Jump to content

Summer 2020 transfer business


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Saint Pete said:

Very odd one that, initial £12m fee likely according to Guardian. Seems like a great deal from Spurs point of view as always impressed by him when I’ve seen Wolves and thought he was a key player for them.

classic spurs. start tapping up players as they come towards their last year of contract and then low ball once they already have commitment from the player that they are interested in joining them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since when has Crystal Palace been "the pride of South London"?

Bit of a strange signing for them, Eze looked quality from the glimpses I got of QPR last season but it's a Roy Hodgson team. Zaha must be off, no way they play with two tricky pacey wingers, I think Hodgson's heart would give in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Wonder where Zaha is off to? This is obviously a straight replacement for him.

Eze is more Lallana than Zaha but I agree, Zaha is probably off — Palace seem to have had the same attack for 5 years.  They are in for a few attackers by all accounts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, igsey said:

Since when has Crystal Palace been "the pride of South London"?

Bit of a strange signing for them, Eze looked quality from the glimpses I got of QPR last season but it's a Roy Hodgson team. Zaha must be off, no way they play with two tricky pacey wingers, I think Hodgson's heart would give in.

hahahah I thought the same thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Thiago Silva has joined the great Chelsea recruitment drive. 

Their summer window this year feels very reminiscent of their first one under Roman. (When they bought the likes of Glen Johnson, Robben, Mutu - remember him!, Crespo etc). I reckon Loftus Cheek should probably move on and maybe the other fella, Hodson-Odoi (why is he so highly rated by the way? He never seems to produce anything).

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Their summer window this year feels very reminiscent of their first one under Roman. (When they bought the likes of Glen Johnson, Robben, Mutu - remember him!, Crespo etc). I reckon Loftus Cheek should probably move on and maybe the other fella, Hodson-Odoi (why is he so highly rated by the way? He never seems to produce anything).

They've brought in some good players for certain, but too much change is not always a good thing. Gelling lots of new players together who will all arrive expecting to be first team players, not always a recipe for success. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lazy link alert:  Express linking us with Ajer @ Celtic.

-------------------------

Elsewhere, Southampton are chasing Celtic’s giant Norwegian defender Kristoffer Ajer.

Norwegian international Ajer, 22, who stands at six foot six inches tall, wants out of Celtic, and is one of the players manager Neil Lennon is prepared to let go as he rebuilds after his club's Champions League exit at the hands of Ferencvaros this week.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1328656/West-Ham-Leeds-Tottenham-Southampton-Celtic-Wolves-Everton-Newcastle-Latest-Transfer-News

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Lazy link alert:  Express linking us with Ajer @ Celtic.

-------------------------

Elsewhere, Southampton are chasing Celtic’s giant Norwegian defender Kristoffer Ajer.

Norwegian international Ajer, 22, who stands at six foot six inches tall, wants out of Celtic, and is one of the players manager Neil Lennon is prepared to let go as he rebuilds after his club's Champions League exit at the hands of Ferencvaros this week.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1328656/West-Ham-Leeds-Tottenham-Southampton-Celtic-Wolves-Everton-Newcastle-Latest-Transfer-News

Blimey, him, Vestergaard (6’6’’), Gunn (6’5’’) and Fraser (6’7’’), we wouldn’t be short of people to put the fairy on top of the Christmas tree...

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Leeds not messing around 

 

 

It might just be me, but spending around £30m on a 29 year old coming on 30 year old, who'd failed at this level before with Bolton, and only scored a couple of goals last year for Valencia, seems a little bit insane. They haven't learnt then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It might just be me, but spending around £30m on a 29 year old coming on 30 year old, who'd failed at this level before with Bolton, and only scored a couple of goals last year for Valencia, seems a little bit insane. They haven't learnt then.

We shall see. Bielsa is equal parts genius & crazy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Blimey, him, Vestergaard (6’6’’), Gunn (6’5’’) and Fraser (6’7’’), we wouldn’t be short of people to put the fairy on top of the Christmas tree...

Pity the three we've already got are mainly crap and don't use their height to full advantage.

Would have liked Ajer but can't see us being interested having signed Salisu (who may or may not eventually put in an appearance at some stage of the pre-season).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TWar said:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/celtic-transfer-message-ajer-ntcham-4468563 Sounds like Ajer and Ntcham will be off this summer. Be cool if we can snap up one of them, preferably Ntcham.

I'm obviously missing something but I don't understand the enthusiasm for Ntcham:

a) He isn't a certain starter for Celtic playing in an inferior league. Somebody said Armstrong wasn't either (but this was mainly due to injuries)

b) He has a reputation of someone with a poor work rate - not something you want in a Ralph team 

c) He is a nice passer of the ball but isn't renowned for his ball winning abilities - again as a replacement/option for Hojbjerg/Romeu this is a necessity

I could just about see the benefits as a make-weight for Frazier earlier on in the transfer window, but with the loss of Hojbjerg we now need someone to compete with JWP & Romeu as a starter and I'm not keen on spending our limited funds on someone who hasn't been entirely successful in Scottish football. 

As I said at the beginning, maybe I am missing something here .....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@WALK DMC I've not seen him play but at this stage of a very short pre-season, with two weeks to go until the season kicks off, we have 2 natural central midfielders in the squad and the likes of Smallbone, Slattery and Jankewicz backing them up, or playing the likes of Armstrong out of position. So it's probably more desperation from fans that we want to see a central midfielder brought in, and having been linked to Ntcham shows the club were interested in him.

 

I do think it will be rectified and we'll sign one, but time is of the essence, especially if we lose JWP or Romeu to injury early on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

@WALK DMC I've not seen him play but at this stage of a very short pre-season, with two weeks to go until the season kicks off, we have 2 natural central midfielders in the squad and the likes of Smallbone, Slattery and Jankewicz backing them up, or playing the likes of Armstrong out of position. So it's probably more desperation from fans that we want to see a central midfielder brought in, and having been linked to Ntcham shows the club were interested in him.

 

I do think it will be rectified and we'll sign one, but time is of the essence, especially if we lose JWP or Romeu to injury early on.

Thanks @SNSUN.  I agree with your sentiments, but also concerned that we have such reliance on two individuals (although both have good injury records). I recall that post-lockdown we lost two wingers (Djenepo/Boufal) for virtually all the games; we got away with it because we had decent replacements (1st choices); we may not be so lucky if our two defensive midfielders suddenly have to drop out for an extended time. 

Having said that, I would still prefer to get one guaranteed starter than buy 1-2 average players immediately who we are desperately trying to get rid of in 2 years time. That would be my worry with Ntcham.    Some difficult decisions ahead; wait until October and get a bargain (possibly), or dive in now, pay more but provide some immediate cover.  I'd still wait a while for the right midfielder, but recognise that when you take a risk you can end up with egg on your face ..... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Anyone know what ahs happened to Salisu? No sign of him in today's friendly.

I don’t understand why the club aren’t giving fans even a little one liner about what’s happening with him. We don’t need details just whether he’s injured, fitness training or self isolating, that’ll do

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Anyone know what ahs happened to Salisu? No sign of him in today's friendly.

I don’t understand why the club aren’t giving fans even a little one liner about what’s happening with him. We don’t need details just whether he’s injured, fitness training or self isolating, that’ll do

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I don’t understand why the club aren’t giving fans even a little one liner about what’s happening with him. We don’t need details just whether he’s injured, fitness training or self isolating, that’ll do

I have a feeling It’s a permit issue that might see him loaned out this season to fix. Hence why we are being linked with another centre back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

I have a feeling It’s a permit issue that might see him loaned out this season to fix. Hence why we are being linked with another centre back. 

I think he was injured when he arrived. He had missed Valladolid's last few games and his medical was done in Spain according to reports...would hope as thorough as our usual ones.

Work permit had surely been secured already.

Will all come out soon as Ralph will be asked in the pre Palace press about his involvement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

I have a feeling It’s a permit issue that might see him loaned out this season to fix. Hence why we are being linked with another centre back. 

Hadn’t trained or played for 7 weeks so apparently doing a pre-season fitness training away from every day 1st team training 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, saint77 said:

Hadn’t trained or played for 7 weeks so apparently doing a pre-season fitness training away from every day 1st team training 

If it was as simple / innocent as that then we'd still have seen PR photos / initial interview etc, surely?

It's quite clear that the club have a reason that want to conceal why the signing gas gone awry. That's their prerogative of course, but keeping the fans in the dark isn't a very good look...

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, trousers said:

If it was as simple / innocent as that then we'd still have seen PR photos / initial interview etc, surely?

It's quite clear that the club have a reason that want to conceal why the signing gas gone awry. That's their prerogative of course, but keeping the fans in the dark isn't a very good look...

Clubs keep fans in the dark over bad news, it's always the way. Yet they will shout about the good news.

Swansea have kept absolute silence on the game yesterday, yet we're shouting it from the rooftops. Clubs aren't going to want to share bad news.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Clubs keep fans in the dark over bad news, it's always the way. Yet they will shout about the good news.

Swansea have kept absolute silence on the game yesterday, yet we're shouting it from the rooftops. Clubs aren't going to want to share bad news.

Granted, but I would venture that the speculation and ill-feeling that the cloak and dagger approach engenders is more damaging from a PR perspective than just coming out with it in the first place. No-one is asking for intimate details, just what the general gist is. I would have a whole lot more respect for the club than I do right now if they were to be honest with their fans on my occasions such as this. And this is coming from someone who doesn't usually get bothered by this kinda thing. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think that there is no hidden agenda regarding Salisu and it is purely a case that we have bought a 21 year old with bags of potential who needs to be integrated very slowly into the squad. English is not his first language, he has never lived in the UK before, he knows no one here, he's only 21 (a kid) and there is no way he will be at the same fitness levels and sharpness levels as the rest of the squad.

I am making an assumption that Saints are being very careful with this lad not to rush him into the starting lineup before he is 110% ready and end up destroying his confidence. We all know the premiership is savage. Bednarek and Stephens finished the season strongly and will rightly start as our 2 CB's with Vesterguard the back up (unless he moves on).

We all crave news about our players and silence can lead to all sorts of conspiracy theories.....however I don't think that is the case here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I honestly think that there is no hidden agenda regarding Salisu and it is purely a case that we have bought a 21 year old with bags of potential who needs to be integrated very slowly into the squad. English is not his first language, he has never lived in the UK before, he knows no one here, he's only 21 (a kid) and there is no way he will be at the same fitness levels and sharpness levels as the rest of the squad.

He is Ghanaian, a former British colony where English is widely spoken and is the official language of the country. He is fluent in English...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trousers said:

Granted, but I would venture that the speculation and ill-feeling that the cloak and dagger approach engenders is more damaging from a PR perspective than just coming out with it in the first place. No-one is asking for intimate details, just what the general gist is. I would have a whole lot more respect for the club than I do right now if they were to be honest with their fans on my occasions such as this. And this is coming from someone who doesn't usually get bothered by this kinda thing. 

I do agree where you are coming from, it irritates me too. I don't know why everything has to be such cloak and daggers, we are very much the worst at that - in my opinion, we've always been silent and hidden in the background.

I think once the media get back in front of Ralph, you'll start to hear what's going on. I don't believe there's anything odd going on, it's just that the club feel as if there is no real need to tell us anything. But even a one liner such as 'Salisu continues to train alone to build up his individual fitness ahead of the new campaign' would suffice, I'm sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I honestly think that there is no hidden agenda regarding Salisu and it is purely a case that we have bought a 21 year old with bags of potential who needs to be integrated very slowly into the squad. English is not his first language, he has never lived in the UK before, he knows no one here, he's only 21 (a kid) and there is no way he will be at the same fitness levels and sharpness levels as the rest of the squad.

I am making an assumption that Saints are being very careful with this lad not to rush him into the starting lineup before he is 110% ready and end up destroying his confidence. We all know the premiership is savage. Bednarek and Stephens finished the season strongly and will rightly start as our 2 CB's with Vesterguard the back up (unless he moves on).

We all crave news about our players and silence can lead to all sorts of conspiracy theories.....however I don't think that is the case here. 

The oddity to me is that he isn't training with the squad at all. At least from what we can discern.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})