Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

38 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Reed gets better every week on here by end of next month he will be Barca standard.

To say he is better than Davies is ridiculous but not surprising 

Well to me it was mystifying we didn't try harder to keep hold of him as he offers a muscularity and grittiness that we lack. Keeping the ball and breaking up play. We are as soft as butter in the middle, and especially once Romeu gets his yellow card.

• Like 1

Oh dear. Davies is like early era Prowse: neat, slow, feeble sideways passer. And with no set pieces to redeem him.

If we're signing him to rotate in here and there to give Prowse a rest, fair enough - he's better than Smallbone, hard as that is to imagine.

If we think he's a starter in the 6, we're going down. Has no defensive attributes whatsoever. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dusic said:

Hard to see us spending £15m on a wide player and then being able to sort CM as well. But he does sound like a Ralph player from the section on him here:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/youngsters-turned-sporting-cp-around-tactical-analysis-tactics

At this stage in the window things will move fast, but also teams will get used to flush out offers from others, so hard to know what to believe.

It does fit with Semmens suggesting that some of the other European leagues are under more financial pressure so there may be some deals at lower prices than first quoted. This could be an example, whilst seemingly some players in France now seem to be available at reduced fees, including some midfielders that fit our need.

Watching the clip I do agree with the analysis that his first touch seems very good, seems to get the ball under control super fast or with a turn without really slowing him down,

seems powerful too although maybe looks a bit of a diver always seems to be drawing fouls. 

End product looks looks a bit meh or at least the video isn’t showing much end product.

overall he looks ok but not as exciting as watching a boufal or djenepo YouTube clip ,still wish we would stick with boufal and try and get the best out of his obvious talents but seems he’s definitely off by the look of it 

15 minutes ago, DT said:

Well to me it was mystifying we didn't try harder to keep hold of him as he offers a muscularity and grittiness that we lack. Keeping the ball and breaking up play. We are as soft as butter in the middle, and especially once Romeu gets his yellow card.

Wasn’t to me but then again I want better than him anyway why set standards that low?

Bypassed by every manager - no-one disputes we need central midfielder but Reed isn’t answer  with him and KWP we would look u14s

• Like 1

Same opinion as most here.

If we’re bringing him in as competition for JWP/Stu as well as signing a proper DM, then it’s great.

If he’s the only midfield signing we make, it’s an absolute shambles. I’d have expected the first few games to convince the board that we need a proper signing, not to take the cheap option and leave ourselves in trouble in what should have been a comfortable year.

Must be a better CM option elsewhere in the world. A midfield of Davies and JWP will get torn apart more often than Romeu and JWP and we need all the defensive protection we can get. 

How we’ve gone from Schneiderlin, Wanyama + Steven Davis and Cork to this is shocking.

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Indeed.  You look at Everton's mids/fwds who aren't their first choice.

Delph, Sigurdsson, Gbamin, Davies, Gomes, Besic, Walcott, Iwobi, Sandro, Bolasie, Tosun, Bernard, Gordon, Kean....

Lucky they don't have Lemina, Hoedt and Carrillo on their books, otherwise they'd be completely hamstrung.

32 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Davies is just temporary, to fill A gap to get us through Until January. 
when our new owners will be installed and ready to invest in some real talent. 

Pity that we may be many points adrift at the bottom of the table by then. We’ve seen over many years how hard it is to attract fit and ready players who can come into lift the first XI of a badly struggling side. All you will get is expensive misfits and we have had plenty of those already e.g. Carrillo, Lemina

I’ve never known an organisation of SFC’s size and international profile be so parochial, resistant to feedback/change and growth in its culture. You can see it in the ongoing myths around the black box, dire recruitment dressed up as success 2 years after the old git shuffled off to the FA by not buying at all. Just a culture of denial that never looks to evolve.

Hopefully De Grosa was a smokescreen, someone decent buys it, clears out enmasse in staff and players, even if it means rebuilding in the Champ with fans let back in hopefully. Better than limping along every summer like this.

• Like 1

Is this crook's 1st ITK exclusive?  He's normally full of shit, seems talksport like that as he is getting more gigs there recently.  Time will tell.

I would take Tom Davies for sure, lost his way a bit but I think he's a solid player at this level.  Loan with an option to buy at around 15m would be decent.

8 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Lucky they don't have Lemina, Hoedt and Carrillo on their books, otherwise they'd be completely hamstrung.

Which highlights what an excuse it all is. Those contacts are low now on years, we must have lost plenty more on Osvaldo and others pre-Gao. It’s a con to keep claiming that, and glad to see at some people aren’t falling for it any longer 

8 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

+ Forster hoping Lazio will do as rumour says and take Hoedt but said they will pay 30k wages don’t know if credible on Saints pages.

Les  and Wilson really stuffed us

1 hour ago, doggface said:

Is this crook's 1st ITK exclusive?  He's normally full of shit, seems talksport like that as he is getting more gigs there recently.  Time will tell.

I would take Tom Davies for sure, lost his way a bit but I think he's a solid player at this level.  Loan with an option to buy at around 15m would be decent.

I’d thought he must be getting the information more from the Everton side, especially as not reported by any ‘Saints’ journos. 

Pretty sure Jim White, as much of a cockwomble as he is, has pretty decent links at Everton, so possibly where Crook has got it from? 

3 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

As predicted, we're going for a loan option, although I think I said I thought it would be someone from Liverpool or Spurs.

All the talk of the likes of McKennie and Ntcham was just hot air. We've clearly got no money and have resorted to the loan signing of a player who is probably no better than one who we've just offloaded to Fulham. 

As others have said. What's the obsession with shopping in poundland? This club is so fucking frustrating. 

Walnut Whips and Toffifee.

2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Chelsea have a few too. Have you seen their midfield? 

Surely they could lend us a couple. 

Havertz

Ziyech

Pulisic

Mount

Kovacic

Jorginho

Kante

Barkley

Hudson-Odoi

Loftus-Cheek

Moses

Gilmour

Drinkwater

Unsure about Davis. Youngest ever Everton captain & England under 21 so he’s clearly got something and maybe just needs realigning under Ralph if Ralph hasn’t lost it with his high defensive line and mental tactical lapses. 

I was torn about red bull in the past but I’m now starting to get so peed off with Saints perpetually disappointing and living in mediocrity, I’d happily welcome some money and success. Then we could sign someone like Ibrahima Konate. Fed up of a constantly weakened squad. The idea is to start the new season stronger, not weaker. Hit the ground running. Salisu will no doubt be a great player but signing an injured player isn’t ideal. Let’s hope we don’t sign an injured midfielder. 

5 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I don't know what you are talking about , I'd reckon about half the PL clubs are run sustainably and have to balance the books, even Liverpool. 

Leicester having been selling a major player pretty much every season to fund investments for the last 4 years.

We've just effed it up because our recent signings are crap so haven't had good re-sale value. 

Looks like it you that doesn’t know what you’re talking about

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

44 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Because I dislike people being sneered at because of how they choose to dress... 

I have to agree with you. Lord forbid we have a player come out as gay (tom Davies maybe?)... Some of our fans can't even tolerate someone that doesn't play for us dressing up for New York fashion week. 

Edited by Saint86

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I have to agree with you. Lord forbid we have a player come out as gay (tom Davies maybe?)... Some of our fans can't even tolerate someone that doesn't play for us dressing up for New York fashion week. 

Not sure which gays you’re referring to but none of the ones I know would be see dead dressed like that.

1 hour ago, Gordon Mockles said:Salisu will no doubt be a great player but signing an injured player isn’t ideal. Let’s hope we don’t sign an injured midfielder. 

Well, of course we will.

We shop in the yellow sticker aisle of the transfer market and buy the damaged goods because they’re cheaper.

• Like 1

Leeds signing their third centre back of window, all of whom will likely have started a game before Salisu does. Will take their spending over 80 million with two weeks of the window still to go. 

All the while we're looking at a loan for Tom Davies. Now its not all about how much teams spend, as the likes of Fulham have proven before, but its still a bit depressing

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

What does dressing like a weirdo have to do with being gay? That sounds a bit homophobic to be honest. 

With Dan Sheldon suggesting we will likely be looking at loans this could be interesting!

I have read several reports lately that Chelsea could be open to loaning out Ruben Loftus Cheek and Callum Hudson Odoi. Both would be exciting additions all be it only for one season.

Alex Oxlade Chamberlain looks to have slipped down the pecking order with the arrival of Thiago. Yes I red the report today saying that he wants to stay but with his recent injury problems, could he be open to a loan to a club playing a similar style to help get his career back on track?

These would be excellent options to tie us over until next season when a few contracts have expired and we are in a stronger position to secure a much more solid target.

1 minute ago, Mariosbarnet said:

With Dan Sheldon suggesting we will likely be looking at loans this could be interesting!

I have read several reports lately that Chelsea could be open to loaning out Ruben Loftus Cheek and Callum Hudson Odoi. Both would be exciting additions all be it only for one season.

Alex Oxlade Chamberlain looks to have slipped down the pecking order with the arrival of Thiago. Yes I red the report today saying that he wants to stay but with his recent injury problems, could he be open to a loan to a club playing a similar style to help get his career back on track?

These would be excellent options to tie us over until next season when a few contracts have expired and we are in a stronger position to secure a much more solid target.

Career back on track? He played over 40 times for one of the best sides in the world last year 😂

17 minutes ago, Mariosbarnet said:

Hudson-Odoi has been pursued by Bayern for about 18 months now, he will not be joining us. RLC more realistic but not the kind of player we need imo

7 hours ago, Mariosbarnet said:

I mean that he’s been out a long time with Injury & seems to have lost his place in the side. Stand by the fact he would be a great signing

ox consistently gets picked to play in some of the biggest games, especially champions league. in no way does his career need to get back on track or will he leave on loan....

echo the comments about davies. not the type of midfielder we need to play alongside jwp. we need energy and tackles ffs

23 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Supposedly the Barca president have now blocked it. 

Done deal , Suarez took pay cut from 30 to 15m euros , transfer fee 4m euros . Barca had blocked it but backed down when Suarez said he would he would go to the press .

Edited by East Kent Saint
Update

oh what a surprise https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/09/22/report-southampton-must-pay-record-fee-for-25m-target-saints-have-bid-rejected/

What did we do offer £10m or something ridiculous knowing full well it would be rejected, gut a message out to fans that we're looking for players though, even though we're not offering serious money.

22 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Nice to have an actual link...sounds like he'd be a Boufal replacement, assuming hes off. Not sure where we're getting the money to fund that though...

Not a CM though.

Slightly concerning that his highlight reel consists of him giving the ball away...A LOT.

Interesting that he wouldn't be our first Cape Verdean player! I bet there are a lot of nationalities more populous than that which we've not had two of...

Sounds interesting though. We need a player to come in and be miraculously very good. I sort of thought we were getting that with Djenepo...

The whole transfer window is going to come down to a game of poker in the next two weeks. With no fans in stadiums until at least March, reduced TV income from overseas, reduced income from UK broadcasters and no guarantee that any of these will return to pre Covid levels, clubs like Everton, with that list of midfielders not getting a game, will have to reduce their wage bills. They will have to loan players, or try and sell in a depressed market.

This doesn't make our position any better, but I think there are some clubs in a worse situation than us. Its ok to make losses if you have a rich owner who will subsidise the cost, but in the current environment, even multi billionaires might be getting slightly worried about their future income stream from football.

42 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

oh what a surprise https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/09/22/report-southampton-must-pay-record-fee-for-25m-target-saints-have-bid-rejected/

What did we do offer £10m or something ridiculous knowing full well it would be rejected, gut a message out to fans that we're looking for players though, even though we're not offering serious money.

We are the low balling experts.

Not sure I can take that article serious tho when it states that Hojbjerg was making things 'tick' for Spurs against us. He was non existent in the first half and played no part in Kane/Son running riot against us

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

How comes, according to our fans, every rumour has to be either leaked by the club for PR reasons or by an agent to build up interest in a player/force a move. The majority of rumours are papers filling space or websites looking for clickbait to gain revenue.

I'll be honest I'm not sure where the rumour started but HITC is definitely in the clickbait category for me.

54 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

It’s infuriating.  The club do it all the time.  It’s almost lying.

38 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

It’s infuriating.  The club do it all the time.  It’s almost lying.

"we tried to bring players in but the market is difficult,  We have a very good squad, it's not easy to bring players in at the level we need to improve the squad."

We've been here before......