Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers has hinted Demarai Gray could leave the Foxes.

The winger is in the last year of his contract at the King Power Stadium and has struggled to cement his place under Rodgers.

He said: “It’ll be up to him. He’s in his last year and he hasn’t signed another deal but, for me, I will always respect Demarai and what his wishes are.

“He is working very hard to play a part while he’s here. We’ll see how it evolves over the course of the season."

Yes please- would be happy with this

If we are talking about loaning someone from another PL team then I would imagine that involves paying 100% of the wages. Most of these Chelsea lads that get mentioned are on way over £100k a week so I doubt we would do that, even as a loan.

Under, who Leicester are signing seems to be a loan with an obligation if he plays a certain no of games. Now thats a type of deal that could work well for us, if the obligation means it happens automatically rather than the player, if he does well, ending up doing a Toby on us and holding out for a better move.

The UK deals are ridiculously overpriced, so I expect us to be dealing in Europe - as Semmens hinted, some of the other leagues will feel the pinch financially from Covid more than the PL.

Also - we need one wide player, no more as its just to replace Boufal, who barely played anyway. In addition to CM obviously.

From hearing Ralph earlier, rather than just reading the quotes, its clear they have a plan. Lets just hope they can execute it.

Edited by Dusic

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I was surprised to see Leicester going after the Roma winger, Under - he's a really good player.

Even more surprised when I saw it was a loan...! So, they are out there...just got to hope our new 'setup' is ready to do the job. It would be nice for us to back Ralph once and for all, he's been on a shoe-string here since day 1.

Brendan and Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha on walkie talkies could almost enact a scene from Airplane.

Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha: "Which player do you want? Over."

Brendan: "Under. Over."

Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha: "Under? Done."

<<<SNSUN gets coat.>>>

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers has hinted Demarai Gray could leave the Foxes.

The winger is in the last year of his contract at the King Power Stadium and has struggled to cement his place under Rodgers.

He said: “It’ll be up to him. He’s in his last year and he hasn’t signed another deal but, for me, I will always respect Demarai and what his wishes are.

“He is working very hard to play a part while he’s here. We’ll see how it evolves over the course of the season."

Despite terrrorising us a few times (all be it missing a hatful of chances too) he doesn't seem to be rated there at all.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Also - we need one wide player, no more as its just to replace Boufal, who barely played anyway. In addition to CM obviously.

From hearing Ralph earlier, rather than just reading the quotes, its clear they have a plan. Lets just hope they can execute it.

Quite exciting that we should get a new CM and winger. Shame the CM will not be out first choice target and how good the winger will be with the little funds a Boufal departure will provide I am not sure. 

2 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I took that to mean Hojberg & Reed, but you may be right that he’s referring to targets we’ve missed out on

I never thought of it like that. Let's hope we have actually done some serious scouting in Europe and have a couple of gems up our sleeve. When a manager comes from an oversees league I expect them to bring some talent with them like Koeman did.

5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Signed weeks ago. Came on the other night as they were knocked out of the CL by PAOK

Yes but only just seen it, don't follow all the palyers we're ever linked to all the time.

Give yourself an MLG point for pointing it out though ! 

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

I never thought of it like that. Let's hope we have actually done some serious scouting in Europe and have a couple of gems up our sleeve. When a manager comes from an oversees league I expect them to bring some talent with them like Koeman did.

I think the Dutch league suits us.  I watch a fair bit of Eerste Divisie and the quick passing and relentless movement seems something like what we're trying to achieve.  But players from the Dutch league that we buy generally prove me wrong (actually I didn't mind Clasie).  

Edited by Manuel

Just now, Manuel said:

I think the Dutch league suits us.  I watch a fair bit of Eerste Divisie and the quick passing and relentless movement seems something like what we're trying to achieve.  Then Hoedt, Clasie and Jeremy Pied prove me wrong (actually I didn't mind Clasie).  

Jeremy Pied was actually a good player and would, have given us decent cover at RB. Would have been important at the moment with KWP looking shaky.

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Lots of pressure on the next couple of weeks....definitely need at least 2, hopefully 3.

Another CM, a couple of wide players. Then let's see where we go.

I imagine we'll use the loan market.

Bet we end up with one Dansoesque loan.

34 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Jeremy Pied was actually a good player and would, have given us decent cover at RB. Would have been important at the moment with KWP looking shaky.

Think he played about half a game didn't he befor an injury ? I recall he seemed to deliver a decent cross, but after his injury we didn't see much of him.

14 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Bet we end up with one Dansoesque loan.

I always thought it would be a case of Saints having no money to spend this summer. 

We have had to sell to buy - and since we wasted the £75M we got for Van Dijk we have been in trouble as it means we've got no money in the bank to spend on new players. 

The players we have bought since we sold Van Dijk we have over paid for and then over paid them - which means we can't sell them on to generate new transfer funds or even get our money back.  And as we gave them all big salaries as well we have no room on our the wage bill either. 

It will be one or two out and one in if we are lucky.

3 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I always thought it would be a case of Saints having no money to spend this summer. 

We have had to sell to buy - and since we wasted the £75M we got for Van Dijk we have been in trouble as it means we've got no money in the bank to spend on new players. 

The players we have bought since we sold Van Dijk we have over paid for and then over paid them - which means we can't sell them on to generate new transfer funds or even get our money back.  And as we gave them all big salaries as well we have no room on our the wage bill either. 

Exactly this.

Trimming down the squad and getting rid of the deadwood is one thing, but how do you replace them adequatly if we can t pay a considerable transfer fee.

we re nearly coming to the stage of  needing to sell some ‘star’ player to be able to have some wiggle room in the transfer Market but that s the state of our finances and playing squad right now.

We re in a very complicated situation and the longer Gao stays the worse it will get

8 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/11890703/ralph-hasenhuttl-promises-southampton-signings-in-january

I seem to remember Ralph saying exactly the same thing before and during the January transfer window. When nothing happened the cheerleaders on here claimed Ralph never meant any of that, it’s all okay because Vokins did alright in a game against one of the worst championship teams. I fully expect in a few weeks time Ralph will say the need to sign players is not urgent because *insert youth team players name* has proven himself to be further on than we thought. All the cheerleaders will applaud it and point out we can’t afford to buy anyone.

One name I haven't seen linked before is Will Hughes. Duncan Castles (Sunday Times) says we are keen along with Brighton, but Watford want to keep him at the moment and have offered him a new contract.

‐-------

Just listened to Ralph's part 2 presser and he reiterated that we don't have much money and admitted it can be frustrating when a player is identified and we can't quite afford him and he then goes elsewhere. He did say he loves the challenge though and that Saints don't play games with Agents etc - they offer first team football in the PL with good coaching and the opportunity to impress big clubs - and players are keen on it.

Not on transfer topic but he also said it is very hard at academy level to compete with the big teams as their recruitment is very aggressive down to young age groups. Said we almost have to look for imperfect players who those teams won't have seen. Said Matt Crocker's knowledge has been very useful.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/11890703/ralph-hasenhuttl-promises-southampton-signings-in-january

I seem to remember Ralph saying exactly the same thing before and during the January transfer window. When nothing happened the cheerleaders on here claimed Ralph never meant any of that, it’s all okay because Vokins did alright in a game against one of the worst championship teams. I fully expect in a few weeks time Ralph will say the need to sign players is not urgent because *insert youth team players name* has proven himself to be further on than we thought. All the cheerleaders will applaud it and point out we can’t afford to buy anyone.

I was just thinking this - not the first time Ralph has said he needs/expects more incoming, only for them not to arrive with all the rationalising and excuse-making that usually entails.

The Swiss Ramble thread on cash injected by owners is revealing. As others have pointed out, the likes of Palace, Brighton and Newcastle (and Bournemouth) all have expensive flops who hardly trouble their benches these days, but it hasn't stopped them investing in the first team. 

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

One name I haven't seen linked before is Will Hughes. Duncan Castles (Sunday Times) says we are keen along with Brighton, but Watford want to keep him at the moment and have offered him a new contract.

‐-------

Just listened to Ralph's part 2 presser and he reiterated that we don't have much money and admitted it can be frustrating when a player is identified and we can't quite afford him and he then goes elsewhere. He did say he loves the challenge though and that Saints don't play games with Agents etc - they offer first team football in the PL with good coaching and the opportunity to impress big clubs - and players are keen on it.

Not on transfer topic but he also said it is very hard at academy level to compete with the big teams as their recruitment is very aggressive down to young age groups. Said we almost have to look for imperfect players who those teams won't have seen. Said Matt Crocker's knowledge has been very useful.

Cheers for posting that -- Haven't got to watch a Part 2 presser for a while -- Normally some good stuff is found in those.

Maybe we just missed out on Bale & Thiago,

Will Hughes is a blast from the past.  What's Ademola Lookman up to these days?

Edited by SuperSAINT

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Personally looking forward to the mental gymnastics some on here will go through in a couple of months time to pretend that Ralph saying "we will do something. We have to. The market is still open" actually meant that he was delighted with the squad and any incoming would be a lovely bonus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dusic said:

‐-------

I suggested Will Hughes as a possible signing in July and still think he is worth a look. He is 25 years old and has played 75 games in the premiership. He was one of the few players that did well at Watford last year (hence their desire  to try and keep him).

A few posters dismissed the suggestion on the basis that he was meant to be a future superstar 6-7 years ago but hasn't kicked on. Can't disagree, he certainly isn't an outstanding premier player, but he is solid, experienced and can play a number of midfield positions. As ever, if he was outstanding he would be too expensive for us. Beggars can't always be choosers .... 

My main concern is that he doesn't possess enormous pace - and with Romeu & JWP both slow or one-paced it would be nice to have a complementary style to them. Again, beggars can't be choosers. 

I did see that Spurs were linked with him a few weeks ago - a figure of £13m was mentioned. I assume that is a Levy offer, so we'd need to pay more ..... 

11 hours ago, Rebel said:

Yep you have articulately nailed the reason we’ll probably only get one more player in, and likely a cheap speculative loan at that.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Personally looking forward to the mental gymnastics some on here will go through in a couple of months time to pretend that Ralph saying "we will do something. We have to. The market is still open" actually meant that he was delighted with the squad and any incoming would be a lovely bonus.

It’s a long established fact that the less players he has to choose from the happier Ralph is. All this “we’re looking, it’s difficult, we have to get one or two in we know that” is all bluff and bluster as Ralph beams inwardly at the thought of seeing out the season with 2 established central midfielders, one of them over the hill and a fan of getting suspended.

Edited by stknowle

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

I'll point out now that "we can't afford to buy anyone". Pointing that out makes me realistic, not a "cheerleader". We were skint pre covid and getting tucked up by our former sponsors. We'll have to make do with what we have, kids, or a crappy loan/free/budget signing. 

7 minutes ago, egg said:

I'll point out now that "we can't afford to buy anyone". Pointing that out makes me realistic, not a "cheerleader". We were skint pre covid and getting tucked up by our former sponsors. We'll have to make do with what we have, kids, or a crappy loan/free/budget signing. 

That’s not what Semmens said the other day or what Ralph has been saying, but we’ve been here before haven’t we.. Let’s see if this transfer window pans out like the others before it when there wasn’t a global pandemic or getting tucked up by dodgy sponsors. 

Edited by Turkish

Just now, Turkish said:

That’s not what Semmens said the other day. 

True but I take that with a pinch of salt. Can't let the vultures know we're skint. You've seen the accounts Del, the £85m loan, and you know the way the world spin, especially now.

We need a huge injection of cash which we won't get, or we've got to duck and dive. I'm putting a wager on a loan midfielder from the Dutch or Turkish league, and a reserve winger from Arsenal or City, at best. 

53 minutes ago, egg said:

True but I take that with a pinch of salt. Can't let the vultures know we're skint. You've seen the accounts Del, the £85m loan, and you know the way the world spin, especially now.

We need a huge injection of cash which we won't get, or we've got to duck and dive. I'm putting a wager on a loan midfielder from the Dutch or Turkish league, and a reserve winger from Arsenal or City, at best. 

I’d fully expect other clubs not to rely on public interviews with our chairman to gauge our financial situation. Every club is in the same boat, CV-19 much like agents fees and bonuses are not just unique to Southampton.  Ralph said we need to improve the squad, the chairman says we can, let’s see if we do. I fully expect in 6 weeks time some will be applauding our amazing pathway for youth using Ralph’s new narrative that he’s Now fine with the squad we have as their evidence. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’d fully expect other clubs not to rely on public interviews with our chairman to gauge our financial situation. Every club is in the same boat, CV-19 much like agents fees and bonuses are not just unique to Southampton.  Ralph said we need to improve the squad, the chairman says we can, let’s see if we do. I fully expect in 6 weeks time some will be applauding our amazing pathway for youth using Ralph’s new narrative that he’s Now fine with the squad we have as their evidence. 

We arrive at the same destination by different roads! 

A month ago or so I mentioned that Chelsea had gone in for Bednarek ( Self proclaimed ITK ). I was speaking to my source (a pal of mine) yesterday and was told that Chelsea weren’t willing to pay the fee required but that Saints are looking to sell him due to contract issues. He didn’t know anymore than that.  

Cant expect anyone to take that seriously due to me not having any credentials here but still think it’s worth mentioning for a discussion. 

Looked into his contract - signed a 5 year deal with 2 years left. Maybe he’s on a low wage? Hopefully somewhere else on here may have a better understanding of why there’s contract issues?

Just now, NorthLondonSFC said:

A month ago or so I mentioned that Chelsea had gone in for Bednarek ( Self proclaimed ITK ). I was speaking to my source (a pal of mine) yesterday and was told that Chelsea weren’t willing to pay the fee required but that Saints are looking to sell him due to contract issues. He didn’t know anymore than that.  

Cant expect anyone to take that seriously due to me not having any credentials here but still think it’s worth mentioning for a discussion. 

Looked into his contract - signed a 5 year deal with 2 years left. Maybe he’s on a low wage? Hopefully somewhere else on here may have a better understanding of why there’s contract issues?

I would imagine he's one of the 'group' which we identified for renewal, if he doesn't sign a new deal this window is probably the height of his value. We may decide to cash in, and then replace?

He certainly looked off it last weekend, even to be subbed at HT was a bit strange. He looks distracted, I'm not sure if that's just me reading too much into things though.

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Quite a few people I’ve spoken to, Saints fans all their lives, are really annoyed with the club at the moment.

I wonder if this feeling is spreading among the wider fan base?

I have to say that as a fan of many, many years standing, I am a little bit peed off with the club at the moment. The club asked for people to buy ST's when nobody has a clue if and when we will be allowed back in. I, along with thousands of others have done this in good faith. Other clubs have made signings and made play of them with photos and announcements etc. We have made two signings, KWP who was on loan last year and Salisu. The whole "mysterious" strung-out way that the Salisu signing was handled was very strange and somewhat underwhelming. This whole "low-key" manner that the club have adopted (along with the shirt sponsorship fiasco) is frustrating. It seems that we are letting everyone else have first choice and then seeing what is left over. I fully accept that we are never going to match most other clubs when it comes to spending but in this "Time of Covid" I think that we need a bit of excitement as fans, (especially those who have put their money where their mouth is and bought ST's upfront) and I am afraid that, apart from the two dismal performances so far this season, big announcements about new club commercial partners don't do it for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I have to say that as a fan of many, many years standing, I am a little bit peed off with the club at the moment. The club asked for people to buy ST's when nobody has a clue if and when we will be allowed back in. I, along with thousands of others have done this in good faith. Other clubs have made signings and made play of them with photos and announcements etc. We have made two signings, KWP who was on loan last year and Salisu. The whole "mysterious" strung-out way that the Salisu signing was handled was very strange and somewhat underwhelming. This whole "low-key" manner that the club have adopted (along with the shirt sponsorship fiasco) is frustrating. It seems that we are letting everyone else have first choice and then seeing what is left over. I fully accept that we are never going to match most other clubs when it comes to spending but in this "Time of Covid" I think that we need a bit of excitement as fans, (especially those who have put their money where their mouth is and bought ST's upfront) and I am afraid that, apart from the two dismal performances so far this season, big announcements about new club commercial partners don't do it for me.

It is like this at every start of the season.

Last year the Danny Rohl fiasco went well into october until it was announced he had joined Bayern.

This year it is a global lack of communication, no coverage of pre season, no focus on new signings made.

It is all very well having a CEO on every now and then updating fans on when if they can return to the stadium and how his relationship with is rock solid since 9-0 spanking but you need a lIttle more than that.

25 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

It is like this at every start of the season.

Last year the Danny Rohl fiasco went well into october until it was announced he had joined Bayern.

That is not true.

Rohl leaving and his replacement joining both happened in August 2019.

6th August Rohl announced as leaving...

23rd August, Richard Kitzbilcher announced as his replacement...

• Haha 1