Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

24 minutes ago, SKD said:

Personally, I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. Stephens, vestergaard and Bednerak all pretty average. 

Indeed.

Vestergaard won't be missed, and whilst Stephens and Bednarek had an excellent end of the season, they're not VVD quality.

9 minutes ago, igsey said:

For anyone who missed it in the Obafemi thread, LeG (one of our only bonafide ITKs) said "I also believe we could be forced back into the market for another CB. Classic saints im afraid. "

Which I would take to mean Bednarek most likely is going, I think he was linked to Chelsea a few weeks ago..?

Wonder if that Chelsea rumour was true, means they are missing out on Declan Rice then. We should get a fair bit from Chelsea for Bednarek.

3 minutes ago, Nolan said:

You've not seen the values for centre backs with regular PL experience recently? Bednarek would be 30-40 million.

Again - not a pop but I would be stunned if we got 40M for Bed - really would!

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Indeed.

Vestergaard won't be missed, and whilst Stephens and Bednarek had an excellent end of the season, they're not VVD quality.

Well no, they are clearly not VVD quality but with him being arguably the best centre back in the world that still allows scope for them being kind of decent. Like Jan a lot and would be disappointed to see him go but if someone comes knocking with a silly offer then doubtless we'll take it.

16 minutes ago, trousers said:

£15m IMO

He is worth considerably more than that. He is 24 years old and is a regular starter for Poland/a mid table Premier League team and has 2 years left of his contract. £15m to £20m is the price of a good Championship centre back. If Chelsea really do want him then that highlights his quality is far above Championship level.

Edited by Matthew Le God

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is worth considerably more than that. He is 24 years old and is a regular starter for Poland/a mid table Premier League team and has 2 years left of his contract. £15m is the price of a Championship centre back. If Chelsea really do want him then that highlights his quality is far above Championship level.

Agreed. I’d say closer to 35m tbh

I really don’t think any of the CBs we’ve watched this season ave been anything other than average. As well as we ended the season, JB and JS are both prone to the odd clanger, ball watching and some bizarre positional choices at times. CB is our weakest position and I wouldn’t shed a tear over any of them leaving.

44 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He is worth considerably more than that. He is 24 years old and is a regular starter for Poland/a mid table Premier League team and has 2 years left of his contract. £15m to £20m is the price of a good Championship centre back. If Chelsea really do want him then that highlights his quality is far above Championship level.

It was an opinion. Opinions can be wrong, ergo I'm happy to be wrong.

54 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Agree with what you say about his valuation, but the contract issue is probably the critical issue having seen Hojbjerg's transfer fee reduced by being in his final year I doubt the club want to see the same happening with Bednarek if he's not shown a willingness to extend. 

49 minutes ago, Webby said:

Agreed. I’d say closer to 35m tbh

But we're Saints, and doubt we'll extract the full value. Can't see him going to a big 6 although perhaps Leicester have stumbled across him as an alternative to Vestergaard. Now that would be galling to lose Bednarek, and end up with that plank still here.

But as Lighthouse says none of the CB's have been that reliable this season, so not too attached to any of them leaving. 

59 minutes ago, trousers said:

It was an opinion. Opinions can be wrong, ergo I'm happy to be wrong.

Behave - you're not supposed to have those on here 🙂

I'd still settle for 10M for Bed - even though it's not my money or call!

3 hours ago, Red said:

Not having a go - it's all about opinions at the end of the day after all, but I can't see how MO is worth anywhere near 20M? I would take 10M for him and 8M for Reed, and if Bednerak can be shifted for 10M, then get Hinterlagger (or whatever his name is) and I think we would be sorted. MO will not be a regular in our team anytime soon (not less than 3 years at minimum). A decent box to box MF would be cherry on top, but none of the one's mentioned so far, and I think we would be priced out of a decent upcoming one. Would take a punt on Ramsey on a pay per play deal (yea get he's not our profile and all that, but for a year or two he would be good and might coach WS etc.)

Surely its vestergard we should be looking to shift over bednerak? 

1 minute ago, the saint in winchester said:

Heavens above, it won't be Bednarek. If anyone is going, it will either be Stephens or Vester. JS is English so is in demand, and Vester is second fiddle and would want to be first choice.

Jan B will be staying. If I'm wrong, you can pelt me with words.

Of the three, which one do you think has the ambition, and is more likely to believe they could be playing CL ? 

Similarly which one is more likely to be in demand elsewhere?

Not sure the 'English premium' is sufficient to change that. If so, perhaps we can also flog Forster, Redmond and Adams for £30m each.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I really don’t think any of the CBs we’ve watched this season ave been anything other than average. As well as we ended the season, JB and JS are both prone to the odd clanger, ball watching and some bizarre positional choices at times. CB is our weakest position and I wouldn’t shed a tear over any of them leaving.

Same. They have both improved, Stephens especially, but niether are that good.

Where did the Bednarek / Chelsea rumour start?

I had a vague memory of an interview he did where he spoke about moving to a "bigger club".

This is from January 2019, FYI:

----------------------------

“I would be stupid if I was thinking about the transfer because I played eight games. I have to build my brand here and now, be a starting player for the whole season and only then, possibly, I can think about the next step,” he said.

“You cannot jump to another shelf immediately, because you will fall from it. If I follow these steps, it may be a consequence to go to a bigger club.

“It does not matter what will happen in a month, two or three. I do not bother thinking about it. The most important thing is that I play well and work hard. Maybe someday I will get a reward for it, today I do not know what yet, but some reward will come.”

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-player-hopeful-reward-will-come-form-transfer-another-club/

----------------------------

On 15/07/2020 at 14:06, SuperSAINT said:

Not seen the link, but apparently CalcioMercato is saying we've put a bid in.

Source: https://www.calciomercato.it/2020/08/16/calciomercato-napoli-roma-nunez-southampton/

Edited by SuperSAINT
Link added

23 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Is he any good?

Very highly rated apparently. I saw an article ages ago (we were linked a few months back too) and he was looked at as being the 'new' Cavani (maybe that's because he's Uruguayann). Got a low release clause as Almeria weren't promoted I don't think.

Big clubs like Napoli, Dortmund and Roma have sniffed/are sniffing as well as Wolfsburg, and they're no mugs when it comes to identifying talent.

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Very highly rated apparently. I saw an article ages ago (we were linked a few months back too) and he was looked at as being the 'new' Cavani (maybe that's because he's Uruguayann). Got a low release clause as Almeria weren't promoted I don't think.

Big clubs like Napoli, Dortmund and Roma have sniffed/are sniffing as well as Wolfsburg, and they're no mugs when it comes to identifying talent.

Interesting the Cavani comparison - just looked and Nunez is about 6’2. Links to Chris Wood yesterday (probably false) but wasn’t it said Ralph’s style normally incorporates a big CF for players to play off. Poulsen at Leipzig springs to mind. These links to big CF’s may not be a coincidence...