Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’m posting the link, but simultaneously acknowledging that The Express is rubbish...

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1316803/Southampton-transfer-news-Weston-McKennie-Pierre-Emile-Hojbjerg-Tottenham

Don't often read the Express but you do have to smile at journalistic perception as a Saints fan - 'Ralph Hasenhuttl is looking to build on an impressive end to the campaign which saw the Saints finish in 11th and 18 points clear of the relegation zone.'  We were indeed 18 points clear of the 'relegation zone', Arsenal were 22 points clear.  Alternatively Saints were 7 points short of a European spot and 14 points short of Champions League place.  Its a funny old game...would love it if we get McKennie btw. 

22 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Hmm, interesting. Although, like you, I don't see the Express as being gospel truth, I do think we need to set a deadline for Tottenham to make an acceptable bid. If they don't come in with that acceptable bid, then sell him to Everton for £25M and MOVE ON to our recruitment plans.

If we sit on our hands, we'll miss out.

You can't just 'sell' a player under contract, if he does't want to go. He will only move clubs if it suits him, and it suits us.

3 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

True, of course, but did he not meet with Everton and agree a deal?

According to some down there in Southampton, but denied by the Scouse media, so who knows!

Edited by Gingeletiss

43 minutes ago, LeG said:

Personally id like to see us loan out Obafemi and bring in someone like Watkins or the young arsenal striker who is out of contract.

If you mean Folarin Balogun, he isn't out of contract this summer. His contract expires 30th June 2021, so Saints would need to pay a transfer fee. He is also a year younger than Obafemi, so why loan out Obafemi only to bring a younger less experienced striker in to be in the 1st team?

Edited by Matthew Le God

40 minutes ago, LeG said:

Not ITK on this...just an educated guess, but could the club be planning a mass announcement of players / contract renewals at the start of next month? How good would it be if we did one a day! We spent lockdown with our foot on the gas I reckon. 

New contracts for JWP, Bert, Romeu

Signings of Salisu, Rodriguez, CB, McKennie, KWP.

Personally id like to see us loan out Obafemi and bring in someone like Watkins or the young arsenal striker who is OOC. Long should count as a winger now, not a striker. 

More likely the contracts will wait until they come back for preseason training I think. 

LeG - guessing the CB/RB wasn't the player who signed for Brighton - Veltman - as he is predominately a RB that can fill in at CB. Could pay off for Brighton but two big risks they've taken IMO with him and Lallana. Could pay off from them like Ings has with us.

As for PEH, let him rot in the U23s next season unless he gets real. Take the Everton/other offers or become a forgotten man.

2 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

I wonder why the journo states we have to offload PEH first!? All the deals are staged payments, we know PEH is going and will require replacement!

Presumably out of concern that spurs may pull out of a deal at the last minute and screw us, leaving us with a massive financial hole. Or if spurs are smart they could notice we have spent money and know how this means we must sell and use that as a way of getting Hojbjerg significantly cheaper.

6 hours ago, LeG said:

Not ITK on this...just an educated guess, but could the club be planning a mass announcement of players / contract renewals at the start of next month? How good would it be if we did one a day! We spent lockdown with our foot on the gas I reckon. 

New contracts for JWP, Bert, Romeu

Signings of Salisu, Rodriguez, CB, McKennie, KWP.

Personally id like to see us loan out Obafemi and bring in someone like Watkins or the young arsenal striker who is OOC. Long should count as a winger now, not a striker. 

Surely better to do each one separately. More traffic to website, more social media impact etc..

6 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

If you mean Folarin Balogun, he isn't out of contract this summer. His contract expires 30th June 2021, so Saints would need to pay a transfer fee. He is also a year younger than Obafemi, so why loan out Obafemi only to bring a younger less experienced striker in to be in the 1st team?

Possibly because they consider Balogun a better prospect, or a better player who might contribute more now.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/12040157/folarin-balogun-arsenal-demand-8m-for-brentford-target

Can't see us paying that kind of cash for what would be a 5th striker. Assume with Long contract and Adams form that we aren't going to be adding in that position.

Also zero chance Obafemi goes out on loan - would pretty much go against the whole ethos of Saints. Besides i.) He has shown he can contribute at PL level ii.) With his history of hamstring injuries he probably isn't suited to being a Saturday/Tuesday starter at the moment.

Edited by Dusic

27 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/12040157/folarin-balogun-arsenal-demand-8m-for-brentford-target

Can't see us paying that kind of cash for what would be a 5th striker. Assume with Long contract and Adams form that we aren't going to be adding in that position.

Also zero chance Obafemi goes out on loan - would pretty much go against the whole ethos of Saints. Besides i.) He has shown he can contribute at PL level ii.) With his history of hamstring injuries he probably isn't suited to being a Saturday/Tuesday starter at the moment.

Agree with your points.  

He'll be a cracking signing for somebody though.

10 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Depends if you think the journalist Ryan Taylor is credible or not...

This is a link to the player. No evidence it's credible or not. Poor.

Also as a side note, I think it loses it's credibility when it says we want to finalise a player-cash deal with Spurs when we've specifically and publicly ruled that out.

Edited by Fabrice29

9 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

This is a link to the player. No evidence it's credible or not. Poor.

Also as a side note, I think it loses it's credibility when it says we want to finalise a player-cash deal with Spurs when we've specifically and publicly ruled that out.

Was about to say the same thing, Semmens has explicitly said that we'll be treating KWP and Hojberg as separate deals. I guess it's possible that Spurs have dug their heels in though and said we don't get Kyle if they don't get Pierre - just because we want to do things the right way doesn't mean they do.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

If we sign Weston McKennie, will he be the 2nd USA player Saints have ever had? (After Kasey Keller) ?

We did have Cody Cropper but he never made a senior appearance. 

Sorry - seems it was a fake account of the Leicester writer for The Athletic saying they are pursuing a deal for McKennie and likely to beat Saints to his signature.

School holidays...

Edited by Dusic

28 minutes ago, LeG said:

Salisu done. No 4th centre back unless vesty goes. 

I think there is probably a deal to be done with Vestergaard. He won't want to be 4th choice and is doubtless on decent money that Saints would be happy to shift.

I'm sure we have a young player or two lined up in the event that he goes, and clearly not a senior, £15m plus signing that some goosers suggested.

35 minutes ago, LeG said:

Salisu done. No 4th centre back unless vesty goes. 

Well, obviously. The question is whether we get a 4th CB if he does go. Think it would be a waste of money, 4th choice CBs when playing with 2 are only slightly more likely to play than 3rd choice GKs. Just give the squad place to Klarer.

On the other hand, if we were to further upgrade the first 11 beyond the obvious CB, RB and CM, who would be the most likely to make way? In other words, what would a McCarthy, Bednarek, Bertrand, Ward-Prowse, Armstrong, Redmond, Adams and Ings ranking look like?

Edited by Cartman

12 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Agreed, as I reported earlier in the week. 

Rodriguez to be announced as part of Youth Intake as well. 

I am delighted to announce to the forum that the brand new SFC Away kit will be announced this month. I can NOT reveal my sources, do not PM me.

24 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I am delighted to announce to the forum that the brand new SFC Away kit will be announced this month. I can NOT reveal my sources, do not PM me.

I'm happy to take PMs - never shy away from questions - just only have 3 posts a day.

If you have any questions please ask and I'll get back to you. 

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Any more on the identity of the championship CB you heard about?

No, but then I haven't asked. Its dependent on Vest leaving, and despite the reports there is no real interest at the moment. Will likely drag through to end of transfer window. 

BTW, powers that be are very upset with Hojberg - expect more "media briefings" about us putting him into U23s for the season next week. 

7 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I'm happy to take PMs - never shy away from questions - just only have 3 posts a day.

Will a boy ever be born who can swim faster than a shark?

10 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

No, but then I haven't asked. Its dependent on Vest leaving, and despite the reports there is no real interest at the moment. Will likely drag through to end of transfer window. 

BTW, powers that be are very upset with Hojberg - expect more "media briefings" about us putting him into U23s for the season next week. 

What do Kenyan worms look like 

27 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:
Forest. Southampton very keen on Matty Cash. Want right sider who can play a few roles. Also into McKennie at Schalke. Will be down to prices.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12291617/southampton-nottingham-forest-matty-cash/amp/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebaramp&__twitter_impression=true

Personally for me I don't see Cash as someone who replaces KWP but who offers competition for RB and RM, he is attacking wide player, so would tick both boxes. 

At 12M, seems very affordable to cover both positions. I wonder if we could sweeten the deal and loan Forest Valery for a season.

11 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Don't know how to PM on the new site. Do you know what happened to Cabbage_Face?

16 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Personally for me I don't see Cash as someone who replaces KWP but who offers competition for RB and RM, he is attacking wide player, so would tick both boxes. 

At 12M, seems very affordable to cover both positions. I wonder if we could sweeten the deal and loan Forest Valery for a season.

I think cash could quite easily replace Valery. 5 million should do it.