Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

Have to agree,  don't particularly rate Hoj or Kwp but despite what most fans think of Hoj he does do a certain job well, which is why Jose wants him, id tell Hoj if he wants to go hand in a request to forfeit any bonuses hes owed, if not play hardball,  Spurs will need him and wont wait a season for him especially if Ndombele goes to Inter. Kwp is imo only being lauded as Valery is so bad, really think we could do much better, if not then 10m surely has to be the ceiling we'd pay, so far hopefully reports of players plus 3m are wide of the mark and Semmens can add some backbone to Saints

Everyone in the bottom half would be happy to take Watkins, very good player. I'd be happy with him for sure, though not sure it's where we'll be prioritising our funds this window - especially given Long has signed his new deal. Unless we're looking to sell Adams and replace with Watkins...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53662774

BBC running the Watkins availability story too. Unless we hit the jackpot shifting our loan army I can't see us affording him/prioritising the forward positions but he would be a top signing at a reasonable price. If the stars aligned we could then look at loaning out Obefemi for consistent game time next season.

I think he has enough versatility to be effective in the 2 behind the strikers for us too so maybe worth a look if Boufal moves on too.

34 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Everyone in the bottom half would be happy to take Watkins, very good player. I'd be happy with him for sure, though not sure it's where we'll be prioritising our funds this window - especially given Long has signed his new deal. Unless we're looking to sell Adams and replace with Watkins...

Agree Watkins does look a good player but difficult to judge how well he'll do in the premier league.  I guess the question is whether he'll be better in his first season than Che Adams after a season of adapting to the pace and power of the division and starting to show some of the form people were expecting from him.  No one really knows the answer to that so it's a gamble (as all transfers are).  Course that's assuming Adams would go if Watkins were to come in.  It's not really a priority for us and I don't see Ralph giving up on Adams yet either. 

Defence looks as though it's getting sorted and as long as we replace Hojberg then I think we're in a better position than the start of last year.  I'm still hopeful that Djenepo will play a much bigger part this season and will remain fit.  Generally speaking I think the system we play is quite difficult for players to get their heads around and be fit enough to operate so there may be a longer acclimatisation period for new players than would otherwise be the case.  

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Agree with pretty much all this - & Che’s form at the end of the season probably rules out the last bit. 

Villa favourites for Watkins, I’d say.

Fulham linked with KWP: 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-news-fulham-southampton-walker-peters-sessegnon-clarke-skipp-a4517276.html

Edited by SuperSAINT

13 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

5 hours ago, danjosaint said:

Have to agree,  don't particularly rate Hoj or Kwp but despite what most fans think of Hoj he does do a certain job well, which is why Jose wants him, id tell Hoj if he wants to go hand in a request to forfeit any bonuses hes owed, if not play hardball,  Spurs will need him and wont wait a season for him especially if Ndombele goes to Inter. Kwp is imo only being lauded as Valery is so bad, really think we could do much better, if not then 10m surely has to be the ceiling we'd pay, so far hopefully reports of players plus 3m are wide of the mark and Semmens can add some backbone to Saints

Its funny how we as fans see things so differently. I think KWP looks a class act and is the right back we have been crying out for since Clyne left. He was superb when given a run of games at the end of the season. Would be a cracking buy at the reported 12 million 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saintbenny said:

Its funny how we as fans see things so differently. I think KWP looks a class act and is the right back we have been crying out for since Clyne left. He was superb when given a run of games at the end of the season. Would be a cracking buy at the reported 12 million 

Yeah same for me. Im very happy with this bit of business if it goes thru. All about perspectives I suppose.

4 hours ago, saintbenny said:

It’s a similar situation to when we signed Bertrand on loan to replace Shaw. I’d say the majority of fans were underwhelmed after he had just been part of an Aston Villa side who were abysmal but what a great signing he has been. At least KWP has already shown what he can do in the post-lockdown fixtures. I’ll be very pleased if/when we get this over the line.

4 hours ago, saintbenny said:

I posted initially after his first 4/5 games that I didnt think KWP was very good. However his performances in the last few games proved me wrong. It'll be a decent bit of business if we can get him for around 10 million. I wonder why the Maehle interest has disappeared, not just from us but from other clubs. Was linked with quite a few decent clubs at one stage

2 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

Yeah same for me. Im very happy with this bit of business if it goes thru. All about perspectives I suppose.

6 minutes ago, Mikey88 said:

It’s a similar situation to when we signed Bertrand on loan to replace Shaw. I’d say the majority of fans were underwhelmed after he had just been part of an Aston Villa side who were abysmal but what a great signing he has been. At least KWP has already shown what he can do in the post-lockdown fixtures. I’ll be very pleased if/when we get this over the line.

In his early performances post-lockdown I wasn't sure about KWP. There were still concerns about his physical strength and his ability to overlap past the last defender. However, he has performed well and demonstrated great technical skill and a fair amount of pace. He had a poorish game against Man U and made mistakes which he got away with against Man C. However his general performances have been good and I am not too disappointed about him signing, but I am not as gushing as some of the posters on here who seem to think that £12m is cheap. 

My biggest worries remain his lack of size & physicality which is something that is difficult to remedy, plus the fact that Spurs are so happy to let him leave.  Mikey88 compares him to Bertrand but lets not forget that Bertrand had at least 40 games in the Premiership and a European Cup Final under his belt before he joined. His pedigree was strong. KWP is much less proven and I still see significant limitations which will be difficult to overcome - along with some impressive attributes too such as his control and passing.  

Personally I think that £12m is an excessive amount of money for someone with his experience and we may regret this signing once the honeymoon period has gone. Really happy to be wrong with this, but I instinctively feel that we have been too strongly influenced with some good performances in the last few games of the season. But we've seen that before, haven't we ?  Marek Saganowski anyone ? 

2 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

6 minutes ago, Mikey88 said:

In his early performances post-lockdown I wasn't sure about KWP. There were still concerns about his physical strength and his ability to overlap past the last defender. However, he has performed well and demonstrated great technical skill and a fair amount of pace. He had a poorish game against Man U and made mistakes which he got away with against Man C. However his general performances have been good and I am not too disappointed about him signing, but I am not as gushing as some of the posters on here who seem to think that £12m is cheap. 

My biggest worries remain his lack of size & physicality which is something that is difficult to remedy, plus the fact that Spurs are so happy to let him leave.  Mikey88 compares him to Bertrand but lets not forget that Bertrand had at least 40 games in the Premiership and a European Cup Final under his belt before he joined. His pedigree was strong. KWP is much less proven and I still see significant limitations which will be difficult to overcome - along with some impressive attributes too such as his control and passing.  

Personally I think that £12m is an excessive amount of money for someone with his experience and we may regret this signing once the honeymoon period has gone. Really happy to be wrong with this, but I instinctively feel that we have been too strongly influenced with some good performances in the last few games of the season. But we've seen that before, haven't we ?  Marek Saganowski anyone ? 

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

You can scout a payer over a few games and hope that he fits in or a player can train with us for an extended period of time and play a number of competitive matches. Surely if we buy him RH has evaluated him first hand and knows what he is capable of  and his future potential. Surely that’s got to be miles better than reading a report of his performances by a 3rd party? Do you not RH judgement of the ta,ent that he has worked with?

RH's work at Red Bull was more about players fitting into his system rather than being good individual players compared to Bayern, Dortmund etc. He had a couple of stand out players who could also play his way but looking at the team he finished 2nd with in the Bundesliga most EPL fans wouldn't recognise at least half of them. He obviously feels KWP is a player that suits the system. 12m is worth the risk. He needs to develop his defensive part of the game though as wasn't the best. Do that then suddenly he is a 30m plus player fitting our club model of developing and selling for big profits.

Edited by skintsaint

13 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

KWP might not have played many EPL games but he has been a fixture in England age groups teams. There is obviously quality there, it is just of nurturing talent. 12mil would be a steal for a player with his pedigree. 

• Like 1

No links or anything but the Athletic reckons if we were looking for another striker to take the burden of Ings, Patson Daka from RB Salzburg would be a perfect fit for Ralph's system and style of play.

Only 21 and scored 27 in 45 for them last year. 

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

No links or anything but the Athletic reckons if we were looking for another striker to take the burden of Ings, Patson Daka from RB Salzburg would be a perfect fit for Ralph's system and style of play.

I would say we have zero chance of getting him For anything less than £35 - £40m? (Given that clubs always whack on more when it’s a prem club buying) Which we clearly aren’t spending.  He is on the radar of much bigger clubs than us across Europe. May as well link us with someone like Jovic. Not happening

8 minutes ago, labibs said:

I would say we have zero chance of getting him For anything less than £35 - £40m? (Given that clubs always whack on more when it’s a prem club buying) Which we clearly aren’t spending.  He is on the radar of much bigger clubs than us across Europe. May as well link us with someone like Jovic. Not happening

RB Salzburg no longer sell cheap.

Best move would be to just bring in RB Salzburg's head of recruitment.

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

I think he'd be way cheaper than Watkins. 

Watkins apparently has an 18m buy out clause, which is an absolute steal for someone. I can’t see us paying that though. 

shipping out obafemi and bringing in a new striker would show a real sign of intent. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Watched Brentford's last four or five games and he looked pretty poor in all honesty. Obviously had a good season overall though.

I'd heard so many good things about them, so I started watching them from their Stoke away game.....and if i'm truly honest, they have looked utter dross in pretty much most games since then!

To me it looks like they're full of bottle jobs, when the pressure was really on they had no one who stepped up and got them over the line. West Brom kinda went up by default in the end, they should be nailed for 19th or 20th next season, horrific side.

I think Brentford will be picked apart though - they've clearly got good players, I just think I watched them at a bad time! I think Watkins would be a good fit for a club like Villa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Rather get their other Zambian Enock Mwepu.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/enock-mwepu-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

2 hours ago, labibs said:

People always say this but the guy he replace Haaland was bought for 22m (release clause) and Mino R another 10m on top of that.

For a guy like that I'd reckon 15-20 mil would do it and HE HAS THE SAME AGENT AS MOUSSA

Also Shon Weisman has better stats than him this year in the league and plays a pressing game - https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/shon-weissman-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

Edited by Convict Colony
better article

Weird. Maybe I'm ITK, I signed him on FM for my Southampton team. Looked for specific attributes which are good for midfielders deployed in a high press/counter pressing team, he came pretty high up on my affordable targets.

Very good as well, for what it's worth.

But back in the real world...

12 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

People always say this but the guy he replace Haaland was bought for 22m (release clause) and Mino R another 10m on top of that.

For a guy like that I'd reckon 15-20 mil would do it and HE HAS THE SAME AGENT AS MOUSSA

Also Shon Weisman has better stats than him this year in the league and plays a pressing game - https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/shon-weissman-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

Except they have already turned down a bid of €30m euros for him from Lille. That’s about £27-28m. So same agent aside, £15m prob doesn’t get it done.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lille-make-record-offer-for-patson-daka-salzburg-quot-not-our-plan-to-sell-him-quot-/view/news/366101

9 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Seems Arsenal were among teams looking at Mangala not long ago. It sounds like he has potential but isn’t the finished article yet- the sort of signing Ralph likes. 

http://sportwitness.co.uk/arsenal-sniffed-around-signing-e20m-mystery-offer-made-second-division-player/

Great in theory, but could be another Danso rather than a Mane.

Edited by Badger

8 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Seems Arsenal were among teams looking at Mangala not long ago. It sounds like he has potential but isn’t the finished article yet- the sort of signing Ralph likes. 

http://sportwitness.co.uk/arsenal-sniffed-around-signing-e20m-mystery-offer-made-second-division-player/

Yep this guy fits the Saints player profile. Maximize his potential then sell him on in three/four years for a big profit......and if it doesn't work out whats £10 million these days in football?

12 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

This Twitter account is followed by Simon Peach of the Press Association...

Seems strange to buy a midfielder who has done ok from the German second tier for £10m and sell one who has done great in the English second tier for £8m, championship is a significantly higher quality league so why not just give Reed guarantee he is first choice and keep him. Unless the idea is to buy this guy as well as McKennie.