Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's because he's so maddeningly inconsistent. Sometimes he goes through periods where he looks great and dangerous and other times it's extended periods of dross. I think someone mentioned before that he may have some mental toughness issues and possibly he's a confidence player but it is very nanoyobg when he doesn't get the most out of his ability. 

I find him nanoyobg as well. 😊 He has a lot of skill but not enough end product. He needs to score more....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I really don’t want to be paying circa £75k a week on a player that is not ours. I appreciate he’s a reasonable player but something just doesn’t sit right with that.

We are not a club that can afford such an outlay with no value added ie. he’s in the shop window for someone else to benefit. The club just gets a thank you in 10 months.

If it's a decent player that will improve us for a season or no player then I'm taking the player please. Think back to when we failed to get a fonte replacement in that January window a few years back and everyone would have taken a decent player on loan from a bigger club. It's the same thing. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If it's a decent player that will improve us for a season or no player then I'm taking the player please. Think back to when we failed to get a fonte replacement in that January window a few years back and everyone would have taken a decent player on loan from a bigger club. It's the same thing. 

If that’s the case let’s go balls out for messi. I do see what you’re saying but I’m sure there are more financially better options.

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you still think we are after the Celtic midfielder? 

Chelsea want to use RLC as a makeweight in a deal to get Declan Rice but WHAM don't want to sell Rice and risk a riot.  Whatever happens though Chelsea need to offload him at least for the season as there's little chance he'll get much time on the pitch with them.  They're in the same position we are with Carillo, Hoedt and Boufal.  Expect the price/cost of loan and wages to become affordable the later it gets in the window.  I've always liked RLC as a player and think he could definitely improve the team however I'd be wary of his injury record and whether he's the type of player that is willing to close down and be the first line of defence.  Definitely a class player (or at least was).

Same goes for Rashica - brilliant little player and Werder Bremen were hoping he would be gone by now because they need the cash.  Villa are probably out of the race to sign him now that they've got Barkley.  RB Leipzig were thought to be interested but have signed Hee-Chan Hwang from Salzburg so might be out of the race now so, again, there could be a chance that Bremen might be flexible on a price.  

These are the types of deals Semmens were talking about when he talked about players that wouldn't otherwise be possible becoming more affordable and if you think about it there's lots of players in the attacking midfield area that could become affordable:  off the top of my head RLC, Rashica, Cantwell, Brooks, Ntcham (I'm not suggesting any of these will happen but their clubs will probably be hoping they're not around by the end of the window).

Arsenal are another club with the likes of Nelson and Rowe-Smith that need to be playing top level 1st team football.  Personally I really like what I've seen of Rowe-Smith and think he would probably be a better bet than RLC and might be more of a possibility of a permanent move either now or at the end of a loan agreement.  

Obviously I've no idea of our finances and it appears that we're struggling to raise cash but if we've been keeping our powder dry and hoping for a big deal at the end of the window then there's bargains to be had. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Chelsea want to use RLC as a makeweight in a deal to get Declan Rice but WHAM don't want to sell Rice and risk a riot.  Whatever happens though Chelsea need to offload him at least for the season as there's little chance he'll get much time on the pitch with them.  They're in the same position we are with Carillo, Hoedt and Boufal.  Expect the price/cost of loan and wages to become affordable the later it gets in the window.  I've always liked RLC as a player and think he could definitely improve the team however I'd be wary of his injury record and whether he's the type of player that is willing to close down and be the first line of defence.  Definitely a class player (or at least was).

Same goes for Rashica - brilliant little player and Werder Bremen were hoping he would be gone by now because they need the cash.  Villa are probably out of the race to sign him now that they've got Barkley.  RB Leipzig were thought to be interested but have signed Hee-Chan Hwang from Salzburg so might be out of the race now so, again, there could be a chance that Bremen might be flexible on a price.  

These are the types of deals Semmens were talking about when he talked about players that wouldn't otherwise be possible becoming more affordable and if you think about it there's lots of players in the attacking midfield area that could become affordable:  off the top of my head RLC, Rashica, Cantwell, Brooks, Ntcham (I'm not suggesting any of these will happen but their clubs will probably be hoping they're not around by the end of the window).

Arsenal are another club with the likes of Nelson and Rowe-Smith that need to be playing top level 1st team football.  Personally I really like what I've seen of Rowe-Smith and think he would probably be a better bet than RLC and might be more of a possibility of a permanent move either now or at the end of a loan agreement.  

Obviously I've no idea of our finances and it appears that we're struggling to raise cash but if we've been keeping our powder dry and hoping for a big deal at the end of the window then there's bargains to be had. 

excellent post. lot of sense here. let's hope our top brass are clued up to this scenario. sounds like Diallo is confirmed, by the way 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

If that’s the case let’s go balls out for messi. I do see what you’re saying but I’m sure there are more financially better options.

Like who? Not sure if we are definitely going for rlc but if we do as many have said he seems to tick a lot of the boxes for the type of player we are looking for. If we don't currently have the cash for both a dm and a decent player like rlc then surely this makes sense for both parties? 

9 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Do you still think we are after the Celtic midfielder? 

I said we were interested and I was speculating that we would still go for him. The fact he's starting today though suggests we've gone for diallo instead. I haven't spoken to my mate for a week or two so any info I have is out of date. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Like who? Not sure if we are definitely going for rlc but if we do as many have said he seems to tick a lot of the boxes for the type of player we are looking for. If we don't currently have the cash for both a dm and a decent player like rlc then surely this makes sense for both parties? 

I’ve never really understood the crap some come out with about not getting loan players in as it develops players for other clubs. I’d rather have a good player for a year than be stuck with a crap one for 3 years. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I’ve never really understood the crap some come out with about not getting loan players in as it develops players for other clubs. I’d rather have a good player for a year than be stuck with a crap one for 3 years. 

Me neither. It's a risk for loaning club, too, over injuries. And he might like it so much he wants to stay. Stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I said we were interested and I was speculating that we would still go for him. The fact he's starting today though suggests we've gone for diallo instead. I haven't spoken to my mate for a week or two so any info I have is out of date. 

Ok thanks for your info, try and ask your mate again for the latest :)

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

Ok thanks for your info, try and ask your mate again for the latest :)

I think he knows what I'm doing when I just randomly engage him in conversation about saints! It normally makes up a very small amount of our overall chats. Let's just wait and see what happens by tomorrow its more fun that way! The only thing he said to me was two out and two in. Diallo and rlc would fulfil that if we get rid of boufal and hoedt. 

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Agree 100%. 

Alderweireld for a year or Hoedt for the three we’ve had him on our books for?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Blackmore saying RLC not active. Working on loan which reading between the lines will be a wide player. 

One of the Arsenal lads, Nelson or Smith-Rowe would be my guess.

Don't see why we would want Theo given how pathetic he is off the ball.

Edited by Dusic

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

One of the Arsenal lads, Nelson or Smith-Rowe would be my guess.

Don't see why we would want Theo given how pathetic he is off the ball.

I've wanted Theo back since he left until this year! 

Not smart enough for the 'wide 10' role, IMO.

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

Given we need a 1st/2nd choice attacking midfielder, yes it is. 

Redmond and Armstrong are fine for that, they don't particularly need replacing as 1st choice. If Walcott were to rejoin it would be to replace Boufal and join Djenepo as an alternative option.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I've always loved Theo and wished him well. I always hoped he would return and end his career where it began. If he had come  afew years ago, yes. But not now, it's too late for him and for us. He is not our type now, our clear policy is to build young players into Ralph's style. Our players would have to adapt to Theo's style because he won't be changing. Sad, but it's No No in my opinion.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Redmond and Armstrong are fine for that, they don't particularly need replacing as 1st choice. If Walcott were to rejoin it would be to replace Boufal and join Djenepo as an alternative option.

You don’t get better by having players that are fine. If someone is available that would make the team better why wouldn’t we sign them.

Surely if we are trying to get it done in next 24 hours it will be an international player. The domestic market still has another 10 days to run so wouldnt be rushing to get a theo walcott or nelson over the line by tomorrow.

Edited by sifter
  • Like 1

Just now, sifter said:

Surely if we are trying to get it done in next 24 hours it will be an international player. The domestic market still has another 10 days to run so wouldnt be rushing to get a theo walcott or a phil foden over the line by tomorrow?

Can only sign from lower leagues after tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, northam soul said:

You don’t get better by having players that are fine. If someone is available that would make the team better why wouldn’t we sign them.

You are right they should try to sign them if that was the case. But if an improvement on Redmond & Armstrong isn't available then we still need a replacement for Boufal in the squad.

Edited by Matthew Le God

IF Walcott is on our shortlist, one would imagine he's on there with Ralph's approval. Whilst he wouldn't be my choice, I'm happy to put faith in Hassenhutl's decision as he'll obviously believe he can still get a tune out of him (if there's any truth in this)

Edited by trousers

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

IF Walcott is on our shortlist, one would imagine he's on there with Ralph's approval. Whilst he wouldn't be my choice, I'm happy to put faith in Hassenhutl's decision as he'll obviously believe he can still get a tune out of him (if there's any truth in this)

My problem with this rumour is that it comes up every transfer window. He in no way fits the profile we go for.

5 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

if we struggled to pay supposedly 75k per week for RLC's wages....Walcott is probably on similar.

MLG thinks that's fine because he wouldn’t really be that bad because he's third or fourth choice.