Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

31 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Article says that we are still interested in Disasi... with this talk of us adding a second Defensive player..  could it be him?..

Any chance of copying the article onto here? 

be surprised is it was Disasi, reports said we were very close to signing him but pulled out at the last minute, presumably to get Salisu.

3 minutes ago, Danbert said:

Fantastic that JWP has signed on for five more years. He could end up being a one-club player. How long is it since Saints last lined up in the Premier League without him?

Good news on the face of it, but we never know the detail of the contract extension, such as any having to notify him of any bid from a CL club etc. Anyway it does appear to show commitment and in the event of any interest from others might protect us from a paltry fee.

28 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

JWP could end up towards the very high end of the total club appearances table. No one is ever going to break the Terry Paine record though, I guess (820-ish?)

He's on 231 appearances already, he's made more than Yaya Toure, Berbatov, Zola, Tim Cahill and plenty of other names considered veterans of the Prem. 

If he carries on till 33/34, he could well end up making more appearances than Friedel, Cech, Shearer, Gary Neville, Ashley and Andy Cole...and yet it was only recently we still had fans claiming he isn't Premier League quality!

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Should've sold him to Watford when we had the chance!

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/16403799.james-ward-prowse-watford-reportedly-make-10-million-bid-for-southampton-midfielder/

to add some context to that!

And yes, we almost let Hughes sell him. Thank goodness we didn't. Shows how completely out of touch that old fool is with football.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

E9Ymh7K.png

That rumour might have some more legs when you look at the above, a high pressing 21 year old that is improving, seems very much Ralph's sort of player.

He still has room to improve as a passer, but he’s been excellent in defensive transition, regularly helping to force turnovers that lead to scoring chances. He’s one of the Bundesliga’s elite pressing players, and he’s improved the rest of his game dramatically as well.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2019/10/11/20909634/weston-mckennie-usa-vs-cuba-2019-concacaf-nations-league-usmnt

Edited by tajjuk

17 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

New contract for Bertrand. Sign up KWP or another suitable right back. Get in this Weston guy or some other CM. Get Salisu over the line plus a back-up CB. Sell PEH to the highest bidder. That’d do, no? 

I'd be happy with that... personally I'd add new contacts for Romeu, Bednarek and Ings too. Also another number 10 to replace Boufal.

9 hours ago, tajjuk said:

E9Ymh7K.png

That rumour might have some more legs when you look at the above, a high pressing 21 year old that is improving, seems very much Ralph's sort of player.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2019/10/11/20909634/weston-mckennie-usa-vs-cuba-2019-concacaf-nations-league-usmnt

Also named after an area of the city so his family must have links to the area. Sounds like a goer. 

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Mohammed Salisu

Axel Disasi

Kyle Walker-Peters

Weston McKennie

That would make for a pretty decent summer if the rumours are true and they complete the deals!

I reckon selling Boufal, Vestagaard and Hojbjerg would cover the costs of all 4 players.

1 minute ago, Pilchards said:

It must be me but I’m not totally impressive with this USA player.

Boufal would look world class on YouTube Compared to him. 

I think it's more about players that fit into Ralph's intense / high-tempo system. Boufal may well be more technically gifted than this McKennie fella but, on first impressions, the latter seems like a better fit to the way we play.

10 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Okay I will add McKennie is no different than Harrison Reed except for the headers.

Is that a bad thing? 🤔

A 6 foot 1 , four year younger version of Harrison Reed who can win headers would be very useful in a high intensity counter-pressing team wouldn't it?

Edited by Matthew Le God

McKennie has been linked with bigger, wealthier teams than us, so whilst I am not suprised we are interested, I am sure it would be a difficult deal to actually make happen.

US players also sought after for commercial reasons I am sure.

Anyone know why he would be available from Schalke for a reasonable sounding fee? Doesn't particularly sound like an upgrade to move from there to a mid table PL side.

Edit: just noticed in the video above he spoke about wanting to move to a PL side in the CL/Europa League.

Edited by Dusic

I know a few watch the Bundesliga and Schalke are often one of the live games with them being such a big club.

Having seen McKennie I can see how he'd fit into the Saints set up and, personally, would consider him an upgrade on PEH but I'm usually a shocking judge as I thought Vestergaard would be a brilliant signing from BMG! 

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

McKennie has been linked with bigger, wealthier teams than us, so whilst I am not suprised we are interested, I am sure it would be a difficult deal to actually make happen.

Anyone know why he would be available from Schalke for a reasonable sounding fee? Doesn't particularly sound like an upgrade to move from there to a mid table PL side.

Edit: just noticed in the video above he spoke about wanting to move to a PL side in the CL/Europa League.

So really, if it comes down to us or Leicester, its an obvious choice for McKennie.

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Those clubs may only have a passing interest and if they don't make a bid or offer regular gametime then the pathway to Saints is easier.

Regarding wanting European football, would he get regular gametime for any of those clubs? He is only 21 years old, and he could use Saints as a stepping stone to such a team in 2 or 3 years time. I would have no issue with that. Better to have extremely promising young players for 2 or 3 years rather than plod along with players the top clubs will never want.

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

So really, if it comes down to us or Leicester, its an obvious choice for McKennie.

Depends how long term his view is.... We are overtly a stepping-stone / shop-window club.... so playing for us for a couple of years *could* end up being the quickest route to one of the traditional top premier league clubs. Leicester are much more likely to want to keep him there for the long term and could therefore actually hold up his progress in the long run.... Perhaps....

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Those clubs may only have a passing interest and if they don't make a bid or offer regular gametime then the pathway to Saints is easier.

Regarding wanting European football, would he get regular gametime for any of those clubs? He is only 21 years old, and he could use Saints as a stepping stone to such a team in 2 or 3 years time. I would have no issue with that. Better to have extremely promising young players for 2 or 3 years rather than plod along with players the top clubs will never want.

Exactly.  Basically what I think of as a “Wanyama” type move.  All the big guns looked at him but none went for him so we gave him the next logical platform. 

36 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Is that a bad thing? 🤔

A 6 foot 1 , four year younger version of Harrison Reed who can win headers would be very useful in a high intensity counter-pressing team wouldn't it?

Also looks to have more pace that Reed. All our midfielders are one paced and it would be helpful to have at least one with some speed. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Mohammed Salisu

Axel Disasi

Kyle Walker-Peters

Weston McKennie

That would make for a pretty decent summer if the rumours are true and they complete the deals!

I've been told that it's not Disasi, but a Championship CB, although not been told who.

Was expecting two contracts to be announced yesterday - seems they are taking a little longer to finalise (although bet everyone can guess the two). 

Edit: @trouserssorry I'm not responding quicker - these 3 posts a day are rather inconsistent and now got no more posts for some reason?? I have given the league above as he asked. 

Edited by Earthworm Jim

7 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I've been told that it's not Disasi, but a Championship CB, although not been told who.

Was expecting two contracts to be announced yesterday - seems they are taking a little longer to finalise (although bet everyone can guess the two). 

KWP & Salisu. However no idea whether you know anything or just guessing based on the same logic as everyone else.

• Confused 1