Jump to content

Summer 2020 transfer business


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Shroppie said:

May be true. More likely false like 95% of rumours made up as clickbait or by agents after a payday.

We do need an AM if Boufal is off. More a #10 playmaker to challenge Armstrong rather than another Boufal.

But also a Hojbjerg replacement: box to box MF who can press, tackle, break up and recycle play and see a pass.

But priority for Ralph is always players who will work hard "against the ball" and give everything for the team.

This. Some people need to get a grip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I meant profile of player, winger/attacking either flank style.

Can't really read much into the youtube vids either way.

 

59 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Why are people using youtube for deciding on his ability. De Ridder was the next Frank Ribery...

Fully accept S-Clarke's view regarding the need to strengthen in that position, and yes Youtube is a very limited source and can't be relied on. 

Having said that I and many other were able to conclude that Carillo was a donkey from the clips of him, and he fully lived up to expectation.

47 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

We don't want someone who can be "spectacular" for a 5 second YouTube clip. We're done that with Lemina, Boufal etc. We need a solid #10 playmaker who can press, shoot, pass and run at defences. And work hard for the team, not just to get attention for themselves to get the big money move 

Perhaps should have phrased it differently, in that he doesn't look anything special in the clips shown. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Turkish said:

This can’t be true, we are the only club that has made bad signings. No other club has expensive signings on big wages that they can’t sell. Along with them agents fees and bonuses plus us being the only club that’s lost income due to coronavirus, it’s no wonder we need to sell anyone not nailed down again to give us even a passable replacement for our captain we sold. 

Think about what you just said again. Can that really be true? It is extremely unlikely isn't it? Don't you think it might be that we bought players at a price that would have fitted a certain level of performance and then expected them to start playing as top six level players?. On that basis any player we could afford would disappoint.

I think we are a club in conflict with ourselves, the reality of our situation doesn't match the ambition of people like Hasenhuttl, maybe Semmens or indeed the fans. Other clubs like Burnley & Palace seem far more realistic and content, understanding where they are in the pecking order and cutting their cloth to suit, buying players that can sustain their 'more modest' performance expectations that more or less guarantees their survival.

All those players that are easily and cheaply labelled on here as failures caught 'our' eye once but we have had so many changes of management, direction and strategy that no wonder they couldn't settle and prove their worth. I feel sorry for them in a way because hanging around here when not wanted is destroying their careers. They signed contracts in good faith but now find themselves locked in by them just as the club does. 

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Badger said:

Monaco have Paul Mitchell as their Sporting Director, presumably in charge of recruitment.

Who is our DoR again, or what happened to the appointment of one ?

We were meant to get a player recruiting specialist.

We definitely do need competition for Redmond who goes absent a fair bit which may purely come down to knowing he’s a guaranteed place in the 11. CM a clear priority which will will address and we could do with another defender. 

Sign those positions, plus get Salisu fit & starting and I would hope for significant improvement. Just stop playing the crazy high defensive line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Think about what you just said again. Can that really be true? It is extremely unlikely isn't it? Don't you think it might be that we bought players at a price that would have fitted a certain level of performance and then expected them to start playing as top six level players?. On that basis any player we could afford would disappoint.

I think we are a club in conflict with ourselves, the reality of our situation doesn't match the ambition of people like Hasenhuttl, maybe Semmens or indeed the fans. Other clubs like Burnley & Palace seem far more realistic and content, understanding where they are in the pecking order and cutting their cloth to suit, buying players that can sustain their 'more modest' performance expectations that more or less guarantees their survival.

All those players that are easily and cheaply labelled on here as failures caught 'our' eye once but we have had so many changes of management, direction and strategy that no wonder they couldn't settle and prove their worth. I feel sorry for them in a way because hanging around here when not wanted is destroying their careers. They signed contracts in good faith but now find themselves locked in by them just as the club does. 

If the players were really that bothered then they'd take pay cuts to move. The problem with shifting a lot of them is not the transfer fees it's the fact that we are paying them more than any other club who would take them can. If the likes of Hoedt, Lemina and so on were that bothered about their careers then they could easily get a move away by accepting they'd have to struggle through on £30k a week rather than £60k. So no i dont feel sorry for them as their earning far more than they are worth. 

You're probably right in that the vision they were promised hasn't worked out for them due to a succession of bad management appointments and tons of wasted money. The thing was Les Reed and co thought they'd found the magic touch with their room full of geeks measuring players running gait and so on, we could sign them for £10m- £15m each, let them show their brilliance and prove Reed a hero and sell them on for £70m. Sadly this genius plan was flawed in that a few of the players are utter bellends and a few of them just weren't very good, that's the problem when you base so much on computer data. 

I dont think we are in conflict with ourselves, we know what we are, a club that can finish midtable, top 6-8 with a fair wind, that develops young talent and that has to unearth gems and sell them on for a profit, nothing wrong with that at all, it's just that up until a couple of years ago the people executing our plan did a terrible job, yet also at the time some people insisted we were being really well run and that everything was great behind the scenes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, saint97 said:

Some rumours of West Ham looking into getting Vestergaard on loan.... can't see it happening and think he'll start this weekend. 

Would leave us pretty 'short' of options, unles RH has another CB lined up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to think that rather than being completely skint we're being sensible. Look at the money we've wasted. It's over £120m in recent seasons just in transfer fees on rubbish players. A club our size can't do that. 

So taking longer to assess players, loans before buying, it is the way forward even if annoying. Right now too many fans would get excited if we splashed £20m on some random player they hadn't heard of. It's always the answer. But in reality it's brought us Hoedt, Vestergaard, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Boufal, Clasie, Carrillo, Osvaldo, Gabbiadini. It's painful just writing all those names and I've probably forgotten a few. 

Even big spending Wolves have only spent what they've received in transfer fees for Costa, Jota, Doherty. Football could stop any moment, further suspensions are really likely so it's not easy to plan. Unfortunately the next year or two for many clubs will involve a lot more caution unless you have an insanely rich owner prepared to throw money at it, which 99% of clubs don't. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice but I know unrealistic if Saints signed or got in on loan;

Centre half who could lead/organise defence as Saints have been lacking this since 2017.

Central midfielder as Romeo will get suspended and Ward-Prowse can't play every game.

Wide/creative midfielder to replace the outgoing Boufal as Saints lack creativity in this area.

A decent keeper.

That's all

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

I'd like to think that rather than being completely skint we're being sensible. Look at the money we've wasted. It's over £120m in recent seasons just in transfer fees on rubbish players. A club our size can't do that. 

So taking longer to assess players, loans before buying, it is the way forward even if annoying. Right now too many fans would get excited if we splashed £20m on some random player they hadn't heard of. It's always the answer. But in reality it's brought us Hoedt, Vestergaard, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Boufal, Clasie, Carrillo, Osvaldo, Gabbiadini. It's painful just writing all those names and I've probably forgotten a few. 

Even big spending Wolves have only spent what they've received in transfer fees for Costa, Jota, Doherty. Football could stop any moment, further suspensions are really likely so it's not easy to plan. Unfortunately the next year or two for many clubs will involve a lot more caution unless you have an insanely rich owner prepared to throw money at it, which 99% of clubs don't. 

Wouldn't say it was all that unfortunate, personally.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon Davies on loan for Everton 

Olivier Ntcham as the hoiberg replacement 

And a cheap winger for cover for Redmond and if Boufal leaves.

That's my prediction.... 

Should be looking at Chelsea I know wages would be a issue but 

Barkley, Hudson, Loftus 

One of them could give us an additional dynamic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

In my widest dreams, I'm hoping it's Antonio Rudiger. Would cover at CB and at RB if KWP out.

Rudiger's been a shambles since a long term injury. Tomori would be a better loan. Right sided, pace to burn, would compliment Salisu and a high line perfectly.

I think he was name-checked on here at the start of last season as someone the club were looking at (in loan, before Danso happened).

He's supposedly available...

Edited by qwertyell
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Badger said:

Would leave us pretty 'short' of options, unles RH has another CB lined up.

Would it? It’d be the same as where we’re at now. 3 senior (calling them senior at a push) CB’s. 
 

yes, 2 are disgustingly average and 1 is completely unproven but that’s the Southampton way. 
 

we’ll bring in a CM without a doubt and most likely a winger, I can’t see anything more than that unfortunately. 
 

what is the limit for amount of players on loan in a match day squad? If money is that tight and we’re looking at a 1 x loan 1 x buy, I’d rather us loan a CM as I think you’ll get a better player which usually we couldn’t afford to buy and buy, with potential, on the wing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds so much like we are bargain hunting, Nothing wrong with that but I would rather a player that comes as a starter player rather than another average squad player.

I personally would sell Gunn and Forster and get Butland in as no 1.

Go big on a decent CB and move Jack Stephen’s as a holding midfielder unless you take a loan holding midfielder in.

Don’t need anymore striker options as Che Adams and Djenipo will get better and better.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’d take him on loan but not over a decent CM.

Yeah, I suppose we have to pick & choose our Prem loan. 

Still wouldn’t surprise me to see Ntcham back on the radar.  SPL would be an archetypal league that will struggle. 

Edited by SuperSAINT
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

It sounds so much like we are bargain hunting, Nothing wrong with that but I would rather a player that comes as a starter player rather than another average squad player.

I personally would sell Gunn and Forster and get Butland in as no 1.

Go big on a decent CB and move Jack Stephen’s as a holding midfielder unless you take a loan holding midfielder in.

Don’t need anymore striker options as Che Adams and Djenipo will get better and better.

 

FFS dont let MLG see this, there will be typos all over his reply. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yeah, I suppose we have to pick & choose our Prem loan. 

Still wouldn’t surprise me to see Ntcham back on the radar.  SPL would be an archetypal league that will struggle. 

I’ve been impressed with RS when I’ve seen him. As to Ntcham he would be my bet. It’s obvious to me from RH’s comments that McKennie was our top target only to be guzumped by some no name team in Italy 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

It sounds so much like we are bargain hunting, Nothing wrong with that but I would rather a player that comes as a starter player rather than another average squad player.

I personally would sell Gunn and Forster and get Butland in as no 1.

Go big on a decent CB and move Jack Stephen’s as a holding midfielder unless you take a loan holding midfielder in.

Don’t need anymore striker options as Che Adams and Djenipo will get better and better.

 

Why would we get Stoke's second choice in as our first choice? He's completely lost it over the last couple of years. Macca better than all 3. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Turkish clearly is perfect and has never made a typo in his life. It's not like 1 and 2 are next to each other on a phone keyboard! Oh wait... they are! 🙄

What about the + and the use of years instead of year?
3 typos in one number and one word, amazing scenes.  Or you could stop lying and admit you f_cked up.

 

jack nicholson laughing GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

 

I personally would sell Gunn and Forster and get Butland in as no 1.

 

The guy who can't get in a rubbish Championship side? The guy who is so useless with the ball at his feet he managed to fracture his ankle kicking it? (And has never fully recovered from the injury). That guy?

Butland's a write off. Even moreso than Forster.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He seems to play into rumours a lot more than Carl did, although I'd assume he gets fed very similar information so wouldn't be surprised to see this as a go.

Djenepo/Redmond on the left with Armstrong/RLC on the right, certainly enhances our options.

My only thought is that I can't imagine Chelsea allowing this move without significant first team assurances, does he get that here if Redmond and Armstrong are both fit?

Edited by Saint Matty 76
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

He seems to play into rumours a lot more than Carl did, although I'd assume he gets fed very similar information so wouldn't be surprised to see this as a go.

Djenepo/Redmond on the left with Armstrong/RLC on the right, certainly enhances our options.

My only thought is that I can't imagine Chelsea allowing this move without significant first team assurances, does he get that here if Redmond and Armstrong are both fit?

Yes, he’s better than both of them when on form. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Sheldon annoys me.

it is just click bait articles, he is very much guessing like we are doing.

I really enjoyed Carl's coverage last year, loads of insight, humour and engagement - one of the main reasons I signed up to the athletic.  Been a bit of a drop off and I'll likely not renew.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I really enjoyed Carl's coverage last year, loads of insight, humour and engagement - one of the main reasons I signed up to the athletic.  Been a bit of a drop off and I'll likely not renew.

Insight like Weston McKennie the guy that signed for Juventus isn’t good enough for us?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we sign an attacking midfielder /winger to play on the right would that free up Armstrong to play in Central Midfield - which by all accounts is his preferred position.

Even if we do what I don't understand is why we  don't use Josh Sims as cover for the right attacking midfielder role

Redmond and Djenepo provide cover for the left attacking midfielder role.

Olivier Ntcham is supposed to be more of an attacking midfielder so maybe his is being looked at as competition for that right attacking midfielder position and cover for CM as well. Ruben Loftus-Cheek would fit this role as well. 

I still feel we need a box-to-box / defensive midfielder that can win the call and progress play up the pitch - Ibrahim Sangare at relegated Toulouse might be worth a look at for this role.  Some of the big clubs were looking at him and I think Toulouse need to sell someone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})