West Ham 3 Saints 0 - Match Thread

St Chalet

Game confirming what we already knew - Elynoussi isn't good enough; Armstrong a little bit powder-puff; Valery is nothing like a finished product; Stephens not good enough at CB; Long and Ings don't offer much threat. Only Lemina with some support from Bertrand and Hojbjerg look up to level.

Ings off for Romeu, shore up midfield, stop Noble looking like Modric and free up Lemina to get forward and support a three of Moi, Armstrong and Long. Redders on for any of the three soon as well.

Only Bednarek, Forster, Long and Höjbjerg has had a decent first half.

Valery, Stephens and Ings worst on the pitch. Elyounoussi, Armstrong and Bertrand close behind. Lemina not that good either.

I haven't got a stream just the radio so I figured it was unlikely but then none of the other attacking players seem to have done much either so I figured the competition for best attacking player, today, was a low bar.

Moi’s been utterly abject. Ings has made 1 semi decent pass, Armstrong a total waste of space. Valery, Bertrand, Hoj keep giving the ball away, Stephens and Bednarek have been slow and ponderous. Haven’t noticed long apart from a blatant shove he gave someone and then complained to the ref. Just had to check who the other outfielder was, Lemina apparently, haven’t noticed him. FF has been our best player so far. Let that sink in...

Forster looking much better err that's about it.

I don't think Mo is having a bad game, he loves all the twists and moves and can deliver a good cross but he is just too slow. That's relative of course, in the flesh he'll be pretty quick, but in the Premier league if you are fractionally late to the breakdown or with a pass then the opposition will punish you. Look how effective Long and Redmond are at interceptions and closing down, that is all down to pace.

Overall Saints just look weaker and off the pace, so looking forward to the 2nd half!

Only Bednarek, Forster, Long and Höjbjerg has had a decent first half.

Valery, Stephens and Ings worst on the pitch. Elyounoussi, Armstrong and Bertrand close behind. Lemina not that good either.

Thought Lemina was clearly our best first half.

That was pretty abject. All the fringe players suggesting that they're not even good enough for that status - Forster has at least made a couple of fairly routine stops.

We're badly losing the midfield battle - not surprisingly, as we're carrying two players out there. Elyounoussi has touched (and lost) the ball about five times; Armstrong is just a horrible footballer, a midfielder who can't pass, tackle or control the ball.

The tactical plan of playing a high defensive line with two centre backs who are slower than coastal erosion and a goalkeeper who has abandonment issues with his goal line is, let's say, a bit of a gamble...

Danny Ings has lost his pace. Liverpool fans told us that when we signed him, but we still committed to a physical wreck whose best days are gone anyway. What a mess.

Valery is having a stinker. Not sure he (or Bednarek) is suited to a back four - his limitations are too exposed.

Still, we're going to storm the top ten next season with just a couple of tweaks of the squad. Apparently.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

No excuse for picking that team at all. I’m sorry but no excuse. Some of those players we already know are no where near good enough why pick them again?

That is poor management - say what you like no need for it.

Totally agree. Not fair on the travelling fans.

Disappointing half. A few positives, the main being Forster! A couple of decent saves, including in his supposed weak spot of down low. He had no real chance on the goal. And contrary to opinions here, Mo has shown flashes of real quality. His combining with Armstrong and Long has been the best we've offered so far.

I think we need Romeu on second half though to shore up midfield. And maybe Redmond for Ings. Not seeing Ings do much yet.

We’ve bought talented inconsistent players before, just can’t see what our team ever saw in Mo.

reckon we brought him off that half decent game he had against City for Basel in the CL.

I think the problem was the wage we gave him (think I read 60k), even he said that has set him up life.

I think he has lost the motivation to bother improving.