Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

39 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Yeah, Redmond, Djenepo and Boufal looks like as good depth as we're going to get for wide options, but if Boufal goes then I feel that we're going to need to replace him. Even though the latter two were non-existent once football restarted and we hit our best form.

Josh Sims? 

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Smallbone has been the backup to Armstrong on the right, Djenepo the backup to Redmond on the left. Plus Tella could be the youth option as a 5th choice attacking midfielder

Tella is a million miles from the Premier league. 

22 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Egg is right...Tella is nowhere near good enough and the jury is definitely still out with regard to Smallbone.    If there's no replacement for PEH then trouble ahead.

Agree that I'd be happier seeing a replacement for Hojbjerg (only backup to challenge Romeu, we won't be wasting money on a first choice).

But Tella hasn't had a chance to show yet and Smallbone is very promising. Even if Boufal goes, we don't need to spend on a replacement. 

Worth noting that when Ralph arrived he said he wanted to work with a first team squad of around 20. As it stands we have

McCarthy, Forster/Gunn (counting this as 2 as one of Gunn or Forster will likely be out)

Bertrand, KWP, Valery, Vokins 

Stephens, Bednarek, Salisu, Vestergaard

JWP, Romeu, Smallbone

Armstrong, Djenepo, Redmond, Boufal

Ings, Adams, Long, Obafemi

So that is 21 players. I think if we ship out Boufal and Vestergaard and bring in a CM then that is probably the ideal squad size with Smallbone being able to cover both the CM and AM positions. Don't personally think Boufal will need replacing. Also, good to try and leave a path for youth. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Worth noting that when Ralph arrived he said he wanted to work with a first team squad of around 20.

Possible his opinion may have changed since his arrival given the intensity of the Premier League is generally higher than the Budesliga.

I think Vestergaard will be a hard sale and the player isn't bothered about sitting on the bench.

Are people saying "Tella isn't good enough" as in: "I've seen enough of him to inform me that he'll never reach premier League standard" or are they saying it as in: "he's not good enough yet but still has potential to reach premier League standard"

If the latter, then he's a decent enough 5th choice, if the former then why have Saints bothered listing him in this season's first team squad in the first place...?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, trousers said:

Are people saying "Tella isn't good enough" as in: "I've seen enough of him to inform me that he'll never reach premier League standard" or are they saying it as in: "he's not good enough yet but still has potential to reach premier League standard"

If the latter, then he's a decent enough 5th choice, if the former then why have Saints bothered listing him in this season's first team squad in the first place...?

I've seen him a couple of times and haven't seen anything to suggest he'll ever be a premier league player. We have Slattery back and if he's back in Ralph's good books, he may be the cover. 

What about Enzo Robise? I thought he was supposed to be the next big thing?

I still think we need a box to box midfielder someone who can break up play get the ball forwards and link the attack essentially a Hoijberg who can actually pass a football...

I'm not fussed if Boufal goes he is to inconsistent. 

Letting Boufal go at that price makes no sense, he is a perfect option off the bench To change a game and we would just have an untested youngster take his place.

Forget about a replacement.

This is a move which screams we are skint and we are saving as much wages as possible.

letting him go cheaper than Hoedt potentially is an insult to his talent

28 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Letting Boufal go at that price makes no sense, he is a perfect option off the bench To change a game and we would just have an untested youngster take his place.

This is a move which screams we are skint and we are saving as much wages as possible.

Trouble is, Boufal is in the last year of his contract.  

29 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

It's a pittance, for sure. But for the money we'd save on wages, it's probably worth it. Another big signing which went horribly wrong.

He seems like a good lad, good attitude, clearly talented, but he seems to lack the physical attributes or footballing awareness to cope with the pace of this league. He'd be a decent player (not a world beater) in a league like La Liga, just not the PL.

8 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Trouble is, Boufal is in the last year of his contract.  

I know this but footballing wise it would be impossible to replace him with the money we receive and the wages saved.

might as well keep as we know he can contribute.

His case isn t the same as Carillo Hoedt Lemina who we know haven t got a chance of getting a look in here.

31 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I know this but footballing wise it would be impossible to replace him with the money we receive and the wages saved.

might as well keep as we know he can contribute.

His case isn t the same as Carillo Hoedt Lemina who we know haven t got a chance of getting a look in here.

Boufal is probably the only one I would agree it's worth keeping to let him go for free. We aren't going to get better than him for what someone would pay, and as we won't be replacing him as we can't afford it we don't need to worry about getting his wages off the bill until next summer, so keep him as backup and let him leave next summer. 

Carrillo, Hoedt, Lemina I would let go for a couple million each. 

2 hours ago, egg said:

I've seen him a couple of times and haven't seen anything to suggest he'll ever be a premier league player. We have Slattery back and if he's back in Ralph's good books, he may be the cover. 

If I was MLG, I might be inclined to say: "a couple of times isn't anywhere near long enough to judge a player that definitively". But I'm not, so I won't... ;)

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

If I was MLG, I might be inclined to say: "a couple of times isn't anywhere near long enough to judge a player that definitively". But I'm not, so I won't... ;)

Ha! He may have enough, hopefully so as I think it inevitable we'll be relying on youth as cover. 

If we get £3.5m for Boufal then I would take it.

We are obviously not going to offer him a new contract, he won't be a starter and we have cover in Djenepo and Smallbone.

We will likely lose Carillo, Hoedt, Lemina for free so saving the wages and getting a little bit extra seems sensible, especially as he won't be going to a PL rival.

Edited by Dusic

18 hours ago, Chez said:

what makes you say that? Do you think all our targets have gone elsewhere?

Double negative apologies I phrased that in a confusing way. I think we will sign a cm. I think we haven't got the main one we wanted so we will probably move down the list. I can't see how we can justify selling hojbjerg and Reed and then not bringing in a replacement. We shall see. 

I'm in the keep Boufal camp. It's a long season and from what we've seen of Djenepo, he has ability to pick up knocks and things. Boufal has talent (though we've rarely seen it) and whilst he isn't currently threatening Redmond or Armstrong, he's a good player to have in the squad especially for cup games. £3.5 million is peanuts, unless we can bring in a senior player for similar money (or miraculously more) then I'd be keeping Boufal for this season and let him go on a free at the end of the season. Sims and Hesketh aren't the answer and Ferry and Tella are untested. Ok as 5th choice maybe but not 4th. 

Unless the idea is to sign Balogun and go balls out attack! In Ralph we trust I guess.

Boufal has flattered to deceive and can be bloody frustrating.

But at 75mins in a closely fought Prem game I think most opposition full backs would be rather more worried as he's brought on than one of our academy prospects. Feels like maybe a luxury our owner does not wish to pay for though.

4 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

We're not skint. No matter how hard he tries, Boufal doesn't fit into Ralph's mould. Keeping him would cost £6m at least with wages and we'd get nothing next year. The alternative is far better: £6m towards the DM backup that is more important.

Trust in Armstrong, Redmond, Djenepo, Smallbone, maybe Sims and even Obafemi for the AM role 

First off, I'm a fan of Boufal - I think he's got more talent than probably most of the squad but it's pretty obvious that he doesn't have a (long term) future at Saints and it's very unlikely he'll ever be considered a first team player next season.  If that's the case then all he's doing is blocking the path from the youth team to the first team.  To be honest I'm not sure about Smallbone but if Boufal is holding back his development then there's not much point in keeping Boufal.  Different if he were integral to the first team but he's not.  Sadly it's one of those transfers that hasn't worked out and if we can get some money for a player that isn't going to get many minutes and is going to leave for free at the end of the season anyway then we may as well take it.

7 hours ago, trousers said:

6 hours ago, egg said:

I've seen him a couple of times and haven't seen anything to suggest he'll ever be a premier league player. 

1 hour ago, LeG said:

Tella is really good and RH loves him. 

Damn... Now I'm *really* confused... :)

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

We're not skint. No matter how hard he tries, Boufal doesn't fit into Ralph's mould. Keeping him would cost £6m at least with wages and we'd get nothing next year. The alternative is far better: £6m towards the DM backup that is more important.

Trust in Armstrong, Redmond, Djenepo, Smallbone, maybe Sims and even Obafemi for the AM role 

Agree with your assessment of Boufal and conclusion, but differ on some of the other points you make.

We need a DM starter rather than just backup.

Might be a step too far simply to put our trust in Smallbone, and moreso Sims and Obafemi.

None of us know if we're skint, but we're certainly not flush for cash (though no team outside the big 6 are), and it does seem we have to sell before buying, as much as anything to rid ourselves of wages.

1 hour ago, LeG said:

Not sure what the thinking is with Boufal at the mo, but id be up for selling if it funds Jozwiak

Are we defo keen on Jozwiak? Someone posted an article linking him to Saints a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything since. Looks like an archetypal Hassenhutl type of player so wouldn't surprise me

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Are we defo keen on Jozwiak? Someone posted an article linking him to Saints a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything since.

The only other side I've read linked with him were Derby so either we've seen something no other EPL club have or he isn't so shit hot.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

The only other side I've read linked with him were Derby so either we've seen something no other EPL club have or he isn't so shit hot.

I guess Mané joined us in similar circumstances (for example) so maybe it's more a case of other prem clubs not being prepared to take a risk on potential as much as we are?

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

Agree with your assessment of Boufal and conclusion, but differ on some of the other points you make.

We need a DM starter rather than just backup.

Might be a step too far simply to put our trust in Smallbone, and moreso Sims and Obafemi.

None of us know if we're skint, but we're certainly not flush for cash (though no team outside the big 6 are), and it does seem we have to sell before buying, as much as anything to rid ourselves of wages.

Martin Semmens specifically said the other day we don't need to sell before buying, but will only buy the right player for us at the right price. It's not going to be a DM starter but hopefully someone pushing to start before the season's out. Someone like Armstrong who had a slow start but is now integral.

18 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Martin Semmens specifically said the other day we don't need to sell before buying, but will only buy the right player for us at the right price. It's not going to be a DM starter but hopefully someone pushing to start before the season's out. Someone like Armstrong who had a slow start but is now integral.

No I don't think that's true. We clearly wanted a dm starter. We haven't got our first choice and so may have to look down the list for someone with potential. It's certainly our aim to buy someone who slots straight in but thays not always possible. We wanted the bloke who has ended up at juventus. 

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Boufal is probably the only one I would agree it's worth keeping to let him go for free. We aren't going to get better than him for what someone would pay, and as we won't be replacing him as we can't afford it we don't need to worry about getting his wages off the bill until next summer, so keep him as backup and let him leave next summer. 

Carrillo, Hoedt, Lemina I would let go for a couple million each. 

Thing is you couldn’t give them away. You would probably have to pay to get rid of them......

Clubs are starting to get busy now with six days until the season's start. Wolves have brought in two this weekend, Newcastle bringing in Wilson, Fraser and Lewis, Sheffield United bringing in Lowe, Bogle and Burke, West Brom - Diangana, Button and Robinson, Leeds are reportedly close to a couple more £10m plus signings

3 hours ago, adriansfc said:

They all needed more signings didn't they. We have a settled first 11 and needed a RB and CB which we got. 

Hojbjerg wasn't playing much anyway but I'm sure we'll invest there. Better to wait and get the right man than rush for the season opener. Loads of players and agents will always wait until near deadline to get the best deal. 

Only signings there I'd want would be Fraser and Silva. One wanted ridiculous wages the other a ridiculous fee and still very young. 

Didn't Hoj only really get dropped when he started talking openly about his desire to leave? Hard to keep picking the captain under those circumstances, especially when his performances dip, as they did quite early after the restart.

4 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Didn't Hoj only really get dropped when he started talking openly about his desire to leave? Hard to keep picking the captain under those circumstances, especially when his performances dip, as they did quite early after the restart.

He got injured in the second match after the restart. He wasn't really dropped. He was starting until the knock. Romeu came in and did all right so the manager stuck with him.

• Like 1

I think we have a good first 11 - but we don't really have any depth to the squad.  If we get one or two injuries in the first 11 we will be in trouble:-

McCarthy / Gunn / Forster / Lewis

KWP / Valery / Ramsay?

Stephens / Vestergaard

Bednarek / Salisu

Bertrand / Vokins / McQueen?

JWP / Smallbone

Romeu / Slattery? / Jankewitz?

Armstrong / Sims? / Hesketh?

Redmond / Djneppo

Adams / Obafemi

Ings / Long

If both JWP and Armstrong are out injured with start to look very stretched - maybe Ntcham would be a good fit provide competition for both the CM and AM roles - or maybe we need another attacking player to provide competition for Amstrong so he can drop back to the CM role.

I feel we need at least one or two more players to cover the first 11 - ideally a central midfielder and an attacking player.

I doesn't sound like McQueen has recovered from his injury - and both Sims and Hesketh have a year left on their contracts which suggests they will be leaving in this transfer window.  Same with Boufal.  Romeu has a year left as well.   And I am not sure where Slattery sits - hopefully Ralph thinks he is good enough to play in the first 11.  

I am guessing the problem is probably wages - our wage bill was too high anyway (and that's with Carillo, Hoedt, Lemina, Forster and Elyonoussi out on loan and probably with wages subsidised by Saints)  - but with the loss of TV revenue from Covid, the LD Sports and Kit fiasco and the loss of gate money its probably even more of an issue now.

It's possible that the money made from selling Reed and getting Lemina of the wage bill has already been earmarked to fill this gap - and it could be the same with any money made from selling Boufal and Hoedt - that if its not used up in paying them off to get rid of them.

I think it will be next season before we can really strengthen the team as we will finally be able to shift players like Hoedt, Vestergaard, Lemina and Forster as they will only have a year left on their contracts - and others like Carillo and Boufal will be out of contract. 

Maybe the answer is to use Sims and Hesketh as cover this season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm very confident we will be getting signings. Two out and two in. Salisu is injured but should be OK in a few weeks and seems like a cracking player. 

Assume one is DM (Hojbjerg replacement). Any insight on the other position? Cheers