Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

6 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I've been told that it's not Disasi, but a Championship CB, although not been told who.

Was expecting two contracts to be announced yesterday - seems they are taking a little longer to finalise (although bet everyone can guess the two). 

Bertie & JWP?

Last championship defender I recall being linked to was Dael Fry at Boro.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I've been told that it's not Disasi, but a Championship CB, although not been told who.

Was expecting two contracts to be announced yesterday - seems they are taking a little longer to finalise (although bet everyone can guess the two). 

I'll chuck a few names in there that could fit the bill in that case...

Tosin Adarabioyo (Blackburn)
Dael Fry (Boro)
Nathan Wood (Boro)
Nathan Collins (Stoke)
Joe Rodon (Swansea)
Brandon Cooper (Swansea)
Benjamin Cabango (Swansea)
Cedric Kipre (Wigan)

23 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Bertie & JWP?

Last championship defender I recall being linked to was Dael Fry at Boro.

There were a few links to Jake Cooper from Millwall in March.

Clearly we aren't going to spend big on a 4th CB so could fit the bill and wouldn't join expecting to start games.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-southampton-want-to-blow-aston-villa-out-of-water-to-sign-25-yr-old/

Edit: Scrub this as he signed a new contract a month ago. Seems the links helped him out!

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2020/june/jake-cooper-pens-new-long-term-deal/

Edited by Dusic

19 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Hi @Earthworm Jim... did you take up @LeG's offer over the weekend to DM him the name/nationality etc of the other CB signing that you're aware of? Would be good to have another ratified 'ITK' member on here....

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

Hi @Earthworm Jim... did you take up @LeG's offer over the weekend to DM him the name/nationality etc of the other CB signing that you're aware of? Would be good to have another ratified 'ITK' member on here....

27 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Edit: @trouserssorry I'm not responding quicker - these 3 posts a day are rather inconsistent and now got no more posts for some reason?? I have given the league above as he asked. 

Thanks @Earthworm Jim

@LeG - does that tally with what you know about the second CB we're looking to sign?

Cheers

Edited by trousers

4 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

I get quite excited by the prospect of Saints dipping into the talented pool of Championship players, perhaps even more so than talented players from leagues abroad.

I don't disagree but it's harder to judge their true level when they are after all performing against weaker opposition week after week, as opposed to in top foreign leagues. 

Will Hughes for example was the best young player in the championship a few years back, he's done nothing except get relegated since moving to Watford.

1 hour ago, beavis17 said:

I'll chuck a few names in there that could fit the bill in that case...

Tosin Adarabioyo (Blackburn)
Dael Fry (Boro)
Nathan Wood (Boro)
Nathan Collins (Stoke)
Joe Rodon (Swansea)
Brandon Cooper (Swansea)
Benjamin Cabango (Swansea)
Cedric Kipre (Wigan) 

Is this the first season where we don't get linked to Pontus Jansson😁

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Mohammed Salisu

Axel Disasi

Kyle Walker-Peters

Weston McKennie

That would make for a pretty decent summer if the rumours are true and they complete the deals!

Don't want Salisu and Disasi personally. With Jack and Jan doing well at cb it is a completely unnecessary amount of depth, would make our 4th cb comfortably the best in the league (maybe second after Stones at City). If we are spending the 15-20m on a player which Disasi would cost I would prefer us take a punt on a young promising 10 to compete with Armstrong on the right as I think Djenepo plays similarly to Redmond and if Armstrong is out we don't really have anyone who does what he does (except maybe Smallbone but not sure he is up to it yet).

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Don't want Salisu and Disasi personally. With Jack and Jan doing well at cb it is a completely unnecessary amount of depth,

quite possibly one of the most bizarre statements on here in a long time

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If Vestergaard is sold we'd be down to 2 senior team centre backs. They'd need four for the season, so two additions required.

34 minutes ago, Batman said:

quite possibly one of the most bizarre statements on here in a long time

Ok so assuming that Salisu is being brought in with a mind to start for us. We have Bednarek, Stephens and Salisu all competing for two positions, all seemingly good premier league quality players. Bednarek and Stephens would get into most sides outside the top six (and probably Chelsea in the top 6) and we have to assume Ralph rates Salisu as good enough to compete with both of them. Given this, why on earth would we spend £15-20m or whatever Disasi has been touted as on a 4th cb?! That is madness. There are so many better places it can go: At LB, RB and RM we have youth players as our back up. Surely improving on the quality of competition for places like right mid where Armstrong and Smallbone compete or LB where Volkins and Bertrand compete is a better use of money than competing for who gets the honour of sitting on the bench most of the season. Some clubs don't even put 2 cbs on there bench so we may not even have this player in the matchday squad some weeks, you want to drop 15-20m on that?!

3 quality cbs and an up and coming player is perfectly fine for cb depth. Don't try to overcorrect our team balance problem and swing the pendulum all the other way. I hope this second cb is a young lad worth less than 10m who can improve over time.

EDIT FOR POST LIMIT: Since game week 14 when those two took over as first choice we would have finished 4th in the league with joint 6th least goals conceded. People should rate our defence a bit higher.

Edited by TWar

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

Ok so assuming that Salisu is being brought in with a mind to start for us. We have Bednarek, Stephens and Salisu all competing for two positions, all seemingly good premier league quality players. Bednarek and Stephens would get into most sides outside the top six (and probably Chelsea in the top 6) and we have to assume Ralph rates Salisu as good enough to compete with both of them. Given this, why on earth would we spend 1£5-20m or whatever Disasi has been touted as on a 4th cb?! That is madness. There are so many better places it can go: At LB, RB and RM we have youth players as our back up. Surely improving on the quality of competition for places like right mid where Armstrong and Smallbone compete or LB where Volkins and Bertrand compete is a better use of money than competing for who gets the honour of sitting on the bench most of the season. Some clubs don't even put 2 cbs on there bench so we may not even have this player in the matchday squad some weeks, you want to drop 15-20m on that?!

3 quality cbs and an up and coming player is perfectly fine for cb depth. Don't try to overcorrect our team balance problem and swing the pendulum all the other way. I hope this second cb is a young lad worth less than 10m who can improve over time.

You are overrating Bednarek & Stephens. They are fine, but we really could do with better.

Starting next season with them both is fine, whilst Salisu and perhaps another gets used to Hasenhuttl's tactics and all four can be putting pressure on each other which is healthy for competition.

Edited by Matthew Le God

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If Vestergaard is sold we'd be down to 2 senior team centre backs. They'd need four for the season, so two additions required.

We're never going to be a club thats paying for 4 "starting level" premier league CB's. I get having 3 plus a younger one, like Stephens was the fourth one a few seasons back, but I completely agree that if we rate Bednarek and Stephens as potential starters and I think they deserve that for how they've done this season, then it would be daft to spend the money on an expensive fourth choice CB where we could be spending the money in different positions.

I get we need depth, but that would be similar to spending £13m on Gunn when we already had Forster and McCarthy.  Unnecessary.

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't disagree but it's harder to judge their true level when they are after all performing against weaker opposition week after week, as opposed to in top foreign leagues. 

Will Hughes for example was the best young player in the championship a few years back, he's done nothing except get relegated since moving to Watford.

It’s very hard to judge because there are so many variables.

I’d say Matt Target is a much better footballer than Billy Sharpe or McBurnie, for example, and Josh King is probably better still. Yet somehow two of those nearly ended up qualifying for Europe, one got relegated and one just about stayed up.

Horses for courses, really. Which makes me optimistic because we now have a manager with a clear plan and strategy again. Hughes, Pellegrino and Puel had no. clear plan, so we ended up signing players that, largely, couldn’t deliver what was asked of them.

Is Alfie Jones capable of being 4th choice? Played all season (baring injury) at Gillingham, though as DM. I know he was highly regarded a couple of years back. I’d happily have additional quality all over the pitch but kind of think 3 established cbs with a younger 4th choice is enough for us? 

9 hours ago, Pilchards said:

I reckon selling Boufal, Vestagaard and Hojbjerg would cover the costs of all 4 players.

If only it was that simple. Who will want them and who will pay their wages? Hoj will find a buyer, I hope, but we are stuck with the others----hope I'm wrong

4 hours ago, TWar said:

Don't want Salisu and Disasi personally. With Jack and Jan doing well at cb it is a completely unnecessary amount of depth, would make our 4th cb comfortably the best in the league (maybe second after Stones at City). If we are spending the 15-20m on a player which Disasi would cost I would prefer us take a punt on a young promising 10 to compete with Armstrong on the right as I think Djenepo plays similarly to Redmond and if Armstrong is out we don't really have anyone who does what he does (except maybe Smallbone but not sure he is up to it yet).

We are still defensively poor and despite Stephens and Bednarek having a decent season, they should be no higher than our 2nd and 3rd choice CBs if we really want to push on. Salisu will fit the bill of our 1st choice CB. The pursuit of a championship CB would make sense, somebody who will start as 3rd/4th choice and be pushing to start. We need good competition at that position, havent had it this season. Cant see us bringing in Disasi after Salisu, but if we did it would be a clear message to Stephens/Bednarek that they need to improve again to keep their places

5 hours ago, TWar said:

Ok so assuming that Salisu is being brought in with a mind to start for us. We have Bednarek, Stephens and Salisu all competing for two positions, all seemingly good premier league quality players. Bednarek and Stephens would get into most sides outside the top six (and probably Chelsea in the top 6) and we have to assume Ralph rates Salisu as good enough to compete with both of them. Given this, why on earth would we spend £15-20m or whatever Disasi has been touted as on a 4th cb?! That is madness. There are so many better places it can go: At LB, RB and RM we have youth players as our back up. Surely improving on the quality of competition for places like right mid where Armstrong and Smallbone compete or LB where Volkins and Bertrand compete is a better use of money than competing for who gets the honour of sitting on the bench most of the season. Some clubs don't even put 2 cbs on there bench so we may not even have this player in the matchday squad some weeks, you want to drop 15-20m on that?!

EDIT FOR POST LIMIT: Since game week 14 when those two took over as first choice we would have finished 4th in the league with joint 6th least goals conceded. People should rate our defence a bit higher.

The logic is a bit flawed there. Just because they've formed a good partnership doesn't mean that we need to stop looking at ways to improve that area. You're also massively overrating them. Massively.

You then say that improving the quality of competition is important? So you agree this is a good signing then??

In the summer we will have just Stephens and Bednerak - that's not enough. Vestergaard will go, Danso will return to his parent club, Yoshida has left on a free. Signing a CB for me is number 1 priority, right back next.

Whilst Stephens and Bednerak have performed well our backline lacks pace. Spending £10m on a top league centre back, who has a very high reputation, is one of the most sensible signings this club has made in a long time.

Whislt he may not start straight away, there is a player there who can grow into the squad. This is how you improve a team and keep moving forwards. Sometimes 'good guys' who you liked and did a good job will be left behind as the club moves forward, but that's just part of football.

Edited by S-Clarke

Are people seriously talking about signing a 4th choice CB for upwards of £15m, like Disasi or Colley?

I think you will find that Saints positioning to a player like Saliau, Disasi etc is to come here because you will get a chance to play regularly in the PL at a young age. Not come here and be 4th choice.

Furthermore, our 4th choice this season, Kevin Danso, played a grand total of zero PL games as a centre back.

For those who think we are suddenly going to bump Bednarek or Stephens to 4th choice...you are clueless.

Salisu seems a great signing and he will have come knowing he will get games competing with Stephens and Bednarek.

A 4th CB we sign will not be costing £15m and will not be someone who expects to play every week.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Are people seriously talking about signing a 4th choice CB for upwards of £15m, like Disasi or Colley?

I think you will find that Saints positioning to a player like Saliau, Disasi etc is to come here because you will get a chance to play regularly in the PL at a young age. Not come here and be 4th choice.

Furthermore, our 4th choice this season, Kevin Danso, played a grand total of zero PL games as a centre back.

For those who think we are suddenly going to bump Bednarek or Stephens to 4th choice...you are clueless.

Salisu seems a great signing and he will have come knowing he will get games competing with Stephens and Bednarek.

A 4th CB we sign will not be costing £15m and will not be someone who expects to play every week.

Its very clear to me that we need 4 CBs. Assuming Vestergarrd does go which I hope, Salisu seems a good start. As you say though, spending maybe upwards of 15m on a 4th choice CB does seem excessive for us. However, who's to say this 4th CB is intended to be 4th "choice". As good a season Bednarek and Stephens have had latterley they are both prone to significant mistakes and lapses in concentration; Stephens more so in my opinion. Could it perhaps be that Stephens might be considered as a utility man moving forward, CB, RB and even DCM? Not a bad option on the bench but in the case of a couple of injuries/suspensions will be very useful. In sport improvements of teams will ineitably leave some players behind. Spending well on 2 better CBs than we have makes total sense for me. 

As we will have limited funds, I'd like to think we would prioritise a right back and a replacement for Hojbjerg rather than a 4th centre back (in terms of amount of cash going on each position). I guess it also depends on whether we can persuade someone to buy Vestergaard. 

32 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

As we will have limited funds, I'd like to think we would prioritise a right back and a replacement for Hojbjerg rather than a 4th centre back (in terms of amount of cash going on each position). I guess it also depends on whether we can persuade someone to buy Vestergaard. 

I expect us to get all three.

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

People seem to be forgetting we have the legend in his own lifetime returning to the squad.

Utter weapon though he may be, I actually rate him higher than Vest. I’d be happy with a man of his talent as 4th choice, it’s whether his bellendry will be an issue. I suspect it might be.

We need another striker to partner ings or at least compete with the others.

Ok adams finished the season on a good note but lets be honest if anything happened to ings we are in complete unproven territory and potentially in trouble.. billy sharp is probably as dangerous as our other three options on what they have done so far .

definitely would feel a lot happier if we upgrade this position 

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Ok adams finished the season on a good note but lets be honest if anything happened to ings we are in complete unproven territory and potentially in trouble.. billy sharp is probably as dangerous as our other three options on what they have done so far .

I can see the argument... But unless it's a talented teenager at a cheaper price, I just don't see the budget stretching.

6 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Why would we buy someone that can’t get a game in a defence that’s conceded 60+ goals a season?

He was terrible in games I saw him play.

not all players are just brilliant or awful

could be down to confidence, injuries, internal politics, different manager, different system 

The fact that we were after him before means that that we rate him to fit in with our system / management etc.

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Totally agree. 

After Ings, we might find ourselves struggling up front, especially if its a choice of Long and Obafemi. 

Ideally I'd like to see a forward with a bit of height, a young Pelle, to offer some variation.

11 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Don’t get your hopes up. We’ve given Long a new contract, that’s our cheap solution to that problem, unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

Totally agree. 

After Ings, we might find ourselves struggling up front, especially if its a choice of Long and Obafemi. 

Ideally I'd like to see a forward with a bit of height, a young Pelle, to offer some variation.

We have 4 players fighting for two positions (really one position because ings is first name on the teamsheet.) We aren't going to sign someone else unless we get rid of obafemi. 

39 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

We spent £15m on Adams and have £15m Carillo out on loan plus Long and Obafemi.

There is no way on planet earth we are going to sign another forward.

54 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We have 4 players fighting for two positions (really one position because ings is first name on the teamsheet.) We aren't going to sign someone else unless we get rid of obafemi. 

Obafemi is basically still youth.probably not gonna hurt us wages wise. And is ok to have around to see if he develops well.

long is actually useful works hard causes problems but is proven in his non scoring

the fact that adams was behind both of the former for large parts of the season doesn’t exactly inspire huge confidence.Couple of goals towards the end but would not want to rely on him if ings was out.

on paper it just looks very weak in depth 

9 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Obafemi is basically still youth.probably not gonna hurt us wages wise. And is ok to have around to see if he develops well.

long is actually useful works hard causes problems but is proven in his non scoring

the fact that adams was behind both of the former for large parts of the season doesn’t exactly inspire huge confidence.Couple of goals towards the end but would not want to rely on him if ings was out.

on paper it just looks very weak in depth 

We have a small budget. We've spaffed loads in the attacking area of the last few years. We've been woefully weak in defence for about three years now. That's the priority and where we should be spending the majority of our budget along with cm. We will look to continue to develop obafemi and Adams.