Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

2 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I really enjoyed Carl's coverage last year, loads of insight, humour and engagement - one of the main reasons I signed up to the athletic.  Been a bit of a drop off and I'll likely not renew.

Problem from my point of view is that Dan Sheldon appears to be thinking he should be writing for an audience that doesn’t follow saints particularly closely. Most of his articles are full of stuff already in the public domain or discussed on here/social media. It’s either that or he’s paid by word and padding the article like a desperate undergraduate writing a dissertation. To be fair it must be hard finding information not already out there but he needs to do more tactical analysis and be more opinionated (and be prepared to back it up)

2 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I really enjoyed Carl's coverage last year, loads of insight, humour and engagement - one of the main reasons I signed up to the athletic.  Been a bit of a drop off and I'll likely not renew.

Agree, Carl was fantastic.. hence why he now covers United. Will still renew though on the new subscription offer

3 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

He seems to play into rumours a lot more than Carl did, although I'd assume he gets fed very similar information so wouldn't be surprised to see this as a go.

Djenepo/Redmond on the left with Armstrong/RLC on the right, certainly enhances our options.

My only thought is that I can't imagine Chelsea allowing this move without significant first team assurances, does he get that here if Redmond and Armstrong are both fit?

RLC wouldn't be playing out wide, he'd replace Romeu in CM I would expect.

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This is an odd paragraph in that article, which highlights a lack of knowledge on the journalist's part of where our players play...

"In the high-scoring reverse to Spurs they played with James Ward-Prowse in central midfield, with the England midfielder moving in from his usual place on the right flank. Sangaré would provide protection to Hasenhuttl’s defence as an out-and-out defensive midfielder who would slot in alongside Oriol Romeu."

Edited by Matthew Le God

My extensive and expert youtube analysis has the CM pretenders in this order of preference:

1 -Sangare

2 - Ntcham

3 - Everton kid (don't think he'll add much despite being prem-ready). 

Can't see Loftus-Cheek coming here so haven't included him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Manuel said:

My extensive and expert youtube analysis has the CM pretenders in this order of preference:

1 -Sangare

2 - Ntcham

It's a really interesting set of links because they are all a different type of centre-mid.

This link seems the most believable. Going by information from here and in the media Weston McKennie was our top midfield target to replace Hojbjerg. Ntcham, Davies and Loftus-Cheek are completely different midfielders to McKennie and are more in the Armstrong mould, Davies more of a JWP, but without the set-pieces. I've never seen this Sangare play, or heard of him before now, but he seems like more of the midfield battler type, that McKennie and Hojbjerg are.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Manuel said:

1 -Sangare

2 - Ntcham

this must be one of the least impressive youtube videos I have ever watched when looking at players I don't know mentioned on here. If this is all I had to go on, then it'd be a massive no. 

5 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

This link seems the most believable. Going by information from here and in the media Weston McKennie was our top midfield target to replace Hojbjerg. Ntcham, Davies and Loftus-Cheek are completely different midfielders to McKennie and are more in the Armstrong mould, Davies more of a JWP, but without the set-pieces. I've never seen this Sangare play, or heard of him before now, but he seems like more of the midfield battler type, that McKennie and Hojbjerg are.

He seems similar to William Carvalho in stature and style of play - he looks a bit slow and ungainly from YT clips, but hard to tell if that's just a consequence of how big he is.

Just now, Chez said:

this must be one of the least impressive youtube videos I have ever watched when looking at players I don't know mentioned on here. If this is all I had to go on, then it'd be a massive no. 

Good read here:-

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/competitions/ligue-1/ibrahim-sangare-at-toulouse-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

It's a really interesting set of links because they are all a different type of centre-mid.

Totally.  Plus always a risk judging performance in Scottish or second tier leagues but if you can play, you can play.  

cheers. I like the sentence:  ...he was not only the best player for Toulouse, but he was also one of the best players in Ligue 1 last season.

Watched this video too. He nicks the ball off opponents well, which is obviously needed, but with ball at feet he looks very limited. Again, a youtube video tells you little, but my opinion matter nothing as to whether he comes or not.

4 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Chez, I thought he looked more useful in this one....

Hmmm. I'm not impressed to be honest. He is clearly an athlete, but not sure about him on the ball. Again, these three short videos are not enough to make any reasonable decision on.

• Like 1

spacer.png

5RwzbG2.png

pwJaBFj.png

From looking at the stats, reading up about the type of player he is and looking at how highly-rated he is in France, it's clear that Sangare would be the best option to fill the void left by Hojbjerg. They share the same inconsistencies in passing accuracy and lapses in concentration giving the ball away, but Sangare is a player who will look to break lines and provide a killer pass or a progressive move forwards a lot more than the lumbering Romeu that we are currently stuck with - seems to have a lot more about him in the tackle as well (less of a yellow card magnet). It's a yes from me, and it's a relatively risk free move for the mooted £7m - with low wages to boot.

I've also posted Tom Davies' numbers for last season for the #lolz, would have been a bit of a coup after his breakthrough as a nipper but seems to have had all individuality and promise completely whitewashed by the revolving manager circus at Goodison. 

• Like 2

Is it just me or is this thread the most frustrating ever at the moment?! Some days it is full of petulant arguments and then every now and then there is finally another rumour. Today feels like one of the better days, but who knows what will come of it all. Nevertheless, overall there are plenty of rumours, so I am going to try to put all the ones I can identify in one post...

Potential Outs

• Hoedt - loan-to-buy deal reportedly agreed with Lazio, based on achievement of certain criteria. Both fee (£4.6m vs £7.8m) and wages (£30,000 vs £60,000) have been issues.
  • Boufal – In talks to move to Olympiacos with Angers also interested.
  • Carrillo - Mauricio Pellegrini was reportedly interested in taking him on loan at Velez Sarsfield in Argentina but evidently Carrillo did not want to go home and there has been little or no other news.
  • Gunn – Leeds are rumoured to be interested in signing him on loan, though rumours remain that he may go to Stoke – potentially on a swap deal for Jack Butland.
  • Vestergaard -previously linked with Leicester; recently linked with West Ham – but only as a loan deal which would not interest Saints.

Potential Ins – Central Midfield

Ibrahim Sangare (Toulouse)

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea) – Loan

Olivier Ntcham (Celtic)

Tom Davies (Everton) – Loan

Florentino Luis (Benfica) – rumoured to be set to move to Monaco

Hamza Choudhury (Leicester)

Dejan Ljubicic (Rapid Vienna) –  reported to be staying in Austria

Orel Mangala (Stuttgart) – linked in August but no recent reports

Idrissa Doumbia (Sporting Lisbon) – work permit issues have made signing him look not feasible

Kristoffer Ajer (Celtic) - stronger links with AC Milan than Saints (mainly a CB but also plays CM)

Potential Ins – Wing/attacking midfield

Ryan Sessegnon (Spurs) – LB/LW – Loan

Jovan Cabral (Sporting Lisbon) – RW

Potential Ins – Other

Folarin Balogun (Arsenal) – striker – more likely to go to Sheff Utd

Jack Butland (Stoke) – GK – swap deal with Angus Gunn

I am sure there are recent other links I have missed but that is an interesting collection of rumours!

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
Removing excess spacing
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Is it just me or is this thread the most frustrating ever at the moment?! Some days it is full of petulant arguments and then every now and then there is finally another rumour. Today feels like one of the better days, but who knows what will come of it all. Nevertheless, overall there are plenty of rumours, so I am going to try to put all the ones I can identify in one post...

Potential Outs

• Hoedt - loan-to-buy deal reportedly agreed with Lazio, based on achievement of certain criteria. Both fee (£4.6m vs £7.8m) and wages (£30,000 vs £60,000) have been issues.
  • Boufal – In talks to move to Olympiacos with Angers also interested.
  • Carrillo - Mauricio Pellegrini was reportedly interested in taking him on loan at Velez Sarsfield in Argentina but evidently Carrillo did not want to go home and there has been little or no other news.
  • Gunn – Leeds are rumoured to be interested in signing him on loan, though rumours remain that he may go to Stoke – potentially on a swap deal for Jack Butland.
  • Vestergaard -previously linked with Leicester; recently linked with West Ham – but only as a loan deal which would not interest Saints.

Potential Ins – Central Midfield

Ibrahim Sangare (Toulouse)

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea) – Loan

Olivier Ntcham (Celtic)

Tom Davies (Everton) – Loan

Florentino Luis (Benfica) – rumoured to be set to move to Monaco

Hamza Choudhury (Leicester)

Dejan Ljubicic (Rapid Vienna) –  reported to be staying in Austria

Orel Mangala (Stuttgart) – linked in August but no recent reports

Idrissa Doumbia (Sporting Lisbon) – work permit issues have made signing him look not feasible

Kristoffer Ajer (Celtic) - stronger links with AC Milan than Saints (mainly a CB but also plays CM)

Potential Ins – Wing/attacking midfield

Ryan Sessegnon (Spurs) – LB/LW – Loan

Jovan Cabral (Sporting Lisbon) – RW

Potential Ins – Other

Folarin Balogun (Arsenal) – striker – more likely to go to Sheff Utd

Jack Butland (Stoke) – GK – swap deal with Angus Gunn

I am sure there are recent other links I have missed but that is an interesting collection of rumours!

nice work. Very handy for someone that nips in and out of this thread - I totally missed some of those links.

• Like 1

I wondered if Tiémoué Bakayoko might be worth considering? Massive failure at Chelsea, but he looked a top player at Monaco. Loans to Milan and Monaco didn't lead to transfers, but the fees mentioned were hefty, so maybe no surprise they didn't sign him permanently. He might consider a little old club like us as beneath him, he might not. He's on massive wages at Chelsea (about £110k a week), but Chelsea paid £3.5m of that when we went to Milan, which would mean about £45k a week. For me, Chelsea is a club that has a lot of talented players that need new homes to allow them to get their careers back on track. 

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wondered if Tiémoué Bakayoko might be worth considering? Massive failure at Chelsea, but he looked a top player at Monaco. Loans to Milan and Monaco didn't lead to transfers, but the fees mentioned were hefty, so maybe no surprise they didn't sign him permanently. He might consider a little old club like us as beneath him, he might not. He's on massive wages at Chelsea (about £110k a week), but Chelsea paid £3.5m of that when we went to Milan, which would mean about £45k a week. For me, Chelsea is a club that has a lot of talented players that need new homes to allow them to get their careers back on track. 

By the sounds of it, he actually did pretty well at Milan after a slow start - less sure on Monaco.  If we could actually get him it would be an incredible signing IMO.

Sangare sounds good and I know is highly rated. That leaves two questions:

1. Why has nobody already snapped him up at seemingly a very reasonable fee?

2. Surely there would be competition for him?

Personally I think we need someone with proven defensive ability - which he has - and in this position a permanent signing would be better than a loan, as we will just have the same problem next summer otherwise.

In the #10 position a loan is more paletable as the player would probably just be cover rather than a key player.

If we got Sangare and then someone like Sessegnon on loan, I think that would be excellent.

29 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Sangare sounds good and I know is highly rated. That leaves two questions:

1. Why has nobody already snapped him up at seemingly a very reasonable fee?

2. Surely there would be competition for him?

Personally I think we need someone with proven defensive ability - which he has - and in this position a permanent signing would be better than a loan, as we will just have the same problem next summer otherwise.

In the #10 position a loan is more paletable as the player would probably just be cover rather than a key player.

If we got Sangare and then someone like Sessegnon on loan, I think that would be excellent.

I agree with all your points - it almost feels too good to be true. I felt the same about Salisu too, but hopefully he will soon destroy any remaining doubts. 

I really support your suggestion about getting someone in permanently - there are no hints that Romeu will sign a new contract and can walk away next summer, so if we get someone now on a 12 month loan it could leave us with just JWP and Smallbone next season. Romeu has has faults, but I think it's good to have some consistency & depth in such an important part of the team. I'm less dismissive of Smallbone as some on here, but I struggle with what position he could play in a 4-2-2-2. He isn't strong enough for a defensive midfielder and has been anonymous out wide. He would suit a 4-2-3-1 better, but that isn't likely with Ralph.   

In summary - get a quality midfielder on a permanent otherwise we could end up having  a complete rebuild of defensive midfield next summer.

18 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Bit odd that article. They want Koopmeiners because Pablo Hernandez got injured. Firstly Hernandez is an AM, Koopmeiners is a DM (has also played at CB). Secondly, the DM role at Leeds is filled by their poster boy Kalvin Phillips

Worrying as he’s the journo who linked us with Sangare.

31 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Bit odd that article. They want Koopmeiners because Pablo Hernandez got injured. Firstly Hernandez is an AM, Koopmeiners is a DM (has also played at CB). Secondly, the DM role at Leeds is filled by their poster boy Kalvin Phillips

This journo doesn't seem to do his research. In his article linking us with Sangare last night, he made similar mistakes and said JWP plays further forward in the Armstrong role instead of at CM.

13 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Worrying as he’s the journo who linked us with Sangare.

Checked the AZ forum and leeds link isn't even discussed.

I've come to the conclusion that most of these journo's do exactly what we do, have a scout around europe to see whose possible and could fit into what teams.

1 hour ago, Wimborne_saint said:

This journo doesn't seem to do his research. In his article linking us with Sangare last night, he made similar mistakes and said JWP plays further forward in the Armstrong role instead of at CM.

Looks to me like he's just changed the names of the clubs and the players.