Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

Just now, Baird of the land said:

I’d definitely still like to see Grujic come in, giving us proper depth in center mid.

Gives us options. Need a shielding player, bring on Rom. Need more energy, bring on Diallo. Armstrong injured, play JWP there and pick two from the other three in the middle.

Williams link makes sense to me and I’m surprised so many on here don’t think it would be a good move. Are Valery and Vokins good enough backup options? I’m not convinced. Williams can play either side and would be an instant upgrade on both. That said, cannot see Saints guaranteeing he’d play every week so unless United soften their stance it’ll be a non-starter. Aside from that, think we need another central midfielder and a wide player to replace Boufal but suspect we’ll only get the latter...

Maybe we are playing waiting game with RLC- if he isn’t in Lamps plans at all this season, then maybe they’ll bite the bullet and accept paying £100k a week for him. If someone is covering the other £75k a week it means Chelsea still save c. 4m over a year!!! 

The same logic also applies to other players we want, let’s wait for someone to give in.

58 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

From Sky:

Truly bizarre. Why do we need to add to full back? Let's see what happens. This signing would confuse the f*k out of me if it happens.

I remember reading something shortly after Ralph joined that at Leipzig, he would often rest and switch fullbacks throughout the season due to his system needing them to be up and down the pitch constantly. Maybe he thinks Bertrands legs can't handle this and Vokins not quite there yet?

But on the face of it, as you say a bit odd as I think a winger/ number 10 should be the next move to add competition.

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Williams link makes sense to me and I’m surprised so many on here don’t think it would be a good move. Are Valery and Vokins good enough backup options? I’m not convinced. Williams can play either side and would be an instant upgrade on both. That said, cannot see Saints guaranteeing he’d play every week so unless United soften their stance it’ll be a non-starter. Aside from that, think we need another central midfielder and a wide player to replace Boufal but suspect we’ll only get the latter...

Vokins is fine, I thought he stepped up to the plate last year and is a really good prospect. What's the point in loaning another teams young full back, which blocks the progress of your own young full back?

Valery isn't great, agreed, but JWP has also shown he can play there. There's no sense in the Williams deal if it happens, only way it would make sense is if we're losing Ryan.

• Like 1

- RLC is a hell of a talent and will go somewhere but does seem a little bit like a square peg in a round hole positionally.

- I'd love Grujic, but just don't see it happening.

- One of the 2 Arsenal kid's seem like it could happen, but possibly depends on who they bring in.

-  Theo doesn't seem to fit the profile.

2 hours ago, igsey said:

Not sure anybody that is saying Williams can "play both sides" or is "two footed" has ever actually watched him play? He's so incredibly one-footed and only plays LB for United due to lack of other options. He is a right back and also seems to be playing most of United's games recently.

Doubt they are signing Telles or anyone else so Williams will stay.

I've seen him play, many times. He's the most two footed fullback I've seen for a long time. He gets the byeline and crosses with his left foot.  You are right that he's a right back that filled in at left back when Shaw was injured, but he has played left back and did a very good job there when called into the first team. Not sure what you mean about him playing most of united games recently. He's not played any Prem games this season. United agreed a fee for Telles today. 

1 minute ago, Sideways Jim said:

The player we are looking at for tomorrow isnt playing in England by the sound of it 👀

Will be able to add from these shores until 16th 

Only if we sign from championship or below. Everything else closes tomorrow 

4 minutes ago, Sideways Jim said:

The player we are looking at for tomorrow isnt playing in England by the sound of it 👀

Will be able to add from these shores until 16th 

"by the sound of it" - what makes you say that? I don't doubt you're right though. Prices and wages of players cheaper.

Edited by Chez

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Williams would be a very odd signing if true.

We have two first choice full backs already, so he'd be coming here as cover from a club he's already cover. Makes no sense for Man Utd, us or Williams.

Unless we're braced for a deadline move for Bertrand.

This. Makes no sense as he would be second choice here too

1 hour ago, Saints4Prem said:

I was told today that Sims and Valery are being loaned out so maybe there is something in the Williams rumour. I do not know how reliable this is but apparently came from somebody at Staplewood.

Except Williams is a LB and Valery is a RB........

People talk of Williams blocking Vokins development but it could actually aid it.

1. It might allow him to go on loan and play regular first team football.

OR

2. It might slow him to not be part of first team squad and play regular B team football 

either option would see him playing games rather than just being in the squad for first team and getting no games. 

8 hours ago, Saints4Prem said:

I was told today that Sims and Valery are being loaned out so maybe there is something in the Williams rumour. I do not know how reliable this is but apparently came from somebody at Staplewood.

There’s a good chance this could be true as Williams loan signing rumours being widely reported now. Would make sense for Valery to go out somewhere he would play regularly at this point. And I guess Man U may be happy to loan us Williams if we say he is first choice backup to both our full back positions which should mean he gets some decent game time here.

25 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Do we need another attacking option - yes

Do we need more experience in that area - no

Does this fit with our usual recruitment philosophy (young and developing) - no

Would he offer something different - maybe

Overall, do O think he will be a good addition - no

There are imo better options, I'd rather take a younger player with less experience and far more to prove, even if it turns out to be only for a season.