.

I think we probably need atleast 1 centre back and ideally an upgrade on Romeu. But I wouldn't want us to put the club in jeopardy if the owner has no money. We absolutely need to get the wages out the door though. Not quite sure how as a club we seem to have the least money in the league by a distance.

Upgrade on Romeu would cost us 30+ millions. He’ one of the best player we got when in form would be total waste of money to replace.

You are wrong. We should sign Upmecano and Webster and Dunk and Untiti and we need a new central midfielder and Austin and Long are rubbish and always injured so we need to sign two new strikers and we should sell Austin for £50 and if he wont leave pay him off anyway or make their lives hell so they quit, same with Forester and Hoedt and Boufal and Lemina and Vestergaard. Goa should show some ambition and pay them all off and sign some new players now. BUY THEM BUY THEM BUY THEM F*CKING BUY THEM NOW NOW NOW. If only Cortese was still here he'd do it because he had AMBITION.

Nice summary Del!

We can’t just pile up with CB:s.

I don’t think we’ll buy a CB if we can’t get rid of one first.

I think Yoshida is good enough, the question is can hoedt/Vestergaard step up?

Yoshida being 'good enough' is a real marker of how far our expectations have fallen. Once upon a time he was a very distant third in our CB ranking, and he hasn't really improved a huge amount as a player in that time.

We signed several CBs before that though problem is they've all been a bit average (which is being very kind to Hoedt). We where spoiled by having Toby and VVD for a few seasons we are unlikely to see CBs of their quality again in red and white (unless we get really flukey) it doesn't help that very good CBs are heavily sought after now and totally out of our price range. Most PL clubs are now paying huge money for very meh players.

Upgrade on Romeu would cost us 30+ millions. He’ one of the best player we got when in form would be total waste of money to replace.

He’s not. One of the reasons we’ve conceded so many goals over the last couple of seasons has been the lack of protection offered by the defensive midfield. He seems a nice guy but in reality is no better than an average premier league midfielder such as Isaac Hayden, Ki Sung-yueng or Dale Stephens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoshida being 'good enough' is a real marker of how far our expectations have fallen. Once upon a time he was a very distant third in our CB ranking, and he hasn't really improved a huge amount as a player in that time.

Couldn't agree more, the fact fans think he is good is baffling. Best of a bad bunch and nowhere near what we used to have - tries hard = absolutely - good enough from a quality perspective = absolutely not. Good back up but nothing else.

Think that's harsh. Obviously he isn't at the level that we have been getting used to, but he's still a decent enough CB, and he's definitely improved since he came in.

Yosh is undervalued, he is the best we've got, he deserves more respect than he gets, he is the best choice as captain because his attitude is an example to all

Yosh is undervalued, he is the best we've got, he deserves more respect than he gets, he is the best choice as captain because his attitude is an example to all

I'm not disputing that he's the best we've got or questioning his attitude - just his ability compared to our stated ambition as a club.

And to be honest, if we hadn't made two botched signings in Hoedt and Vestergaard, he'd still be a distant third on our list of CBs, trying his best and having a bit of pace, but still ultimately not quite being up to the task of leading a top-half PL defence.

Nonsense. He was third when we had absolutely top drawer CB's. Since then he's improved immeasurably and whilst he'll never be a VVD or Alderweireld, he is a decent premier league CB. He deserves a place on merit. The issue is who plays alongside him - Bednarek is decent but has his limitations, Vestergaard is painfully slow, Stephens is painful and Hoedt is Hoedt.

Yosh is a starting Premier League CB in my opinion. He's average, but does a decent enough job.

Also like Bednarek and Vestergaard. Hoedt has some decent attributes but makes too many errors (maybe they can be trained out of him as I assume it's a concentration issue rather than pure ability). Stephens is a DM.

Would like another CB though, obviously.

He is also the regularly playing captain of the Japan national team. A lot of critics overrate the average level of PL CBs, Maya is no worse than the average and probably quite a bit better than most. Would anybody really swap him for Cahill or Stones?

VVD is probably exceptional but he too makes many mistakes and the odd clanger and I doubt we would join a queue to welcome back Lovren.

Our future in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2 looks likely to be Vestergaard and Hoedt (yes, really) but Maya will always be picked in a 5-2-1-2

He is also the regularly playing captain of the Japan national team. A lot of critics overrate the average level of PL CBs, Maya is no worse than the average and probably quite a bit better than most. Would anybody really swap him for Cahill or Stones?

VVD is probably exceptional but he too makes many mistakes and the odd clanger and I doubt we would join a queue to welcome back Lovren.

Our future in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2 looks likely to be Vestergaard and Hoedt (yes, really) but Maya will always be picked in a 5-2-1-2

What drugs are on? I want some........

He is also the regularly playing captain of the Japan national team. A lot of critics overrate the average level of PL CBs, Maya is no worse than the average and probably quite a bit better than most. Would anybody really swap him for Stones?

I think you would be in a tiny minority there! Stones is a lot better than Yoshida.

VVD makes many mistakes and the odd clanger

No he doesn't.

Villa sniffing around Phillips at Leeds for around £15m...

I thought Villa were well stocked in central midfield anyway.

Grealish & McGinn already good enough for the Prem.

Douglas Luiz has just signed. Marvelous Nakamba about to sign.

As I have posted before, looks like we are trailing a loan deal for Tomori, from Chelsea.

I’d heard we enquired about Christiensen, perhaps crossed wires somewhere or we were knocked back for him but told Tomori was available...

Prem teams Yoshi would get game time for, if any of these teams have two better CBs than Yoshi i'll be surprised. Arsenal maybe, none of the others?

Bournemouth

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Brighton

Burnley

Crystal Palace

Everton

Newcastle

Norwich

Sheff utd

Saints

Watford

West Ham

Wolves

Prem teams Yoshi would get game time for, if any of these teams have two better CBs than Yoshi i'll be surprised. Arsenal maybe, none of the others?

Bournemouth

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Brighton

Burnley

Crystal Palace

Everton

Newcastle

Norwich

Sheff utd

Saints

Watford