Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

Adams has had a good start to the season, linking well with Ings and his hold up play has been great! Add goals to that and we will be seeing the player we signed. 

Good job fans aren't in the stands at the minute because they would be destroying his confidence, which it looks to me is the highest its been since he signed for us

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

With Sangare all but signed by PSV the only real links seem to be Davies, RLC and Sessegnon

Those do seem to be the main links, but they are not the only ones, albeit, many of the other links seem to have gone quiet. There are also a few positive links in terms of us selling players. I tried to summarise everything the other day. Here is a slightly shortened version of that summary again (with Florentino Luis removed following his move to Monaco):

On 25/09/2020 at 02:10, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Potential Outs

• Hoedt - loan-to-buy deal reportedly agreed with Lazio, based on achievement of certain criteria. Both fee (£4.6m vs £7.8m) and wages (£30,000 vs £60,000) have been issues.
  • Boufal – In talks to move to Olympiacos with Angers also interested.
  • Carrillo - Velez Sarsfield in Argentina but evidently Carrillo did not want to go home and there has been little or no other news.
  • Gunn – Leeds are rumoured to be interested in signing him on loan, though rumours remain that he may go to Stoke – potentially on a swap deal for Jack Butland.
  • Vestergaard -previously linked with Leicester; recently linked with West Ham – but only as a loan deal which would not interest Saints.

Potential Ins – Central Midfield

Ibrahim Sangare (Toulouse)

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea) – Loan

Olivier Ntcham (Celtic)

Tom Davies (Everton) – Loan

Hamza Choudhury (Leicester)

Dejan Ljubicic (Rapid Vienna) –  reported to be staying in Austria

Orel Mangala (Stuttgart) – linked in August but no recent reports

Idrissa Doumbia (Sporting Lisbon) – work permit issues have made signing him look not feasible

Kristoffer Ajer (Celtic) - stronger links with AC Milan than Saints (mainly a CB but also plays CM)

Potential Ins – Wing/attacking midfield

Ryan Sessegnon (Spurs) – LB/LW – Loan

Jovan Cabral (Sporting Lisbon) – RW

Potential Ins – Other

Folarin Balogun (Arsenal) – striker – more likely to go to Sheff Utd

Jack Butland (Stoke) – GK – swap deal with Angus Gunn

As a recent link, Jovan Cabral may also be one to keep an eye on but we shall have to see if it comes up again in the coming week or not.

3 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

He's at least as good as Long. Better technically and less frequently caught offside. Also seems to create a lot of space for Ings and works hard. Don't think he scares defenders from leaving space behind them like Long does, and he doesn't win as much in the air, either.

Overall I think he's a decent player,  his only problem is that he seems to score in clusters then go on extended barren runs.

there was a two opportunities for him yesterday. The first, a first time shot from a nice cross, but he put it over. It wasn't easy, but top strikers may well score there. The second, a ball over the top that he didn't have enough pace to out run the CB when given half a yard start.  I like him, but unless he takes more chances we'll need to try again as we have Long filing that role already.  

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

there was a two opportunities for him yesterday. The first, a first time shot from a nice cross, but he put it over. It wasn't easy, but top strikers may well score there. The second, a ball over the top that he didn't have enough pace to out run the CB when given half a yard start.  I like him, but unless he takes more chances we'll need to try again as we have Long filing that role already.  

I like long, but Adams has been far more effective at linking play than long ever was.  He just needs a bit more composure in front of goal and he’ll be a 10 goal a season guy and a big asset to us.  I think he’ll come good On that front

6 hours ago, adriansfc said:

What have people got against him? He's already grown into the role and formed a good partnership with Ings. The season's barely got going but his hold up play and passing have been decent, key role in the goal yesterday and I'm sure he'll score a few.

I think people often overlook the value a good strike partnership is worth when on of the two is scoring all the goals they tend to right off the other partner.

They seem to work very well together and Adams seems to also be showing some of his strength despite his relative smaller height he was bullying some of those Burnley defenders last night and you can see how much Ings values him by the way he celebrated the goal with him. 

10 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Set up the winner yesterday...then our way of playing meant him and Ings were basically getting no service. Felt sorry for them two really. We were so shit moving the ball from the back to the front last night.

Maybe because the set up is all wrong with OR and JWP playing deep defensive roles while Djenepo and Armstrong seem to think they are strikers rather than providers. Ralph keeps telling everyone that they should provide goals so we've ended up in effect with four strikers, no attacking midfielders and six defenders. 

On 26/09/2020 at 17:26, Matthew Le God said:

That didn't answer the question at the start of the post. The last time they didn't qualify for Europe just backs up my point that they are in an extremely weak league.

But that doesn't make them an extremely weak team. Your argument is ridiculous and you know it. Give someone a choice of playing for PSV or Ajax or playing for Southampton and I would guarantee 95% of players in Europe would choose PSV or Ajax every time. The idea that someone wants to play in the PL with the thrilling prospect of matches against Burnley, West Brom, Sheffield United, Wolves and getting trashed by Liverpool, Man City (well maybe not today), Man U, Chelsea or Arsenal or develop their skills in a less demanding but technically excellent league like Eredivisie, playing European football regularly, living in a pleasant environment and country like the Netherlands and yes even having a top class training ground (De Herdgang is at least the equal of Staplewood, most would say it was far better (actually quite similar location wise). Ask Tadic which is better for your career, getting clogged in the PL or playing for one of the Big 2 (because Feyenoord have dropped off a little in the last few seasons) and being able to show your skills. As long as the money is comparable I know what I would prefer (and I quite like Southampton). No surprise in my mind that a player would prefer PSV with all its history and facilities than Southampton where you have to work bloody hard chasing down your opponent when working for Ralph.

6 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

But that doesn't make them an extremely weak team. Your argument is ridiculous and you know it. Give someone a choice of playing for PSV or Ajax or playing for Southampton and I would guarantee 95% of players in Europe would choose PSV or Ajax every time. The idea that someone wants to play in the PL with the thrilling prospect of matches against Burnley, West Brom, Sheffield United, Wolves and getting trashed by Liverpool, Man City (well maybe not today), Man U, Chelsea or Arsenal or develop their skills in a less demanding but technically excellent league like Eredivisie, playing European football regularly, living in a pleasant environment and country like the Netherlands and yes even having a top class training ground (De Herdgang is at least the equal of Staplewood, most would say it was far better (actually quite similar location wise). Ask Tadic which is better for your career, getting clogged in the PL or playing for one of the Big 2 (because Feyenoord have dropped off a little in the last few seasons) and being able to show your skills. As long as the money is comparable I know what I would prefer (and I quite like Southampton). No surprise in my mind that a player would prefer PSV with all its history and facilities than Southampton where you have to work bloody hard chasing down your opponent when working for Ralph.

I think most footballers like the Premiership for the money, and don’t really care about living near nice windmills.

13 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Then explain why in the recent past they have lost starting players to the likes of Brighton, Newcastle, Betis, Hoffenheim and Frankfurt. It's 2020 not 1988.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pilchards said:

I get the feeling we will end up with Choudary and Davies because nobody else wants them.

Hope not as they both don’t excite me at all.

Choudhury at least has some of the attributes we can use: good engine, workrate, and a physical (sometimes too physical) ball winner. He'd be Romeu with legs. And hair.

Davies is just nothing. Doesn't defend or attack. Stealing a living.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Choudhury at least has some of the attributes we can use: good engine, workrate, and a physical (sometimes too physical) ball winner. He'd be Romeu with legs. And hair.

Davies is just nothing. Doesn't defend or attack. Stealing a living.

Would be a decent signing to come in and be mouldable for us, But would he really want to come here and be in the same position as he is now, and not a starter? Surely the club would be looking for someone to come in and go directly into the matchday 11. 

Davies would be a decent option, And i think could definitely compete with Armstrong on that right hand Number 10 spot, CM No. I wouldn't be against a Loan to buy option there personally.

Think one thing we are lacking at the moment is a cm that has a bit of pace to drive forward with the ball at pace sometimes. Romeau and ward prowse are both pretty static (jwp) doesn’t have the pace to do it.

shame that Ralph didn’t fancy lemina as he did have this in his locker..

maybe davies could bring this actually?

a couple of our best openings came from Armstrong being able to burst through like this but a lot of the time he is stuck out wide and our attack becomes a bit flat and static 

Nothing particularly new, but from David Ornstein @ The Athletic: 

England Under-21 international Ryan Sessegnon is expected to leave Tottenham on loan. Brighton, Southampton and Hertha Berlin are currently showing the most interest, with Leeds another potential destination. Ajax could also be a possibility but only if left-back Nicolas Tagliafico exits the Dutch club. Most suitors would like an option to buy included in the loan, which Spurs are reluctant to grant, while a further complication is Tottenham’s request for a loan fee and full coverage of Sessegnon’s salary.

Edited by SuperSAINT

40 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Well he would be a fantastic Ready made first teamer to partner JWP., Sadly... Fulham and Leeds have the fee to tempt the club into Selling, I doubt whether Saints do. 

Sangare would've been perfect for the fee that was being touted. I can't see us being able to sign anyone until Hoedt and Boufal are gone. How depressing. 

13 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Think one thing we are lacking at the moment is a cm that has a bit of pace to drive forward with the ball at pace sometimes. Romeau and ward prowse are both pretty static (jwp) doesn’t have the pace to do it.

shame that Ralph didn’t fancy lemina as he did have this in his locker..

maybe davies could bring this actually?

a couple of our best openings came from Armstrong being able to burst through like this but a lot of the time he is stuck out wide and our attack becomes a bit flat and static 

Then you've never seen Davies play. He's got no pace at all. He's Prowse of five years ago (sideways and backwards passing, can't tackle, feeble, completely ineffective) without the set piece ability.

I can't think why we would have any interest in him. Everton fans who watch him week in and week out would drive him down here themselves. 

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

From what Dan Sheldon said on TSP it sounds like Sangare was the permanent signing we were hoping to make.

Reckon it will be loans now.

Not entirely sure how we've managed to miss out on that one, less than £10m.

Work Permits, as speculated?

But again, we've had over a year to think about this, so you'd hope we've sourced players and scouted players to understand how buyable they are.

What is all this PR bullshit about us always having a list of 4/5 players lined up for any potential departure? Yet here we are, sniffing around last min loans, for players who wouldn't have been available a year ago anyway. (so, reactive buys).

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not entirely sure how we've managed to miss out on that one, less than £10m.

Work Permits, as speculated?

But again, we've had over a year to think about this, so you'd hope we've sourced players and scouted players to understand how buyable they are.

What is all this PR bullshit about us always having a list of 4/5 players lined up for any potential departure? Yet here we are, sniffing around last min loans, for players who wouldn't have been available a year ago anyway. (so, reactive buys).

This.

Depressing to even think for one millisecond that winning on the weekend might have dampened our search for new players but the delay in lining up a central midfielder is tantamount to negligence. Really think we must be absolutely skint or run by people with very little experience of how transfers work. 

What about the link we had to Jovane Cabral a few days ago.? A winger rather than a CM but I guess nothing in it (or nothing until Boufal moves on)? Just a week to go in the transfer window and whilst we might like to dress it up as an opportunity to try to grab a few players we might not normally have the chance to sign, it does still feel like we're once again fiddling whilst Rome burns. If we do want up to 3 in before Monday's window closes, we are going to have show a bit more urgency...

51 minutes ago, Dusic said:

From what Dan Sheldon said on TSP it sounds like Sangare was the permanent signing we were hoping to make.

TBH, it didnt sound like he knew a great deal about anything - just idle speculation.

Whether or not we were in for Sangare, the whole thing is a complete joke. As has been said, with a week to go of the window and no replacement for PEH is pathetic. 

4 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

What about the link we had to Jovane Cabral a few days ago.? A winger rather than a CM but I guess nothing in it (or nothing until Boufal moves on)? Just a week to go in the transfer window and whilst we might like to dress it up as an opportunity to try to grab a few players we might not normally have the chance to sign, it does still feel like we're once again fiddling whilst Rome burns. If we do want up to 3 in before Monday's window closes, we are going to have show a bit more urgency...

He played 30 odd minuted for Sporting yesterday, scored and then went off injured (dont know how bad). 

18 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I suppose we should be used to this vacillation  during successive transfer windows....but I genuinely hoped that this time it would be different....decisive actions....but no.....same old same old....

Presumably it is a case of no ££££, rather than ineptitude. Whether that is due to the crazy historic signings, or linked to a takeover.

It's poor though, whatever the reason.  Wonder how Ralph will be if we don't bring in the 2-3 players he needs.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

im not really surprised but does this guy really have any inside contacts that are likely to be accurate or is he just making an intelligent assumption? #clutchingstraws

One player that I'm surprised that we haven't been linked with is Lerma from Bournemouth. His first season in the Premiership was very successful although his performances seemed to drop last season.  He has premiership experience, is a defensive midfielder, plays the high press and is probably available due to their relegation.  I cannot see any rumours linking him to any other team in the last week. Maybe Bournemouth are asking too much, hence the absence of clear suitors, but in the absence of anyone else he would be the type of individual we could be looking at (particularly as we are getting pretty desperate for a DM). 

He wouldn't be my first choice, but seems a logical possibility. 

11 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

One player that I'm surprised that we haven't been linked with is Lerma from Bournemouth. His first season in the Premiership was very successful although his performances seemed to drop last season.  He has premiership experience, is a defensive midfielder, plays the high press and is probably available due to their relegation.  I cannot see any rumours linking him to any other team in the last week. Maybe Bournemouth are asking too much, hence the absence of clear suitors, but in the absence of anyone else he would be the type of individual we could be looking at (particularly as we are getting pretty desperate for a DM). 

He wouldn't be my first choice, but seems a logical possibility. 

I think the problem with that one is his cost. He's still got a few years on his contract, Bournemouth paid £25m for him. They will want at least that amount back for him and we wouldn't be able to get close to even half of that.

We're struggling to raise funds for anything over 7-8m IMO. Which puts us out of the market for pretty much anyone unless it's a loan, with small loan fee's and big wage contributions from the parent club.

Edited by S-Clarke

15 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

All we know is what Ralph has told us.

Semmens has said we don’t need to sell before buying.

It still seems like a shit show though, but you never know.

So if we summarise it...

This is what Ralph has been quoted as saying:

Asked if he would be happy to go into the rest of the season with the squad he currently has available, Hasenhuttl said: "No, I wouldn’t. But I know that we will get players in.

"Either way I think we know we need a few, one or two players minimum we must get, maybe three."

Semmens has been quoted as saying we don't need to sell before we buy.

So what is the issue here...?

If we fail Ralph (Again...) then I wouldn't blame the guy for walking. He has never been backed here, he must be so frustrated. It could be an exciting week or it could be a week of pure frustration. Whilst we have a decent 11, if we were to lose 1 or 2 out of that long term, we are absolutely dead.

Edited by S-Clarke

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So what is the issue here...?

The players we want aren't available at the right price? 

The players we want the clubs that own them have to get a replacement first?

The thing is we don't really know, very rarely do we know about a signing a long term beforehand, the club seems very covert in what its doing and often many of the rumours we are linked to are complete rubbish. 

The Semmens interview was done with the club assuming that fans would be partially back in in October. Since last week, that has changed to the strong possibility that no fans will be in at all this season. That means all season ticket money is to be refunded, no week to week ticket income, fall in TV income due to revised game schedule, reduction in overseas TV rights, reduction in last years TV payment due to failure to complete fixtures on time, reduction in overseas income for failure to complete fixtures last season, failure of Chinese TV deal, and in Saints case reduction in sponsorship income and replacing the shirts. Add to this the list of shit players we cant sell and yeah Id say we don't have much money.

15 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

The players we want aren't available at the right price? 

The players we want the clubs that own them have to get a replacement first?

The thing is we don't really know, very rarely do we know about a signing a long term beforehand, the club seems very covert in what its doing and often many of the rumours we are linked to are complete rubbish. 

The argument is that we've had 1 year to source replacements for Hoj, some were even calling for another midfielder last summer.

I get that the budget has probably changed from where we were last year, but planning should have also included alternatives at different price ranges. My worry is that the budget has changed to less than £10m, not much you can get for that. This puts us in a very, very dangerous position in terms of league survival. We are pretty much relying on our core 11 to be fit all year.

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Interesting dig from PSV there! I think that's pretty clear we didn't get our shit in line for this one!

Don't know anything about him to be honest, but it's another kick in the balls to our transfer plans. I wonder if this was who Ralph was referring to as our 'first targets we missed out on' - or was that more Mckennie?

Edited by S-Clarke