Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

"we tried to bring players in but the market is difficult,  We have a very good squad, it's not easy to bring players in at the level we need to improve the squad."

We've been here before......

That's been the line for so many recent windows, and slowly the level of quality will drop...and drop....and before you know it, Romeu and Stephens will become key players. Oh wait.

I don’t really get the logic behind what some of you are thinking. Why would failing to land any of your transfer target because you’re skint and making ridiculous lowball offers be good PR for the club? I don’t get what the club is supposed to gain from such a strategy.

Just looks like click bait, column filling to me.

• Like 2

https://www.footballinsider247.com/southampton-working-on-beating-west-brom-to-celtic-ace/

Given how many times we have been linked to Ntcham there must be something in it.

Fits our price/wage form as well.

His Agent must be keen to get him a move.

Not sure he is right for us though as seemingly better on the ball than off it...

Edited by Dusic

52 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

It’s infuriating.  The club do it all the time.  It’s almost lying.

The thing is, as fans we're too nice, you wouldn't get any other clubs' fans being so accepting, it almost feels like we accept of the club cuckolding us.  As much as west ham fans are dislikeable, they wouldn't be sat around agreeing with the clubs lack of ambition, saying well we are trying to be run sustainably.

As fans we should be making it as uncomfortable as possible for the owners to get away with the continual lack of investment, what other premier league teams have to sell before they buy?

Any potential owners, now or in the future should know that the fans won't accept a lack of investment from them, at least this may help chancers like Gao understand they can't just buy us to run sustainably (read not investing at all)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t really get the logic behind what some of you are thinking. Why would failing to land any of your transfer target because you’re skint and making ridiculous lowball offers be good PR for the club? I don’t get what the club is supposed to gain from such a strategy.

Just looks like click bait, column filling to me.

So after a big defeat when fans are kicking off on social media about lack of players etc.  Suddenly a load of stories appear stating how we're in for this player or that quieting down the dissenting voices, then after a week or 2 nothing happens, or stories of bids rejected, players going elsewhere.  The club get some loans in telling us all how hard it is to get deals over the line.  When the intention all along was for loans.

20 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

No. Did posting the picture make you "feel big"?

Did I take the piss with the picture or comment? Did it make me feel big? No, because I am content within myself and don`t feel the need to "big myself up" by posting something on the internet to make me look like a "concerned" human being........ don't tell me that you have never walked down the street, seen someone dressed ridiculously, or with an "unusual" hairstyle and thought to yourself "what a knob".

2 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

So after a big defeat when fans are kicking off on social media about lack of players etc.  Suddenly a load of stories appear stating how we're in for this player or that quieting down the dissenting voices, then after a week or 2 nothing happens, or stories of bids rejected, players going elsewhere.  The club get some loans in telling us all how hard it is to get deals over the line.  When the intention all along was for loans.

To what end? How does consistently underperforming on the pitch and making feeble attempts to resolve the situation with underwhelming signings make good PR for the club. It’s like buying your wife some second hand golf clubs for your anniversary and telling her you tried to buy a diamond necklace... every year. 

Stories appear in the media and SM because it’s the transfer window and it’s obvious we need signings. If anything the media probably know we’re desperate as fans and feed us hope to make us click on their articles.

• Like 1

So who are you hoping to get in what would make it a successful window.

That lad at Everton looks ok for a loan I was hoping for a proper hojiberg replacement though someone who can break up the play command midfield and setup attacking plays. 

A winger would also be good someone to compete with Redmond.

And wishful thinking another mobile centre back with some pace.

41 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

To what end? How does consistently underperforming on the pitch and making feeble attempts to resolve the situation with underwhelming signings make good PR for the club. It’s like buying your wife some second hand golf clubs for your anniversary and telling her you tried to buy a diamond necklace... every year. 

Stories appear in the media and SM because it’s the transfer window and it’s obvious we need signings. If anything the media probably know we’re desperate as fans and feed us hope to make us click on their articles.

You'll have to ask the club that pal, but it's a tactic they've used in the past. When we were awful and managed to sell Van Dijk before the transfer window opened we had 3 weeks of being linked to high profile players, ended up with Carillo at the end of the window with the club giving themselves a round of applause for getting such a difficult to do deal over the line. Then of course there was last January, Ralph saying for weeks we needed to do something in the transfer market, quite a few links then when it was obvious nothing was going to happen the cheerleaders claiming Ralph when Ralph said we needed to make signings what he actually meant was he was happy with the squad and that we couldn't afford to sign anyone anyway. Lets also not forget those pesky agents fees and bonuses that we have to stump up for that no one else does, now we appear to be the only club in the UK that is affected by Covid. 

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

LOL, nope, that pretty much shows exactly what I am talking about.

8 PL clubs have a net spend of less than £20 million per season, which means they all pretty much need to sell to buy and aren't getting significant outside investment, i.e are being run sustainably. as I said. 

Only about 3 in that entire list can spend over £50 million a season, but people like you bleat that we are the only club, when your own figures show that is nonsense. 

8 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

8 PL clubs have a net spend of less than £20 million per season, which means they all pretty much need to sell to buy and aren't getting significant outside investment, i.e are being run sustainably. as I said. 

Only about 3 in that entire list can spend over £50 million a season, but people like you bleat that we are the only club, when your own figures show that is nonsense. 

LOL. You do the difference between a positive net spend and negative one dont you pal? Of course every club sells players, the difference is not every club has to sell one player to buy another one. Of all those clubs listed, excluding Norwich as they're no longer in the PL, we've made a profit from transfers yet dont have a pot to p!ss in, the next 3 clubs have spent between £40-£56m more than they've earnt from sales. Even tight arse hated by the fans MIke Ashley has spent £107m more than they've brought in. So unfortunately for you the facts seem to back up my "bleating" but then we know from past experience with you you dont like facts too much.

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Exactly this. The club putting out stories linking us to good players only for us to sign some donkey makes zero sense. 

None of the conspiracy theorists will ever be able to answer your question. 

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

LOL. You do the difference between a positive net spend and negative one dont you pal? Of course every club sells players, the difference is not every club has to sell one player to buy another one. Of all those clubs listed, excluding Norwich as they're no longer in the PL, we've made a profit from transfers yet dont have a pot to p!ss in, the next 3 clubs have spent between £40-£56m more than they've earnt from sales. Even tight arse hated by the fans MIke Ashley has spent £107m more than they've brought in. So unfortunately for you the facts seem to back up my "bleating" but then we know from past experience with you you dont like facts too much.

You never seem to grasp that what other clubs do, or can afford to do, is irrelevant to what we can do or afford to do. It's like saying that if a wealthy bloke from Chilworth can buy a lamborghini, that the minimum wage bloke from elsewhere shouldn't have to make do with borrowing his mates old Kia. We're skint Del, it ain't complicated. 

Well, nothing suggests this window will be different from the previous 4 or 5 windows for us. Atleast ralph isn't bashing his own club about the apparent difficulties of working for penny pinching employers like sean dyche currently is ( bbc), or that would add a very reallistic but devastating layer to current mood of the fans.

44 minutes ago, egg said:

You never seem to grasp that what other clubs do, or can afford to do, is irrelevant to what we can do or afford to do. It's like saying that if a wealthy bloke from Chilworth can buy a lamborghini, that the minimum wage bloke from elsewhere shouldn't have to make do with borrowing his mates old Kia. We're skint Del, it ain't complicated. 

I grasp it alright, however it's terrible analogy. It's more like saying the wealthy bloke from Manchester can buy a lamborghini, the moderately wealthy bloke from the midlands can buy an Audi, but the bloke with virtually the same income as the Audi guy has to sell his Citreon for a profit before he can buy a skoda. 

The fact is that many of the clubs who have spent more than £50m and in some case near on £100m more than they've earnt have the same if not less income than us and they have those all important bonuses and agents fees to pay out too, we're skint, but we shouldn't be.

Edited by Turkish

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I grasp it alright, however it's terrible analogy. It's more like saying the wealthy bloke from Manchester can buy a lamborghini, the moderately wealthy bloke from the midlands can buy an Audi, but the bloke with virtually the same income as the Audi guy has to sell his Citreon for a profit before he can buy a skoda. 

The fact is that many of the clubs who have spent more than £50m and in some case near on £100m more than they've earnt have the same if not less income than us and they have those all important bonuses and agents fees to pay out too, we're skint, but we shouldn't be.

You say that you grasp it, but then demonstrate that you don't or choose not to.

I suspect that you've seen the accounts. It's obvious from them why we had to borrow. We've then had covid and sponsorship issues.  

We spend more than we earn. We therefore need capital. If Gao has it, he won't inject is as he won't see it back. That's why we have to sell our Citroen to buy a Skoda. If the bloke from the midlands has a line of credit or a wealthy uncle willing to lend him a few quid, of course he can buy his Audi, but we ain't that bloke and just cos he can have an Audi, it doesn't mean that we can afford one.

You keep on about agents fees and bonuses. Of course every club has to pay them. For some clubs they're easily affordable and don't get in the way of spending. For skint clubs, like us, they do.

44 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s more like saying the Asian-Manc can buy a Lamborghini because his uncle happens to be a Sheikh, the blonde woman from the midlands with fake boobs can afford an Audi, because she married a hedge fund manager and the guy from Southampton with 3 messy divorces and 4 lots of child support to pay has to sell a Citroen to buy a Skoda.

The bloke with the Skoda will also be the only one saying his council tax bill is stopping him buying other stuff, even though the other two both have to pay the same bill each month.

• Like 1

Just look at the background of 'the athletic' yet another outfit wanting to pillage money out of sports fans.

Gossip from unprofessional football agents will be there main supply line.

Im so unimpressed that i had a word in the shell of a club director highlghting that i want to see fans getting news first and not paywall scumbags like the athletic. 

The same goes for Sky sports and the god awful talksport.

Edited by SaintsLoyal

2 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Just look at the background of 'the athletic' yet another outfit wanting to pillage money out of sports fans.

Im so unimpressed that i had a word in the shell of a club director highlghting that i want to see fans getting news first and not paywall scumbags. 

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Im so unimpressed that i had a word in the shell of a club director highlghting that i want to see fans getting news first and not paywall scumbags like the athletic. 

Can't please everybody but for me The Athletic is a really good subscription service offering excellent value. No idea how much newspapers cost nowadays but The Athletic currently offering far superior content for £1 a month over 12months. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Since taking charge, RH has only been able to sign four players permanently - Adams, Djenepo, KWP and Salisu. To put this into perspective, Mark Hughes made four permanent signings in his one and only summer here.

Wolves, who you're quite rightly saying have also sold players this summer have brought in five senior players just this month alone and had a much better squad than ours last season.

But, keep arguing that we're being ran like every other club in the league and that our owners are fine. It's West Ham and Newcastle who are the real sufferers. They both made £40m striker signings amongst other incomings last summer, the poor sods!

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

Since taking charge, RH has only been able to sign four players permanently - Adams, Djenepo, KWP and Salisu. To put this into perspective, Mark Hughes made four permanent signings in his one and only summer here.

Wolves, who you're quite rightly saying have also sold players this summer have brought in five senior players just this month alone and had a much better squad than ours last season.

But, keep arguing that we're being ran like every other club in the league and that our owners are fine. It's West Ham and Newcastle who are the real sufferers. They both made £40m striker signings amongst other incomings last summer, the poor sods!

Perhaps we are still suffering from the sh1te that Hughes bought????

Not many clubs backed so many managers with a load of duff signings over such a short period of time

3 hours ago, lethal.lee69 said:

Can't please everybody but for me The Athletic is a really good subscription service offering excellent value. No idea how much newspapers cost nowadays but The Athletic currently offering far superior content for £1 a month over 12months. 

Agree. Good articles and in depth stuff on tactics you can’t get anywhere else, from top writers. Really enjoying. 

59 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Perhaps we are still suffering from the sh1te that Hughes bought????

Not many clubs backed so many managers with a load of duff signings over such a short period of time

The two £40m striker signings I mentioned  have both proven to be duffs, probably on good wages too. Newcastle have still made some solid signings this summer in Wilson, Hendrick and Lewis (Not too sure on Fraser, seems like he had one purple patch and nothing before, or after). While, West Ham have reportedly made a £36m bid for Wesley Fofana today. 

I’m not having a go, but bad signings on high wages that can’t be sold also aren’t exclusive to Saints and is just another excuse that many, including myself before have accepted for why we aren’t spending money. When on the outside it just looks like Gao won’t put any money in and we’re running on Championship level budgets for as long as he remains in charge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Danny Ings signed permanently under Hasenhuttl.

I don't think you can class Ings as a Hasenhuttl signing, he was brought in under Hughes on a loan with a full obligation to buy. He was signing him no matter what!

The 4 real signings he's had input into are Moussa, KWP, Salisu and Adams. 

7 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Did I take the piss with the picture or comment? Did it make me feel big? No, because I am content within myself and don`t feel the need to "big myself up" by posting something on the internet to make me look like a "concerned" human being........ don't tell me that you have never walked down the street, seen someone dressed ridiculously, or with an "unusual" hairstyle and thought to yourself "what a knob".

My last post on the subject but you missed my reference completely...  you assumed I was “offended” when I wasn’t at all so I assumed you “felt big” in response. 

As to your second point, yes of course I look at how people dress and behave and think “what a knob”, but I don’t feel the need to sneer at them just because they’re different

24 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

The two £40m striker signings I mentioned  have both proven to be duffs, probably on good wages too. Newcastle have still made some solid signings this summer in Wilson, Hendrick and Lewis (Not too sure on Fraser, seems like he had one purple patch and nothing before, or after). While, West Ham have reportedly made a £36m bid for Wesley Fofana today. 

I’m not having a go, but bad signings on high wages that can’t be sold also aren’t exclusive to Saints and is just another excuse that many, including myself before have accepted for why we aren’t spending money. When on the outside it just looks like Gao won’t put any money in and we’re running on Championship level budgets for as long as he remains in charge. 

Why should we expect our owner to waste his money on buying players? It's not like he's a life long saints fan. He's clearly bought the club as an investment in the basis that football clubs appreciate in value at a rate that is out of kilter with the real world. He's trying to sell and isn't going to throw any money away at this point and who can blame him?

As depressing as it is watching other clubs spend loss more, unfortunately the reality is that we don't generate the same commercial revenues as a lot of other clubs and our owner isn't going to dip into his pockets.

What we can do is spend money wisely, but unfortunately we've not done that either and until we deal with the consequences of overpaid bad signings things aren't going to improve unless someone with deep pockets comes along and buys the club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Why should we expect our owner to waste his money on buying players? It's not like he's a life long saints fan. He's clearly bought the club as an investment in the basis that football clubs appreciate in value at a rate that is out of kilter with the real world. He's trying to sell and isn't going to throw any money away at this point and who can blame him?

As depressing as it is watching other clubs spend loss more, unfortunately the reality is that we don't generate the same commercial revenues as a lot of other clubs and our owner isn't going to dip into his pockets.

What we can do is spend money wisely, but unfortunately we've not done that either and until we deal with the consequences of overpaid bad signings things aren't going to improve unless someone with deep pockets comes along and buys the club.

Absolutely. Our transfers have largely been a disaster since VVD was sold and no sensible business man would look at the disaster that was Carillo, Hoedt, Lemina, Boufal etc and decide to throw £100m at more players. I suspect Gao wants out more than we want him out. 

11 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Article contains this :

Weston McKennie snubbed Southampton for the lure of Juventus, while Dejan Ljubicic opted to stay at Rapid Vienna after being handed the captain’s armband.

Somehow can't see staying in Austria for a captain's armband in preference to the lure of EPL ...So suspect the entire article is bollocks.

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

This can’t be true, we are the only club that has made bad signings. No other club has expensive signings on big wages that they can’t sell. Along with them agents fees and bonuses plus us being the only club that’s lost income due to coronavirus, it’s no wonder we need to sell anyone not nailed down again to give us even a passable replacement for our captain we sold. 

Wilfried Ndidi might be out for 12 weeks so unlikely they would sell Choudhury I would think.

Davies getting absolutely slated on Twitter by Everton fans for his performance tonight.

Villa after Barkley or RLC on loan, as want a new #8 (neither of these options for us IMO as not a #6 and wages too high even for a loan).

Edited by Dusic

18.3 million bid accepted for Jovane Cabral he is a winger and looks quality....

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSaintCentre/status/1308357608961708032

1) Surely this can't be true we are skint.....

2) Why are we signing a winger and not a hojberg replacement? 

3) Will Davies play the Hojberg role?

4) Do already have new owners instructing us to sign targets now? Or has Gao found wallet?

We are also linked to Florentino Luis....

wtf is going on lol 

8 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Cross Luis off the list, off to Monaco on loan.

This was the one we needed. Couldn't we have offered more than a million quid? I know it's down to the player, but bloody hell Saints. WTF is going on? Struggling to see where the next point is coming from.

I'm sure we will get a cm in before the end of the window but it is frustrating that we always leave these positions we are most in need of till the last minute. We then normally wait a few weeks before they are ready to start and suddenly they will have missed a big chunk of the start of the season. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DT said:

This was the one we needed. Couldn't we have offered more than a million quid? I know it's down to the player, but bloody hell Saints. WTF is going on? Struggling to see where the next point is coming from.

i would say we are more than capable of getting a point this weekend bearing in mind its the same side that went 7 games unbeaten a few weeks back. #bedwetter

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Cross Luis off the list, off to Monaco on loan.

Could we really not compete with that? £1.5m to a team that finished 9th in a farmer's league and aren't in European competition.

I appreciate Monaco's probably nicer at this time of year than Ocean Village, but still...

10 hours ago, ally_uk said:

18.3 million bid accepted for Jovane Cabral he is a winger and looks quality....

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSaintCentre/status/1308357608961708032

1) Surely this can't be true we are skint.....

2) Why are we signing a winger and not a hojberg replacement? 

3) Will Davies play the Hojberg role?

4) Do already have new owners instructing us to sign targets now? Or has Gao found wallet?

We are also linked to Florentino Luis....

wtf is going on lol 

May be true. More likely false like 95% of rumours made up as clickbait or by agents after a payday.

We do need an AM if Boufal is off. More a #10 playmaker to challenge Armstrong rather than another Boufal.

But also a Hojbjerg replacement: box to box MF who can press, tackle, break up and recycle play and see a pass.

But priority for Ralph is always players who will work hard "against the ball" and give everything for the team.

31 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

i would say we are more than capable of getting a point this weekend bearing in mind its the same side that went 7 games unbeaten a few weeks back. #bedwetter

Really hope you're right #abitdeluded

• Like 1

Cabral is certainly the sort of addition we need on the flanks. Out of Redmond and Moussa, that's it for our wide players - and we couldn't count on Moussa for any of last season really. This will give Redmond a bit of competition if it happens, he's had it too easy.

I thought our transfer fee use would be the other way around, spend the £££ on a midfielder and maybe a loan for a winger. But we'll see.

• Like 1