Summer 2020 transfer business

1 minute ago, Mariosbarnet said:

With Dan Sheldon suggesting we will likely be looking at loans this could be interesting!

I have read several reports lately that Chelsea could be open to loaning out Ruben Loftus Cheek and Callum Hudson Odoi. Both would be exciting additions all be it only for one season.

Alex Oxlade Chamberlain looks to have slipped down the pecking order with the arrival of Thiago. Yes I red the report today saying that he wants to stay but with his recent injury problems, could he be open to a loan to a club playing a similar style to help get his career back on track?

These would be excellent options to tie us over until next season when a few contracts have expired and we are in a stronger position to secure a much more solid target.

Career back on track? He played over 40 times for one of the best sides in the world last year 😂

7 minutes ago, saint97 said:

Career back on track? He played over 40 times for one of the best sides in the world last year 😂

I mean that he’s been out a long time with Injury & seems to have lost his place in the side. Stand by the fact he would be a great signing

17 minutes ago, Mariosbarnet said:

With Dan Sheldon suggesting we will likely be looking at loans this could be interesting!

I have read several reports lately that Chelsea could be open to loaning out Ruben Loftus Cheek and Callum Hudson Odoi. Both would be exciting additions all be it only for one season.

Alex Oxlade Chamberlain looks to have slipped down the pecking order with the arrival of Thiago. Yes I red the report today saying that he wants to stay but with his recent injury problems, could he be open to a loan to a club playing a similar style to help get his career back on track?

These would be excellent options to tie us over until next season when a few contracts have expired and we are in a stronger position to secure a much more solid target.

Hudson-Odoi has been pursued by Bayern for about 18 months now, he will not be joining us. RLC more realistic but not the kind of player we need imo

7 hours ago, Mariosbarnet said:

I mean that he’s been out a long time with Injury & seems to have lost his place in the side. Stand by the fact he would be a great signing

ox consistently gets picked to play in some of the biggest games, especially champions league. in no way does his career need to get back on track or will he leave on loan....

echo the comments about davies. not the type of midfielder we need to play alongside jwp. we need energy and tackles ffs

23 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Supposedly the Barca president have now blocked it. 

Done deal , Suarez took pay cut from 30 to 15m euros , transfer fee 4m euros . Barca had blocked it but backed down when Suarez said he would he would go to the press .

Edited by East Kent Saint
Update
22 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Nice to have an actual link...sounds like he'd be a Boufal replacement, assuming hes off. Not sure where we're getting the money to fund that though...

Not a CM though.

Slightly concerning that his highlight reel consists of him giving the ball away...A LOT.

Interesting that he wouldn't be our first Cape Verdean player! I bet there are a lot of nationalities more populous than that which we've not had two of...

Sounds interesting though. We need a player to come in and be miraculously very good. I sort of thought we were getting that with Djenepo...

The whole transfer window is going to come down to a game of poker in the next two weeks. With no fans in stadiums until at least March, reduced TV income from overseas, reduced income from UK broadcasters and no guarantee that any of these will return to pre Covid levels, clubs like Everton, with that list of midfielders not getting a game, will have to reduce their wage bills. They will have to loan players, or try and sell in a depressed market.

This doesn't make our position any better, but I think there are some clubs in a worse situation than us. Its ok to make losses if you have a rich owner who will subsidise the cost, but in the current environment, even multi billionaires might be getting slightly worried about their future income stream from football.

42 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

oh what a surprise https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/09/22/report-southampton-must-pay-record-fee-for-25m-target-saints-have-bid-rejected/

What did we do offer £10m or something ridiculous knowing full well it would be rejected, gut a message out to fans that we're looking for players though, even though we're not offering serious money.

We are the low balling experts.

Not sure I can take that article serious tho when it states that Hojbjerg was making things 'tick' for Spurs against us. He was non existent in the first half and played no part in Kane/Son running riot against us

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

oh what a surprise https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/09/22/report-southampton-must-pay-record-fee-for-25m-target-saints-have-bid-rejected/

What did we do offer £10m or something ridiculous knowing full well it would be rejected, gut a message out to fans that we're looking for players though, even though we're not offering serious money.

How comes, according to our fans, every rumour has to be either leaked by the club for PR reasons or by an agent to build up interest in a player/force a move. The majority of rumours are papers filling space or websites looking for clickbait to gain revenue.

I'll be honest I'm not sure where the rumour started but HITC is definitely in the clickbait category for me.

54 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

It’s infuriating.  The club do it all the time.  It’s almost lying.

38 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

"we tried to bring players in but the market is difficult,  We have a very good squad, it's not easy to bring players in at the level we need to improve the squad."

We've been here before......

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

"we tried to bring players in but the market is difficult,  We have a very good squad, it's not easy to bring players in at the level we need to improve the squad."

We've been here before......

That's been the line for so many recent windows, and slowly the level of quality will drop...and drop....and before you know it, Romeu and Stephens will become key players. Oh wait.

I don’t really get the logic behind what some of you are thinking. Why would failing to land any of your transfer target because you’re skint and making ridiculous lowball offers be good PR for the club? I don’t get what the club is supposed to gain from such a strategy.

Just looks like click bait, column filling to me.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

The thing is, as fans we're too nice, you wouldn't get any other clubs' fans being so accepting, it almost feels like we accept of the club cuckolding us.  As much as west ham fans are dislikeable, they wouldn't be sat around agreeing with the clubs lack of ambition, saying well we are trying to be run sustainably.

As fans we should be making it as uncomfortable as possible for the owners to get away with the continual lack of investment, what other premier league teams have to sell before they buy?

Any potential owners, now or in the future should know that the fans won't accept a lack of investment from them, at least this may help chancers like Gao understand they can't just buy us to run sustainably (read not investing at all)

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t really get the logic behind what some of you are thinking. Why would failing to land any of your transfer target because you’re skint and making ridiculous lowball offers be good PR for the club? I don’t get what the club is supposed to gain from such a strategy.

Just looks like click bait, column filling to me.

So after a big defeat when fans are kicking off on social media about lack of players etc.  Suddenly a load of stories appear stating how we're in for this player or that quieting down the dissenting voices, then after a week or 2 nothing happens, or stories of bids rejected, players going elsewhere.  The club get some loans in telling us all how hard it is to get deals over the line.  When the intention all along was for loans.

20 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

No. Did posting the picture make you "feel big"?

Did I take the piss with the picture or comment? Did it make me feel big? No, because I am content within myself and don`t feel the need to "big myself up" by posting something on the internet to make me look like a "concerned" human being........ don't tell me that you have never walked down the street, seen someone dressed ridiculously, or with an "unusual" hairstyle and thought to yourself "what a knob".

2 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

So after a big defeat when fans are kicking off on social media about lack of players etc.  Suddenly a load of stories appear stating how we're in for this player or that quieting down the dissenting voices, then after a week or 2 nothing happens, or stories of bids rejected, players going elsewhere.  The club get some loans in telling us all how hard it is to get deals over the line.  When the intention all along was for loans.

To what end? How does consistently underperforming on the pitch and making feeble attempts to resolve the situation with underwhelming signings make good PR for the club. It’s like buying your wife some second hand golf clubs for your anniversary and telling her you tried to buy a diamond necklace... every year. 

Stories appear in the media and SM because it’s the transfer window and it’s obvious we need signings. If anything the media probably know we’re desperate as fans and feed us hope to make us click on their articles.

• Like 1

So who are you hoping to get in what would make it a successful window.

That lad at Everton looks ok for a loan I was hoping for a proper hojiberg replacement though someone who can break up the play command midfield and setup attacking plays. 

A winger would also be good someone to compete with Redmond.

And wishful thinking another mobile centre back with some pace.

41 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

To what end? How does consistently underperforming on the pitch and making feeble attempts to resolve the situation with underwhelming signings make good PR for the club. It’s like buying your wife some second hand golf clubs for your anniversary and telling her you tried to buy a diamond necklace... every year. 

Stories appear in the media and SM because it’s the transfer window and it’s obvious we need signings. If anything the media probably know we’re desperate as fans and feed us hope to make us click on their articles.

You'll have to ask the club that pal, but it's a tactic they've used in the past. When we were awful and managed to sell Van Dijk before the transfer window opened we had 3 weeks of being linked to high profile players, ended up with Carillo at the end of the window with the club giving themselves a round of applause for getting such a difficult to do deal over the line. Then of course there was last January, Ralph saying for weeks we needed to do something in the transfer market, quite a few links then when it was obvious nothing was going to happen the cheerleaders claiming Ralph when Ralph said we needed to make signings what he actually meant was he was happy with the squad and that we couldn't afford to sign anyone anyway. Lets also not forget those pesky agents fees and bonuses that we have to stump up for that no one else does, now we appear to be the only club in the UK that is affected by Covid. 

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

LOL, nope, that pretty much shows exactly what I am talking about.

8 PL clubs have a net spend of less than £20 million per season, which means they all pretty much need to sell to buy and aren't getting significant outside investment, i.e are being run sustainably. as I said. 

Only about 3 in that entire list can spend over £50 million a season, but people like you bleat that we are the only club, when your own figures show that is nonsense. 

8 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

8 PL clubs have a net spend of less than £20 million per season, which means they all pretty much need to sell to buy and aren't getting significant outside investment, i.e are being run sustainably. as I said. 

Only about 3 in that entire list can spend over £50 million a season, but people like you bleat that we are the only club, when your own figures show that is nonsense. 

LOL. You do the difference between a positive net spend and negative one dont you pal? Of course every club sells players, the difference is not every club has to sell one player to buy another one. Of all those clubs listed, excluding Norwich as they're no longer in the PL, we've made a profit from transfers yet dont have a pot to p!ss in, the next 3 clubs have spent between £40-£56m more than they've earnt from sales. Even tight arse hated by the fans MIke Ashley has spent £107m more than they've brought in. So unfortunately for you the facts seem to back up my "bleating" but then we know from past experience with you you dont like facts too much.

Edited by Turkish
1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Exactly this. The club putting out stories linking us to good players only for us to sign some donkey makes zero sense. 

None of the conspiracy theorists will ever be able to answer your question. 

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

LOL. You do the difference between a positive net spend and negative one dont you pal? Of course every club sells players, the difference is not every club has to sell one player to buy another one. Of all those clubs listed, excluding Norwich as they're no longer in the PL, we've made a profit from transfers yet dont have a pot to p!ss in, the next 3 clubs have spent between £40-£56m more than they've earnt from sales. Even tight arse hated by the fans MIke Ashley has spent £107m more than they've brought in. So unfortunately for you the facts seem to back up my "bleating" but then we know from past experience with you you dont like facts too much.

You never seem to grasp that what other clubs do, or can afford to do, is irrelevant to what we can do or afford to do. It's like saying that if a wealthy bloke from Chilworth can buy a lamborghini, that the minimum wage bloke from elsewhere shouldn't have to make do with borrowing his mates old Kia. We're skint Del, it ain't complicated. 

Well, nothing suggests this window will be different from the previous 4 or 5 windows for us. Atleast ralph isn't bashing his own club about the apparent difficulties of working for penny pinching employers like sean dyche currently is ( bbc), or that would add a very reallistic but devastating layer to current mood of the fans.

44 minutes ago, egg said:

You never seem to grasp that what other clubs do, or can afford to do, is irrelevant to what we can do or afford to do. It's like saying that if a wealthy bloke from Chilworth can buy a lamborghini, that the minimum wage bloke from elsewhere shouldn't have to make do with borrowing his mates old Kia. We're skint Del, it ain't complicated. 

I grasp it alright, however it's terrible analogy. It's more like saying the wealthy bloke from Manchester can buy a lamborghini, the moderately wealthy bloke from the midlands can buy an Audi, but the bloke with virtually the same income as the Audi guy has to sell his Citreon for a profit before he can buy a skoda. 

The fact is that many of the clubs who have spent more than £50m and in some case near on £100m more than they've earnt have the same if not less income than us and they have those all important bonuses and agents fees to pay out too, we're skint, but we shouldn't be.

Edited by Turkish
11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I grasp it alright, however it's terrible analogy. It's more like saying the wealthy bloke from Manchester can buy a lamborghini, the moderately wealthy bloke from the midlands can buy an Audi, but the bloke with virtually the same income as the Audi guy has to sell his Citreon for a profit before he can buy a skoda. 

The fact is that many of the clubs who have spent more than £50m and in some case near on £100m more than they've earnt have the same if not less income than us and they have those all important bonuses and agents fees to pay out too, we're skint, but we shouldn't be.

You say that you grasp it, but then demonstrate that you don't or choose not to.

I suspect that you've seen the accounts. It's obvious from them why we had to borrow. We've then had covid and sponsorship issues.  

We spend more than we earn. We therefore need capital. If Gao has it, he won't inject is as he won't see it back. That's why we have to sell our Citroen to buy a Skoda. If the bloke from the midlands has a line of credit or a wealthy uncle willing to lend him a few quid, of course he can buy his Audi, but we ain't that bloke and just cos he can have an Audi, it doesn't mean that we can afford one.

You keep on about agents fees and bonuses. Of course every club has to pay them. For some clubs they're easily affordable and don't get in the way of spending. For skint clubs, like us, they do.

44 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s more like saying the Asian-Manc can buy a Lamborghini because his uncle happens to be a Sheikh, the blonde woman from the midlands with fake boobs can afford an Audi, because she married a hedge fund manager and the guy from Southampton with 3 messy divorces and 4 lots of child support to pay has to sell a Citroen to buy a Skoda.

The bloke with the Skoda will also be the only one saying his council tax bill is stopping him buying other stuff, even though the other two both have to pay the same bill each month.

• Like 1

Just look at the background of 'the athletic' yet another outfit wanting to pillage money out of sports fans.

Gossip from unprofessional football agents will be there main supply line.

Im so unimpressed that i had a word in the shell of a club director highlghting that i want to see fans getting news first and not paywall scumbags like the athletic. 

The same goes for Sky sports and the god awful talksport.

Edited by SaintsLoyal
2 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Just look at the background of 'the athletic' yet another outfit wanting to pillage money out of sports fans.

Im so unimpressed that i had a word in the shell of a club director highlghting that i want to see fans getting news first and not paywall scumbags. 

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Im so unimpressed that i had a word in the shell of a club director highlghting that i want to see fans getting news first and not paywall scumbags like the athletic. 

Can't please everybody but for me The Athletic is a really good subscription service offering excellent value. No idea how much newspapers cost nowadays but The Athletic currently offering far superior content for £1 a month over 12months. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Since taking charge, RH has only been able to sign four players permanently - Adams, Djenepo, KWP and Salisu. To put this into perspective, Mark Hughes made four permanent signings in his one and only summer here.

Wolves, who you're quite rightly saying have also sold players this summer have brought in five senior players just this month alone and had a much better squad than ours last season.

But, keep arguing that we're being ran like every other club in the league and that our owners are fine. It's West Ham and Newcastle who are the real sufferers. They both made £40m striker signings amongst other incomings last summer, the poor sods!

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

Since taking charge, RH has only been able to sign four players permanently - Adams, Djenepo, KWP and Salisu. To put this into perspective, Mark Hughes made four permanent signings in his one and only summer here.

Wolves, who you're quite rightly saying have also sold players this summer have brought in five senior players just this month alone and had a much better squad than ours last season.

But, keep arguing that we're being ran like every other club in the league and that our owners are fine. It's West Ham and Newcastle who are the real sufferers. They both made £40m striker signings amongst other incomings last summer, the poor sods!

Perhaps we are still suffering from the sh1te that Hughes bought????

Not many clubs backed so many managers with a load of duff signings over such a short period of time

3 hours ago, lethal.lee69 said:

Can't please everybody but for me The Athletic is a really good subscription service offering excellent value. No idea how much newspapers cost nowadays but The Athletic currently offering far superior content for £1 a month over 12months. 

Agree. Good articles and in depth stuff on tactics you can’t get anywhere else, from top writers. Really enjoying.