Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Just listening to LBC and a reporter said he was a Saints fan. Presenter Andrew Castle said he was a mate of Ryan Bertrand’s. ‘I hope he stays’, says Castle. Bit odd. Thought he was signed up. Then I see us linked to a new right back Czech Republic player on Instagram. Weird. 

A new right back is irrelevant to Bertrand's contract situation. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

Considering Covid and the sponsorship fiasco it seems a sensible summer from Saints.

At the end of the season if you had asked which positions we need to strengthen pretty much everyone would have said RB (KWP or other) and CB. We have done that.

All that has changed is the sale of PEH. If we dont sign another CM then its silly and asking for trouble. If we do, and don't lose anyone key, then its been a good window in the context of being a club without mega bucks.

Edited by Dusic

Still can't help feeling we might be better off getting in an experienced player from a top club on loan for the season and buy a permanent midfield fixture next summer when we have more funds available, rather than buying a mediocre midfielder now and being lumbered with them when they inevitably don't become part of our long term plans. 

22 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Still can't help feeling we might be better off getting in an experienced player from a top club on loan for the season and buy a permanent midfield fixture next summer when we have more funds available, rather than buying a mediocre midfielder now and being lumbered with them when they inevitably don't become part of our long term plans. 

I agree, especially Chelsea who seem to have way too many CM’s on the books. 

players like RLC, Barkley, Billy Gimour + a number of younger players would add some much needed quality to our midfield. Weather they’re a Ralph type player is another matter, but they have a lot of depth with the euros round the corner a lot of players will be getting itchy feet. 

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

players like RLC, Barkley, Billy Gimour + a number of younger players would add some much needed quality to our midfield. Weather they’re a Ralph type player is another matter, but they have a lot of depth with the euros round the corner a lot of players will be getting itchy feet. 

We are interested in Gallagher.

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Never heard of him, looked him up and he sounds like a class younger player and is 6ft so not a smurf for a change.

Doubt chelsea would sell surely and he did well for a youngster at swansea last season - 21 games, 0 goals and 6 assists.

Describes himself as a box to box midfielder and enjoyed going to swansea as he was allowed to be more creative apparently, I'm reading that as got to go forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

almost everyone is skint this summer, so the prices ought to be lower. Wait till next summer and although we may have a few more quid, so will everyone else, so the prices will increase.

Just now, Chez said:

almost everyone is skint this summer, so the prices ought to be lower. Wait till next summer and although we may have a few more quid, so will everyone else, so the prices will increase.

Apart from Chelsea!

Talking of loans, they may have a few worth looking at once the window draws to a close.

Loftus Cheek?

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Apart from Chelsea!

Talking of loans, they may have a few worth looking at once the window draws to a close.

Loftus Cheek?

like the sound of that. Only trouble is the wages. The bog clubs pay a fucking fortune.  Loftus Cheek will probably want to stay in London.

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Never heard of him, looked him up and he sounds like a class younger player and is 6ft so not a smurf for a change.

Doubt chelsea would sell surely and he did well for a youngster at swansea last season - 21 games, 0 goals and 6 assists.

Describes himself as a box to box midfielder and enjoyed going to swansea as he was allowed to be more creative apparently, I'm reading that as got to go forward.

Hadn't heard of him before he moved to Charlton on loan.  Scored a few goals for them and got really good reviews.

Pretty sure he's bound for Palace on loan -- Alan Nixon has been saying for a while that Chelsea are waiting on him to sign a new deal before they green-light the loan.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Apart from Chelsea!

Loftus Cheek?

ALWAYS worth looking at Chelsea.  Cork, Romeu & Berty worked out great for us.

They have ridiculous recruitment at youth level.

Edited by SuperSAINT

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

like the sound of that. Only trouble is the wages. The bog clubs pay a fucking fortune.  Loftus Cheek will probably want to stay in London.

He's had a lot of injury problems, but he strikes me as the sort of mobile/forward thinking midfielder we lack.

It's not like we're 300 miles from London, pretty much straight up the m3. Bertrand lives just outside of London anyway, so I can't see that being a problem.

Plus, once he see's west quay and the Marland's, there's no going back to London.

West Ham have a fan base that can never be pleased. Complaining about a lack of investment despite reportedly putting in a £27m bid for Tarkowski and just last year they spent £24m on Fornals, £45m on Haller and £22m on  Bowen. £36m on Felipe Anderson the year before that.

The Allardyce saga as well, who wasn't playing the "West Ham Way".

4 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

West Ham have a fan base that can never be pleased. Complaining about a lack of investment despite reportedly putting in a £27m bid for Tarkowski and just last year they spent £24m on Fornals, £45m on Haller and £22m on  Bowen. £36m on Felipe Anderson the year before that.

When you’re convinced you’re level with Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal as a big London club, that tends to happen.

14 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I tend to agree. Maybe a loan, but then they'd want to play as much as possible and would need to be real competition for Romeu, but possibly an Armstrong type signing - older and with reasonable experience - who can offer an alternative to Smallbone etc off the bench or if we get injuries.

9 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Yep. What sort of fan base would complain about the style of football when it’s led them to a relatively successful season? 

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Broke the FFP rules...and still going...

hasn't FFP rules been stood down at the moment?

if they were ever really a thing?

Silva is awesome of football manager anyway 😎

Edited by Batman

£3.5m for Boufal? Absolute loose change again, but what can you do. I guess if you add up all of his previous loans we may have recouped close to 8 or so mill for him, but whatever is said, he has been a catastrophic signing and a financial disaster for a club of our size.

14 minutes ago, Batman said:

hasn't FFP rules been stood down at the moment?

I think FFP rules have been allowed to be spread over 2 years so this season and next, which gives clubs more wiggle room I think.

Its part of the reason why Chelsea can spend so much and why City could have apparently afforded Messi. 

11 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I think FFP rules have been allowed to be spread over 2 years so this season and next, which gives clubs more wiggle room I think.

Its part of the reason why Chelsea can spend so much and why City could have apparently afforded Messi. 

No more excuses for Gao, I bet he can't wait! I look forward to his imminent investment.

26 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I dunno, but the article is written by the editor-in-chief and they have 1.1 million followers.

Cheers. Decent source then. 

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

£3.5m for Boufal? Absolute loose change again, but what can you do. I guess if you add up all of his previous loans we may have recouped close to 8 or so mill for him, but whatever is said, he has been a catastrophic signing and a financial disaster for a club of our size.

It’s an interesting one because you would expect the club to not want to miss out on a fee but he could be tricky to replace.  I expected him to want to leave on a free.

Djenepo isn’t fit often either which would leave us quite light.

We were linked with the polish winger a while back for around £3m.

Yeah, Redmond, Djenepo and Boufal looks like as good depth as we're going to get for wide options, but if Boufal goes then I feel that we're going to need to replace him. Even though the latter two were non-existent once football restarted and we hit our best form.

44 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yep - but would good to get rid of these chumps asap.

If we sell Boufal on top of letting Hojbjerg go then all of a sudden the depth of the squad is looking a thin. If Redmond or Ward Prowse get injured then I think we'd find ourselves in a bit of trouble. I'd be a bit disappointed if we didn't bring at least one more player in before the window shuts. 

9 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

If we sell Boufal on top of letting Hojbjerg go then all of a sudden the depth of the squad is looking a thin. If Redmond or Ward Prowse get injured then I think we'd find ourselves in a bit of trouble. I'd be a bit disappointed if we didn't bring at least one more player in before the window shuts. 

I agree, but we were skint pre covid and our sponsors left a £7.5m hole. I think we'llhave to get by with the bare bones plus those we can't shift sadly.