Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

Upamecano seems highly unrealistic to me, unless he desperately wants to play Ralf and in the Premier League, you'd think both the Manchesters would snap him up, especially if the fee was south of £35 million considering Utd are buying Maguire for £80 million.

Though apparently City need to shift Mangala before they buy a centre back as they have 4 first team ones at the moment.

To be honest any of City, Utd, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal you'd think would snap him up.

Man City and United don't want potential, they want tried and tested on the CB area.

Never heard of this lad but at 20 years old, will need to be world class already to sign for those clubs

Upamecano seems highly unrealistic to me, unless he desperately wants to play Ralf and in the Premier League, you'd think both the Manchesters would snap him up, especially if the fee was south of £35 million considering Utd are buying Maguire for £80 million.

Though apparently City need to shift Mangala before they buy a centre back as they have 4 first team ones at the moment.

To be honest any of City, Utd, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal you'd think would snap him up.

genuine question - is he better than Van Dijk / Alderweirald when they came here. Do know its a different market etc and you have to move early on people now but just interested if hes a level above where those were?

genuine question - is he better than Van Dijk / Alderweirald when they came here. Do know its a different market etc and you have to move early on people now but just interested if hes a level above where those were?

He's quicker and better on the ball than either of them. Not as dominant in the air or physically commanding, though.

He is one of Europe's top rated young centre backs (was in the top 20 shortlist for European Golden Boy award 2018) and apparently has recorded a top speed almost as fast as Salah hit last season.

Centre-backs that are fast are a rare commodity, especially if they are only 20 and already have 2 seasons of Bundesliga football under their belt.

He is one of Europe's top rated young centre backs (was in the top 20 shortlist for European Golden Boy award 2018) and apparently has recorded a top speed almost as fast as Salah hit last season.

Centre-backs that are fast are a rare commodity, especially if they are only 20 and already have 2 seasons of Bundesliga football under their belt.

On that basis, I'd definitely go with zero chance of getting him.

I'd never heard of this lad, or seen anything of him, before this transfer window. We MIGHT just have a chance, if he and his agent see us as a stepping stone. The massive fees for Stones, Walker, Shaw, VVD and Maguire have shown just how important PL experience is for the big clubs, especially when buying defenders. Mangala is just the Upamecano of five years ago, perhaps City don't want to take the same expensive risk.

Having said all that, I still don't see him coming here.

I'd never heard of this lad, or seen anything of him, before this transfer window. We MIGHT just have a chance, if he and his agent see us as a stepping stone. The massive fees for Stones, Walker, Shaw, VVD and Maguire have shown just how important PL experience is for the big clubs, especially when buying defenders. Mangala is just the Upamecano of five years ago, perhaps City don't want to take the same expensive risk.

Having said all that, I still don't see him coming here.

He’s twenty. We’re the perfect stepping stone for him to gain experience and exposure. De Ligt should have come here too.

I think after all the loans are gone, we'll have pretty close to 22 players.

The 35 (actually 34 now with Clasie gone) already include Johnson, Ramsey, Slattery, and Obafemi who are all part of the youth system that Ralph wants to blood into the team. So that's 30.

It also includes Barnes and Reed who we will definitely be able to shift one way or another. 28.

I doubt McQueen will go anywhere, but he's also unlikely to be registered as a player as he'll be out for a while.

That leaves 6 others to go from Carrillo, Austin, Boufal, Lemina, Hoedt, Cedric, McCarthy/Forster. I can see us selling 2-3 of them and loaning some of the others out. That will get us to around 22 senior players (including Valery)

Is Hesketh not another one of the 34?

Why are people talking about Upamecano? He'd be what, 40m+ and will go to a big club.

Good to see Klarer getting game time. Rather he got chances than Stephens this season. Guessing we'll only get a CB if there's a decent target available and we can shift a few. I'd rather sign another winger/attacking midfielder really.

So you're happy to continue conceding sloppy goals and losing points from winning positions? Because that is exactly what will happen if we go into the season without a commanding CB.

I think we're in a catch 22. We need players gone to free up cash for better players to play RH preferred 4222, but our CB's are so bad we need to play 3 at the back so we need numbers. It's almost a case of having to get a decent CB in to move a couple out but then we're potentially stuck with excess if we can't then shift the dross.

It's a mess.

Good summary of our position. I don’t think we’ll be seeing any more significant signings until and unless we can sell someone for half decent money - Lemina/Boufal/McCarthy our best hopes there - so we can afford a new CB and let at least one of the failures go. If not we make do with what we have for another season. Not the best place to be, but we’ll probably be ok and better that than bloat the squad further with players we can’t afford.

Why are people talking about Upamecano? He'd be what, 40m+ and will go to a big club.

Good to see Klarer getting game time. Rather he got chances than Stephens this season. Guessing we'll only get a CB if there's a decent target available and we can shift a few. I'd rather sign another winger/attacking midfielder really.

Why would a Leipzig backup end up at a club higher up the food chain than his current club?

Why would a Leipzig backup end up at a club higher up the food chain than his current club?

I'm not sure you can describe him as a back-up. He was injured for most of the 2nd half of the season. Before that he mostly played the full 90.

Newcastle now favourites to sign Jarrod Bowen from Hull, whatever that means. Ashley splashing the cash to appease the fans? I still think he’d be a decent signing for us based on stats, potential price and age. It’s more important to strengthen other areas of the team first though.

Hmmmm think the Kevin Keegan signing might trump that but agree it would be something special if Ralph could pull that one off!!

Yeah that's what I mean, something special! Exactly what we've been missing at the back. This player has got the lot, can defend, is rapidly fast and strong as a beast.

You're probably right, but Alderweireld, Van Djik and even Lovren wanted European football and trophies and a couple of years at Saints playing rather than an earlier move to a big club to sit on the bench didn't do them any harm.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Please never use Lovren’s name accompanying proper, decent defenders. It flatters that arrogant piece of turd. I get the idea that we now sell ourselves as a stepping stone club. Kind of makes you want to give up watching if our only aspirations are to be a feeder and academy farm. Eradicates success in essence. Look at what Liverpool did with our products. We won’t ever be Liverpool or a proper competing top 6 club bit to have some ambition again would be good. Cortese and Markus were the only 2 that ever seemed to get it.

Still, it would be fantastic if we did get this chap but can’t see it. If we sign, I imagine it’ll be a lower PL youth/fringe player or championship hopeful or another European gamble. Let’s hope Ralph has his say. We need more than we have. Testing unproven and youth players in the PL is a risky gamble and will lose more games than win, I fear. We need to blood them and I’m all for that but I’m worried we will push them through in too large a numbers. I think we have exciting prospects but we are playing in the best league in the world. There is no margin or forgiveness for errors.

So you're happy to continue conceding sloppy goals and losing points from winning positions? Because that is exactly what will happen if we go into the season without a commanding CB.

Well said. Southampton fans appear more deluded by the season and naively optimistic. We don’t have much player pulling power. Look at how we are run these days and our past few seasons. Ralph aside, we will need to shift out the sh*t & replace wisely and galvanise our squad & overhaul the defence to enable upper table finishes. Then, only then, can we think of offering decent fees and trying to bring in the better, more established transfers if we ever do under Gao.

This. Feeling nervous without strengthening here or in defensive midfield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what I mean, something special! Exactly what we've been missing at the back. This player has got the lot, can defend, is rapidly fast and strong as a beast.

sounds perfect, sign him up and we'd only be one CB short of a decent defence

He's also turned down Arsenal because they aren't in the Champions League, so he's about as likely to come here as Wesley Hoedt winning the Ballon D'Or.

Well said. Southampton fans appear more deluded by the season and naively optimistic. We don’t have much player pulling power. Look at how we are run these days and our past few seasons. Ralph aside, we will need to shift out the sh*t & replace wisely and galvanise our squad & overhaul the defence to enable upper table finishes. Then, only then, can we think of offering decent fees and trying to bring in the better, more established transfers if we ever do under Gao.

Again our performance under Ralph last season, extrapolated over a whole season would net something like 48-50 points, easily enough for top half, if not top 8.

With more time to work with the players and instil his ideas, plus two additional attacking options to take the burden off Redmond and Ings, people being 'naively optimistic' as you put it are actually being fairly logical.

Especially when you add in last year Hughes wasted a lot of 'easier' home games where we should have done better and Bertrand was unavailable for half the season.

Yes of course having improved defensive options is desired, no one is saying we shouldn't be looking at that and I am sure the club will recruit at least one.

However, it is not all doom and gloom if we don't, to suggest if we don't get in another centre-back means we are going to be flirting with relegation all year makes no sense.

Also its hardly like the rest of the league has improved massively either. Obviously the window is still open so lots can change but currently -

Newcastle have got weaker, they have lost Rafa and their two top scorers. They have just signed a striker but again unknown if he'l do it in the PL.

Crystal Palace have lost their star right back and they could lose their star attacker in Zaha and have basically signed no one.

Brighton have not done much so far in the window and have an unknown quality in Potter in charge.

The three promoted clubs are probably weaker than the 3 last year as Wolves looked a clear strong contender last year that no one thought would go straight back down. Norwich don't look as strong. Villa have spent heavily but the quality is questionable so look like they have done a 'Fulham' and Sheff Utd look like a Cardiff to me.

West Ham have done West Ham things, who knows what you'll get with them, but they have lost proven PL goals in Arnautovic, so we'll have to see if Haller can replace him.

Bournemouth have signed a championship centre-back.

Everton have signed Delph

Watford have signed Craig Dawson.

Burnley have signed Jay Rod.

Wolves basically confirmed two loans they had last year and have Europa league to juggle this year.

So aside from the top 6 (two of which have unproven managers for this year, one has a transfer ban and both Utd and Arsenal are struggling to get their targets, plus Chelsea have lost Hazard) have any of the rest of teams around us and above us really got any stronger?

IMO no, most of the league has barely bought anyone, Leicester have probably done the best business out of the mid table clubs, but are about to lose their best centre-back.

So why the panic? We are starting a new season with a very competent manager who in the short time he has had has made massive improvements to several of our players, and we have added two pacey attackers, who potentially could add extra goals. Whilst the rest of the league has so far mainly stood still or even got a little worse to be honest.

I just don't see how under those circumstances we would be near relegation unless something went horribly wrong.

IF we don't sign a centre-back, then I expect us to end up using the 5 at the back used a lot last year probably more than Ralph was planning to, but that was a pretty successful shape that earned a decent amount of points.

Most of the Premier League has only signed one new player really (with quite a few loans being made permanent like Ings for us, Gomes for Everton, Kovavic for Chelsea, Dendoncker for Wolves, Tielemans for Leicester).

If you ignore those loans then the only clubs to have made more than 2 major signings are Villa, Sheff Utd, Norwich, and Man City (3).

Well, some Southampton fans seem intent in sucking the pleasure and excitement out of everything. If you can’t feel optimistic and, yes, maybe delusional, ahead of the season what’s the point of being a supporter at all? I don’t want realism, and pragmatism. I get enough of that in my real life.

I’m hugely excited by the season ahead. We have one of the best young coaches in Europe and I await with interest to see how passion, enthusiasm and well defined structured play further improves both individuals and the collective. I’ve splashed out on Season Tickets for the first time since we were relegated and I fell out of love with football - I’m over it now, honest.

UTS.

Southampton fans appear more deluded by the season and naively optimistic.

Guilty as charged m'lud. More than happy to be deluded and naively optimistic. Much preferable to taking this game they call football too seriously ;)

The planet is hurtling through the universe at circa 872,405 miles per hour on a path to certain oblivion. Cheer up :)

Edited by trousers

Well, some Southampton fans seem intent in sucking the pleasure and excitement out of everything. If you can’t feel optimistic and, yes, maybe delusional, ahead of the season what’s the point of being a supporter at all? I don’t want realism, and pragmatism. I get enough of that in my real life.

I’m hugely excited by the season ahead. We have one of the best young coaches in Europe and I await with interest to see how passion, enthusiasm and well defined structured play further improves both individuals and the collective. I’ve splashed out on Season Tickets for the first time since we were relegated and I fell out of love with football - I’m over it now, honest.

UTS.

This.

For some (us) our glass is half full for these serial misery mongers its always half empty

Is everyone going to continue to spout bullocks or do we actually have any transfer news?
If this thread consisted only of verified news, rather than speculation, rumours and a bit of dreaming, if would be very short and very boring.

If this thread consisted only of verified news, rather than speculation, rumours and a bit of dreaming, if would be very short and very boring.

I'd settle for short.

Again our performance under Ralph last season, extrapolated over a whole season would net something like 48-50 points, easily enough for top half, if not top 8.

With more time to work with the players and instil his ideas, plus two additional attacking options to take the burden off Redmond and Ings, people being 'naively optimistic' as you put it are actually being fairly logical.

Especially when you add in last year Hughes wasted a lot of 'easier' home games where we should have done better and Bertrand was unavailable for half the season.

Yes of course having improved defensive options is desired, no one is saying we shouldn't be looking at that and I am sure the club will recruit at least one.

However, it is not all doom and gloom if we don't, to suggest if we don't get in another centre-back means we are going to be flirting with relegation all year makes no sense.

Also its hardly like the rest of the league has improved massively either. Obviously the window is still open so lots can change but currently -

Newcastle have got weaker, they have lost Rafa and their two top scorers. They have just signed a striker but again unknown if he'l do it in the PL.

Crystal Palace have lost their star right back and they could lose their star attacker in Zaha and have basically signed no one.

Brighton have not done much so far in the window and have an unknown quality in Potter in charge.

The three promoted clubs are probably weaker than the 3 last year as Wolves looked a clear strong contender last year that no one thought would go straight back down. Norwich don't look as strong. Villa have spent heavily but the quality is questionable so look like they have done a 'Fulham' and Sheff Utd look like a Cardiff to me.

West Ham have done West Ham things, who knows what you'll get with them, but they have lost proven PL goals in Arnautovic, so we'll have to see if Haller can replace him.

Wolves basically confirmed two loans they had last year and have Europa league to juggle this year.

So aside from the top 6 (two of which have unproven managers for this year, one has a transfer ban and both Utd and Arsenal are struggling to get their targets, plus Chelsea have lost Hazard) have any of the rest of teams around us and above us really got any stronger?

IMO no, most of the league has barely bought anyone, Leicester have probably done the best business out of the mid table clubs, but are about to lose their best centre-back.

So why the panic? We are starting a new season with a very competent manager who in the short time he has had has made massive improvements to several of our players, and we have added two pacey attackers, who potentially could add extra goals. Whilst the rest of the league has so far mainly stood still or even got a little worse to be honest.

I just don't see how under those circumstances we would be near relegation unless something went horribly wrong.

IF we don't sign a centre-back, then I expect us to end up using the 5 at the back used a lot last year probably more than Ralph was planning to, but that was a pretty successful shape that earned a decent amount of points.

Most of the Premier League has only signed one new player really (with quite a few loans being made permanent like Ings for us, Gomes for Everton, Kovavic for Chelsea, Dendoncker for Wolves, Tielemans for Leicester).

If you ignore those loans then the only clubs to have made more than 2 major signings are Villa, Sheff Utd, Norwich, and Man City (3).

Thanks good summary

Should also be noted if you read that article posted on the Ralph thread, and see what he did with Inglostadt is that he didn't massively overhaul the squad, he bought in a few players here and there that fitted with his philosophy, but actually a lot of the players that were there when he took over, who were struggling in Div 2 and were looking likely to drop into div 3, the ones that bought into his philosophy and adapted to him, were still there finishing comfortably mid-table in the Bundesliga like 2 years later.

Which just shows how much he can do with existing squads given the time and with those players buying into what he is doing fully.

We've already seen what Ralph has done in just over 6 months to our existing squad that most of us were berating over the last two years, hence the optimism from many of us about what he can do with it over a full season and full pre-season. He's made many of our players improve a lot in that short space of time, so who says he can't improve our defenders and our team defending as a whole?

Should also be noted if you read that article posted on the Ralph thread, and see what he did with Inglostadt is that he didn't massively overhaul the squad, he bought in a few players here and there that fitted with his philosophy, but actually a lot of the players that were there when he took over, who were struggling in Div 2 and were looking likely to drop into div 3, the ones that bought into his philosophy and adapted to him, were still there finishing comfortably mid-table in the Bundesliga like 2 years later.

Which just shows how much he can do with existing squads given the time and with those players buying into what he is doing fully.

We've already seen what Ralph has done in just over 6 months to our existing squad that most of us were berating over the last two years, hence the optimism from many of us about what he can do with it over a full season and full pre-season. He's made many of our players improve a lot in that short space of time, so who says he can't improve our defenders and our team defending as a whole?

Well said that man !!!

UTS.

You see it as sucking pleasure. I see it as being realistic. I don't think realism invalidates a supporter. Just makes you less happy clappy. I've never been that way. You don't like realism. Point closed. I'm more excited because of Adams, ambivalent about Djenepo. I'll be more more assured if we sign a CB. We will throw away too many games otherwise. Swapping lack of attack for another problem, keeping goals out. A scary bite of reality.

Trousers - "Guilty as charged m'lud. More than happy to be deluded and naively optimistic. Much preferable to taking this game they call football too seriously

The planet is hurtling through the universe at circa 872,405 miles per hour on a path to certain oblivion. Cheer up"

Don't think I need cheering up or to take the game less serious. I'm simply not a happy clapper and naive optimist. You have different standards to me but making do was never in my periphery. I just don't tolerate an owner who goes back on his word. I think we will get a CB but whether he's decent remains to be seen.

This is excactly what VvD had in abundance and what happened to him 2 ysr or so later .We only seem to be a stepping stone for players to further thier progress at the expense of our club, which is somewhat annoying .Wheres the long term contract player now eh?...loyalty thats all we fans really want surley isnt it?

This is excactly what VvD had in abundance and what happened to him 2 ysr or so later .We only seem to be a stepping stone for players to further thier progress at the expense of our club, which is somewhat annoying .Wheres the long term contract player now eh?...loyalty thats all we fans really want surley isnt it?

well Forsters still here. exactly who you want right?

good players will always leave us for better things- and ive learnt to like that now- would rather they become a success with us then move on if we receive a decent fee.

the only day that would ever stop would be if FIFA/UEFA/FA etc imposed a wage cap across the leagues, but that'll never happen. they're tryna make it a more closed shop if anything.

Through all the dross posted on here, it is nice to see a post that is both articulate and makes complete sense. I echo your thoughts entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is why I keep thinking Long will have his best season yet for us, especially given how his attributes fit with the high press and his finishing as looked much, much better in pre-season. Ralph even specfically mentioned how they were working on Longs finishing.

You see it as sucking pleasure. I see it as being realistic. I don't think realism invalidates a supporter. Just makes you less happy clappy. I've never been that way. You don't like realism. Point closed. I'm more excited because of Adams, ambivalent about Djenepo. I'll be more more assured if we sign a CB. We will throw away too many games otherwise. Swapping lack of attack for another problem, keeping goals out. A scary bite of reality.

Trousers - "Guilty as charged m'lud. More than happy to be deluded and naively optimistic. Much preferable to taking this game they call football too seriously

The planet is hurtling through the universe at circa 872,405 miles per hour on a path to certain oblivion. Cheer up"

Don't think I need cheering up or to take the game less serious. I'm simply not a happy clapper and naive optimist. You have different standards to me but making do was never in my periphery. I just don't tolerate an owner who goes back on his word. I think we will get a CB but whether he's decent remains to be seen.

Being an optimist doesn’t make anyone “happy clappy” or naive, any more than being a realist makes you miserable - unless you know different.

Not sure it is really. Loyalty works both ways - you don't see many fans claiming that we should pick our most loyal players ahead of our best ones!

Most fans accept the reality that good players want to move on to bigger and better clubs, but that in being here we at least a) make a profit that can be reinvested and strengthen the team, enabling a sustainable business model, b) enjoy seeing good players while they are here, c) improve the team's fortunes so that as fans we enjoy more wins than losses and are more attractive to other potential signings.

Rather than loyalty per se, what fans really want or expect are players who respect the club during their time here - by trying their best, not going on strike, not causing unrest etc.