Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

44 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Who is Paul Joyce? I don't twitter and know nothing about him.

Based on not being good enough for Stoke leading to him being advertised for sale, I'm not excited.

Jim Joyce's son?

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

not good enough or just too expensive? 

Always rated him myself.  He's an upgrade on Gunn. I'm excited at that deal.

Or is he? On the Butland thread, there is a link to the Stoke City fan forum, oakcakefanzine, 19 pages. I read the first and last page. He got injured, losing his place obviously. Had to wait for his chance, but by then lost confidence so was dropped for poor performance. Never regained it and now on the market. Stoke fans are split into (1) over the hill, sell asap, and (2) lost confidence, sell to lower level club. Of course, page 19 reflects today's story that we are interested and prepared to let them have Gunn in exchange. 100% of them want that to happen. So I'm not sure we would be getting the better side of the deal. 5 years ago, yeah, Butland was England's best, but now it's all gone Pete Tong. 

Do we want to take him and hope we can recondition him? If we want that, surely Forster is the better option.

I wonder if it's something like a two way loan? They get Gunn for a year as a regular, he needs game times to find his form. We take Butland for a year to play as second fiddle/compete with McCarthy.

Then at the end of the season, we have a few options:

Let Butland leave, no outlay for us. We get Gunn back after a year of regular football and hopefully in form to push McCarthy for a place.

We keep Butland if he's surprised everyone, again no outlay as he'd be a free transfer. We then sell Gunn for $$ after a successful loan at Norwich.

I'd be interested if it was a two-way loan like that, those have been done before. We don't lose out in any scenario in that setup.

Edited by S-Clarke

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I wonder if it's something like a two way loan? They get Gunn for a year as a regular, he needs game times to find his form. We take Butland for a year to play as second fiddle/compete with McCarthy.

Then at the end of the season, we have a few options:

Let Butland leave, no outlay for us. We get Gunn back after a year of regular football and hopefully in form to push McCarthy for a place.

We keep Butland if he's surprised everyone, again no outlay as he'd be a free transfer. We then sell Gunn for $$ after a successful loan at Norwich.

I'd be interested if it was a two-way loan like that, those have been done before. We don't lose out in any scenario in that setup.

What’s FF up to though?

Gunn getting games at Stoke is def the good part of it.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

What’s FF up to though?

Gunn getting games at Stoke is def the good part of it.

Maybe we're shifting FF out. Only way this deal makes any sense. We'd have to shift two goalkeepers for it to make any sense really.

Butland's become a meme. If he was currently our player, which I wanted him to be around 2012 when he was at Birmingham then I am sure that we would have the same opinion of him as we currently do Forster. He has been on the decline for a while now, while you could argue Gunn still has some potential, so they're very much at different points in their career.

Butland's final game of the season was a 5-0 defeat against Leeds and he was on the bench behind Adam Davies for Stoke's final two games as well as being benched for Adam Federici for six games earlier in the season.

The only goalkeeper I want us to sign is one that would be an upgrade on McCarthy, who I think is dependable, but can also be upgraded upon while for now goalkeeper is not a priority position and I don't think Butland is that and would be a waste in the wage bill.

These links to Welbeck and Butland over the last two days, hopefully just paper shite like the Lallana return story, as they aren't the sort of players I would expect us to bring in nowadays.

6 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Butland's become a meme. If he was currently our player, which I wanted him to be around 2012 when he was at Birmingham then I am sure that we would have the same opinion of him as we currently do Forster. He has been on the decline for a while now, while you could argue Gunn still has some potential, so they're very much at different points in their career.

Butland's final game of the season was a 5-0 defeat against Leeds and he was on the bench behind Adam Davies for Stoke's final two games as well as being benched for Adam Federici for six games earlier in the season.

The only goalkeeper I want us to sign is one that would be an upgrade on McCarthy, who I think is dependable, but can also be upgraded upon while for now goalkeeper is not a priority position and I don't think Butland is that and would be a waste in the wage bill.

These links to Welbeck and Butland over the last two days, hopefully just paper shite like the Lallana return story, as they aren't the sort of players I would expect us to bring in nowadays.

Yeah I would rather we spend some money on the young Arsenal forward who’s been mentioned on here as well as a PEH replacement. Didn’t even consider we would look at keepers in this window.

23 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

?!

Funny this just came up on my FB timeline, jeez they must have been down the pub cobbling this steaming pile together. We have enough crap kicking around without adding to the stockpile.

30 and likely to be more broken than Lemina. Anyone would think Les Reed had decided to come back to Saints on day release for this to have any legs!

3 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Funny this just came up on my FB timeline, jeez they must have been down the pub cobbling this steaming pile together. We have enough crap kicking around without adding to the stockpile.

30 and likely to be more broken than Lemina. Anyone would think Les Reed had decided to come back to Saints on day release for this to have any legs!

What makes this any less believable than the story linking us with the chap from Germany?

Jannik: 'There is Spanish and English interest'

Jannik Vestergaard has interest from both Spanish and English clubs, he tells Ekstra Bladet.

Jannik Vestergaard was on the pitch in half of Southampton's Premier League matches last season, where he finished with full playing time in the last three matches.

According to Ekstra Bladet, there are rumors about Valencia, and the Danish stopper also confirms that there is interest from both Spain and England.

- I know that there is interest from clubs in Spain, just as there is from England, but I can not comment on specific clubs.

- La Liga is of course an interesting league, but so is the Premier League, and I have enjoyed playing here in the last couple of seasons, says Jannik Vestergaard.

Jannik Vestergaard still has two years left on his contract with Southampton.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

Like with the others that we don't want, if we fail to get a fee for him this summer then it will just be loans up until his contract finishes.

Hopefully Saints are pragmatic and realise there is no chance of getting back what we paid. Surely anything around the 7m or 8m mark is a fair price?

1 minute ago, the saint in winchester said:

Didn't Leicester offer us £24M for JV in January? And we turned that down? Hoping Brendan still has our number in his phone for an offer of that size.

Was a loan with an option.  Unsure on future fee.

54 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Didn't Leicester offer us £24M for JV in January? And we turned that down? Hoping Brendan still has our number in his phone for an offer of that size.

If we were actually offered that, then even the most clueless person in football would have snatched their hand off for that! I can only imagine that's pure rumour.

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

If we were actually offered that, then even the most clueless person in football would have snatched their hand off for that! I can only imagine that's pure rumour.

There were stories at the time that it was an 'up to £26m' deal, but it did seem and still seems far fetched for us to have made a profit on a player who looked pretty poor at this level.

Dan in The Athletic mentioned that Leicester were interested, but didn't come 'close' to matching what we want for him (we want to try and get our 17/18m back). So, yeah that up to £26m seems incredibly far fetched.

I guess if someone did reject that sort of deal, they'd want to keep quiet and brush it under the carpet anyway - as that would have been as big a fail as the signing of Carrillo!

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm surprised Leicester don't come in for Bertrand. 

Possible but I'd see them more likely to move for Rico Henry at Brentford. After a few injury hit seasons he's really cracked on and looked promising, 100% will be a prem player sooner or later ..

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Hoedt wasn't in the squad last season, so doesn't need replacing if sold.

At the moment he is our player on large wages is he not.

We may well end up loaning him out again but as I said unless we do and sell JV in my opinion if I am allowed one I find it hard to believe we will be spending that much on another one.

Unless of course Salisu is already a disaster signing 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, northam soul said:

At the moment he is our player on large wages is he not.

You said they wouldn't need another centre back "unless we finally get shot of Hoedt or Vestergaard".

But if Hoedt is sold it doesn't open up a spot in the 1st team squad because he was already surplus to the squad. It would need Hoedt and Vestergaard to leave for a new centre back to be needed.

Edited by Matthew Le God

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

You said they wouldn't need another centre back "unless we finally get shot of Hoedt or Vestergaard".

But if Hoedt is sold it doesn't open up a spot in the 1st team squad because he was already surplus to the squad. It would need Hoedt and Vestergaard to leave for a new centre back to be needed.

Not knowing the difference between and and or is almost as embarrassing as not knowing the difference between 1 and 2

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Well if you’re going to be that picky there is a space in the squad as we just sold a player to spurs. It’s irrelevant what position he played as there is nothing to say we have to replace like for like.

5 minutes ago, northam soul said:

1) Well if you’re going to be that picky there is a space in the squad as we just sold a player to spurs.

2) It’s irrelevant what position he played as there is nothing to say we have to replace like for like.

1) Saying "and" vs saying "or" makes a significant difference to the meaning of your statement.

2) No real need for 5 centre backs so the position does matter and isn't irrelevant. The position Hojbjerg leaving opens up is central midfield, hence the apparent interest in McKennie.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) Saying "and" vs saying "or" makes a significant difference to the meaning of your statement.

2) No real need for 5 centre backs so the position does matter and isn't irrelevant. The position Hojbjerg leaving opens up is central midfield, hence the apparent interest in McKennie.

Alternatively, Reed takes Hojbergs spot and we still need another centre back because Salisu is under 21 and has covid. Or we want an extra centre back to revert to a back 3 because we miss shipping 9 goals.

Or you, like us, have no idea and don’t know what you’re talking about, making your attempts to correct everyone else even more laughable. Especially when you can’t differentiate between 1 and 2

🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Well if you’re going to be that picky there is a space in the squad as we just sold a player to spurs. It’s irrelevant what position he played as there is nothing to say we have to replace like for like.

You should know what hes like. Has to be top of the class on every saints topic 🤦🏼‍♂️

Probably overthinking it but the comment here about "a host of players signing new contracts" and Ings commenting about "everybody signing contracts" perhaps suggests there are more agreed than have been announced.

All I can recall being officially confirmed this summer so far is JWP plus Smallbone and Vokins.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-08-23/danny-ings-2020-21-preview-southampton-football-club

38 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Probably overthinking it but the comment here about "a host of players signing new contracts" and Ings commenting about "everybody signing contracts" perhaps suggests there are more agreed than have been announced.

All I can recall being officially confirmed this summer so far is JWP plus Smallbone and Vokins.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-08-23/danny-ings-2020-21-preview-southampton-football-club

Shane Long signed a two-year contract extension - but this was earlier in the summer BBC report dated 4 June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52922596