Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

53 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Is he any good?

There ain't much YouTube stuff on him but the bits I've seen are OK.  Not a player with any outstanding attributes in that he's not a huge big target man and neither is he a quick little player with bags of tricks.  So from that point of view he doesn't offer us anything blindingly different to what we already have but he does look to be a decent finisher.  

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

There ain't much YouTube stuff on him but the bits I've seen are OK.  Not a player with any outstanding attributes in that he's not a huge big target man and neither is he a quick little player with bags of tricks.  So from that point of view he doesn't offer us anything blindingly different to what we already have but he does look to be a decent finisher.  

Hopefully not a Uruguayan Carrillo.

If we can offload Carrillo (a big if) and the rumours about Obafemi are true then it makes sense. For the price being quoted it would be decent business too. 

However, with the exception of Suarez and Aguero (for whatever reason) South American strikers have routinely failed  in the Premier League. Not sure if it is a cultural thing or that they don’t get the same levels of protection as they would on the continent. 

Those Italian Calciomercato sites are a load of dross. Probably even less reliable than the Crook.

We don't need a striker and would be shocked if, as a club that prides itself on the Academy pathway and young talent, that we sold Obafemi.

Only reason we would have signed a striker is if we had let Long go, or Adams, and both of those are staying.

Edited by Dusic

To be honest I think the link is probably the workings of an over-active agent and/or a club desperate for cash.  Since the summer he's been linked with Sheffield United, Brighton, Wolfsburg, Napoli and Roma (there's probably more too).  As others have said, it's hardly a priority area right now either.

Anyway, for those interested, here's a piece I found on Darwin Nunez that gives a bit more of an insight into his game: https://footballbh.net/2020/04/07/darwin-nunez-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics/

Looks like he has a lot of the things Ralph likes in his forward players so possibly there's something in it......but probably not.

7 minutes ago, LeG said:

Only player that might leave is Vestergaard. Heard nothing re Bednarek, though Sky sports reported chelsea's intetest in January. Keep an eye out for training pics. Im not trying to keep everyone guessing. Some stuff is detrimental to the club. I'm sure Ralph will do the right thing. He wants to build something here and his obsession with stats will point him to the right areas to strengthen. 

That's a relief. Would love Vestergaard out even if we don't replace him. Get those huge wages off the books and a tidy little transfer fee and reinvest in a quality DM. A rotation of Salisu, Bednarek, Stephens, and whoever the best academy product is atm would do us fine for the season. Also would be interesting to see if we could get Rashica. Already dealing with Werder over Lemina, RB Leipzig are out the running and is reported he doesn't want to go to Villa for a relegation skirmish. Feel like we could sell him with the "safe, reliable team and shop window" argument.

50 minutes ago, LeG said:

Only player that might leave is Vestergaard. Heard nothing re Bednarek, though Sky sports reported chelsea's intetest in January. Keep an eye out for training pics. Im not trying to keep everyone guessing. Some stuff is detrimental to the club. I'm sure Ralph will do the right thing. He wants to build something here and his obsession with stats will point him to the right areas to strengthen. 

Cheers for the update @LeG

I think people were somewhat intrigued by your "typical Saints" remark when you mentioned we might need to buy another CB. It gave the impression something unexpected had happened in the CB department, and that it might therefore have involved someone other than Vestergaard (given it wouldn't be that unexpected if he left) 

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, LeG said:

All a bit cryptic?

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

Cheers for the update @LeG

I think people were somewhat intrigued by your "typical Saints" remark when you mentioned we might need to buy another CB. It gave the impression something unexpected had happened in the CB department, and that it might therefore have involved someone other than Vestergaard (given it wouldn't be that unexpected if he left) 

Quite, it sounded like bad news. Vestergaard leaving won't be bad news.

4 hours ago, LeG said:

So basically, some players will not be back for pre season training and are going on strike (hence the detrimental?)

4 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

OK thanks for that insight. So some players have let themselves slip since season end and won't be in the right shape?

Didn't one of our 'flair' players look somewhat chubby in training pics immediately after lockdown, and then not feature for the rest of the season? And another have an injury after serving a ban, so wasn't involved?

13 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

OK thanks for that insight. So some players have let themselves slip since season end and won't be in the right shape?

I’d guess that Salisu has turned up crocked from LeG’s hinting but let’s wait and see.

Really hope this Nunez link is true this is probably dream signing of the window for me and yes I do think we need a striker- adams long and obafemi is totally unproven if was a injury or anything to ings and we need goals from somewhere.

nunez looks superb on the YouTube clips fantastic finisher and reminds me a bit of a prime fernando Torres..

please be true :)

27 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d guess that Salisu has turned up crocked from LeG’s hinting but let’s wait and see.

Salisu crocked or unfit (same difference) is my reading-between-the-lines on this one too. The pieces of the jigsaw seem to fit.

Edit: maybe we weren't able to do our usual rigorous pre-signing medical procedures due to Covid-19 restrictions, so took a bit of a punt ? (more reading-between-the-lines)

Edited by trousers

21 minutes ago, TWar said:

If it is a fitness problem it is much more likely to be Bednarek who missed the last two games at the end of the season with injury than the person who just successfully passed a medical.

Boufal, if I remember rightly, passed a medical but missed the first couple of months injured. It can happen.

To be honest, I think it would take Salisu some time to get up to fitness with the rest of the squad anyway. We were an ultra-fit unit at the back end of the season, it would be surprise to see the likes of Jack or Jan drop off that much during the summer break (may be wrong!).

But I agree with LeG, Ralph is shrewd and he'll know exactly what and where we'll need to strengthen, and if he feels one of our starters could raise some funds in order to get a better player for his system, then I'm inclined to trust his judgement. Let's see how it pans out.

36 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Could the fitness problem be Obafemi. Ralph has publicly singled him out previously for not looking after himself. Could maybe explain the Nunez links. Just a guess

I'd be surprised if Obafemi is at Saints much longer. He doesn't run enough and isn't professional enough off the field. Two things Ralph won't stand for.. 

6 hours ago, Suhari said:

Didn't one of our 'flair' players look somewhat chubby in training pics immediately after lockdown, and then not feature for the rest of the season? And another have an injury after serving a ban, so wasn't involved?

It was an observation I made at the time, that he had a bit of a pot, to general agreement when it was pointed out. I'd also agree that Obafemi is another that  seems less than professional both from RH's comments and from a poster's personal knowledge of him.

• Like 1

Would put my money on Bertrand and Redmond.

Redmond has a bit of a tommy going by his latest insta story of him running on a treadmill.

plus he posted a video of him last week with Bertrand smoking cigars, so maybe it didn t go down too well with Ralph.

5 minutes ago, Red said:

Maybe, but he was brilliant! What a player - bit daft though - "Charlie, Charlie give us a wave" and "One man went to mow, went to mow a meadow" 

Bit b4 my time but the first oppo Player I saw that blew me away was my first time at the Dell, John Fash the bash. Bloody unplayable he was and wore purple boots b4 the fashion. Some cracking players visited the Dell. Ahh the good old days😊

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Valencia in financial trouble, seems really bad. Anyone of theirs we could pinch for a reduced price?

Geoffrey Kondogbia - absolute beast of a central midfielder, but I imagine much bigger clubs will snap him up.

14 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'd be surprised if Obafemi is at Saints much longer. He doesn't run enough and isn't professional enough off the field. Two things Ralph won't stand for.. 

Also, he isn't actually very good, despite what he thinks

Interesting on Weston McKennie, possibly suggests Reed is off. Maybe we can get some dollar for Lemina and Hoedt as well.

I imagine Ralph knows Weston quite a lot from his time over there, he seems his type of player in terms of playing style. I know Carl Anka didn't rate him and that it's self has put people off, but if Ralph thinks he can do a job for us then I have the upmost confidence in that decision.

1 hour ago, adriansfc said:

How is he more proven in the premier league than the 3 you mention, who've already played in it?

Can't see any way we won't be starting with Adams and Ings after how they finished the season. An injury to Ings will make us worse, that's football. We're doing well having a striker of that quality in the first place. Adams has shown he can improve and score a few. Redmond can play there, Djenpo will be back. 

I'd rather we didn't throw money around on unnecessary positions until we've got rid of the deadwood and sorted the CM position. 

He just looks quality imo..whilst the trio of long obafemi and adams don’t.. long we know what we are getting he works hard and is a good foil for ings but poor finisher..

adams and oba both have struggled to impact games. And neither look brilliant tbh.

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Interesting on Weston McKennie, possibly suggests Reed is off. Maybe we can get some dollar for Lemina and Hoedt as well.

I imagine Ralph knows Weston quite a lot from his time over there, he seems his type of player in terms of playing style. I know Carl Anka didn't rate him and that it's self has put people off, but if Ralph thinks he can do a job for us then I have the upmost confidence in that decision.

Sounds like Fulham have a 8m option on reed so I’m not even sure if it’s in our hands to keep him?

i don’t really have much idea on who the central mf replacement will be. Sounds like a lot of Celtic fans talk about ntcham like we did lemina.. superb on his day but his days are rare 

I am presuming the sell before we buy thing is more of a wage thing than transfer fee thing, I presume currently we are now paying Lemina, Hoedt, Carrillo, Forster etc wages in full. plus JWP presumably has got a pay rise and we've added the wages of Salisu and KWP as well. 

Interesting though that Carl Anka didn't think there was anything in the McKennie rumours or that he was particularly any good, but they have obviously come up again today. 

Way I see it Mckennie isn't going to set the world alight with silky skills and a great range of passing but then he'll be competing with Romeu and won't need to be the most skilful player anyway.  Looks like he has stamina, can tackle, good in the air and used to a high intensity pressing game.  Will probably pose more of a goal threat than Hojbjerg ever did so that's in his favour but ultimately we're looking for a workhorse that can close down the opposition, win the ball and give it to the four players in front of him as quickly as possible.  Whether he's the best bet at 20M to do that is anyone's guess but he can probably do a decent job.

4 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I am presuming the sell before we buy thing is more of a wage thing than transfer fee thing, I presume currently we are now paying Lemina, Hoedt, Carrillo, Forster etc wages in full. plus JWP presumably has got a pay rise and we've added the wages of Salisu and KWP as well. 

Interesting though that Carl Anka didn't think there was anything in the McKennie rumours or that he was particularly any good, but they have obviously come up again today. 

Adam Blackmore also said similar at the same time, so would expect it was briefed by the club...interesting to see what happens with him. Might have just been to try to keep it quiet.

There's clearly some interest in him, multiple sources have hinted at it for a good few weeks now. I just think any further transfers rely heavily on our ability to move players on, and as mentioned above this may be to do with wages more than transfer fees - maybe.

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There's clearly some interest in him, multiple sources have hinted at it for a good few weeks now. I just think any further transfers rely heavily on our ability to move players on, and as mentioned above this may be to do with wages more than transfer fees - maybe.

He’s on BIG wages. 

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

I doubt they are any bigger than our top earner.

The same.

& we don’t tend to go that high in the 1st contract.  Especially when they are 21.

I believe there is interest, but big fee, big wages (& COVID) are big factors to consider.