Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's also very, very annoying how commentators refer to him as Ollie Watkins every time rather than just Watkins, despite there being no other Watkins on the pitch. Villa are welcome to him for that reason alone.

It's like Harry Kane.  They sound like they're a better player if they have 2 names!

33 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

The reported £28m is absolutely mental money for a player that has not played above the Championship!

Watkins scored 3 more goals (25) last season than Che did in his last Championship season in 18/19 (22) and Villa are paying almost double what we paid for Che last summer.

It's a lot of money and a gamble but has a bit more to his game at that level than Adams had. Still, quite a premium. Similar sort of signing to us and J Rod in 2012 and that was only £7m!

A big beneficiary are Exeter City. Assuming a 20% sell on (not ITK here) that's a £3-6m injection depending on how the Villa deal is structured. For a proper fan-run L2 club (take note Pompey pre-Eisner) through Covid that is an absolute lifeline.

9 hours ago, Saint-Reece said:

The reported £28m is absolutely mental money for a player that has not played above the Championship!

Watkins scored 3 more goals (25) last season than Che did in his last Championship season in 18/19 (22) and Villa are paying almost double what we paid for Che last summer.

Not too many worldies in his YouTube collection that’s for sure. Loads of tap ins and unmarked headers. Will be interesting to see if he can work as much space in the prem......

18 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Source close to Sofiane’s people.

A departure is definitely not a given as Ralph likes Boufal and wants him to stay.

Board is pushing for a departure as they want to recoup some money.

Really hope this is true. Boufal has bags of talent and would be easily as productive as Redmond if giving the same amount of minutes. Absolute joke to let his value get to 4 million.

I’d actually extend his deal and try get the best out of him as there is so much ability to work with.

anyway we have quite good depth and options with Redmond Armstrong boufal and djenepo.. hope we keep him

3 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Really hope this is true. Boufal has bags of talent and would be easily as productive as Redmond if giving the same amount of minutes. Absolute joke to let his value get to 4 million.

I’d actually extend his deal and try get the best out of him as there is so much ability to work with.

anyway we have quite good depth and options with Redmond Armstrong boufal and djenepo.. hope we keep him

When was the last time he had a good game when he started it? Yes he has bags of talent but he's scored 3 league goals in 3 years FFS. That's terrible for a player who was our record signing when he joined. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

A departure is definitely not a given as Ralph likes Boufal and wants him to stay.

I suppose it depends on the numbers -- Do we need the cash to help us sign the centre-mid?  If not, then, if Ralph wants to keep him, keep him.

I can see the prudency of cashing in though.  Part of me thinks we are more likely to see the best from him with a year left and him trying to impress potential suitors.

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

When was the last time he had a good game when he started it? Yes he has bags of talent but he's scored 3 league goals in 3 years FFS. That's terrible for a player who was our record signing when he joined. 

He did only have 8 starts last season.

its not easy to rack up goals when your getting 10 minutes off the bench occasionally.. Armstrong was also being written off before finally getting a run in the side.

but I thought he was playing well last season was beating players and getting in great positions a lot where he cut the ball back a few times we missed sitters from this which should of been assists for him but he did his part.

i just think if he had the type of opportunity’s Redmond has had who is very hit and miss.

we could be looking at a whole different scenario 

Everyone knows Boufal has talent. But he doesn't use it to tangibly help the team enough, and isn't available enough.

He will have the odd good cameo as a sub but over a season he doesn't have enough influence.

Better for all that he leaves.

8 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

He did only have 8 starts last season.

its not easy to rack up goals when your getting 10 minutes off the bench occasionally.. Armstrong was also being written off before finally getting a run in the side.

but I thought he was playing well last season was beating players and getting in great positions a lot where he cut the ball back a few times we missed sitters from this which should of been assists for him but he did his part.

i just think if he had the type of opportunity’s Redmond has had who is very hit and miss.

we could be looking at a whole different scenario 

What about the years before that? Don’t you think there is a reason he only got 8 starts? Armstrong took a while to adjust but last season was a key player for us, boufal has had 4 years to prove himself and his contribution amounts to a handful of decent sub appearances, when he has started he’s rarely stayed in the team, there is a reason for that. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What about the years before that? Don’t you think there is a reason he only got 8 starts? Armstrong took a while to adjust but last season was a key player for us, boufal has had 4 years to prove himself and his contribution amounts to a handful of decent sub appearances, when he has started he’s rarely stayed in the team, there is a reason for that. 

I'd agree with this - £3-4 million or so is a half decent amount for us at the moment and I doubt we would be able to get anymore for him with 1 year left on his contract (even though he is worth more that). The sort of foreign teams who would be interested in him just won't be able to offer more than what's being rumoured, as seen with Hoedt. Extending his contract would be madness.

I would be happy for him to stay until the end of the season but can see why the club would sell him. If it goes towards the funding of a new signing then fair enough. I do think we could do with another attacker but if Ralph rates Tella then who am I to argue. 

9 hours ago, Dusic said:

Everyone knows Boufal has talent. But he doesn't use it to tangibly help the team enough, and isn't available enough.

He will have the odd good cameo as a sub but over a season he doesn't have enough influence.

Better for all that he leaves.

Was that not a consequence of the poor defence for the first half of last season?

Surely a more confident defense allows more freedom up the pitch.

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Was that not a consequence of the poor defence for the first half of last season?

Surely a more confident defense allows more freedom up the pitch.

I love many aspects of Boufal's skills and abilities and he has provided some great moments, but I don't think that we can keep making excuses for him year after year. It is no good explaining his poor contribution in the first half of last year but ignoring all the other years of non-delivery and I include his time at Celta Vigo here where he did ok, but again the goals and assist columns were again low.

I'm not against keeping him to make cameo substitute appearances when we are chasing the game, but if the £5m saved by selling him now means the difference between a good defensive midfielder and a very good defensive midfielder, I'd take the money. 

13 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Very pleased to read this. If Ralph sees something in him then keep him. He might yet surprise a lot of people on here.

13 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

I was told the club want him gone and that he's going so will be interesting to see what happens.

I can't imagine Ralph does really want to keep him - he's not even 2nd choice for his position.  Djenepo, Smallbone and even Long are more likely to get on the pitch in front of him and that was the case for most of last season.  If Ralph wanted him and rated him higher then he would have got more minutes last season - only way I can see him staying is if the offers are so poor that it's just not worth it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

If Ralph wants him then why hasn't he played him more? 

Think it is more complicated than that.

Ralph likes him as a player, but does he like him to the point as starting every game in front of Redmond and co?
Don´t think so.

Plus he only started 8 games last season for several reasons:

- He stabbed his toe in the kitchen just as he was in the groove and was absent for a month

- when Redmond got injured, it was his chance to shine but corona kicked in and he didn t get it.

- he got injured just as project restart started

I was told Sofiane has no issues staying provided he is given a real chance to stake his claim.

What is important for him is to be fully involved, he doesn’t a bit part role, whether that is at Southampton or elsewhere.

Let’s see how this pans out before the end of the window.

A good indicator will probably be his involvement in the next few games.

43 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

What is important for him is to be fully involved, he doesn’t a bit part role, whether that is at Southampton or elsewhere.

This is a shame as he is a good bench option but I personally think Djenepo has much more about him than Boufal so if anyone is going to be competing with Armstrong and Redmond it should be him. Also, I like that we have a path for youth with Smallbone right on the cusp of coming through too. Boufal is a good squad player but it he doesn't want a bit part role he should head off.

How much would we realistically get for Boufal? £5m + having to subsidise some of his salary? who could we get who’d be an improvement on what we have for £5m? 

he hasn’t set the world alight and has been pretty unlucky with injuries, but I think it’s clear, technically he’s one of our best players. Get the best out of him and he has something we’re massively lacking in the ability to change a game off the bench. 

thought this could be his breakthrough year as I thought playing in that left wing / 10 role would be perfect for him, but for whatever reason it wasn’t to be. 

personally, on balance, I’d keep him unless we find someone willing to take him on and cover all his salary and we can get a replacement for c. The amount we receive. 

Completely different situation to that of Hodet and lemina who are compete bellends... boufal is a pretty decent lad and a liked member of the squad. 

• Like 2

SKY SPORTS TRANSFER CENTRE

RALPH SEEKS SAINTS REINFORCEMENTS

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has confirmed the club are actively looking for a new midfielder following the sale of Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg earlier in the summer to Tottenham.

Club Brugge striker Emmanuel Dennis has been linked with the club but Hasenhuttl wouldn't be drawn on the reported deal involving Wesley Hoedt going to Belgium.

Alex McCarthy will remain the No 1 Saints 'keeper despite Fraser Forster returning from his Celtic loan. Forster or Angus Gunn will be loaned out this season, Hasenhuttl confirmed.

He said: "More needs to be done, absolutely. We know we have lost a No 6 with Pierre gone and we need to do something. There is a long way to go.

"There is still time to go but we have a good XI. We have a lot of games this season so we'll need some alternatives."