Summer 2020 transfer business

29 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

That's an odd one. Unless we are planning on selling Adams (hope not) or plan on loaning out Obafemi, this article must be agent talk.

Oh and a little tiny piece of me feels sorry for Newcastle fans - they expect a massive takeover and huge signings like Coutinho, they get to keep Mike Ashley and sign Jeff Hendrick on a free transfer. 😖

It's The Sun. Welbeck to us for £5.5m is what their random transfer rumour generator came up with for today... tomorrow will be something like De Bruyne to West Ham for £1m. Or £1bn. Expect McKennie will be our last signing this window.

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Just had a WhatsApp from my contact sorry it’s been a while but Hes been busy with work and on holiday, however as per the last message things are starting to move

Incomings

we’re not done yet, still look for a replacement for Hojbjerg we are interested in an unnamed USA midfielder currently playing in Germany, sorry but other clubs read this forum so he wouldn’t let me share his name so we don’t alert the competition.

Apparently ITK means knowing how to google "Southampton FC"

Nothing about the Wellbeck link makes sense.

Not a prolific goalscorer, struggled to get into the Watford side last year (so his abilities are clearly declining) and will have high wage demands at a time when we are tryng to get rid of highly paid deadwood.

Agent talk I would guess to try and flush out interest.

2 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

And that’s my point.

What a joke signing for Spurs. What were they thinking?

To be fair he's third choice for them, behind Lloris and Gazzaniga. They let Vorm go on a free at the end of the season, so they needed a new GK and he's english...so boosts their home grown count etc.

Easy money for Joe. He's pretty much retired now.

Did Saints ever actually confirm the released players from this summer? I see O'Driscoll has signed for Mansfield.

Also the lad from Las Palmas hasn't been confirmed I don't think, nor the new Academy intake (which he would be too old for I think).

McKennie a target for Villa according to The Athletic.

Edited by Dusic
50 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

And that’s my point.

What a joke signing for Spurs. What were they thinking?

Not all signings are specifically about direct improvement on the pitch, for a start he fills a home grown slot and apparently he is a very well respected character and very professional so is a good influence on the dressing room. 

His form has gone off a cliff, but he was clearly a very good goalkeeper, if he gets his confidence back (something Mourinho is apparently quite good at doing) then he'll be a decent back up to Lloris battling with Gazzaniga.  The guy also has two premier league titles, an FA Cup and two league cups, plus 75 England caps, in a squad that I am pretty sure has no 'winners' in it. 

22 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Seems an ok signing for Spurs, getting a fancier 3rd choice to help warm up the real keepers.

The joke is that Hart has given up on playing football at 33.

Bit harsh. He's gone on loans spells at home and abroad in recent seasons to try and reignite his career. Hugo Lloris is prone to the odd poor spell and Hart might fancy he can push for starts should that happen and/or in cup competition. Depending on confidence/form I would certainly say he's technically a better keeper that Gazzaniga with more pedigree at a high level.

He's not exactly in Lee Grant or Stuart Taylor territory. 

2 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Who is Paul Joyce? I don't twitter and know nothing about him.

Based on not being good enough for Stoke leading to him being advertised for sale, I'm not excited.

Times reporter.  Absolute top level source around Merseyside (I know Stoke isn’t Merseyside).

7 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Oh ok, not a joke anorak then?

Hopefully we have him play in a friendly to test him out.

Nope.  243k followers. 

“Hey Siri:  show me a link that makes no sense”.

Edited by SuperSAINT
5 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Only way it makes sense is if we’ve got someone buying FF. Doesn’t solve the issue of 3 GK’s on good wages on the books... 

So Gunn on loan, to develop - and possibly become our number 1 some time? (or get sold at a profit)

FF sold.

McCarthy as first choice.

Butland as backup.

Who is next in line - do we have an up and coming keeper now?

19 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Based on not being good enough for Stoke leading to him being advertised for sale, I'm not excited.

not good enough or just too expensive? 

Always rated him myself.  He's an upgrade on Gunn. I'm excited at that deal.

1 minute ago, Suhari said:

So Gunn on loan, to develop - and possibly become our number 1 some time? (or get sold at a profit)

FF sold.

McCarthy as first choice.

Butland as backup.

Who is next in line - do we have an up and coming keeper now?

Exactly how I see it potentially working...

Forster sold

Gunn loan

Mccarthy first choice

Butland on loan to cover 

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Exactly how I see it potentially working...

Forster sold

Gunn loan

Mccarthy first choice

Butland on loan to cover 

Where to?  Villa?

Article this morning said they’ve purchased a keeper for the last 5 windows 😂

Edited by SuperSAINT
44 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Jim Joyce's son?

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

not good enough or just too expensive? 

Always rated him myself.  He's an upgrade on Gunn. I'm excited at that deal.

Or is he? On the Butland thread, there is a link to the Stoke City fan forum, oakcakefanzine, 19 pages. I read the first and last page. He got injured, losing his place obviously. Had to wait for his chance, but by then lost confidence so was dropped for poor performance. Never regained it and now on the market. Stoke fans are split into (1) over the hill, sell asap, and (2) lost confidence, sell to lower level club. Of course, page 19 reflects today's story that we are interested and prepared to let them have Gunn in exchange. 100% of them want that to happen. So I'm not sure we would be getting the better side of the deal. 5 years ago, yeah, Butland was England's best, but now it's all gone Pete Tong. 

Do we want to take him and hope we can recondition him? If we want that, surely Forster is the better option.

I wonder if it's something like a two way loan? They get Gunn for a year as a regular, he needs game times to find his form. We take Butland for a year to play as second fiddle/compete with McCarthy.

Then at the end of the season, we have a few options:

Let Butland leave, no outlay for us. We get Gunn back after a year of regular football and hopefully in form to push McCarthy for a place.

We keep Butland if he's surprised everyone, again no outlay as he'd be a free transfer. We then sell Gunn for $$ after a successful loan at Norwich.

I'd be interested if it was a two-way loan like that, those have been done before. We don't lose out in any scenario in that setup.

Edited by S-Clarke
8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I wonder if it's something like a two way loan? They get Gunn for a year as a regular, he needs game times to find his form. We take Butland for a year to play as second fiddle/compete with McCarthy.

Then at the end of the season, we have a few options:

Let Butland leave, no outlay for us. We get Gunn back after a year of regular football and hopefully in form to push McCarthy for a place.

We keep Butland if he's surprised everyone, again no outlay as he'd be a free transfer. We then sell Gunn for $$ after a successful loan at Norwich.

I'd be interested if it was a two-way loan like that, those have been done before. We don't lose out in any scenario in that setup.

What’s FF up to though?

Gunn getting games at Stoke is def the good part of it.

Edited by SuperSAINT
Just now, SuperSAINT said:

What’s FF up to though?

Gunn getting games at Stoke is def the good part of it.

Maybe we're shifting FF out. Only way this deal makes any sense. We'd have to shift two goalkeepers for it to make any sense really.

Butland's become a meme. If he was currently our player, which I wanted him to be around 2012 when he was at Birmingham then I am sure that we would have the same opinion of him as we currently do Forster. He has been on the decline for a while now, while you could argue Gunn still has some potential, so they're very much at different points in their career.

Butland's final game of the season was a 5-0 defeat against Leeds and he was on the bench behind Adam Davies for Stoke's final two games as well as being benched for Adam Federici for six games earlier in the season.

The only goalkeeper I want us to sign is one that would be an upgrade on McCarthy, who I think is dependable, but can also be upgraded upon while for now goalkeeper is not a priority position and I don't think Butland is that and would be a waste in the wage bill.

These links to Welbeck and Butland over the last two days, hopefully just paper shite like the Lallana return story, as they aren't the sort of players I would expect us to bring in nowadays.

6 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Butland's become a meme. If he was currently our player, which I wanted him to be around 2012 when he was at Birmingham then I am sure that we would have the same opinion of him as we currently do Forster. He has been on the decline for a while now, while you could argue Gunn still has some potential, so they're very much at different points in their career.

Butland's final game of the season was a 5-0 defeat against Leeds and he was on the bench behind Adam Davies for Stoke's final two games as well as being benched for Adam Federici for six games earlier in the season.

The only goalkeeper I want us to sign is one that would be an upgrade on McCarthy, who I think is dependable, but can also be upgraded upon while for now goalkeeper is not a priority position and I don't think Butland is that and would be a waste in the wage bill.

These links to Welbeck and Butland over the last two days, hopefully just paper shite like the Lallana return story, as they aren't the sort of players I would expect us to bring in nowadays.

Yeah I would rather we spend some money on the young Arsenal forward who’s been mentioned on here as well as a PEH replacement. Didn’t even consider we would look at keepers in this window.

23 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

?!

Funny this just came up on my FB timeline, jeez they must have been down the pub cobbling this steaming pile together. We have enough crap kicking around without adding to the stockpile.

30 and likely to be more broken than Lemina. Anyone would think Les Reed had decided to come back to Saints on day release for this to have any legs!

3 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Funny this just came up on my FB timeline, jeez they must have been down the pub cobbling this steaming pile together. We have enough crap kicking around without adding to the stockpile.

30 and likely to be more broken than Lemina. Anyone would think Les Reed had decided to come back to Saints on day release for this to have any legs!

What makes this any less believable than the story linking us with the chap from Germany?

Jannik: 'There is Spanish and English interest'

Jannik Vestergaard has interest from both Spanish and English clubs, he tells Ekstra Bladet.

Jannik Vestergaard was on the pitch in half of Southampton's Premier League matches last season, where he finished with full playing time in the last three matches.

According to Ekstra Bladet, there are rumors about Valencia, and the Danish stopper also confirms that there is interest from both Spain and England.

- I know that there is interest from clubs in Spain, just as there is from England, but I can not comment on specific clubs.

- La Liga is of course an interesting league, but so is the Premier League, and I have enjoyed playing here in the last couple of seasons, says Jannik Vestergaard.

Jannik Vestergaard still has two years left on his contract with Southampton.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

Like with the others that we don't want, if we fail to get a fee for him this summer then it will just be loans up until his contract finishes.

Hopefully Saints are pragmatic and realise there is no chance of getting back what we paid. Surely anything around the 7m or 8m mark is a fair price?

35 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Like with the others that we don't want, if we fail to get a fee for him this summer then it will just be loans up until his contract finishes.

Hopefully Saints are pragmatic and realise there is no chance of getting back what we paid. Surely anything around the 7m or 8m mark is a fair price?

For  Vestergaard??? No chance. I don't rate him but some clubs do and experienced CB prices are way above that.