Jump to content

Summer 2020 transfer business


Recommended Posts

An intersting one Tom Davies. When he arrived on the scene - I think under the lying dutchman - I thought he looked a decent prospect, full of energy, fairly combative and a reasonable element of skill. In the last season or so he seems to have stalled, and heres the thing, is that him, hit his level, or ist it down to the few changes of managers Everton have had? I think it may well be a decent signing as he will have a chance to get his career really going in a team where he can become first choice in the midfiled, whereas at Everton he will not. We can certainly do better but if we end up with him Romeu, JWP and the kids thats better than it is now!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I've only see Davies v us and I'm not sure that is enough data to go one but he looked more positive than Hoj in going forward so dug out a scout report.

He's also 5ft 11 so is taller than i remember and apparently his height is one of his strengths and it plays an important role in winning take-ons, interceptions and tackles.

To be honest reading just this and how Ralph likes us to play i think he could be another recycled gem a la Bertrand/Romeu vein.

.http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/02/16/scout-report-tom-davies-the-emerging-everton-and-england-starlet/

"So he can be considered as an attacking minded central midfielder with good offensive traits who can defend well. 

 

Edited by Convict Colony
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest I've only see Davies v us and I'm not sure that is enough data to go one but he looked more positive than Hoj in going forward so dug out a scout report.

He's also 5ft 11 so is taller than i remember and apparently his height is one of his strengths and it plays an important role in winning take-ons, interceptions and tackles.

To be honest reading just this and how Ralph likes us to play i think he could be another recycled gem a la Bertrand/Romeu vein.

.http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/02/16/scout-report-tom-davies-the-emerging-everton-and-england-starlet/

"So he can be considered as an attacking minded central midfielder with good offensive traits who can defend well. 

 

Bit I'm uneasy with is, Loaning him in to improve a player for another side., then he goes back polished.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Hahahahaha I was wondering when someone would bring up his fashion gear.

 

Didnt hurt the dude on the left with his hatrick, absolute numpties though, Bellerin has a lot to answer for influencing these fools

24694040-0-image-a-32_1581596549723.jpg

Edited by Convict Colony
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GGalpin said:

Managed to get behind their paywall by watching a sponsor video.

Southampton is negotiating with Sporting to sign Jovane Cabral, Record knows. Negotiations are well underway and the parties involved believe that they can be successful. As far as it was possible to ascertain, at this time the English emblem is making an effort to reach the 20 million euros required by the green and white SAD, and there is still the possibility of placing a percentage of future sales or added value in the final agreement. .

These details are being worked on, although the Saints have not yet reached the money - for the transfer of Jovane - considered as minimal by the society chaired by Frederico Varandas. What is certain is that they remain very committed to hiring the 22-year-old striker, who took the leap into the limelight after the resumption of Liga NOS, following the stoppage decreed by the Government due to the state of emergency caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

 

 

Where is the obligatory YouTube video?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Bit I'm uneasy with is, Loaning him in to improve a player for another side., then he goes back polished.

Better than getting relegated and we aren’t competing with Everton any more.

Edited by benjii
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Bit I'm uneasy with is, Loaning him in to improve a player for another side., then he goes back polished.

I’ve never really understood this line of thinking, seems a bit ‘cut off your nose to spite your face’. Why would you not take a player who would improve your team, simply to shaft Everton in a very minor way? Personally, if someone said we could loan a player from Pompey, who’d score 20 goals from central midfield this season, I’d take it.
 

Whether or not you actually rate TD is a different question.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a minor caveat for him, that was New York Fashion week I think so kind of expected to dress a bit, lets call it flamboyantly.

My main worry would be Everton have literally bought in 3 centre-mids because their midfield was so crap last year. Particular complaints that they weren't physical/hard working enough.

But as someone above said, my recollection of him when he first arrived on the scene was of a very busy energetic player box to box type player who was pretty solid technically. He seems to have regressed a little but who knows whether that is the mess that Everton have been over the last two years and he might shine under better management or whether he is just at that level. 

Our loan to buy policy on a few other players has worked out ok, so as long as their is an agreed fee option in there if he turns out good then its probably ok as its fairly low risk and as Everton need to shift players then we can probably negotiate a favourable deal, but if he's our only solution its a bit of worry, why not keep Reed? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

As a minor caveat for him, that was New York Fashion week I think so kind of expected to dress a bit, lets call it flamboyantly.

My main worry would be Everton have literally bought in 3 centre-mids because their midfield was so crap last year. Particular complaints that they weren't physical/hard working enough.

But as someone above said, my recollection of him when he first arrived on the scene was of a very busy energetic player box to box type player who was pretty solid technically. He seems to have regressed a little but who knows whether that is the mess that Everton have been over the last two years and he might shine under better management or whether he is just at that level. 

Our loan to buy policy on a few other players has worked out ok, so as long as their is an agreed fee option in there if he turns out good then its probably ok as its fairly low risk and as Everton need to shift players then we can probably negotiate a favourable deal, but if he's our only solution its a bit of worry, why not keep Reed? 

Because Reed hasn’t played for us for 3 yearA and wanted to leave perhaps?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Turkish said:

As are most of the premier league. We have to sell to buy no one else does. 

Indeed.  You look at Everton's mids/fwds who aren't their first choice.

Delph, Sigurdsson, Gbamin, Davies, Gomes, Besic, Walcott, Iwobi, Sandro, Bolasie, Tosun, Bernard, Gordon, Kean....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

As are most of the premier league. We have to sell to buy no one else does. 

It's a very, very frustrating and self defeating way. It's not being 'sustainable', it's actually the least sustainable way to run a PL football club, as you'll just get left far behind.

We can't even afford a loan before we hunt for someone to sell, it's so depressing. We shout about this model like it's some sort of magic though, but it's just self defeating.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what you are talking about , I'd reckon about half the PL clubs are run sustainably and have to balance the books, even Liverpool. 

Leicester having been selling a major player pretty much every season to fund investments for the last 4 years.

We've just effed it up because our recent signings are crap so haven't had good re-sale value. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom Davies has had the odd good game for Everton, but all you can really say about him is that he is an improvement on Smallbone. 

When we last played them, I thought he had majorly on the pies, looked very overweight. On top of that, I am not sure that going to New York fashion week is the sign of a career focused lifestye.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Turkish - any update mate, on the latest in our CM targets? I must admit Tom Davies would not be at the top of my list. We would have been better off keeping hold of Harrison Reed in my opinion. Still hoping we get the Celtic midfielder :)

 

Edited by davefizzy14
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Turkish - any update mate, on the latest in our CM targets? I must admit Tom Davies would not be at the top of my list. We would have been better off keeping hold of Harrison Reed in my opinion. Still hoping we get the Celtic midfielder :)

 

Personally, I think Ntcham would be a poor signing. Celtic fans don't rate him, apparently a lazy player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As predicted, we're going for a loan option, although I think I said I thought it would be someone from Liverpool or Spurs.

All the talk of the likes of McKennie and Ntcham was just hot air. We've clearly got no money and have resorted to the loan signing of a player who is probably no better than one who we've just offloaded to Fulham. 

As others have said. What's the obsession with shopping in poundland? This club is so fucking frustrating. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

As predicted, we're going for a loan option, although I think I said I thought it would be someone from Liverpool or Spurs.

All the talk of the likes of McKennie and Ntcham was just hot air. We've clearly got no money and have resorted to the loan signing of a player who is probably no better than one who we've just offloaded to Fulham. 

As others have said. What's the obsession with shopping in poundland? This club is so fucking frustrating. 

 

 

Probably the same reason that people who live on the dole are ‘obsessed‘ with shopping in Poundland.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

West Brom in for Ntcham. I have said before, I don't think he is the type of player we need.

Davies is an interesting one. I just don't think he is a no6. He is more of a JWP/Armstrong hybrid IMO.

If we were to sign him and someone else as a true no6 then Im not against bringing him in, as its low risk.

But we have known Hojbjerg was likely to leave for a year, and there is no way Davies was even in the top 5 replacements we had identified. Probably not even top 10.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we've got the £20m sloshing around for Cabral, why not just go all out for Rashica who has a decent track record in a stronger league ?

Answering my own question, I doubt we've got £20m, and probably not intested in Cabral either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Davies would be fine as a loan or cheap buy IF it's as well as a proper CM signing. We do need 2 extra there really, but I doubt he'd swap Everton for not starting with us. A loan for him just makes me think we'd broke. Guess we'll see, but seems odd after big bids for McKennie.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Reed gets better every week on here by end of next month he will be Barca standard.

To say he is better than Davies is ridiculous but not surprising 

Well to me it was mystifying we didn't try harder to keep hold of him as he offers a muscularity and grittiness that we lack. Keeping the ball and breaking up play. We are as soft as butter in the middle, and especially once Romeu gets his yellow card.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear. Davies is like early era Prowse: neat, slow, feeble sideways passer. And with no set pieces to redeem him.

If we're signing him to rotate in here and there to give Prowse a rest, fair enough - he's better than Smallbone, hard as that is to imagine.

If we think he's a starter in the 6, we're going down. Has no defensive attributes whatsoever. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dusic said:

Hard to see us spending £15m on a wide player and then being able to sort CM as well. But he does sound like a Ralph player from the section on him here:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/youngsters-turned-sporting-cp-around-tactical-analysis-tactics

At this stage in the window things will move fast, but also teams will get used to flush out offers from others, so hard to know what to believe.

It does fit with Semmens suggesting that some of the other European leagues are under more financial pressure so there may be some deals at lower prices than first quoted. This could be an example, whilst seemingly some players in France now seem to be available at reduced fees, including some midfielders that fit our need.

Watching the clip I do agree with the analysis that his first touch seems very good, seems to get the ball under control super fast or with a turn without really slowing him down,

seems powerful too although maybe looks a bit of a diver always seems to be drawing fouls. 

End product looks looks a bit meh or at least the video isn’t showing much end product.

overall he looks ok but not as exciting as watching a boufal or djenepo YouTube clip ,still wish we would stick with boufal and try and get the best out of his obvious talents but seems he’s definitely off by the look of it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DT said:

Well to me it was mystifying we didn't try harder to keep hold of him as he offers a muscularity and grittiness that we lack. Keeping the ball and breaking up play. We are as soft as butter in the middle, and especially once Romeu gets his yellow card.

Wasn’t to me but then again I want better than him anyway why set standards that low?

Bypassed by every manager - no-one disputes we need central midfielder but Reed isn’t answer  with him and KWP we would look u14s

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})