Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

We have to scrape around in the last few days to get deals done and Villa who were our relegation rival last year can pull off signings like this. Shame because with a player like Barkley we would really kick on and be pushing for Europe. Our lack of spending has put us straight back in a relegation battle.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1311236346745323521

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2020/september/Villa-announce-Barkley-loan-signing/

6 minutes ago, SaintSmithy97 said:

We have to scrape around in the last few days to get deals done and Villa who were our relegation rival last year can pull off signings like this. Shame because with a player like Barkley we would really kick on and be pushing for Europe. Our lack of spending has put us straight back in a relegation battle.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1311236346745323521

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2020/september/Villa-announce-Barkley-loan-signing/

Relegation rivals? I thought we finished 11th, 18 points above relegation?

Just now, Little Lat Pahars said:

Relegation rivals? I thought we finished 11th, 18 points above relegation?

We were for sure out that battle with 6 games to go, however, for the majority of the season we were looking at Villa, hoping they dropped points so yes, a relegation rival. Frustrating our owner can't back us in the market like Villa's or we'd be competing for top 8...

Just now, SaintSmithy97 said:

We were for sure out that battle with 6 games to go, however, for the majority of the season we were looking at Villa, hoping they dropped points so yes, a relegation rival. Frustrating our owner can't back us in the market like Villa's or we'd be competing for top 8...

We were basically safe when we beat Palace in mid January. Anyway, Barkley has done bugger all since he was injured at Everton 3 years ago. He could find a second wind at Villa but I can’t say I’m green with envy.

29 minutes ago, SaintSmithy97 said:

You mean back us as in spend hundreds of millions to so far finish 1 point above relegation last year? 

Like Fulham spent well over £100 million to get relegated?

Compared to Sheff Utd who have not spent anything like what Fulham or Villa spent and finished above us. 

Improving your squad is one thing but just throwing money at anything that moves is not exactly a way to build a team. Plus people forget its easier for promoted clubs to spend money because they have budgets and lots of players wages that are basically at championship level and then get £100 million plus thrown at them which allows them to expand their squads and signings quickly.

Whereas if you look at the table above, the more established PL clubs there who will have players on PL wages like us, Burnley, Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle etc. are not spending the same level because FFP restricts how much you can increase your wage budget. 

27 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We were basically safe when we beat Palace in mid January. Anyway, Barkley has done bugger all since he was injured at Everton 3 years ago. He could find a second wind at Villa but I can’t say I’m green with envy.

Not getting the Barkley love in either, over hyped teenager who has pretty much sat on Chelsea's bench for 3 years. 

8 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

You mean back us as in spend hundreds of millions to so far finish 1 point above relegation last year? 

Like Fulham spent well over £100 million to get relegated?

Compared to Sheff Utd who have not spent anything like what Fulham or Villa spent and finished above us. 

Improving your squad is one thing but just throwing money at anything that moves is not exactly a way to build a team. Plus people forget its easier for promoted clubs to spend money because they have budgets and lots of players wages that are basically at championship level and then get £100 million plus thrown at them which allows them to expand their squads and signings quickly.

Whereas if you look at the table above, the more established PL clubs there who will have players on PL wages like us, Burnley, Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle etc. are not spending the same level because FFP restricts how much you can increase your wage budget. 

Not getting the Barkley love in either, over hyped teenager who has pretty much sat on Chelsea's bench for 3 years. 

I actually think Villa are building a decent team / squad TBH

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

There's not even any credible links are there, a couple of reports that we've show an interest in but nothing concrete at all. What an absolute shambles. 

Would hope we know who we are going for and have made firm moves in the last couple of days. Assuming Sangare was the target we missed out on (as reported by Blackmore), Ralph seemed confident we had other options available, rather than concerned.

Presume he will do a presser Friday, will be interesting to see what he says as by then if not much is expected it will be very disappointing and will suggest its gone further wrong. The best deals of this last week will be done before the weekend IMO. 

Hopefully the Diallo talk from l'equipe comes to something.

https://www.nhnieuws.nl/nieuws/273829/southampton-niet-concreet-voor-interessante-speler-joey-veerman

A scout for Saints in Holland suggests we are watching Veerman but won't move for him yet as he isnt PL ready off the ball and says we are suprised Sangare opted for PSV over Saints...noyhing about work permit.

Then for the second signing (maybe Sessegnon on loan?) it is surely dependent upon Boufal...and thats gone quiet.

Edited by Dusic

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Declan Rice. Now there’s an over rated player if ever there was one.

he was bloody amazing against us a couple of seasons ago at SMS. Best player on the pitch by a country mile. Perhaps that was as good as it got?

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

it suggests we will hold out for a loan until the window closes and if nothing happens we will make some sort of agreement with him. It also suggests our loan demands have put a few off. I wonder what terms he will agree to? 75% of his wages for the final 11 months of his contract? If thats the case, then it means we can't even get someone to pay more than 25% of his wages.

Now clubs know we will pay him off, they will just wait for that to happen.

Edited by Chez

15 hours ago, Chez said:

Leeds agree a £20m fee for Michael Cuisance. I like the look of him a lot. Not a holding midfielder we need, but technically really good. 

scrub that, fee now appears to be £9m. This is in our price range, we have previous dealings for Bayern, we need midfield creativity...

5 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Guido Carillo to have his contract terminated. This has to go down as the biggest waste of money in the clubs history?!

Hes comfortably the worst signing in the history of the Premier League.

Its infuriating that Les Reed and Ross Wilson left here with strong reputations after shite like this. The media even referred Wilson as a transfer guru when he went to Rangers. 🤢

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Carrillo off the books...should free up half of what he was on (as he must of been paid off a percentage)....

Boufal v.soon hopefully gone too.....

Hoedt & Lemona next summer.....

Hoedt and Lemina signed five year deals, I think,  so he might be with us until 2022, unless it all goes well with their loans...

4 minutes ago, Hatch said:

Who's that little Scottish 13 year old or whatever that plays for Chelsea and everyone raved about for about a week last season,    Can't we sign him on loan.

Billy Gilmour.

Main worry with him is he is tiny and slight, he's more like a sitting playmaker type than a box to box or defensive midfielder, he'd make JWP look big I think. 

18 minutes ago, Hatch said:

Who's that little Scottish 13 year old or whatever that plays for Chelsea and everyone raved about for about a week last season,    Can't we sign him on loan.

12 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Billy Gilmour.

Main worry with him is he is tiny and slight, he's more like a sitting playmaker type than a box to box or defensive midfielder, he'd make JWP look big I think. 

Has an injury at the mo.

Genuine question - what type of central midfielder are we after ?

I think it is too simplistic to say CM or DM, they need to have certain qualities for Ralphs system, how do they compare to JWP, do we need more creative or just a destroyer to fit in our system of collective pressing and disruption ?

So I have had a look at the last 3 linked and compared them with JWP - personally I like Veermans decisiveness as i think that is missing from a lot of our players 

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.30.34.png

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.31.13.png

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.31.55.png

Edited by Convict Colony

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Genuine question - what type of central midfielder are we after ?

I think it is too simplistic to say CM or DM, they need to have certain qualities for Ralphs system, how do they compare to JWP, do we need more creative or just a destroyer to fit in our system of collective pressing and disruption ?

So I have had a look at the last 3 linked and compared them with JWP

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.30.34.png

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.31.13.png

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.31.55.png

Great info - thanks for producing this ...   In summary Sangare and Diallo are both genuine defensive midfielders while Veerman is more creative but limited physically and defensively.  As they are complementary it would be nice to think that we could buy both Diallo and Veerman. (I know, I'll wake up from that dream  in a minute). 

Thanks again - very interesting. 

• Like 1

Interesting I think this is the dude that got Seager into Telstar and also I think Slattery into De Graaf.

I would be surprised if the scouts know who we are going to buy yet as I thought they just were creating profiles and giving updates etc and the powers that be decide.

If we arent interested in Veermans then what is the point of the scout being there last week ?

Very strange all of this and his feedback on Sangarre doesnt tie in with Blackmore saying we didnt get a work permit ?

A link - https://www.nhnieuws.nl/nieuws/273829/southampton-niet-concreet-voor-interessante-speler-joey-veerman

From this article: (dunno maybe trying to not sound too interested before we bid ?)

"He is not yet good enough defensively. The pace is still a bit too low and the switch could be better. He is Premier League-worthy on the ball, but without the ball he still has to take a few steps."

Edited by Convict Colony