Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

On 06/09/2020 at 12:41, TWar said:

Worth noting that when Ralph arrived he said he wanted to work with a first team squad of around 20. As it stands we have

McCarthy, Forster/Gunn (counting this as 2 as one of Gunn or Forster will likely be out)

Bertrand, KWP, Valery, Vokins 

Stephens, Bednarek, Salisu, Vestergaard

JWP, Romeu, Smallbone

Armstrong, Djenepo, Redmond, Boufal

Ings, Adams, Long, Obafemi

So that is 21 players. I think if we ship out Boufal and Vestergaard and bring in a CM then that is probably the ideal squad size with Smallbone being able to cover both the CM and AM positions. Don't personally think Boufal will need replacing. Also, good to try and leave a path for youth. 

When you lay the squad out like that, CM is an obvious gap that needs filling IMO, unless Smallbone is a realistic starter. We can't expect JWP and Romeu to be fit/not suspended and on form the entire season. They both put a shift in and having an option off the bench would be handy when they tire. From what little I have seen Smallbone has the ability with the ball, but someone will need to advise me whether he does enough (well) without it.

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

I think we have a good first 11 - but we don't really have any depth to the squad.  If we get one or two injuries in the first 11 we will be in trouble:-

McCarthy / Gunn / Forster / Lewis

KWP / Valery / Ramsay?

Stephens / Vestergaard

Bednarek / Salisu

Bertrand / Vokins / McQueen?

JWP / Smallbone

Romeu / Slattery? / Jankewitz?

Armstrong / Sims? / Hesketh?

Redmond / Djneppo

Adams / Obafemi

Ings / Long

If both JWP and Armstrong are out injured with start to look very stretched - maybe Ntcham would be a good fit provide competition for both the CM and AM roles - or maybe we need another attacking player to provide competition for Amstrong so he can drop back to the CM role.

I feel we need at least one or two more players to cover the first 11 - ideally a central midfielder and an attacking player.

I doesn't sound like McQueen has recovered from his injury - and both Sims and Hesketh have a year left on their contracts which suggests they will be leaving in this transfer window.  Same with Boufal.  Romeu has a year left as well.   And I am not sure where Slattery sits - hopefully Ralph thinks he is good enough to play in the first 11.  

I am guessing the problem is probably wages - our wage bill was too high anyway (and that's with Carillo, Hoedt, Lemina, Forster and Elyonoussi out on loan and probably with wages subsidised by Saints)  - but with the loss of TV revenue from Covid, the LD Sports and Kit fiasco and the loss of gate money its probably even more of an issue now.

It's possible that the money made from selling Reed and getting Lemina of the wage bill has already been earmarked to fill this gap - and it could be the same with any money made from selling Boufal and Hoedt - that if its not used up in paying them off to get rid of them.

I think it will be next season before we can really strengthen the team as we will finally be able to shift players like Hoedt, Vestergaard, Lemina and Forster as they will only have a year left on their contracts - and others like Carillo and Boufal will be out of contract. 

Maybe the answer is to use Sims and Hesketh as cover this season.

It doesn't look very good when you write it down like that does it.

You posit what might happen if we get a few injuries which is almost certainly going to happen at some stage but let me also ask what happens if we start badly and we start struggling near the bottom again.

Most on here seem to have dismissed this possibility on the basis of the end of season run that saw us storm the last 9 matches of the season and move up the table. It is assumed we will just carry on as before but what if we don't and the **** starts flying about again. Very few of our second string choices seem capable of stepping up to the plate if push comes to shove and we need new energy, new options and a new direction.

I'd be pretty happy with just one decent centre mid as our remaining buy.

Our depth generally seems reasonable and provides opportunities for our academy products.

Even if Boufal goes you've got options for fourth choice spot in Smallbone and potentially Sims who have had impact from bench in the past. Wouldn't oppose signing someone else but it isn't as critical as CM.

If anyone hasn't listened to the excellent Martin Semmens interview on TSP then its quite clear we will sign a midfielder.

Also stated RH would prefer to work with a smaller squad that he believes in and that suit the style, rather than have cover for the sake of it. I thought that married up nicely with the Boufal exit talk - he doesn't suit the style and nor does RH believe in him.

From reading between the lines of a couple of things Semmens said I think Saints feel that the other European leagues are/will feel the pinch of the pandemic (yes MLT, there is one) and there might be some bargains to be had as the window draws to a close.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Badger said:

Agree with your assessment of Boufal and conclusion, but differ on some of the other points you make.

We need a DM starter rather than just backup.

Might be a step too far simply to put our trust in Smallbone, and moreso Sims and Obafemi.

None of us know if we're skint, but we're certainly not flush for cash (though no team outside the big 6 are), and it does seem we have to sell before buying, as much as anything to rid ourselves of wages.

Martin Semmens: ‘I think I would be surprised if we didn’t see someone coming into provide cover in that position (central-midfield).’ #saintsfc

Cover. Not a starting replacement.

9 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Martin Semmens: ‘I think I would be surprised if we didn’t see someone coming into provide cover in that position (central-midfield).’ #saintsfc

That could be interpreted differently though, as adding an extra player will give us sufficient cover in that position, with them all competing for a starting place. 

16 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Think you’re reading too much into that, Semmens doesn’t pick the team. 

In my opinion any player coming in to this team needs to be good enough to become a leading/starting player. We had a period where we 'built out' the squad, but it just saddles you with players who are never quite good enough to be regulars.

They may not immediately be at the level fitness/tactically, but eventually they will become starters. If we can get 3 players (KWP/Salisu+ another) of starting quality, then that's a solid window IMO. I think that was Ralph's aim at the start as well. 3 signings, very clever signings to improve the squad.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 hour ago, Appy said:

Think you’re reading too much into that, Semmens doesn’t pick the team. 

But he controls the purse strings. I'd hope that anyone coming in gas the potential to become a starter, but I think his clear meaning is that we won't be spending £20m+ on an established player.

21 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

But he controls the purse strings. I'd hope that anyone coming in gas the potential to become a starter, but I think his clear meaning is that we won't be spending £20m+ on an established player.

I don't buy this reading at all. The way he spoke recently to Blackmore saying things like "We do not need to sell to buy" and "[With COVID] there will be opportunities to get players who we normally wouldn't be able to" very much seems like we may buy someone a bit special.

23 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

we were prepared to spend a fair bit on Mckennie and he'd be a starter, i think you're reading too much into his wording mate. 

Semmens was very clear in his interview that he/Ralph want to start the season with the same regular 11 that did so well after the restart. So I'm pretty sure his use of the phrase "provide cover" was merely to reinforce that stance rather than implying/suggesting that the incoming player wouldn't be of the same standard as the current players.

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Sell the overpaid dross and get that teun koopmeiners lad 

Nobody will buy them. If they would, I doubt they'd match their wages and the players won't go for a pay cut. If we're paying up say a £30k a week shortfall over 2 years, that's £3m off the top of a transfer fee. 

40 minutes ago, trousers said:

Semmens was very clear in his interview that he/Ralph want to start the season with the same regular 11 that did so well after the restart. So I'm pretty sure his use of the phrase "provide cover" was merely to reinforce that stance rather than implying/suggesting that the incoming player wouldn't be of the same standard as the current players.

Yeah, in the context of the interview he clearly meant cover as in the number of players rather than cover as in signing someone who is only good enough to be cover. He specifically mentioned that we would struggle in central midfield if we had a couple of injuries, which is corrext and obvious.

I have total faith that they know what they are doing, even more so from that interview.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

we were prepared to spend a fair bit on Mckennie and he'd be a starter, i think you're reading too much into his wording mate. 

It's what he said. And Ralph would have decided if he started.

Edited by Shroppie

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

In my opinion any player coming in to this team needs to be good enough to become a leading/starting player. We had a period where we 'built out' the squad, but it just saddles you with players who are never quite good enough to be regulars.

They may not immediately be at the level fitness/tactically, but eventually they will become starters. If we can get 3 players (KWP/Salisu+ another) of starting quality, then that's a solid window IMO. I think that was Ralph's aim at the start as well. 3 signings, very clever signings to improve the squad.

Yep, agreed. We had our best period in recent years when we had the ethos of only signing players who would improve our starting eleven. It was when we got into the Europa League and tried building a bigger squad and fleshing it out that we got a load of average players on good wages, when we could have one star player on their wages with better sell on value to boot.

49 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Yep, agreed. We had our best period in recent years when we had the ethos of only signing players who would improve our starting eleven. It was when we got into the Europa League and tried building a bigger squad and fleshing it out that we got a load of average players on good wages, when we could have one star player on their wages with better sell on value to boot.

The one star player idea is certainly not the way Saints do things, for good reason. It's a team game and single "star" players rarely work.

3 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I'll watch this one with interest. Must be costing a fortune in wages. My guess is the flop of the season.

It doesn't seem to be a crazy deal by Everton, just under £20m guaranteed fee. Just a 2 year deal, option of a third they can take if they want.

He's prob on a decent chunk, but it's a 2 year gamble and they've only paid £20m for him. Gamble worth taking IMO for a player of his undoubted talent and standing in world football. Can't wait to see him in the PL, big fan.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It doesn't seem to be a crazy deal by Everton, just under £20m guaranteed fee. Just a 2 year deal, option of a third they can take if they want.

He's prob on a decent chunk, but it's a 2 year gamble and they've only paid £20m for him. Complete gamble worth taking IMO. Can't wait to see him in the PL, big fan.

Isn't he the third MF player theyve signed ? Allan and Doucoure before.

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Isn't he the third MF player theyve signed ? Allan and Doucoure before.

They've signed Allan, but he's a completely different type of player. Rodriguez will play number 10 or out wide, Allan is a sitting/destructive central midfield player, similar to Doucoure if they get him. They needed to refresh their midfield more than anywhere else.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They've signed Allan, but he's a completely different type of player. Rodriguez will play number 10 or out wide, Allan is a sitting/destructive central midfield player, similar to Doucoure if they get him. They needed to refresh their midfield more than anywhere else.

Everton's spending has been remarkable the last few years in how much money they've wasted.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Everton's spending has been remarkable the last few years in how much money they've wasted.

They're another club who have got their big signings wrong, pretty much every year. The difference between them and us - they go again the next year, as they've got an owner who is prepared to bankroll to an extent.

Now they've got a proper manager in there it may be different.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They're another club who have got their big signings wrong, pretty much every year. The difference between them and us - they go again the next year, as they've got an owner who is prepared to bankroll to an extent.

Now they've got a proper manager in there it may be different.

Your last qualification aside, I'd be careful about the temptation to think it'll go tits up.  Club transfer policies are like quantum physics - you think the outcome is certain but then random shit happens.  

11 hours ago, Verbal said:

Your last qualification aside, I'd be careful about the temptation to think it'll go tits up.  Club transfer policies are like quantum physics - you think the outcome is certain but then random shit happens.  

Agree with this. Looking at the James Rodriguez transfer, im sure we would be over the moon if we signed him but i have a suspicion it wont turn out how they hope. 

Stolen from another footie forum 😉

Arsenal - 5 - £32.1m - Soares (free), Mari (£9.5m), Willian (free), Gabriel (£22.6m), Ceballos (loan)
Aston Villa - 1 - £14m - Cash (£14m)
Brighton - 2 - £900k - Lallana (free), Veltman (£900k)

Burnley - 1 - £0 - Norris (free)
Chelsea - 6 - £186.4m - Ziyech (£33.4m), Werner (£45m), Chilwell (£45m), Sarr (free), Silva (free), Havertz (£63m)
Crystal Palace - 2 - £16m - Ferguson (tribunal), Eze (£16m)
Everton - 2 - £43.7m - Allan (£21.7m), Rodriguez (£22m)

Fulham - 3 - £12m - Robinson (£2m), Reed (£8m), Lemina (£2m loan)

Leeds - 5 - £59.5m - Costa (£16m), Meslier (£5m), Harrison (loan), Rodrigo (£27m), Koch (£11.5m)
Leicester - 1 - £21m - Castagne (£21m)
Liverpool - 1 - £11.75m - Tsimikas (£11.75m)
Man City - 3 - £69.9m - Moreno (£9m), Torres (£20.9m), Ake (£40m)
Man Utd - 2 - £35m - Ighalo (loan), van de Beek (£35m)
Newcastle - 4 - £20m - Gillespie (free), Hendrick (free), Wilson (£20m), Fraser (free)
Sheffield Utd - 5 - £29.5m - Foderingham (free), Ramsdale (£18.5m), Bogle & Lowe (£11m combined), Ampadu (loan)
Southampton - 2 - £22.9m - Walker-Peters (£12m), Salisu (£10.9m)
Tottenham - 3 - £29.7m - Hojbjerg (£15m), Hart (free), Doherty (£14.7m)

West Brom - 3 - £21.9m - Pereira (£9m), Kipre (£900k), Diangana (£12m)
West Ham - 1 - £15m - Soucek (£15m)
Wolves - 3 - £37.4m - Sarkic (free), Silva (£35.6m), Marcal (£1.8m)

Total Signings: 55

Total Spend: £678,650,000

For all the talk of Covid killing the transfer market we're half way to last year's total spend and there is still four weeks left.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He's prob on a decent chunk, but it's a 2 year gamble and they've only paid £20m for him. Gamble worth taking IMO for a player of his undoubted talent and standing in world football. Can't wait to see him in the PL, big fan.

£130k/week apparently. I agree with Shroppie, I reckon he'll be a disappointment either on the pitch or constantly injured. I'm surprised they didn't get him on a loan with an option to buy.

1 hour ago, igsey said:

£130k/week apparently. I agree with Shroppie, I reckon he'll be a disappointment either on the pitch or constantly injured. I'm surprised they didn't get him on a loan with an option to buy.

Yep. The wages add over £13m for two years. How will he adapt to the PL?

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Everton Have some decent midfielders now, They also have Mgambin to come back in too!

Sure they may do OK this season but do they have enough to break into the top 6 which is what they really want? Defensively no for me, even if they get Tomori. And signing ageing players with little resale value isn't exactly planning for the future if Ancelotti gets fed up and leaves. We shall see though. There's bound to be a surprise package. 

Newcastle have been quiet going about their business in a sensible fashion for once. Lewis for the future, Fraser and Wilson to boost their attack and Hendrick all for less than Joelinton cost last season. And with Saint Maximin and Almiron pulling the strings, they should have a decent season. 

22 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

The reported £28m is absolutely mental money for a player that has not played above the Championship!

Watkins scored 3 more goals (25) last season than Che did in his last Championship season in 18/19 (22) and Villa are paying almost double what we paid for Che last summer.

1 minute ago, Saint-Reece said:

The reported £28m is absolutely mental money for a player that has not played above the Championship!

Watkins scored 3 more goals (25) last season than Che did in his last Championship season in 18/19 (22) and Villa are paying almost double what we paid for Che last summer.

Its why I think we haven't bought more players in as of yet, ridiculous prices banded about at the moment for players.