Summer 2020 transfer business

50 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Shame we can't get rid of 2 keepers and bring in someone like Sergio Romero, now 3rd choice at utd and unlikely to get a game, and for what I've seen is a decent keeper 

Totally agree.

Having 3 average keepers all training together means that one is not getting extra expert training and they all start to show lack of sharpness.

21 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

£25-30m is the quoted figure for him from previous articles.

Absolute no chance. We won't sign anyone above the £10m mark IMO. I'll eat my words if anything comes of that.

I agree - can't see us spending that money

Do you think they've noticed we're pants and need reinforcements or are we skint/caught between buyer and seller standoff? Either way, not good, and if Ralph is 'sending messages' through the teams he picks it is the beginning of the end. Bit like Mourinho was at Chelsea in his final days.

2 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

From the Twitter-verse:

Record: Talks between Sporting and Southampton over Jovane Cabral are reportedly at an advanced stage. Sporting have been asking consistently for €20M and Southampton may be willing to pay that price.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/09/22/report-southampton-in-talks-to-sign-18-3m-west-ham-and-fulham-target-all-parties-hopeful/

winger not CM

Nice to have an actual link...sounds like he'd be a Boufal replacement, assuming hes off. Not sure where we're getting the money to fund that though...

Not a CM though.

Slightly concerning that his highlight reel consists of him giving the ball away...A LOT.

Edited by Saint Garrett

It's sobering to think that in another era Lawrie McMenemy would, this week, be unveiling Gareth Bale at the Potters Heron (ask your Dad) and giving the whole city a lift. Say what you like about the big Geordie but he knew how to manipulate the Board into thinking big, but I accept these are different times and Southampton fans have been suitably conditioned to feed off comparitive scraps and players that are now bought primarily for potential resale value.

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

It's sobering to think that in another era Lawrie McMenemy would, this week, be unveiling Gareth Bale at the Potters Heron (ask your Dad) and giving the whole city a lift. Say what you like about the big Geordie but he knew how to manipulate the Board into thinking big, but I accept these are different times and Southampton fans have been suitably conditioned to feed off comparitive scraps and players that are now bought primarily for potential resale value.

Sorry but that's a ridiculous comparison. If Kevin Keegan was on the 1980s equivalent of £600k a week there is no way we would have signed him.... 

56 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

From the Twitter-verse:

Record: Talks between Sporting and Southampton over Jovane Cabral are reportedly at an advanced stage. Sporting have been asking consistently for €20M and Southampton may be willing to pay that price.

Managed to get behind their paywall by watching a sponsor video.

Southampton is negotiating with Sporting to sign Jovane Cabral, Record knows. Negotiations are well underway and the parties involved believe that they can be successful. As far as it was possible to ascertain, at this time the English emblem is making an effort to reach the 20 million euros required by the green and white SAD, and there is still the possibility of placing a percentage of future sales or added value in the final agreement. .

These details are being worked on, although the Saints have not yet reached the money - for the transfer of Jovane - considered as minimal by the society chaired by Frederico Varandas. What is certain is that they remain very committed to hiring the 22-year-old striker, who took the leap into the limelight after the resumption of Liga NOS, following the stoppage decreed by the Government due to the state of emergency caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

From the Twitter-verse:

Fresh after getting battered at the weekend, reports appearing in various outlets about us being in for players, I have no doubt none of these are true and probably planted by the club by feigning interest to various clubs/agents for their players, who promptly release details to the press before we don't follow up and the player moves elsewhere before the club report how difficult it has been to buy players and we end up with someone like Danso on loan.

Me, cynical? never

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Fresh after getting battered at the weekend, reports appearing in various outlets about us being in for players, I have no doubt none of these are true and probably planted by the club by feigning interest to various clubs/agents for their players, who promptly release details to the press before we don't follow up and the player moves elsewhere before the club report how difficult it has been to buy players and we end up with someone like Danso on loan.

Me, cynical? never

+1

Hard to see us spending £15m on a wide player and then being able to sort CM as well. But he does sound like a Ralph player from the section on him here:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/youngsters-turned-sporting-cp-around-tactical-analysis-tactics

At this stage in the window things will move fast, but also teams will get used to flush out offers from others, so hard to know what to believe.

It does fit with Semmens suggesting that some of the other European leagues are under more financial pressure so there may be some deals at lower prices than first quoted. This could be an example, whilst seemingly some players in France now seem to be available at reduced fees, including some midfielders that fit our need.

Edited by Dusic

We've known for some time that we are waiting for shakedown in the food chain. Hoping some quality players become available and at a price we can afford. Spurs already putting some in the shop window. We're going to see reports of players we are interested in as media outlets have to write stuff.

Hold your nerve, guys, we are waiting for Transfer Deadline Days buys and loans.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12028475/transfer-window-deadline-day-key-dates-and-times-for-summer-2020

Tom Davies? If that is what we've been waiting for then why oh why did we sell Harrison Reed or loan out Lemina? He is is a poor man's Will Hughes and that is saying something. I don't want to be all doom and gloom after a few matches and I'll refrain from calling relegation based on a few matches but christ, Tom Davies? Doesn't fill me with confidence for the season coming. Let's just hope it's Alex Crook talking nonsense and it's actually a smoke screen for someone (anyone) else. 

Davies is very average, but still much better than the options of Romeu or Smallbone at the moment.

I wouldn't say he fits the type of profile we were after though - powerful/box to box style midfielder.

12 minutes ago, saint97 said:

Crook saying Tom Davies on loan.... surely not 

You would of thought it would of been decided by now given everton have brought in Allan, Rod, and Dacoure. Not sure what their squad depth is but I would of thought they would keep the local lad (cheaper) and try and loan out the high paid ones.

Edit - just checked their forum and once I got past the 8 pages talking about their dugouts it seems the only source for this is Crook on Talksport whose job it is to create content to discuss.

Edited by Convict Colony
6 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

From my Everton supporting mate:

"Oh mate no. Don’t do it. Actually please do!
Master of nothing. Average at everything" 

Like for like replacement of Hojberg then. 

An intersting one Tom Davies. When he arrived on the scene - I think under the lying dutchman - I thought he looked a decent prospect, full of energy, fairly combative and a reasonable element of skill. In the last season or so he seems to have stalled, and heres the thing, is that him, hit his level, or ist it down to the few changes of managers Everton have had? I think it may well be a decent signing as he will have a chance to get his career really going in a team where he can become first choice in the midfiled, whereas at Everton he will not. We can certainly do better but if we end up with him Romeu, JWP and the kids thats better than it is now!!!

To be honest I've only see Davies v us and I'm not sure that is enough data to go one but he looked more positive than Hoj in going forward so dug out a scout report.

He's also 5ft 11 so is taller than i remember and apparently his height is one of his strengths and it plays an important role in winning take-ons, interceptions and tackles.

To be honest reading just this and how Ralph likes us to play i think he could be another recycled gem a la Bertrand/Romeu vein.

.http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/02/16/scout-report-tom-davies-the-emerging-everton-and-england-starlet/

"So he can be considered as an attacking minded central midfielder with good offensive traits who can defend well. 

Edited by Convict Colony
4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest I've only see Davies v us and I'm not sure that is enough data to go one but he looked more positive than Hoj in going forward so dug out a scout report.

He's also 5ft 11 so is taller than i remember and apparently his height is one of his strengths and it plays an important role in winning take-ons, interceptions and tackles.

To be honest reading just this and how Ralph likes us to play i think he could be another recycled gem a la Bertrand/Romeu vein.

.http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/02/16/scout-report-tom-davies-the-emerging-everton-and-england-starlet/

"So he can be considered as an attacking minded central midfielder with good offensive traits who can defend well. 

Bit I'm uneasy with is, Loaning him in to improve a player for another side., then he goes back polished.

Maybe just maybe, we are looking at a loan because we are waiting for a takeover to happen and so not wanting to commit to someone as our personnel we are looking at could change once takenover?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GGalpin said:

Managed to get behind their paywall by watching a sponsor video.

Southampton is negotiating with Sporting to sign Jovane Cabral, Record knows. Negotiations are well underway and the parties involved believe that they can be successful. As far as it was possible to ascertain, at this time the English emblem is making an effort to reach the 20 million euros required by the green and white SAD, and there is still the possibility of placing a percentage of future sales or added value in the final agreement. .

These details are being worked on, although the Saints have not yet reached the money - for the transfer of Jovane - considered as minimal by the society chaired by Frederico Varandas. What is certain is that they remain very committed to hiring the 22-year-old striker, who took the leap into the limelight after the resumption of Liga NOS, following the stoppage decreed by the Government due to the state of emergency caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Where is the obligatory YouTube video?

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Bit I'm uneasy with is, Loaning him in to improve a player for another side., then he goes back polished.

Better than getting relegated and we aren’t competing with Everton any more.

Edited by benjii