Jump to content

Summer 2020 transfer business


Recommended Posts

Is all a bit tedious now. We'll recover, doubt we'll be in a relegation battle but any chance of a good season will be gone again due to a poor start and lack of signings.

If we want to improve, Redmond, Armstrong, Romeu and Adams should be our back up. I like all 3 most the time, but that's the level we need as back up. As it is, if they aren't fit or playing well, we are truly terrible. 

If JWP gets injured our central midfield would be amongst the worst around. Smallbone is largely anonymous. Fine if he's on the bench, gets 3 or 4 starts a season, but he's not ready or good enough for more.

The keeper situation is an utter mess too. 3 keepers all rubbish in their own way and the only one capable of passing it in the worst form of all and not on the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Is all a bit tedious now. We'll recover, doubt we'll be in a relegation battle but any chance of a good season will be gone again due to a poor start and lack of signings.

If we want to improve, Redmond, Armstrong, Romeu and Adams should be our back up. I like all 3 most the time, but that's the level we need as back up. As it is, if they aren't fit or playing well, we are truly terrible. 

If JWP gets injured our central midfield would be amongst the worst around. Smallbone is largely anonymous. Fine if he's on the bench, gets 3 or 4 starts a season, but he's not ready or good enough for more.

The keeper situation is an utter mess too. 3 keepers all rubbish in their own way and the only one capable of passing it in the worst form of all and not on the bench.

I think most fans will argue Armstrong is pivotal to how Ralph wants us to play. He's injury prone and it's evident we suffer when he doesn't play. Redmond is important player in terms of system but frustrating that he rarely takes on defenders one on one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Lots of pressure on the next couple of weeks....definitely need at least 2, hopefully 3.

Another CM, a couple of wide players. Then let's see where we go.

I imagine we'll use the loan market.

I imagine loan market may well be used.

Not been linked with too many wide-players yet. Previously:  Polish lad who went to Derby, Diagana & Rashica (!)

Edited by SuperSAINT
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I imagine loan market may well be used.

Not been linked with too many wide-players yet. Previously:  Polish lad who went to Derby, Diagana & Rashica (!)

I was surprised to see Leicester going after the Roma winger, Under - he's a really good player.

Even more surprised when I saw it was a loan...! So, they are out there...just got to hope our new 'setup' is ready to do the job. It would be nice for us to back Ralph once and for all, he's been on a shoe-string here since day 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I was surprised to see Leicester going after the Roma winger, Under - he's a really good player.

Even more surprised when I saw it was a loan...! So, they are out there...just got to hope our new 'setup' is ready to do the job. It would be nice for us to back Ralph once and for all, he's been on a shoe-string here since day 1.

True! For every Under, there's a Danso :) 

I wonder if Demarai Gray might be looked at? (That's a question rather than suggestion?)

Can you think of any domestic loan players we might look at?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SuperSAINT said:

True! For every Under, there's a Danso :) 

I wonder if Demarai Gray might be looked at? (That's a question rather than suggestion?)

Can you think of any domestic loan players we might look at?

RLC springs to mind. Hudson-Odoi needs game time, could be an opportunity to be a regular here.

McTominay at Man Utd? (now they've signed Van De Bekk) Davies at Everton? (Given that they've redesigned their midfield).

Delph..?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I think most fans will argue Armstrong is pivotal to how Ralph wants us to play. He's injury prone and it's evident we suffer when he doesn't play. Redmond is important player in terms of system but frustrating that he rarely takes on defenders one on one. 

They're both vital to the system and half decent players, there's no doubt. But there's no point signing back up to them. Both can be improved on given they rarely score, one is injury prone and the other prone so patches of really poor form. 

But it seems to only sign someone if Boufal goes. Why? Sims can do the handful of half decent sub cameos followed by disappointment and injury role. 

This is where we should have been investing properly in players we previously would have gone for, like Bowen, Eze, Benrahma. It's no good just saying prices have inflated if we have any ambition to compete even for top half. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, adriansfc said:

They're both vital to the system and half decent players, there's no doubt. But there's no point signing back up to them. Both can be improved on given they rarely score, one is injury prone and the other prone so patches of really poor form. 

But it seems to only sign someone if Boufal goes. Why? Sims can do the handful of half decent sub cameos followed by disappointment and injury role. 

This is where we should have been investing properly in players we previously would have gone for, like Bowen, Eze, Benrahma. It's no good just saying prices have inflated if we have any ambition to compete even for top half. 

I do agree with the averageness of some of our players, It felt to me as if we may use this window as an opportunity to 'upgrade' and evolve some positions, it certainly started that way with Salisu (I'd say he's going to be an improvement on our current two) and KWP is certainly a level above Valery.

I wanted to see us go out there and buy a midfielder to replace Romeu, someone who could start every single week alongside JWP. Surely we can find someone?

If we sell Boufal, let's go out there and get a starting wide player...not a squad player, someone who can start.

Otherwise we will just fall backwards and it's boring and painful watching that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I do agree with the averageness of some of our players, It felt to me as if we may use this window as an opportunity to 'upgrade' and evolve some positions, it certainly started that way with Salisu (I'd say he's going to be an improvement on our current two) and KWP is certainly a level above Valery.

I wanted to see us go out there and buy a midfielder to replace Romeu, someone who could start every single week alongside JWP. Surely we can find someone?

If we sell Boufal, let's go out there and get a starting wide player...not a squad player, someone who can start.

Otherwise we will just fall backwards and it's boring and painful watching that.

With what money can we exactly do that?

i m sure we would like to do it but I don t think we have the means.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I do agree with the averageness of some of our players, It felt to me as if we may use this window as an opportunity to 'upgrade' and evolve some positions, it certainly started that way with Salisu (I'd say he's going to be an improvement on our current two) and KWP is certainly a level above Valery.

I wanted to see us go out there and buy a midfielder to replace Romeu, someone who could start every single week alongside JWP. Surely we can find someone?

If we sell Boufal, let's go out there and get a starting wide player...not a squad player, someone who can start.

Otherwise we will just fall backwards and it's boring and painful watching that.

Isn't that supposed to be Djenpo?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Are we rewriting history again? Peak Clyne was far far better than KWP is, that’s why a team like Liverpool came in for him. 

Wouldn’t be able to say how good a fit Clyne would be - probably still better than Valery though.

 

Yes, that was the point of my question. I should have made that clearer. For whatever reason, Ralph doesn't seem to want to use Valery, so an experienced old hand to challenge KWP may be useful. Of course, he'd have to accept our wage structure, but I'm sure a few years on Liverpool's wage level would have bloated his bank account.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

With what money can we exactly do that?

i m sure we would like to do it but I don t think we have the means.

This is the problem, I thought Gao was supposed to help with further 'investment'. He's killing us, really.

But let's not go into that debate again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

True! For every Under, there's a Danso :) 

I wonder if Demarai Gray might be looked at? (That's a question rather than suggestion?)

Can you think of any domestic loan players we might look at?

 

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers has hinted Demarai Gray could leave the Foxes.

The winger is in the last year of his contract at the King Power Stadium and has struggled to cement his place under Rodgers.

He said: “It’ll be up to him. He’s in his last year and he hasn’t signed another deal but, for me, I will always respect Demarai and what his wishes are.

“He is working very hard to play a part while he’s here. We’ll see how it evolves over the course of the season."

 

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

 

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers has hinted Demarai Gray could leave the Foxes.

The winger is in the last year of his contract at the King Power Stadium and has struggled to cement his place under Rodgers.

He said: “It’ll be up to him. He’s in his last year and he hasn’t signed another deal but, for me, I will always respect Demarai and what his wishes are.

“He is working very hard to play a part while he’s here. We’ll see how it evolves over the course of the season."

 

 

Yes please- would be happy with this

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are talking about loaning someone from another PL team then I would imagine that involves paying 100% of the wages. Most of these Chelsea lads that get mentioned are on way over £100k a week so I doubt we would do that, even as a loan.

Under, who Leicester are signing seems to be a loan with an obligation if he plays a certain no of games. Now thats a type of deal that could work well for us, if the obligation means it happens automatically rather than the player, if he does well, ending up doing a Toby on us and holding out for a better move.

The UK deals are ridiculously overpriced, so I expect us to be dealing in Europe - as Semmens hinted, some of the other leagues will feel the pinch financially from Covid more than the PL.

Also - we need one wide player, no more as its just to replace Boufal, who barely played anyway. In addition to CM obviously.

From hearing Ralph earlier, rather than just reading the quotes, its clear they have a plan. Lets just hope they can execute it.

Edited by Dusic
Link to post
Share on other sites

Demarai Gray   😂  another player that prefers to play on the left, not as good as Redmond and I think Djenepo will come good.

...surely we'll be looking for a right sided player, Bright Osayi-Samuel maybe.. available for £5m too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, waylander said:

Isn't that supposed to be Djenpo?

Need much more from him. Injuries were a nightmare last season. If we can get him firing it will almost feel like a new signing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I was surprised to see Leicester going after the Roma winger, Under - he's a really good player.

Even more surprised when I saw it was a loan...! So, they are out there...just got to hope our new 'setup' is ready to do the job. It would be nice for us to back Ralph once and for all, he's been on a shoe-string here since day 1.

Brendan and Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha on walkie talkies could almost enact a scene from Airplane.

 

Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha: "Which player do you want? Over."

Brendan: "Under. Over."

Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha: "Under? Done."

 

<<<SNSUN gets coat.>>>

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

 

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers has hinted Demarai Gray could leave the Foxes.

The winger is in the last year of his contract at the King Power Stadium and has struggled to cement his place under Rodgers.

He said: “It’ll be up to him. He’s in his last year and he hasn’t signed another deal but, for me, I will always respect Demarai and what his wishes are.

“He is working very hard to play a part while he’s here. We’ll see how it evolves over the course of the season."

 

 

Despite terrrorising us a few times (all be it missing a hatful of chances too) he doesn't seem to be rated there at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I am guessing he is referring to the Juve Weston McKennie gazumping 

I took that to mean Hojberg & Reed, but you may be right that he’s referring to targets we’ve missed out on

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Also - we need one wide player, no more as its just to replace Boufal, who barely played anyway. In addition to CM obviously.

From hearing Ralph earlier, rather than just reading the quotes, its clear they have a plan. Lets just hope they can execute it.

Quite exciting that we should get a new CM and winger. Shame the CM will not be out first choice target and how good the winger will be with the little funds a Boufal departure will provide I am not sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I took that to mean Hojberg & Reed, but you may be right that he’s referring to targets we’ve missed out on

I never thought of it like that. Let's hope we have actually done some serious scouting in Europe and have a couple of gems up our sleeve. When a manager comes from an oversees league I expect them to bring some talent with them like Koeman did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Signed weeks ago. Came on the other night as they were knocked out of the CL by PAOK

Yes but only just seen it, don't follow all the palyers we're ever linked to all the time.

Give yourself an MLG point for pointing it out though ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Maybe we are trying to shift all the deadwood out to make way for some better players on the takeover?

We can dream hey?

More likely we are trying to shift some of our deadwood players to make way for some future deadwood players like Djenepo

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Chez said:

I never thought of it like that. Let's hope we have actually done some serious scouting in Europe and have a couple of gems up our sleeve. When a manager comes from an oversees league I expect them to bring some talent with them like Koeman did.

I think the Dutch league suits us.  I watch a fair bit of Eerste Divisie and the quick passing and relentless movement seems something like what we're trying to achieve.  But players from the Dutch league that we buy generally prove me wrong (actually I didn't mind Clasie).  

Edited by Manuel
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Manuel said:

I think the Dutch league suits us.  I watch a fair bit of Eerste Divisie and the quick passing and relentless movement seems something like what we're trying to achieve.  Then Hoedt, Clasie and Jeremy Pied prove me wrong (actually I didn't mind Clasie).  

Jeremy Pied was actually a good player and would, have given us decent cover at RB. Would have been important at the moment with KWP looking shaky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Lots of pressure on the next couple of weeks....definitely need at least 2, hopefully 3.

Another CM, a couple of wide players. Then let's see where we go.

I imagine we'll use the loan market.

Bet we end up with one Dansoesque loan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Jeremy Pied was actually a good player and would, have given us decent cover at RB. Would have been important at the moment with KWP looking shaky.

Think he played about half a game didn't he befor an injury ? I recall he seemed to deliver a decent cross, but after his injury we didn't see much of him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Bet we end up with one Dansoesque loan.

I always thought it would be a case of Saints having no money to spend this summer. 

We have had to sell to buy - and since we wasted the £75M we got for Van Dijk we have been in trouble as it means we've got no money in the bank to spend on new players. 

The players we have bought since we sold Van Dijk we have over paid for and then over paid them - which means we can't sell them on to generate new transfer funds or even get our money back.  And as we gave them all big salaries as well we have no room on our the wage bill either. 

It will be one or two out and one in if we are lucky.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I always thought it would be a case of Saints having no money to spend this summer. 

We have had to sell to buy - and since we wasted the £75M we got for Van Dijk we have been in trouble as it means we've got no money in the bank to spend on new players. 

The players we have bought since we sold Van Dijk we have over paid for and then over paid them - which means we can't sell them on to generate new transfer funds or even get our money back.  And as we gave them all big salaries as well we have no room on our the wage bill either. 

It will be one or two out and one in if we are lucky.

 

 

Exactly this.

Trimming down the squad and getting rid of the deadwood is one thing, but how do you replace them adequatly if we can t pay a considerable transfer fee.

we re nearly coming to the stage of  needing to sell some ‘star’ player to be able to have some wiggle room in the transfer Market but that s the state of our finances and playing squad right now.

We re in a very complicated situation and the longer Gao stays the worse it will get

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

 

 

 

 

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/11890703/ralph-hasenhuttl-promises-southampton-signings-in-january
 

I seem to remember Ralph saying exactly the same thing before and during the January transfer window. When nothing happened the cheerleaders on here claimed Ralph never meant any of that, it’s all okay because Vokins did alright in a game against one of the worst championship teams. I fully expect in a few weeks time Ralph will say the need to sign players is not urgent because *insert youth team players name* has proven himself to be further on than we thought. All the cheerleaders will applaud it and point out we can’t afford to buy anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One name I haven't seen linked before is Will Hughes. Duncan Castles (Sunday Times) says we are keen along with Brighton, but Watford want to keep him at the moment and have offered him a new contract.

‐-------

Just listened to Ralph's part 2 presser and he reiterated that we don't have much money and admitted it can be frustrating when a player is identified and we can't quite afford him and he then goes elsewhere. He did say he loves the challenge though and that Saints don't play games with Agents etc - they offer first team football in the PL with good coaching and the opportunity to impress big clubs - and players are keen on it.

Not on transfer topic but he also said it is very hard at academy level to compete with the big teams as their recruitment is very aggressive down to young age groups. Said we almost have to look for imperfect players who those teams won't have seen. Said Matt Crocker's knowledge has been very useful.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/11890703/ralph-hasenhuttl-promises-southampton-signings-in-january
 

I seem to remember Ralph saying exactly the same thing before and during the January transfer window. When nothing happened the cheerleaders on here claimed Ralph never meant any of that, it’s all okay because Vokins did alright in a game against one of the worst championship teams. I fully expect in a few weeks time Ralph will say the need to sign players is not urgent because *insert youth team players name* has proven himself to be further on than we thought. All the cheerleaders will applaud it and point out we can’t afford to buy anyone.

I was just thinking this - not the first time Ralph has said he needs/expects more incoming, only for them not to arrive with all the rationalising and excuse-making that usually entails.

The Swiss Ramble thread on cash injected by owners is revealing. As others have pointed out, the likes of Palace, Brighton and Newcastle (and Bournemouth) all have expensive flops who hardly trouble their benches these days, but it hasn't stopped them investing in the first team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Olivier Ntcham and a loan such as demarai Gray or loftus or Delph.

 

forget this youth strategy we need someone with a bit of grit and steel that can hit the ground running and pull strings in midfield.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

One name I haven't seen linked before is Will Hughes. Duncan Castles (Sunday Times) says we are keen along with Brighton, but Watford want to keep him at the moment and have offered him a new contract.

‐-------

Just listened to Ralph's part 2 presser and he reiterated that we don't have much money and admitted it can be frustrating when a player is identified and we can't quite afford him and he then goes elsewhere. He did say he loves the challenge though and that Saints don't play games with Agents etc - they offer first team football in the PL with good coaching and the opportunity to impress big clubs - and players are keen on it.

Not on transfer topic but he also said it is very hard at academy level to compete with the big teams as their recruitment is very aggressive down to young age groups. Said we almost have to look for imperfect players who those teams won't have seen. Said Matt Crocker's knowledge has been very useful.

Cheers for posting that -- Haven't got to watch a Part 2 presser for a while -- Normally some good stuff is found in those.

Maybe we just missed out on Bale & Thiago,

Will Hughes is a blast from the past.  What's Ademola Lookman up to these days?

Edited by SuperSAINT
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Turkish said:

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/11890703/ralph-hasenhuttl-promises-southampton-signings-in-january
 

I seem to remember Ralph saying exactly the same thing before and during the January transfer window. When nothing happened the cheerleaders on here claimed Ralph never meant any of that, it’s all okay because Vokins did alright in a game against one of the worst championship teams. I fully expect in a few weeks time Ralph will say the need to sign players is not urgent because *insert youth team players name* has proven himself to be further on than we thought. All the cheerleaders will applaud it and point out we can’t afford to buy anyone.

Personally looking forward to the mental gymnastics some on here will go through in a couple of months time to pretend that Ralph saying "we will do something. We have to. The market is still open" actually meant that he was delighted with the squad and any incoming would be a lovely bonus.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dusic said:

One name I haven't seen linked before is Will Hughes. Duncan Castles (Sunday Times) says we are keen along with Brighton, but Watford want to keep him at the moment and have offered him a new contract.

‐-------

I suggested Will Hughes as a possible signing in July and still think he is worth a look. He is 25 years old and has played 75 games in the premiership. He was one of the few players that did well at Watford last year (hence their desire  to try and keep him).

A few posters dismissed the suggestion on the basis that he was meant to be a future superstar 6-7 years ago but hasn't kicked on. Can't disagree, he certainly isn't an outstanding premier player, but he is solid, experienced and can play a number of midfield positions. As ever, if he was outstanding he would be too expensive for us. Beggars can't always be choosers .... 

My main concern is that he doesn't possess enormous pace - and with Romeu & JWP both slow or one-paced it would be nice to have a complementary style to them. Again, beggars can't be choosers. 

I did see that Spurs were linked with him a few weeks ago - a figure of £13m was mentioned. I assume that is a Levy offer, so we'd need to pay more ..... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rebel said:

I always thought it would be a case of Saints having no money to spend this summer. 

We have had to sell to buy - and since we wasted the £75M we got for Van Dijk we have been in trouble as it means we've got no money in the bank to spend on new players. 

The players we have bought since we sold Van Dijk we have over paid for and then over paid them - which means we can't sell them on to generate new transfer funds or even get our money back.  And as we gave them all big salaries as well we have no room on our the wage bill either. 

It will be one or two out and one in if we are lucky.

 

 

Yep you have articulately nailed the reason we’ll probably only get one more player in, and likely a cheap speculative loan at that.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Personally looking forward to the mental gymnastics some on here will go through in a couple of months time to pretend that Ralph saying "we will do something. We have to. The market is still open" actually meant that he was delighted with the squad and any incoming would be a lovely bonus.

It’s a long established fact that the less players he has to choose from the happier Ralph is. All this “we’re looking, it’s difficult, we have to get one or two in we know that” is all bluff and bluster as Ralph beams inwardly at the thought of seeing out the season with 2 established central midfielders, one of them over the hill and a fan of getting suspended.

Edited by stknowle
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})