Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Been told we are very interested in bringing in a Arsenal youngster in a permanent deal.

He’s a striker who we hope will give us options off the bench.

Which presumably means one of our existing strikers would be off? Surely there's not room for 5.

1 minute ago, Suhari said:

Which presumably means one of our existing strikers would be off? Surely there's not room for 5.

& we don’t usually spend £8m+ to say: “we’re a little short of firepower in the U23’s” (or ‘B’ team)

With that said... I do like the idea of signing really young talented players.

9 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Not sure how I feel about a football writer/journo passing judgement on a players ability. I think the numerous club scouts, analysts and RH will make that assessment for themselves thanks Carl

Yeah agree, seems a bit of an inappropriate comment really.

And even if he was right, some would argue Saints have an established recent track record of signing "not particularly good footballers" so that in itself wouldn't rule this rumour out!

45 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Not sure how I feel about a football writer/journo passing judgement on a players ability. I think the numerous club scouts, analysts and RH will make that assessment for themselves thanks Carl

It's a strange comment.

The only thing it tells us is that this journo is absolutely certain we're not interested at all.

Because as the official Saints reporter for The Athletic he must be certain that he won't need to interview or profile this guy anytime soon. Imagine if he signed next week and poor old Carl has to write that up.

BBC Sport Gossip page has us via The Mirror sniffing around Harry Wilson along with Leeds, Toon, and Palace Liverpool have valued him at £20m (he was an loan for the Cherrys last season for those unaware).

Pirlo apparently doesnt want Ramsey next year at Juve so all and sundry will be linked with him. Same pages Chris ' I like your shirt give it to me now in the penalty box' Smalling linked to Inter for a bang average player he still seems to be carving out a career with household name teams, unlike so many who have withered on the Man U tree and been cast out. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53727766

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

BBC Sport Gossip page has us via The Mirror sniffing around Harry Wilson along with Leeds, Toon, and Palace Liverpool have valued him at £20m (he was an loan for the Cherrys last season for those unaware).

Pirlo apparently doesnt want Ramsey next year at Juve so all and sundry will be linked with him. Same pages Chris ' I like your shirt give it to me now in the penalty box' Smalling linked to Inter for a bang average player he still seems to be carving out a career with household name teams, unlike so many who have withered on the Man U tree and been cast out. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53727766

Tbf Smalling has been very good out on loan Iirc!?

8 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Oliver Skipp on loan as part of the Hojbjerg transfer? Young central midfielder.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18641472.amp/?__twitter_impression=true

While I know very little of Skipp, the Spurs fans on the Fighting Cock forum seem to really rate him as an energetic, all action defensive midfielder and potentially top prospect. As has been said before though by others, I'm not keen on developing other team's youngsters for them when we could do the same to our own. Spurs will want him to go on loan to us because they can see how much KWP's loan developed him, although luckily he was surplus to requirements there and we are able to sign him. That won't be the same for Skipp, whom Spurs will want to keep, especially if he has a successful loan. 

If it's a loan with an option, then it would be a good deal, but from what I've seen he's 19 and has a big future at Spurs. Still in Ralph we trust.

Edited by SNSUN

9 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

He’s a football journalist. Giving his opinion on things relating to football is kind of what he gets paid to do?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

While I know very little of Skipp, the Spurs fans on the Fighting Cock forum seem to really rate him as an energetic, all action defensive midfielder and potentially top prospect. As has been said before though by others, I'm not keen on developing other team's youngsters for them when we could do the same to our own. Spurs will want him to go on loan to us because they can see how much KWP's loan developed him, although luckily he was surplus to requirements there and we are able to sign him. That won't be the same for Skipp, whom Spurs will want to keep, especially if he has a successful loan. 

If it's a loan with an option, then it would be a good deal, but from what I've seen he's 19 and has a big future at Spurs. Still in Ralph we trust.

he signed a new 3yr contract with Spurs last month. would be a very curious arrival.

8 minutes ago, igsey said:

He needs to sort his hair out.  I presume the photo was taken pre-lockdown so there's really very little excuse for that kind of behaviour. 

Outside of that I've been raving about the kid for years - pace to burn, wand of a left foot, hammer of a right foot, great touch for a big man, great in the air for a little bloke (leaps like a salmon!), does the simple things well and the complicated things simply, great composure for one so young and hungrier than Ghandi.  The kid has a bright future (hair aside).

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

He needs to sort his hair out.  I presume the photo was taken pre-lockdown so there's really very little excuse for that kind of behaviour. 

Outside of that I've been raving about the kid for years - pace to burn, wand of a left foot, hammer of a right foot, great touch for a big man, great in the air for a little bloke (leaps like a salmon!), does the simple things well and the complicated things simply, great composure for one so young and hungrier than Ghandi.  The kid has a bright future (hair aside).

IF he doesn't maybe we could loan him to Barnet

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Would anyone touch Fraser who left Bournemouth...still without a club, decent hard working player who could suit our system.

It's an emphatic NO from me. Resisted attempts to have Bournemouth extend his contract, so left on a free on 30th June. Then when season was extended, told Bournemouth he would play on to the end of the season for £100k a week! Howe was right to decline that!

So he's self-centred and money grabbing, not what we need at all. Crystal Palace are in for him, so he'll get fixed up.

23 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

It's an emphatic NO from me. Resisted attempts to have Bournemouth extend his contract, so left on a free on 30th June. Then when season was extended, told Bournemouth he would play on to the end of the season for £100k a week! Howe was right to decline that!

So he's self-centred and money grabbing, not what we need at all. Crystal Palace are in for him, so he'll get fixed up.

Didn’t he also admit to not playing for the team in the 1st part of the season too.

3 hours ago, revolution saint said:

5 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

How come when he's only 16 🤣

Nothing gets past you does it Charlie?  You must be like some kind of MI5 genius or something!  OK, I'll admit it - I've never ever seen him play but tell me one thing - how on earth did you figure it out?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, igsey said:

I have friends whose nippers are at the academy at Walsall and they speak very highly of him.

It was expected he'd end up and Wolves, Baggies or Villa.

13 hours ago, labibs said:

He’s a football journalist. Giving his opinion on things relating to football is kind of what he gets paid to do?

Yeah because theres plenty of journos who comment on player ability. Whats he basing the assessment on? Has he watched plenty of Schalke or USA games. Needs to give us something to back up his assessment. Lazy 'journalism' if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yeah because theres plenty of journos who comment on player ability. Whats he basing the assessment on? Has he watched plenty of Schalke or USA games. Needs to give us something to back up his assessment. Lazy 'journalism' if you ask me.

He’s written an entire article on this issue. Why don’t you read it rather than dismissing as lazy journalism? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Anyone who watched Schalke last season, and they were on BT an awful lot, will tell you he was bang average in a bang average team.

Also, the Athletic writers know their shit.

1 minute ago, View From The Top said:

Anyone who watched Schalke last season, and they were on BT an awful lot, will tell you he was bang average in a bang average team.

Also, the Athletic writers know their shit.

Do they now? Then if he knows his shit he could easily write an informed article outlining exactly why hes not good enough for saints, as opposed to a comment in a tweet. Clearly he loves Harrison Reed and wants to see him given a chance. But sure he knows his shit better than us mere fans

5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Do they now? Then if he knows his shit he could easily write an informed article outlining exactly why hes not good enough for saints, as opposed to a comment in a tweet. Clearly he loves Harrison Reed and wants to see him given a chance. But sure he knows his shit better than us mere fans

It would appear so in your case.

7 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I can tell you for sure, that Anka will know more about him than most saints fans.  

saying he’s not very good is obviously his opinion and one that can be debated, and ultimately it’s only Ralph’s opinion that matters, but having seen the way he works and his questions I’m press conferences, he’ll have looked at games and stats to come to that conclusion. 

Remember when everyone kept telling us Carrillo was shit, before he signed

Only for lunatics to claim he had a good goal scoring record etc

Of the journos out there, the Athletic lot are some of the best

Edited by Batman

Arsenal are eyeing a £25m move for Ajax ace Quincy Promes, according to The Sun.

Name from the past....

Not sure how much we would/wouldn't pay back during that il-fated January? I remember when we sold Virgil there was lots of bluster from Reed and co feeding the media 'We want Theo, Sessengen, Promes...''. We wouldn't be forced into overpaying for Promes etc.

We ended up with Carrillo and paid 19m for the privilege. The worst transfer window in my memory!

Edited by S-Clarke

I see Palace have had an initial bid of £12m rejected for Emi Buendia from Norwich (which seems low for a chap who created the 3rd most chances in the league?)

(Including his seven assists, Buendia has created 81 chances this term, putting him ahead of the likes of James Maddison, Riyad Mahrez and Mohamed Salah)

Norwich City have set the benchmark for any deal involving their young players at the same price they received for James Maddison from Leicester City in 2018 - believed to be in excess of £20million (British Tax and a different time in the world)

would love him at the club - wonder if £15/18m would get him?

17 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

I see Palace have had an initial bid of £12m rejected for Emi Buendia from Norwich (which seems low for a chap who created the 3rd most chances in the league?)

(Including his seven assists, Buendia has created 81 chances this term, putting him ahead of the likes of James Maddison, Riyad Mahrez and Mohamed Salah)

Norwich City have set the benchmark for any deal involving their young players at the same price they received for James Maddison from Leicester City in 2018 - believed to be in excess of £20million (British Tax and a different time in the world)

would love him at the club - wonder if £15/18m would get him?

I don't think he fits in our system, he'd have to compete with Armstrong/Redmond for a spot and from what I saw of Norwich last season, he's not nearly hard working enough.

Premier league club FC Southampton has apparently become aware of VfB midfielder Orel Mangala while looking for a replacement for Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg (on the way to Tottenham Hotspur). As it is said from England, the eleventh place in the table of the past season would be ready to shell out eleven million euros for the Belgian. According to information from our editorial team, however, no offer has yet been received. With Mangala (contract until 2023), VfB has top priority - a departure this summer cannot be ruled out. The top French clubs Olympique Marseille, OGC Nice and Olympique Lyon, among others, recently had an eye on the 22-year-old.

47 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

The actual report just says we watched him. Doesn't mention us in relation to actually making a move to sign him.

Not criticising, just pointing it out as the problem with lots of these sites is their rehash reports bare little resemblence to the original story.

Edited by Dusic

Salisu incoming...

Translation

Today I am writing you this letter, first of all to thank you all for your constant support from day one.

I want to thank all my teammates, coaches and all the staff of this wonderful club. I also want to especially thank my coach, coach Sergio, who has given me the opportunity to play in La Liga despite my little experience. He put his trust in me and I will always be grateful for every opportunity he gave me!

Also to my teammates for pushing me and making me a better player and for trusting me from day one. Of course I also thank the president, Ronaldo, very much. For me it has been a dream to play for someone who has achieved so much in football.

I would also like to thank all the fans, you have been incredible to me and I am very grateful for all the love you have shown me. Thanks for your patience and encouragement! You have always pushed me to get my confidence high and you have always made me feel so loved both on the pitch and off, now another opportunity has presented itself and it has always been my dream to play in the Premier League.

As I leave Valladolid to continue living my dreams, I carry on with a heavy heart leaving this incredible club. I came here as a child and I am leaving as a man. I do it with the hope that you will always remember me as a good person and a true professional who happily gave everything for the jersey and this great club!

When I leave and move towards my next challenge, I will always have you close to my heart and I hope that 1 day we will meet again knowing that we have all done great things.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

27 minutes ago, Saint-Armstrong said:

Salisu incoming...

Translation

Today I am writing you this letter, first of all to thank you all for your constant support from day one.

I want to thank all my teammates, coaches and all the staff of this wonderful club. I also want to especially thank my coach, coach Sergio, who has given me the opportunity to play in La Liga despite my little experience. He put his trust in me and I will always be grateful for every opportunity he gave me!

Also to my teammates for pushing me and making me a better player and for trusting me from day one. Of course I also thank the president, Ronaldo, very much. For me it has been a dream to play for someone who has achieved so much in football.

I would also like to thank all the fans, you have been incredible to me and I am very grateful for all the love you have shown me. Thanks for your patience and encouragement! You have always pushed me to get my confidence high and you have always made me feel so loved both on the pitch and off, now another opportunity has presented itself and it has always been my dream to play in the Premier League.

As I leave Valladolid to continue living my dreams, I carry on with a heavy heart leaving this incredible club. I came here as a child and I am leaving as a man. I do it with the hope that you will always remember me as a good person and a true professional who happily gave everything for the jersey and this great club!

When I leave and move towards my next challenge, I will always have you close to my heart and I hope that 1 day we will meet again knowing that we have all done great things.