Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I agree, proven by Peiters, Propper and Wijnaldum.

All three Dutch players playing in Holland, really not much to do with the argument about foreign players choosing to go to Eredivisie or PL in 2020. Might not be 2020 but ask Tadic about the choice, seems to have done quite well since deciding Ajax was a better bet than Saints. Some people need to wake up and see the situation as is now and not a few years ago. The PL outside the Top 6 or even the Top 2 is not the pot of gold it once was. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Reckon we had sangaree on the back burner incase other option fell through hence a little slow 

Other option being ? Trouble with this approach is eventually option A goes elsewhere and we end up with neither.

It really is a shit or bust approach.

16 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Something's haven't changed still from relaxed Les days gone by. I do wonder whether we try and be too clever just to save a few pounds and end up missing out more often than not. 

I reckon we may have wanted him but stalled until we could gather some funds together. Got trumped by PSV they had the 💰💰waiting

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Quite damning really.

Looks as if Les has left his DNA and the Art of Dithering marked all over the club.

Come off it! As if they wouldn’t have waited another week if there was a genuine chance of another £10k a week in it. This is just a generic, "there were other clubs interested but I had my heart set on Club X," signing statement.

21 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Reckon we had sangaree on the back burner incase other option fell through hence a little slow 

That other option could be progressing in the background and maybe why we didnt commit to Sangare. Maybe a higher profile target who we could get at the right price (alluding to Semmens comments)*

*really wishful thinking

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

What do you think, jwp to sit and pass and this guy to go forward ?

Which is all well and good, but who breaks up the play/tackles people?

Some of these links are weird, Ralph has said he wants a ‘6’ - some links seem to be a 6 (Sangare), others don’t seem to be that at all (RLC, this guy, Davies)

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Which is all well and good, but who breaks up the play/tackles people?

Some of these links are weird, Ralph has said he wants a ‘6’ - some links seem to be a 6 (Sangare), others don’t seem to be that at all (RLC, this guy, Davies)

Isnt the essence of our system everyone disrupts and breaks up play rather than the previous destroyer type CM.

It's going to be interesting for sure what type we get and how Ralph interprets a 6 type player for our side.

I honestly think our slowness is because we have to wait to release more players, which in turn releases more finance. that's my hunch.

They'd probably come to us without much issue, but if I was them I wouldn't want to hang around whilst we tried to find a buyer for Hoedt/Carillo/Boufal etc. Kinda puts their career on hold if they have other options, and that's what PSV presented as.

5 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Would totally take Theo on loan, great move for both parties. We need extra forward/no10 options, he is more of a goal threat than Redmond/Djenpo, we wouldn't be committing a huge transfer fee. We have plenty of younger players to develop, we need a little balance with experience.

If we loaned Sessegnon, would he play right away? He's got potential but he's not made an impact this level yet. Would seem pointless unless we could sign him permanently. Theo would add more instantly. 

If that gives us more money to spend on the CM then go for it.

While it's annoying fans, I think it's good we're being more cautious with targets. We've clearly missed out on some but after the disasters of big money moves previously, we need to make sure we get it right. Rather it costs us a few games than holds us back financially for years like Lemina, carillo, elyounnousi, Boufal, hoedt, clasie, osvaldo.....christ we've signed some expensive rubbish. 

This is spot on

My wife is Dutch, so I've spoken to some of her family about Veerman. Jury seems to be out. General vibe was that he's had one good season in a team who are basically Championship standard. Started as a defensive midfielder but plays a more attacking role at Heerenveen. Good passer of the ball. Poor in the air. Not a great crosser of the ball.
When I mentioned that he's been linked with Southampton the four people I spoke to all seemed surprised and said "Maybe as a substitute (I think they meant reserve) but Southampton will have better players". I had to explain that Southampton are really struggling for midfield players, particularly someone who can play the defensive / holding role. 
They all said, Southampton can do better... But none of them realised the current state of affairs. They can't understand why we're looking at him unless it's for the future. They all think we should be spending £20-£25 million, which we probably should, but we obviously don't have that sort of money.

I had to laugh when I asked my brother-in-law for his view and he paused and said "He is maybe Norwich City". 

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Ah! Not another one like Jorde Classé comes to mind? Not sure Heerenveen is where we should be looking.

My son lives in Amsterdam and his reaction was 'tell me your kidding!"

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dobbo said:

This is spot on

Are you mad? How is any of that post by Adrian spot-on? More like a black spot. The post is utterly mental.

Sessegnon is a good player that’s just not had a chance yet under Mourinho (consider the players that he’s let go or dropped: KWP, Salah, David Luiz, Filipe Luis, De Bruyne, Mata, Robben, Dier)

This is the exact player we should be after. Sessegnon. A real pressing, attacking threat and a young talent with bags of potential. Exactly the remit that the club tirelessly regurgitate as “the Southampton way”. 

I would personally prefer a little more Premier League experience in some signings, to mentor the younger players we seem to favour.

You’re praising a Dutch nobody that no-one knows anything about and talking him up on the internet to be ‘perfect for our club’ (or some are)  🤪

Crazy logic. Same madness as all these people online, writing off our club for not signing players that we likely had no interest in & the sources were probably just badly written rumours created by incoherent fans or agents to drum up interest. This kid sounds well below our level. 

If you stop to consider all the other Dutch successes we have had, I am surprised we even consider it. Fans read about this nobody from the Dutch league and - suddenly - ‘some’ people appear to have collectively decided that an inexperienced Dutch kid (who possibly had one run of form) is the answer to our midfield hole. Højbjerg wasn’t and he came from a much better calibre. Lemina wasn’t. Clasie wasn’t. Svensson wasn’t (going back). All of which had bags more European & International experience. 

Why do we decide unknown players, clearly of a  lower level than all of those touted, are the answer? From a scouting report found online. 

Look at our previous records with Dutch, Scandinavian, Flemish or most European  players (Clasie, Svensson, Forren, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Osvaldo, Carillo, Djuricic, Mayuka, Juanmi, Taider, Lemina, etc etc.) 

Sessegnon would be class and actual journalists praise him.

Walcott would be good? Lunacy. He’s another Lallana, a Barry Venison. Nothing to offer, after a pay day, heart not in it, overpaid and on silly wages, potentially an inflated ego from being at a bigger PL club and dropping to a lower level. Not to mention, always injured.

An unknown kid from Holland who has no idea of the rigours, pace, physicality or high press demands of Ralph and the Premier League will always struggle and it would be too much pressure to throw him straight in. Perhaps that is another of our problems, that we put too much pressure on a young, underdeveloped mind and we have stopped nurturing them as well as we did in the past. Some things in life cannot be rushed. 

Don’t write off the one decent option touted and then praise the two absolutely awful options. Follow government advice #StayAlert and maybe add #Think. 😉

5 hours ago, dobbo said:

This is spot on

Edited by Gordon Mockles
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ah! Not another one like Jorde Classé comes to mind? Not sure Heerenveen is where we should be looking.

My son lives in Amsterdam and his reaction was 'tell me your kidding!"

Oh no... this is terrible. Truely. 

Your son should know that the abbreviation of 'you are' is 'you're'.. hope this works out for you, fella. 

But yea, Heerenveen are shite. 

• Haha 2

Some quotes from eredivisie fans on reddit regarding Veerman:

"Would be a fantastic step up for him. However, he won't be cheap - we really don't have anyone who can fill his role at the moment. Then again, there's nobody out there we can afford that's comparable to him in quality. He's incredibly composed on the ball, and his through balls are of a different class. He's simply our best player at the moment, and probably our best player of the last five years. For the time he's been here, his presence is practically impossible to replace; his vision and quality in controlling the pace of the match is amazing. If he'd go to Southampton, a Veerman-Ings combination could be deadly. It's of course still a gamble, with him coming from the Eredivisie, but I think he would be a great fit for a counterattacking team."

"Call me crazy, but I genuinely believe he is too good for Southampton already. That's no knock to Southampton btw, in fact, that's a very good thing for Southampton if they manage to get him."

"His quality doesn't lie in running, but much rather in his passing. His passing and vision is truly exceptional. I don't think De Jong is a good comp at all to be honest, he's not as physical and doesn't win as many balls back. De Jong usually starts the attack and gives hockey assists while Veerman directly creates the chance either for a teammate or himself. He's more like a Dutch KDB-light (I know it sounds ridiculous, but he's really that good). He's more dangerous in front of goal than De Jong too. Opponents have started to put a man on him at all times and they literally leave him alone once or twice and it's immediately two goalscoring opportunities for a teammate. Personally I think the Bundesliga or Serie A is a better fit for him than the Premier League but we will see."

---

Sounds like the deep lying playmaker we are calling out for. In regards to Sangare, reads to me like we were keeping him on the line as a back up, perhaps while trying to get Luis, and he got tired of waiting around. Seems unlikely we wouldn't give the < £10m required to get him and then would happily spend £12m+ on Veerman for instance, also if Sangare was that good he wouldn't be going for that little money and not be picked up by a bigger team.

Personally I think we should be far more concerned with acquiring a deep lying playmaker who can split the lines with passes and control the tempo than we should be picking up a destroyer who is great in a tackle. JWP is already an exceptional tackler but too often we pass sidewards and backwards in the build up and great runs from Adams, Ings, Armstrong et al. go wanting for a great through-ball, which sounds like what Veerman is all about.

29 minutes ago, Gordon Mockles said:

Are you mad? How is any of that post by Adrian spot-on? More like a black spot. The post is utterly mental.

Sessegnon is a good player that’s just not had a chance yet under Mourinho (consider the players that he’s let go or dropped: KWP, Salah, David Luiz, Filipe Luis, De Bruyne, Mata, Robben, Dier)

This is the exact player we should be after. Sessegnon. A real pressing, attacking threat and a young talent with bags of potential. Exactly the remit that the club tirelessly regurgitate as “the Southampton way”. 

I would personally prefer a little more Premier League experience in some signings, to mentor the younger players we seem to favour.

You’re praising a Dutch nobody that no-one knows anything about and talking him up on the internet to be ‘perfect for our club’ (or some are)  🤪

Crazy logic. Same madness as all these people online, writing off our club for not signing players that we likely had no interest in & the sources were probably just badly written rumours created by incoherent fans or agents to drum up interest. This kid sounds well below our level. 

If you stop to consider all the other Dutch successes we have had, I am surprised we even consider it. Fans read about this nobody from the Dutch league and - suddenly - ‘some’ people appear to have collectively decided that an inexperienced Dutch kid (who possibly had one run of form) is the answer to our midfield hole. Højbjerg wasn’t and he came from a much better calibre. Lemina wasn’t. Clasie wasn’t. Svensson wasn’t (going back). All of which had bags more European & International experience. 

Why do we decide unknown players, clearly of a  lower level than all of those touted, are the answer? From a scouting report found online. 

Look at our previous records with Dutch, Scandinavian, Flemish or most European  players (Clasie, Svensson, Forren, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Osvaldo, Carillo, Djuricic, Mayuka, Juanmi, Taider, Lemina, etc etc.) 

Sessegnon would be class and actual journalists praise him.

Walcott would be good? Lunacy. He’s another Lallana, a Barry Venison. Nothing to offer, after a pay day, heart not in it, overpaid and on silly wages, potentially an inflated ego from being at a bigger PL club and dropping to a lower level. Not to mention, always injured.

An unknown kid from Holland who has no idea of the rigours, pace, physicality or high press demands of Ralph and the Premier League will always struggle and it would be too much prestige to throw them in. Perhaps that is another of our problems, that we put too much pressure on a young, underdeveloped mind and we have stopped nurturing them as well as we did in the past. Some things in life cannot be rushed. 

Don’t write off the one decent option touted and then praise the two absolutely awful options. Follow government advice #StayAlert and maybe add #Think. 😉

Half of them arent even european fs. You've conveniently omitted Tadic and Pelle, two of our best players in the past 10 years and were both nododys who came from the dutch league. I'm not saying this kid is the answer because I'm honest to admit I know nothing about him. You seem to be an expert on dutch players tho.

And why Sessegnon? We have plenty of cover down the left side and hes hardly oozing PL experience. In fact his only real PL experience was in a very poor Fulham side.

Dont write off one unknown option and then praise another largely unknown option. #Think

• Like 1

I completely agree with Gordon Mockles about Sessegnon. I think he would be terrific for us, and would link up really well with Bertrand.

Redmond is a versatile enough player to play on the other side of midfield or alternatively as a more central attacking midfielder. Djenepo shows a lot of promise but isn’t quite consistent enough at the moment.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Ralph ‘Okay we’ve missed out on our main target again but never mind next on the black box is someone called Joey.’

The rest of the transfer panel ‘Okay let’s go home and have a think about it and when we meet next week we should vote on whether to bid for him.’

Ralph ‘The transfer deadline is next Monday so that would only give us a couple of hours to get it over the line.’

Semmens ‘Not to worry as we can try and get him in the January transfer market when he might be cheaper.’

(Ralph groans)

Edited by Pilchards

58 minutes ago, TWar said:

Some quotes from eredivisie fans on reddit regarding Veerman:

"Would be a fantastic step up for him. However, he won't be cheap - we really don't have anyone who can fill his role at the moment. Then again, there's nobody out there we can afford that's comparable to him in quality. He's incredibly composed on the ball, and his through balls are of a different class. He's simply our best player at the moment, and probably our best player of the last five years. For the time he's been here, his presence is practically impossible to replace; his vision and quality in controlling the pace of the match is amazing. If he'd go to Southampton, a Veerman-Ings combination could be deadly. It's of course still a gamble, with him coming from the Eredivisie, but I think he would be a great fit for a counterattacking team."

"Call me crazy, but I genuinely believe he is too good for Southampton already. That's no knock to Southampton btw, in fact, that's a very good thing for Southampton if they manage to get him."

"His quality doesn't lie in running, but much rather in his passing. His passing and vision is truly exceptional. I don't think De Jong is a good comp at all to be honest, he's not as physical and doesn't win as many balls back. De Jong usually starts the attack and gives hockey assists while Veerman directly creates the chance either for a teammate or himself. He's more like a Dutch KDB-light (I know it sounds ridiculous, but he's really that good). He's more dangerous in front of goal than De Jong too. Opponents have started to put a man on him at all times and they literally leave him alone once or twice and it's immediately two goalscoring opportunities for a teammate. Personally I think the Bundesliga or Serie A is a better fit for him than the Premier League but we will see."

these contrast starkly the second hand comments on his ability. 

He looks like he has a nice right foot, lots of composure and can pick a pass. Decent long shot on him too. Not sure of his defensive attributes. 

3 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Half of them arent even european fs. You've conveniently omitted Tadic and Pelle, two of our best players in the past 10 years and were both nododys who came from the dutch league. I'm not saying this kid is the answer because I'm honest to admit I know nothing about him. You seem to be an expert on dutch players tho.

And why Sessegnon? We have plenty of cover down the left side and hes hardly oozing PL experience. In fact his only real PL experience was in a very poor Fulham side.

Dont write off one unknown option and then praise another largely unknown option. #Think

Pelle and Tadic were not flops (nor were they nobodies - both established internationals) so why would I list them with the flops? 

Not all were European such as Gaston Ramirez but he was signed from Europe - Italy (Bologna).   

Why Sessegnon?

Because he’s class.

England international. The youngest ever player to score in a Championship match. Bagged up tons of goals as an attacking full / wing back for Fulham. 

Instrumental in helping Fulham’s promotion to the Premier League previously. 

Scored 15 goals and won shed loads of awards. He scored 25 goals in total for Fulham, as a full back / winger, before joining Spurs. He oozes class. Levy is notoriously careful with money and I don’t think spurs would’ve paid 25 million for someone they thought was crap. 

I doubt we will get him but I would be over the moon if we did as we need a long-term replacement & competition for Bertrand.

Edited by Gordon Mockles