Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

39 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

It is like this at every start of the season.

Last year the Danny Rohl fiasco went well into october until it was announced he had joined Bayern.

This year it is a global lack of communication, no coverage of pre season, no focus on new signings made.

It is all very well having a CEO on every now and then updating fans on when if they can return to the stadium and how his relationship with is rock solid since 9-0 spanking but you need a lIttle more than that.

You have been MLG'd!!!😁

3 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Quite a few people I’ve spoken to, Saints fans all their lives, are really annoyed with the club at the moment.

I wonder if this feeling is spreading among the wider fan base?

Bar the post-lockdown games which were like watching Saints under Nigel, Poch and Koeman, I’ve been disillusioned and a bit disinterested since spring 2017. Went to the early Pellegrino games after catching up on sleep at the Claude the Bore’s final games and couldn’t believe the entertainment value got even worse. Kat misled the fans about Gao who is a smear on the history having not been able to pass FAPP properly. Hoped we had turned the corner but back with the exception of Ings, JWP and Berty to gutless and low energy displays. 

Les’s impact was worse than Lowe or Redknapp but the club can’t keep on hiding behind the errors of a pensioner for not taking positive action 2-3 years on. Reed didn’t bring LD Sports in. They let him waste all of that money. They have a good manager now - back him or sell up now. No more excuses. You promised investment - deliver or go. 

After having been a STH for many years, home and away at one point, I’ve not been to a game since Hudds at home under that petrified thing Reed hired. I can’t say I’m tempted even when we can return to go back as I want see genuine hard work and some attempt at enterprising football. With Saints, your expectation of results is more modest.

2 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

We should just ask Ronald for a loan - must have a winger or midfielder who could do with a season out on loan.

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Ronnie Ekelund incoming!

Well, Ronald has just said this midfielder needs to find himself a loan. Get on the phone Ralph...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/barcelona-midfielder-riqui-puig-available-for-loan-after-ronald-koeman-talks-a4551301.html

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Would it? I’ve really not seen enough to judge but he wasn’t getting in Bournemouth’s team at the back end of last season. Would he really improve us or has he just dined out on a handful of superb free kicks?

I think his alleged £20m price tag is ridiculous but he is a slightly different player to what we have, a little more technical on the ball than our #10s but not as physically able. Left footed also.

Not sure he fits us off the ball, but depending on the deal he wouldn't be an awful option IMO.

Fair play to Ings if he stays here.....

double wages and play alongside Bale or stay at Saints and hope we can scrape a couple of toffee together to get some unknown on loan.... 

It's a no-brainer I'd be gone....

This club is so backwards sometimes yes let's get rid of four midfielders 

Reed, hoj, lemon and potentially Bovril leave it until last minute to bring some unknown in.....

Call me a negative Nancy I think we could go down this season.... 

5 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Fair play to Ings if he stays here.....

double wages and play alongside Bale or stay at Saints and hope we can scrape a couple of toffee together to get some unknown on loan.... 

It's a no-brainer I'd be gone....

This club is so backwards sometimes yes let's get rid of four midfielders 

Reed, hoj, lemon and potentially Bovril leave it until last minute to bring some unknown in.....

Call me a negative Nancy I think we could go down this season.... 

Have to agree, we did however see glimpses after lockdown, but if we don't get a cm in and a starter at that I think that's us done 

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Hojbjerg is not the difference between 11th and relegation. We’ve strengthened in defence and missed out on our top midfield target because he went to the Italian Champions.

Finally, some sense after all the bed-wetting that has been going on here in the last few days. Meanwhile, too, Man Utd just lost at home 3-1 to a Palace side we were unlucky to lose 1-0 against away from home. If we are destined for a relegation scrap, I wonder what that means for United!??!!!

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Hojbjerg is not the difference between 11th and relegation. We’ve strengthened in defence and missed out on our top midfield target because he went to the Italian Champions.

Agree with you about Hojberg not being the major loss to cause a slump.

As for improving the defence, have we though? I think that remains to be seen, we hope Salisu provides an immediate improvement but the bloke is 21 with only a season's experience in Spain as far as I'm aware.

MF - fair point we missed out on McKennie IF we were actually after him, there are conflicting reports on that. But if he was our number one choice and we were prepared to shell out £22m (?) you'd expect us to have another target on the list, especially if we've got the suggested £22m to spend.

6 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Finally, some sense after all the bed-wetting that has been going on here in the last few days. Meanwhile, too, Man Utd just lost at home 3-1 to a Palace side we were unlucky to lose 1-0 against away from home. If we are destined for a relegation scrap, I wonder what that means for United!??!!!

We weren't unlucky to lose to them. We had two decent chances to score, they had about five.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Agree with you about Hojberg not being the major loss to cause a slump.

As for improving the defence, have we though? I think that remains to be seen, we hope Salisu provides an immediate improvement but the bloke is 21 with only a season's experience in Spain as far as I'm aware.

MF - fair point we missed out on McKennie IF we were actually after him, there are conflicting reports on that. But if he was our number one choice and we were prepared to shell out £22m (?) you'd expect us to have another target on the list, especially if we've got the suggested £22m to spend.

I know he’s young but if Salisu isn’t an improvement on Bednarek or JS, I really do worry for our scouting department. 

At the very least we know who we’re playing at fullback every week. This time last season we were pissing around with Danso at RB, Cédric at LB, Yoshida in goal and f*ck knows what else.

5 minutes ago, Delmary said:

Meaning, no investment until we’re sold?

I’m not sure it makes much difference.

We would probably be doing the same thing if we weren't being sold OR if Chinese financing overseas wasn’t being frozen.

Poor recruitment has caught up with us.

Semmens makes a big deal of the freedom he and his board have been given by Gao to run the day to day affairs of the club independantly but how true is this in reality?

True, Gao intends to put nothing in financially but what happens when the P/L account shows a profit which Semmens might claim can be spent on new players? Does he really have that degree of autonomy? Maybe this is where Gao suddenly perks up and takes an interest, money is money after all and presumably that's why he bought the club. Semmens might suddenly be faced with the reality of where his autonomy begins and ends. Presumably if the profit is not "wasted" on new players it will quickly find a new home.

One wonders only because of the foot dragging that seemingly goes on at SFC in the transfer market, lots of rumours, lots of plausible links but little action other than the usual BS about keeping these things tsecret until everything is done and dusted.

Semmens makes a big deal of the freedom he and his board have been given by Gao to run the day to day affairs of the club independantly but how true is this in reality?

True, Gao intends to put nothing in financially but what happens when the P/L account shows a profit which Semmens might claim can be spent on new players? Does he really have that degree of autonomy? Maybe this is where Gao suddenly perks up and takes an interest, money is money after all and presumably that's why he bought the club. Semmens might suddenly be faced with the reality of where his autonomy begins and ends. Presumably if the profit is not "wasted" on new players it will quickly find a new home.

One wonders only because of the foot dragging that seemingly goes on at SFC in the transfer market, lots of rumours, lots of plausible links but little action other than the usual BS about keeping these things ecret until everything is done and dusted.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
Apology for double post. Not my fault guv!

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Or the likelihood we don’t have any to spend if you like back at Newcastle they did agree to continue recruitment during negotiations so not always case.

Newcastle made no major signing this summer before the takeover collapsed at the end of July. Hendrick, Fraser, Wilson and Lewis all joined long after the collapse of the takeover.

So, what do we need then..?

New starting top level CM, without question.

Another CB, let Jan go as it seems as if his head has been turned. He's attitude has looked shit this season.

New GK if we want to play a highline with a sweeper keeper.

New attacking winger to replace Boufal and give us more options than Tella.

What will we do? Probably a CM on loan on the final day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So, what do we need then..?

New starting top level CM, without question.

Another CB, let Jan go as it seems as if his head has been turned. He's attitude has looked shit this season.

New GK if we want to play a highline with a sweeper keeper.

New attacking winger to replace Boufal and give us more options than Tella.

What will we do? Probably a CM on loan on the final day. 

All purchased with a couple of quid and some acorns.

3 minutes ago, Delmary said:

The club should have not sold a key squad CM without having a replacement signed and sealed. A total disgrace from Gao downwards. I hope Gao f@cks off soon.

The prob we had is that the PEH money was used to sign Salisu and KWP,  two positions which were urgent as well.

We then have to/had to wait until we made further sales to open up the possibility of replacing PEH. 

I've seen some fans saying on another forum that we got '18m' for Hoj, so let's spend that on another CM. We can't, it was spent. We just have to see what's out there and string together a few bits of lose change from the Reed deal.

We deserve relegation m. Complete lack of ambition and interest by the owner, terrible recruitment (Down to previous tenure) and a wafer thin squad has all lead to this. 

it’s clear, unless something happens regarding a take over very very soon, we will be stuck with what we’ve got. 

getting it out there early, I think this will be the season we drop. 

Just now, SKD said:

We deserve relegation m. Complete lack of ambition and interest by the owner, terrible recruitment (Down to previous tenure) and a wafer thin squad has all lead to this. 

it’s clear, unless something happens regarding a take over very very soon, we will be stuck with what we’ve got. 

getting it out there early, I think this will be the season we drop. 

2 games

2 games

🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

2 games

2 games

🙄

What exactly in his post do you specifically take issue with based on what has been on show so far this season ? Yes, plenty of time to turn it around, especially with a couple of improvements in the squad although not sure where they'll be coming from or how we afford them but that's another issue.

It's actually three games if you include playing a weakened Brentford side, there wasn't much to write home about in that match either even if it wasn't a league fixture.

Could you give some positives from our performances this season (as opposed to an emoji)?

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

What exactly in his post do you specifically take issue with based on what has been on show so far this season ?

He said...

"We deserve relegation"

Based on 2 league games. 

1) The Palace game wasn't terrible, we just couldn't finish. It wasn't a bad performance and it wasn't a good performance. Palace made only 150 passes as the home team!

2) The entire Brentford game was terrible

3) The 2nd half of the Spurs game was terrible due to the defensive line being far too high

So 2020/21 season has seen 45 terrible minutes of Premier League football.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We need,

Starting CM,

Depth in the wide positions/starter, Redmond, Djenepo and Armstrong are ok, but we have nothing in those positions off the bench, Tella isn’t there yet

New keeper if we’re going to play this system, Forster or Gunn aren’t the answer either. 

Another CB with pace to partner Salisu

Highly likely we’ll get one CM who won’t end up being first choice...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He said...

"We deserve relegation"

Based on 2 league games. 

1) The Palace game wasn't terrible, we just couldn't finish. It wasn't a bad performance and it wasn't a good performance. Palace made only 150 passes as the home team!

2) The entire Brentford game was terrible

3) The 2nd half of the Spurs game was terrible due to the defensive line being far too high

So 2020/21 season has seen 45 terrible minutes of Premier League football.

We drew two saves from the Palace Gk, we didn't pepper the goal and come away unlucky. It was a average - at best - performance which we lost after Romeu and Redmond between them lost possesion ... 

We have been poor this season.

Going back to his comment re deserving relegation, this comment as I read it  was more about the management of the club from the top and the recruitment etc than just highlighting the performances [We deserve relegation m. Complete lack of ambition and interest by the owner, terrible recruitment (Down to previous tenure) and a wafer thin squad has all lead to this.]. Two games or not it's difficult to argue that we've be well run over the last three or four seasons, especially where appointments and recruitment is concerned. 

Await your comments to give some positives from our performances this season.

• Like 1

Feels like the next 2 weeks will be very indicative of not just our season, but maybe also Ralph's tenure.

Will the club back him? Worth remembering he resigned fairly suddenly from Leipzig when it stopped going his way.

We need as a minimum a starting quality partner for JWP and a good #10 option.

Interesting that the Butland/Gunn swap thing has come up again. Can't see it unless we also have a move lined up for Forster. Plus, isnt Butland also poor with his feet?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Feels like the next 2 weeks will be very indicative of not just our season, but maybe also Ralph's tenure.

Will the club back him? Worth remembering he resigned fairly suddenly from Leipzig when it stopped going his way.

Interesting that the Butland/Gunn swap thing has come up again. Can't see it unless we also have a move lined up for Forster. Plus, isnt Butland also poor with his feet?

I'm not sure we will back him right now. Disinterested owner who has us in balance the books mode while seemingly looking for a buyer. We might get a midfielder in, but I think it will be a loan/cheap option.

Ralph does seem to be showing frustration with lack of transfer activity over the last few days in interviews.

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Ironically, I think Gunn is best with ball at feet.

2 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I'm not sure we will back him right now. Disinterested owner who has us in balance the books mode while seemingly looking for a buyer. We might get a midfielder in, but I think it will be a loan/cheap option.

Ralph does seem to be showing frustration with lack of transfer activity over the last few days in interviews.

He must have known we were short of cash? He wanted a smaller squad too.

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

It is not a case of should we back Ralph, it is obvious the club would do it but we do not have the finances to do this.

This is what happens when you have to sell before you buy.

We are the only club in the PL to do this.

But what I cannot understand Is the decision to let midfield players go (Reed Lemina) before we can a CM in. This is as suicidal as our high line defending today.

Likewise I hope we don’t sell Boufal if we have no replacement lined up.