Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Touché. Although people who are more in the know and work in our recruitment team would tell you it was a deal all but wrapped up long before this summer and we waited due to a mixture of funds and felt the timing wasn't right. Hence why it so quickly done when the window was open (Covid complications aside).

Same article also names 3 other players, two of which didn't happen, one did but that was described as unlikely in this article. More bullshit than truth in this article. 

The article mentions four players but only two positions (RB and CB). We bought two out of the four. Those were clearly options, not bullshit.

21 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

The article mentions four players but only two positions (RB and CB). We bought two out of the four. Those were clearly options, not bullshit.

Exactly. Absolutely head mental to think that just because we haven't signed every player that we are potentially interested in that somehow we never had any interest in any of them. 

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly. Absolutely head mental to think that just because we haven't signed every player that we are potentially interested in that somehow we never had any interest in any of them. 

Surely if we are potentially interested in a player we cannot “never had any interest in any of them”???

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Surely if we are potentially interested in a player we cannot “never had any interest in any of them”???

You misunderstand. The contention is that if there are reports in the media that we are interested, fabrice seems to be suggesting that these reports are not true or made up. He also uses examples of where there have been reports that we were interested in a player who then doesn't sign as proof of some of these made up reports. 

The reality of course is that we have interests in multiple players for the same position and so obviously we aren't going to sign more than one player to fill one role or position. Maehle for instance we probably were interested in as was widely reported but we ended our interest once we signed up kwp. Not signing a player is not proof that articles or journalists have invented stories of our interest. 

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You misunderstand. The contention is that if there are reports in the media that we are interested, fabrice seems to be suggesting that these reports are not true or made up. He also uses examples of where there have been reports that we were interested in a player who then doesn't sign as proof of some of these made up reports. 

The reality of course is that we have interests in multiple players for the same position and so obviously we aren't going to sign more than one player to fill one role or position. Maehle for instance we probably were interested in as was widely reported but we ended our interest once we signed up kwp. Not signing a player is not proof that articles or journalists have invented stories of our interest. 

It’s Soggy, of course he misunderstands

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, wooley7 said:

Has become the most tedious poster on here.

Yeah, it starts with a vaguely amusing twist/idea...such as his witty claim to be ITK. You sort of smile the first few times you hear it.

But God, it gets rather wearing and tedious after a while. Deeply tedious, in fact.

On 02/09/2020 at 03:52, SaintBobby said:

Yeah, it starts with a vaguely amusing twist/idea...such as his witty claim to be ITK. You sort of smile the first few times you hear it.

But God, it gets rather wearing and tedious after a while. Deeply tedious, in fact.

More tedious than MLG? This is a badge of honour i will wear with pride!

Saw a couple of articles yesterday, although unable to post the links at the time as ceess to the forum not available (and now unable to find them!):

Eintracht Franfurt have turned down a £20m bid suggested from us for Hinterigger

Orel Mangala - his club now want c £20m for him and linked elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Saw a couple of articles yesterday, although unable to post the links at the time as ceess to the forum not available (and now unable to find them!):

Eintracht Franfurt have turned down a £20m bid suggested from us for Hinterigger

Orel Mangala - his club now want c £20m for him and linked elsewhere.

Pretty sure it was Fulham that are after Hinteregger, I can't see us buying another CB unless Vesty is off.

IMO, we only really need a CM player at this point.

We've got 4 strikers, 4 attacking mids for the two positions, 2 players each for the full back spots, 3 solid CBs (maybe need 1 more there), but only 3 CM for the two spots - and these are our most worked players and most likely to pick up suspensions.

29 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We've got 4 strikers, 4 attacking mids for the two positions, 2 players each for the full back spots, 3 solid CBs (maybe need 1 more there), but only 3 CM for the two spots - and these are our most worked players and most likely to pick up suspensions.

I agree that our biggest need is now in central midfield to replace Hojbjerg. However, that doesn't rule out the possibility that we might sign a central defender if we feel he can be utilised in central midfield. I thought the rumours that we were interested in Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic were interesting in that regard as he can play as either a central defender or central midfielder. Unfortunately, it looks more like that Ajer will go to Liverpool or Milan than Saints - clearly Liverpool have worked out that they can sign players from Celtic before we do to save themselves some money!

It is also interesting to see rumours linking us with Balogun from Arsenal. While I agree that we don't need another striker now, the fact that he is only 17 suggests the possibility that we could add him to our academy and develop him as a star for the future. Of course, such a step would increase competition for Obafemi, N'Lundulu and others.

Talking of N'Lundulu, I can't see him listed in the newly-updated squad profiles on the OS. Is he going out on loan or has someone inadvertently missed him out - perhaps due to uncertainty about whether to list him with the first team or under-23s?

31 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I agree that our biggest need is now in central midfield to replace Hojbjerg. However, that doesn't rule out the possibility that we might sign a central defender if we feel he can be utilised in central midfield. I thought the rumours that we were interested in Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic were interesting in that regard as he can play as either a central defender or central midfielder. Unfortunately, it looks more like that Ajer will go to Liverpool or Milan than Saints - clearly Liverpool have worked out that they can sign players from Celtic before we do to save themselves some money!

It is also interesting to see rumours linking us with Balogun from Arsenal. While I agree that we don't need another striker now, the fact that he is only 17 suggests the possibility that we could add him to our academy and develop him as a star for the future. Of course, such a step would increase competition for Obafemi, N'Lundulu and others.

Talking of N'Lundulu, I can't see him listed in the newly-updated squad profiles on the OS. Is he going out on loan or has someone inadvertently missed him out - perhaps due to uncertainty about whether to list him with the first team or under-23s?

Balogun is 19. And his path is blocked at Arsenal to the first team so if we signed him he’d want to play first team football. Arsenal fans really rate him but Arteta seemingly prefers Nketiah. Had we not signed Long on a new two year deal I could see this happening. I can’t  now unless we plan on loaning out Obafemi.

Agree that we need a CM more than any other. Vestergaard as a 4th choice CB is fine, so we are stocked there. I would have said we need an AM but it seems Boufal is staying for his last season. The only positions that worry me after CM (which I’m sure we will rectify by the October deadline) is the full-back back ups, with a lot of faith put in Valery and Vokins if KWP or Bertrand get injured long term.

48 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Well run club, Leicester.

Lose a key player and they have a replacement straight away using those funds. I don't think we're that badly run these days, we just need to get rid of more to free up the space for our PEH replacement. Issues from the past!

They copied us remember. Les told us that.

46 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Balogun is 19. And his path is blocked at Arsenal to the first team so if we signed him he’d want to play first team football. Arsenal fans really rate him but Arteta seemingly prefers Nketiah. Had we not signed Long on a new two year deal I could see this happening. I can’t  now unless we plan on loaning out Obafemi.

Agree that we need a CM more than any other. Vestergaard as a 4th choice CB is fine, so we are stocked there. I would have said we need an AM but it seems Boufal is staying for his last season. The only positions that worry me after CM (which I’m sure we will rectify by the October deadline) is the full-back back ups, with a lot of faith put in Valery and Vokins if KWP or Bertrand get injured long term.

This is when the Chelsea model would work for us. Shame we don’t have the cash to buy him and loan him straight out to get championship games weekly, then have him for next season. Promising player but probably wrong time for us.

Random Express link -- Ntcham for £5m (?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southampton have meanwhile not given up on the chase for Celtic midfielder Olivier Ntcham.

Saints manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has been eyeing the French midfielder as a possible replacement for Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, who has joined Tottenham, and Mario Lemina, who has left for Fulham.

Both Porto and and Lyon are also watching the 24-year-old, but neither have yet made a firm bid.

Saints, who are also looking at Celtic’s Norwegian defender Kristoffer Ajer, still want Ntcham if they can get him - with the Scottish champions looking for around £5m for the former Manchester City midfielder.

Hasenhuttl had been hoping to bring Schalke’s Weston McKennie to the Premier League, but he joined Juventus on loan this week, so his attention has switched back to Ntcham.

Since signing from City, where he never made a senior appearance, in 2017, Ntcham has scored 23 goals in 123 appearances in all competitions for Celtic.

He has played in all of the Hoops' four Scottish Premiership matches this season, starting both of the last two.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1331092/Premier-League-transfer-news-Newcastle-Bournemouth-Southampton-Celtic-Fulham-Lyon

10 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Random Express link -- Ntcham for £5m (?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southampton have meanwhile not given up on the chase for Celtic midfielder Olivier Ntcham.

Saints manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has been eyeing the French midfielder as a possible replacement for Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, who has joined Tottenham, and Mario Lemina, who has left for Fulham.

Both Porto and and Lyon are also watching the 24-year-old, but neither have yet made a firm bid.

Saints, who are also looking at Celtic’s Norwegian defender Kristoffer Ajer, still want Ntcham if they can get him - with the Scottish champions looking for around £5m for the former Manchester City midfielder.

Hasenhuttl had been hoping to bring Schalke’s Weston McKennie to the Premier League, but he joined Juventus on loan this week, so his attention has switched back to Ntcham.

Since signing from City, where he never made a senior appearance, in 2017, Ntcham has scored 23 goals in 123 appearances in all competitions for Celtic.

He has played in all of the Hoops' four Scottish Premiership matches this season, starting both of the last two.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1331092/Premier-League-transfer-news-Newcastle-Bournemouth-Southampton-Celtic-Fulham-Lyon

£5m surely a typo?

21 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Agree we need a cm but tbh If you say we got 4 strikers when you count obafemi who is basically promoted youth player still could also count Smallbone etc in cms.

i still think our strike force is a bit worrying bar ings who is obviously awesome. Adams is a bit of a unknown still and oba and long just doesn’t scream goals..

I’d still like another one in but not holding my breath 

21 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Agree we need a cm but tbh If you say we got 4 strikers when you count obafemi who is basically promoted youth player still could also count Smallbone etc in cms.

i still think our strike force is a bit worrying bar ings who is obviously awesome. Adams is a bit of a unknown still and oba and long just doesn’t scream goals..

I’d still like another one in but not holding my breath 

2 hours ago, trousers said:

What's "intriguing" about Bednarek's contract? (apologies if I'm missing something obvious... it's been a long week!)

That we signed him as a relative rookie who was 4th choice, has become a regular starter for Poland and Saints no1 CB and is still on the same contract.

Not a leap to suggest that with less than two years to go Saints are trying to extend it, and seemingly would be a no brainer pay rise for JB but yet it hasn't happened...yet.

Having seen what PEH (and Cedric) did running theirs down and the moves they got then perhaps his plan is similar.

Who knows for now, but if it gets to Christmas without an extension then I think that above scenario is most likely to be the case.

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Shocked Diangana was for sale. Would have loved to have see him here.

Good article about it in The Athletic.  Neither Moyes or Bilic expected it to happen..

West Ham need to sell-to-buy.  They basically expected to lose Rice (or others) but nothing transpired, so they had to sell him instead to fund defensive reinforcements.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

That we signed him as a relative rookie who was 4th choice, has become a regular starter for Poland and Saints no1 CB and is still on the same contract.

Not a leap to suggest that with less than two years to go Saints are trying to extend it, and seemingly would be a no brainer pay rise for JB but yet it hasn't happened...yet.

Having seen what PEH (and Cedric) did running theirs down and the moves they got then perhaps his plan is similar.

Who knows for now, but if it gets to Christmas without an extension then I think that above scenario is most likely to be the case.

unless we make a contract offer that is too good to turn down, his agent will string it out, knowing that their position strengthens every month (assuming he is playing of course). Saints on the other hand will be up against it financially due to the pandemic, so won't be keen to offer £100k a week type deals. I'm interested to get peoples thoughts on his value to the side.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

unless we make a contract offer that is too good to turn down, his agent will string it out, knowing that their position strengthens every month (assuming he is playing of course). Saints on the other hand will be up against it financially due to the pandemic, so won't be keen to offer £100k a week type deals. I'm interested to get peoples thoughts on his value to the side.

I think he is a good, no nonsense defender who does the basics well, isn't really rash and is always available.

Our first choice CB so Saints will certainly be keen to keep him longer term - which is why I think the lack of a new contract is more likely down to him than the club.

39 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Good article about it in The Athletic.  Neither Moyes or Bilic expected it to happen..

West Ham need to sell-to-buy.  They basically expected to lose Rice (or others) but nothing transpired, so they had to sell him instead to fund defensive reinforcements.

Maybe so, but that kid has an absolutely huge future in the game. 

23 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Incredible thing for the captain to come out with. Not a happy dressing room I guess.

Cheeky bet on WH to go down perhaps.

Unhappy dressing room, manager who has peaked, another season of West Ham beating us twice, looking in relegation danger but escaping with two weeks to spare is worth putting your mortgage on

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

West Ham fans on KUMB are a bit cross over the Diangana sale, I read it as they believe GSB are asset stripping them. Anderson may soon be off to Arsenal too on a cheap loan. They're not exactly blessed with attacking options and yet Moyes wants to strengthen Central Defence which for me, a non-fan looking in, is possibly their strongest position after Rice and Soucek in midfield.

Crazy club...and there was me tipping them to have a decent season! Watch Chelsea swoop for Rice late in the window...

Just listening to LBC and a reporter said he was a Saints fan. Presenter Andrew Castle said he was a mate of Ryan Bertrand’s. ‘I hope he stays’, says Castle. Bit odd. Thought he was signed up. Then I see us linked to a new right back Czech Republic player on Instagram. Weird.