Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

4 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So... Ralph has said two or three more signings before the transfer window closes. It looks like Diallo must be the first, but what about the other two? What is the latest news on the following players?:

• Ruben Loftus-Cheek
  • Ryan Sessegnon
  • Jovan Cabral
  • Folarin Balogun
  • Jack Butland

Are there any other players with whom we have been linked in the last few days that could be one of the other potential signings?

Also, where are we up to with player sales?:

• Hoedt - was supposed to be rejoining Lazio and having a medical last Monday but seems to have gone quiet. There were some rumblings about Lazio being short of money. Anyone know what's happening?
  • Carrillo - was supposed to be leaving for free to join Elche in La Ligua but again it seems to have gone a little quiet. Any news?
  • Boufal - There was talk of him joining Olimpiacos and then it changed to Angers, but again it has gone quiet!
  • Gunn - Linked with Stoke City, but it seems to be dependant on Butland leaving. There were some rumours of a swap deal with Saints.

Has anyone got any news or updates on any of these or any other potential transfer moves?

Grujic from Liverpool was also linked today. Possible we could be getting two centre-mids in, maybe Grujic on loan with a view to buy? Or maybe he is back up to Diallo. 

I don't think we will sign a GK.

Hoedt seems pretty much done and Carrillo seems close. 

Boufal and Gunn will come down to the last day I reckon. 

I can see Diallo and another loan from a PL club, probably one from RLC, Sessegnon and Grujic. 

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I still think we will get Ntcham as well. Woild be a pretty good window if we pull that off. 

What would be the quoted fee that Celtic would want?

We definately need some competition for Stuey on that Right hand side!

45 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I still think we will get Ntcham as well. Woild be a pretty good window if we pull that off. 

Is that a hunch or do you know something? What's afoot?

0/10 for anybody who says 12 inches

Edited by Charlie Wayman
per EKS - Cheers mate!

17 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Is that a hunch or do you know something? What's a foot?

0/10 for anybody who says 12 inches

Its like a bigger hand with shorter fingers but at the end of your leg instead of your arm, trust this clears things up a bit? :classic_wink:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Tracked them for years, honestly we have. Always our first choice. Loads of potential. Great signing, hard to get over the line but we did it. Lots of interest but chose us over many other clubs. 

the tracked for years thing always sounds a stretch to me. I have no doubt a lot of the players we are linked to in the press (aided no doubt by agents who will find out what scouts fro what clubs come to games) are indeed players we have watched, but just how big is our  European scouting network? 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I really hope your right hypochondriac and that we get Ntcham too! Would be a great window if we can pull that off :)

Diallo sounds really promising and Ralph hopes that it will be done soon :)

Edited by davefizzy14

2 hours ago, Wimborne_saint said:

Finally something happening it seems!

I know it's bobins in todays transfer market, but with the financial difficulties right now, that fee feels a tad steep. I guess the Prem have to pay a premium.

13 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Ralph has just been on Sky but I don’t know what he said as I was on the phone.

It looked like he was saying something!

cant see anything on the website except the old interview about wanting 3 platers in. They report the fee as £12m too, but guess they just got that from the French reports rather than their own sources.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/12087775/ibrahima-diallo-southampton-agree-12m-deal-for-stade-brestois-midfielder

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Diallo and Sessegon would be tasty deals to complete.

Of all the players we were linked with in central midfield, Koopmeiners was the one i really wanted!

Still think (and hope) we’ll get RLC on loan. Offers us something a bit different. 

is sessegon any different or better than what we have? I don’t think so. 

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Still think (and hope) we’ll get RLC on loan. Offers us something a bit different. 

is sessegon any different or better than what we have? I don’t think so. 

I guess it depends on what you think of Redmond and Dejenpo (and to a lessor degree Vokes).

Ralph said in the presser that Sangare didnt get a WP because he wasn't expensive enough.

Did say we have liked players who have ended up elsewhere and that its hard to improve our team on our budget. Eventually it will cause him to leave I reckon.

He did refer to us needing players, plaural though, so maybe one more could happen but I doubt Ntcham. Think more likely a Boufal replacement.

great signing diallo, we have missed a player in that area ever since wanyama and morgan left. 

dont get the calls for sessegnon. i reckon we will only move for a LW if boufal leaves. i still reckon hes more productive than redmond...but attitude or something must be the problem. id rather we get another CM in. we have 3 now + smallbone who hasnt shown he can cut it there yet

18 minutes ago, Maya's Dad said:

great signing diallo, we have missed a player in that area ever since wanyama and morgan left. 

dont get the calls for sessegnon. i reckon we will only move for a LW if boufal leaves. i still reckon hes more productive than redmond...but attitude or something must be the problem. id rather we get another CM in. we have 3 now + smallbone who hasnt shown he can cut it there yet

Slattery was highly rated a couple of seasons ago and had a few promising games for us but then fell out of favour and was loaned out last year. He's been playing pretty well for the B team, so would imagine he'd be on the fringes too if needed. 

Quietly excited about this and the season. With him and Salisu eventually coming into the team, we seem (for the first time since Koeman) to have a physically robust/dynamic spine. That's what our success in those years was largely built on. 

3 GK’s
2 RB’s
4 CB’s
2 LB’s
4 CM’s (Diallo included)
4 AM/Wingers (assuming Boufal goes, and counting Tella)
4 Forwards

I think we’re one AM/Winger away from pretty good quality depth really.

An Ings injury is a concern of course, but most clubs don’t have one prolific striker let alone a reliable backup. I think we now have 4 competent CB’s if Salisu turns out to be decent. A competent full back as cover for each side (Valery and Vokins) albeit long term injuries to KWP or Berty would be a concern for me. I think a Loftus Cheek type AM who can also play CM in games where we’re on the front foot, I think would be ideal, but be surprised if we get him. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Wonder how well we'd do with Diallo/Grujic - Armstrong/JWP - Redmond/Ings as our 2-2-2? (not that I think we'll get two DMs)

Pretty poorly I would think. Jwp has never been effective in more forward positions, and redmond isn’t a striker

11 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Liverpool don’t half get ridiculous money for their reserves. 

Ibe, Solanke, Hoever, Danny Ward, Brad Smith and now Brewster. 

Knocking on £100m for all of those. 

Sounds like Diallo is a goer. From what I've seen and read, happy with that. Hoping we also still make a move for Grujic, although think that one may be a loan with an option. My reasoning for this is that even with Diallo in that still only really gives us 3 options for the defensive 2 midfield players. If one were to be injured/suspended no one to come off the bench, etc.

I see Smallbone as more of a forward CM - back-up for Armstrong, as opposed to JWP/Romeu. Plus there is Tella. Plus, if we also Grujic. Diallo and Romeu available JWP could replace Armstrong if need be - or even KWP if he were out injured.

Basically, I feel that bringing in Grujic would give us more options and flexibility than Loftus-Cheek or Sessegnon.

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Alan Nixon reckons that Las Palmas LB Jeremi Rodriguez we were meant to have signed has actually played for us... anyone know if that’s the case?

Maybe the U18’s ? But not seen his name recently.  We will find out for sure when the squad lists get announced.

Diallo sounds really good, if you were picking the sort of midfielder to replace Hoj he'd be there (looking at his attributes and videos, which granted don't show the whole story!)

If....he's as his videos and the reviews suggest, we've got ourselves a player better suited to how we play than Hoj ever was. Bit of energy through the middle is much needed.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

He's a decent talent, but not a £26-27m decent talent. I thought 'wtf' at the fee when Bournemouth signed Ibe too, he's a similar, yet less experienced player. It's probably a headline fee though, due to his age a lot of that will be spread over the contract and based on all sorts of career driven bonuses imo.

2 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Some interesting comments re the “failed” transfer that went to PSV and the reason a WP was not granted

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-ibrahim-sangare-transfer-news-4570278

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fa-intends-close-work-permit-loophole-protect-english-talent-9976354.html

Under tougher new rules proposed by Dyke, the subjective panel hearings would be scrapped. The criteria would be changed with the threshold of international appearances brought down to 30 per cent, to allow for players from top nations like Brazil where the competition to play international football is that much greater. The player in question would have to play for a country ranked in the top 50 by Fifa. There would be an exemption for any player who cost more than £10m.

The £10m minimum would be brought in to stop the flow of the more mediocre players priced around £2m and £3m, who are regarded as chiefly responsible for blocking the progress of academy players into the first-team squad.

Hence Salisu (£12m) yes, Sangaré (£7m) no. It's ridiculous, this whole nonsense should be scrapped and clubs allowed to sign whoever they want.

19 minutes ago, Cartman said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fa-intends-close-work-permit-loophole-protect-english-talent-9976354.html

Hence Salisu (£12m) yes, Sangaré (£7m) no. It's ridiculous, this whole nonsense should be scrapped and clubs allowed to sign whoever they want.

It also could overly inflate prices.

Yes that should be scrapped - we scout someone but can’t buy them unless we want to pay £10m.

2 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Some interesting comments re the “failed” transfer that went to PSV and the reason a WP was not granted

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-ibrahim-sangare-transfer-news-4570278

As others have previously mentioned, surely we knew about the £10m work permit threshold at the time we drew up our target list? So, why on Earth did we pursue someone who we knew we couldn't sign...? 

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

As others have previously mentioned, surely we knew about the £10m work permit threshold at the time we drew up our target list? So, why on Earth did we pursue someone who we knew we couldn't sign...? 

Is there any discretionary element involved or an appeals process?