Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

Feels like another window wasted (at the moment). Clearly getting players off the books is still important, but at some point Ralph is going to get fed up and walk away without proper backing. 

Also, Charlie Wayman - not sure why it is so awful to suggest that Mario Licka's wife is a very attractive woman? 

• Like 1

I don't really understand why people get so annoyed by the lack of signings in a transfer window and blame the club. 

If a top 6 club want you they are probably paying top dollar -  so you go. For everyone else,  your agent is going to recommend you hold off for as long as possible. The later in the window you leave it, the more desperate the buying club becomes and more likely to throw more money at you. 

I expect the club have made offers for several players but the agents are telling their clients to wait. You would too wouldn't you? The club know they are going to get criticised if they don't land a signing or two. It's why everything goes to the last minute. Some of those players we've spoken to may well be very keen to come here, but there is no advantage to them saying yes yet is there. 

I do feel for the club. They don't know which players will say yes so it must be tough to know whether to move to a different target or not so as not to get left with no one! 

The only way to push signings through is to massively over pay - and that's how you get stuck with Carillo and Hoedt and Boufal etc etc. The only tie we can really judge is when the window is closed. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

When was the last time we tried to rush two deals through on transfer deadline day?

I remember Mane and Toby but the deal took a couple of weeks as we had snippets beforehand.

I personally think we will only get one loan deal in before Monday as we’ve left it too late.

2003.  Higginbotham and Prutton.  #themwerethedays

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TWar said:

If Danny Ings doesn't sign a contract then next summer he will have one year left. This means either we sell him then at a dramatically reduced price or we allow him to go on a free the following summer. This is pretty basic stuff. It is not "garbage". The only thing that would prevent this situation is him signing a contract, which he has yet to do hence the "at the moment". Didn't realise people would need this explicitly spelled out for them.

Also where did Ings say he was definitely staying? If that is the case why hasn't he signed a contract yet?

Despite some of the negative reactions, your point makes perfect sense to me. As well as Ings, we also have Bednarek and Armstrong in the same position of contract finishing in 2 years. That could mean three players that we'll want to sell next summer if we want to generate any income. I personally suspect that due to their ages, both Armstrong and Ings will sign extensions - but nothing is certain. 

I'm even more worried that neither Bertrand & Romeu have signed extensions, this means that both may leave for nothing next summer. On the basis that our current business model remains - we only spend what we bring in, how do we replace two first team regular when we get nothing for them ?   While next summer seems a long way off, I think that they can start negotiating with foreign teams from 1st Jan, and for someone like Romeu I suspect that would be very attractive. 

Maybe we'll be under new owners by then, but unless they want to make significant investments the slow decline of our first team squad of premiership experienced players will continue.   

Someone on the other site reckons two are in and 'just' need to agree terms.

'Ralph gets his man or men as two new arrivals about to arrive at St Mary’s. Sorry not allowed to say yet but contracts have been drawn up just waiting for terms to be finally agreed between their agents but Ralph seems very very confident that he has secured two very good players. Sorry a little vague but just say it is very good news.
Looks as if up to 3 leaving also which will certainly easy the wage bill.'

Edited by DT
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Unless relegated I'm sure if offered new terms they would accept, both won't be going to a bigger club and wouldn't get big pay days anywhere else...

Bertrand absolutely would.  If teams could pick him up on a free, West Ham, Newcastle, Everton would probably be all over him.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Someone on the other site reckons two are in and 'just' need to agree terms.

'Ralph gets his man or men as two new arrivals about to arrive at St Mary’s. Sorry not allowed to say yet but contracts have been drawn up just waiting for terms to be finally agreed between their agents but Ralph seems very very confident that he has secured two very good players. Sorry a little vague but just say it is very good news.
Looks as if up to 3 leaving also which will certainly easy the wage bill.'

Contracts drawn up but terms not yet agreed. Hmm... those terms would be in the contract, weekly salary at the very least lol

1 minute ago, EBS1980 said:

Contracts drawn up but terms not yet agreed. Hmm... those terms would be in the contract, weekly salary at the very least lol

You can draw up contracts for what Saints are offering the new players, they can be altered /edited too if the contracts need changing.

9 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

West Ham maybe, but no chance he would go to Newcastle or Everton. Too many ties to London. 

Even if it is only London, on a free, there are other clubs such as Palace who could be interested and even the bigger clubs might consider Bertrand to be a safe bet squad player if they got him for nothing. 

I'd also be really surprised if Romeu wouldn't have a host of Spanish mid/lower table sides chasing him - he isn't 30 yet and has years of premiership experience. Both Bertrand & Romeu's lack of contract extension is beginning to remind me of the Hojbjerg debacle.

5 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Even if it is only London, on a free, there are other clubs such as Palace who could be interested and even the bigger clubs might consider Bertrand to be a safe bet squad player if they got him for nothing. 

I'd also be really surprised if Romeu wouldn't have a host of Spanish mid/lower table sides chasing him - he isn't 30 yet and has years of premiership experience. Both Bertrand & Romeu's lack of contract extension is beginning to remind me of the Hojbjerg debacle.

Include Ings in that too....

17 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Hasn't Bertrand signed a new 3 year deal?

For a permanent deal to happen, especially for a player from abroad, I would think we would hear something from good sources by the end of Friday, surely? Hopefully we are advanced with a player by now!

Domestic loans can happen quicker I would have thought.

Sorry for being off-topic, but Turkish is sadly missed on the UI. Hope to see him back there soon.

Back on topic, I can see us getting a couple of loans in by Monday. And then using the extended EFL window to pick up another 1 or 2. Unless some miracles happen with Carillo and Hoedt departing to free up a bit more cash.

I’d really like somebody like Kouyate at Palace. A good strong midfielder who can also play CB. Not that Palace would be daft enough to sell him.

1 minute ago, Pat from Poole said:

Sorry for being off-topic, but Turkish is sadly missed on the UI. Hope to see him back there soon.

Back on topic, I can see us getting a couple of loans in by Monday. And then using the extended EFL window to pick up another 1 or 2. Unless some miracles happen with Carillo and Hoedt departing to free up a bit more cash.

I’d really like somebody like Kouyate at Palace. A good strong midfielder who can also play CB. Not that Palace would be daft enough to sell him.

But we can only loan in 1 player from another prem club? Can we buy from prem clubs within that window? 

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Yeh well run club that Villa, paying £11 million for a player for one season. Isn't Bale only costing about that for Spurs? 

Considering Spurs turned down 1.5M from PSG for a loan fee for Alli I would say this is absolute rubbish!

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Over at sky bet loftus cheek has shortened into 4-9 fav next club Southampton 

West Ham are 5-1!!

this actually looks pretty promising hopefully someone in the know :)

Lol quoting myself but isn’t anyone else a bit excited by this?

Latest news seems to be more about Chelsea trying to give rlc and Rudiger for rice.

so the fact we are that short there really could be something in this 😃👌

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Over at sky bet loftus cheek has shortened into 4-9 fav next club Southampton 

West Ham are 5-1!!

this actually looks pretty promising hopefully someone in the know :)

Just now, pimpin4rizeal said:

Lol quoting myself but isn’t anyone else a bit excited by this?

Latest news seems to be more about Chelsea trying to give rlc and Rudiger for rice.

so the fact we are that short there really could be something in this 😃👌

Odds are impacted by random fans seeing rumours and putting money on it, then that snowballs as other fans see odds shortening and thinking it means something is happening even if it isn't. It really is not a good way of determining if a transfer is likely to happen.