Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

I get all that but you've got to admit that the absence of a solitary photo with the fella holding up a Saints shirt is a tad unusual. No-one's asking an episode of This is Your Life...

Maybe something cropped up personally and he had to return to Spain to sort, and on return he's now entered another quarantine period. Hence the no photos and training alone elements.

42 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Maybe something cropped up personally and he had to return to Spain to sort, and on return he's now entered another quarantine period. Hence the no photos and training alone elements.

Plausible

Edited by trousers

Our (supposed) interest in Celtic's Kristoffer Ajer suggests that either the Salisu transfer has gone pear-shaped or we're entertaining Chelsea's (supposed) interest in Bednarek.

I can't see us spending big money to add two more CBs to the two who performed reasonably adequately last season.

And if we are chatting with Chelsea about Bednarek he probably wouldn't have played yesterday.

If the explanation for Salisu's absence was innocent, the club would have said something. Anything.

3 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

Our (supposed) interest in Celtic's Kristoffer Ajer suggests that either the Salisu transfer has gone pear-shaped or we're entertaining Chelsea's (supposed) interest in Bednarek.

I can't see us spending big money to add two more CBs to the two who performed reasonably adequately last season.

And if we are chatting with Chelsea about Bednarek he probably wouldn't have played yesterday.

If the explanation for Salisu's absence was innocent, the club would have said something. Anything.

How? If he didn't get a work permit Saints wouldn't have to complete the deal.

2 minutes ago, LeG said:

Didnt really want to post but theres no problem with the Salisu xfer. Its a simple reason why hes not in training and perhaps why we were able to sign him over our competitors.

Quarantine? Injured?

27 minutes ago, LeG said:

Didnt really want to post but theres no problem with the Salisu xfer. Its a simple reason why hes not in training and perhaps why we were able to sign him over our competitors.

The only logical explanation that fits that scenario is that he's got a long term injury. Anything short term wouldn't bother any other club that wanted him. All of which suggests we didn't do enough due diligence during the medical...? Or... We knew he was crocked but decided it was better to get him now while we can...?

Edited by trousers

If I were to Hazard a guess. Salisu is a young bloke who has moved from his home country to Spain very, very fast. He picked up a muscle injury and I wonder how much nutrition information / recovery information he's been taught is that short space of time. I think we've  got to get him back to fitness again.

also note that Ntcham played in a number 10 role for Celtic today. I really dont see how he fits into the team if he wants toplay that far forward.

Salisu clearly injured, but we must have known that when we signed him so no idea why the club didnt just say so to set expectations. If it were a long term one then 100% we wouldnt have signed him. Hopefully he is getting there.

-------------------------------------

Celtic thread on Ntcham here:

https://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/olivier-ntcham.145210/page-284

The overiding consensus is that he is talented but inconsistent and still not nailed on as a starter now.

Some chat that he hasnt been used well and is better in their European games where its a slower pace and a bit more open rather than teams that camp behind the ball.

Sounds like his off the ball game is pretty poor which doesn't strike me as a Hasenhuttl player, certainly if looking to replicate PEH's attributes.

If he isnt a star man in the SPL then is he really going to make an impact at PL level? Certainly a lesser player than Hojbjerg, who became ridiculously downgraded here once it was clear he didn't want to stay.

Edited by Dusic

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

The only logical explanation that fits that scenario is that he's got a long term injury. Anything short term wouldn't bother any other club that wanted him. All of which suggests we didn't do enough due diligence during the medical...? Or... We knew he was crocked but decided it was better to get him now while we can...?

Doesn't really explain why we haven't seen a photo though. In fact it makes it more suspicious. No reason they couldn't have knocked up a photo of him holding a shirt and then no one would be asking questions. Curious. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Doesn't really explain why we haven't seen a photo though. In fact it makes it more suspicious. No reason they couldn't have knocked up a photo of him holding a shirt and then no one would be asking questions. Curious. 

Hence why the only summation is his nutrition hasn't been very good for a couple of months.

He might have Mayuka's physique.

Remember all his fitness tests were done in Spain.

Edited by Nolan

12 minutes ago, Nolan said:

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Indeed. I know I'm sounding like a scratched record but I'm still failing to see a valid reason why it's seemingly impossible to get Salisu, a Saints top and a photographer in the same room together for 30 seconds. It's what we and every other club have done for every player we've/they've signed since the beginning of time. Why not this one? I'm beginning to think rocket science might be an easier option....

Edited by trousers

3 hours ago, LeG said:

Without giving the game away, should we not be expecting him to  be playing anytime soon then?

58 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Celtic fans seem keen for us to take Ajer off their hands. Some really dont rate him, which differs from opinion on Ntcham (and the likes of Armstrong before him). No real point in replacing one big lump (Vestergaard if he goes) with another. 

Is this typical of the 'definitely crap as he's now leaving us' response though ? Similar to some of the comments re Hojberg on here. 

I'd read that Ajer was highly rated there, albeit of course within the standards of the SPL. Of the others there's no doubting Armstrong was popular, but the view on Ntcham seems to be indifferent at best. 

With revenues generated from the sales of Hojbjerg and Reed, plus loan fee and wages saved from Cedric (hyped at the time by the club as a great deal) and Yoshida in January, plus Lemina just now, we must surely be able to make one more good addition in central midfield.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Is this typical of the 'definitely crap as he's now leaving us' response though ? Similar to some of the comments re Hojberg on here. 

I'd read that Ajer was highly rated there, albeit of course within the standards of the SPL. Of the others there's no doubting Armstrong was popular, but the view on Ntcham seems to be indifferent at best. 

Pretty sure before he was about to be sold, Ajer was comfortably rated by most as one of Celtic's best players. Probably mates with PEH.

If stories like this about Ntcham are true, do we really want him? Thought we were getting rid of the attitudes from our side.

"Celtic misfit Olivier Ntcham claims to be too good for Scottish football as he edges closer to Marseille move"

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17754068.celtic-misfit-olivier-ntcham-claims-good-scottish-football-edges-closer-marseille-move/?ref=twtrec

11 minutes ago, Nolan said:

If stories like this about Ntcham are true, do we really want him? Thought we were getting rid of the attitudes from our side.

"Celtic misfit Olivier Ntcham claims to be too good for Scottish football as he edges closer to Marseille move"

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17754068.celtic-misfit-olivier-ntcham-claims-good-scottish-football-edges-closer-marseille-move/?ref=twtrec

It would be odd for a Celtic player not to think he is too good when compared to the rest of the league. So is it really a problem?

20 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It would be odd for a Celtic player not to think he is too good when compared to the rest of the league. So is it really a problem?

i think it is when Elyounoussi got on the pitch for Celtic over him last season.

and when Elyounoussi was out he wasnt selected.

We want someone to compete with Romeu, and he certainly isnt up to Romeus standard.

I would be really surprised if we went for Ntcham - just doesn't look like the kind of player Ralph would be interested in.  If anything he looks more like another Lemina type - talented and ambitious but without the workrate to match those aspirations.  I guess a new challenge could reignite him though.  Other thing is he's a much more forward thinking type of midfielder so he'd probably fit in better in one of the "ten" roles but again would need to get used to running a fair bit more and closing down - could work if Armstrong drops back into midfield but why change something that's working?  I reckon whoever we bring in will be more along the lines of Mangala - pretty unknown but willing to work hard and somebody that Ralph feels he can develop.  

Edited by revolution saint

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

They don't play in the same position/role.

I didn't mean like for like.

But given Ntcham can play DM / CM / AM and seeing as Celtic so often play with five across the middle, it's very surprising that he was so far down the pecking order.

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Tenuous transfer rumour alert (the Twitter account is followed by Simon Peach of the Press Association which gives it a bit of credibility) 

Obligatory YouTube 'best bits' video

Boom. This is the player. Ntcham is not running our Midfield.

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Tenuous transfer rumour alert (the Twitter account is followed by Simon Peach of the Press Association which gives it a bit of credibility) 

Obligatory YouTube 'best bits' video

Boom. This is the player. Ntcham is not running our Midfield.

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Cheers for finding this - looks a much more likely kind of target than Ntcham.  He seems to tick most of the boxes Ralph would want and is a good long passer so that fits in with the ethos of getting the ball forward quickly.  Can also play CB which is handy.  For all those conspiracy nuts out there - AZ Alkmaar have Billy Beane (moneyball fella) as an advisor - that's the same Billy Beane who is involved in a consortium looking to buy a premier league club.  Probably nothing in it but you never know.  Coincidence or is IT happening?  Anyway, on the face of it exactly the kind of player we should be looking at but having said that the guy has been linked with a ton of clubs so probably just an over active agent or bored journo.

Koopmeiners would be an impressive signing, and from what I've previously seen and read of him ideal but likely to go to a bigger club. AZ are still in the CL qualifiers so that might influence their willingness to sell.

The only other midfielder I saw us tenuously linked with a couple of months ago that stood out was Grillitsch at Hoffenheim (Austrian international), but no further mention so assume that is non-existent.

Edited by Badger

On 30/08/2020 at 11:49, BARCELONASAINT said:

I honestly think that there is no hidden agenda regarding Salisu and it is purely a case that we have bought a 21 year old with bags of potential who needs to be integrated very slowly into the squad. English is not his first language, he has never lived in the UK before, he knows no one here, he's only 21 (a kid) and there is no way he will be at the same fitness levels and sharpness levels as the rest of the squad.

I am making an assumption that Saints are being very careful with this lad not to rush him into the starting lineup before he is 110% ready and end up destroying his confidence. We all know the premiership is savage. Bednarek and Stephens finished the season strongly and will rightly start as our 2 CB's with Vesterguard the back up (unless he moves on).

We all crave news about our players and silence can lead to all sorts of conspiracy theories.....however I don't think that is the case here. 

English is the official language in Ghana - which I think is part of the reason he wanted to come to the Premier League.

It sounds like he's either injured or had to travel back to Spain or Ghana to sort something out - maybe a family issue. I don't  think not having a work permit would stop him training but I could be wrong.  

Feasibly we could be planning to loan him out for a season to get more first team experience under his belt before bringing him in to our first team - but if so I would expect us to sign another centre back - and maybe a left footed one at that.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Feasibly we could be planning to loan him out for a season to get more first team experience under his belt before bringing him in to our first team.

I don't think it is feasible that Saints would spend £11m on a player to then loan him out straight away. He played 30 out of 38 La Liga games last season for the team with the 7th best defensive record in the league. He doesn't need a loan.

Teun is a very talented player, very stable on the ball. I'd say pretty similar to JWP in how he plays. Good range of passing, all that standard stuff.

I wouldn't say he's particularly powerful or quick through the middle though. Although he'd certainly add some height.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

On 30/08/2020 at 14:00, trousers said:

I get all that but you've got to admit that the absence of a solitary photo with the fella holding up a Saints shirt is a tad unusual. No-one's asking an episode of This is Your Life...

Ignore the first picture, don't seem to be able to delete, but his Instagram account has pic in a Saints shirt, albeit with LD logo. Or is it photoshopped? 

• Like 1