Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

Diallo and a 

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

When does the transfer window close? It's not looking good to bring in the "minimum 2 maybe 3" players that Ralph wanted...

I do have some real concerns for us this season if we go into the season like this.

Deadline for transfers between Premier League clubs and International transfers closes on Monday at 11pm

After that Premier League clubs can sign players from EFL clubs only until October 16th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

That's a strange one, more so because we've missed out.

This is someone Ralph pursued massively when he was at RB, we were also linked with him heavily when Ralph first arrived if I recall correctly.

It's clearly a position we need to sort, he'd add depth to both wide area's, and he's only a loan. It seems a bit odd that we've not even gone in for this one? (or tried?)

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is someone Ralph pursued massively when he was at RB, we were also linked with him heavily when Ralph first arrived if I recall correctly.

It's clearly a position we need to sort, he'd add depth to both wide area's, and he's only a loan. It seems a bit odd that we've not even gone in for this one? (or tried?)

Seems weird we haven't bothered, seems even weirder Fulham have, if they don't sign defenders they'll be down by Christmas.

Edited by Appy

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Interesting I think this is the dude that got Seager into Telstar and also I think Slattery into De Graaf.

I would be surprised if the scouts know who we are going to buy yet as I thought they just were creating profiles and giving updates etc and the powers that be decide.

If we arent interested in Veermans then what is the point of the scout being there last week ?

Very strange all of this and his feedback on Sangarre doesnt tie in with Blackmore saying we didnt get a work permit ?

A link - https://www.nhnieuws.nl/nieuws/273829/southampton-niet-concreet-voor-interessante-speler-joey-veerman

From this article: (dunno maybe trying to not sound too interested before we bid ?)

"He is not yet good enough defensively. The pace is still a bit too low and the switch could be better. He is Premier League-worthy on the ball, but without the ball he still has to take a few steps."

Article also claims the Saints scout said Sangare chose PSV over us "to our great surprise" no mention of a work permit issues. Sounds like that's spin to cover ourselves. 

Just now, Turkish said:

Article also claims the Saints scout said Sangare chose PSV over us "to our great surprise" no mention of a work permit issues. Sounds like that's spin to cover ourselves. 

We've had another predicable transfer window nightmare.

3 working days left!

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

When does the transfer window close? It's not looking good to bring in the "minimum 2 maybe 3" players that Ralph wanted...

I do have some real concerns for us this season if we go into the season like this.

We haven't done what Ralph intimated we would do in any of the windows he's been here. He's getting led a merry dance by the Board. Again.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure its that weird when you realise he's barely played for Leipzig, he made 1 start for them last year so I'd presume he's not progressed as many would hope and therefore we'd value him less. 

Also how is it a position we need? He basically plays in the same role as Redmond and Djenepo, Armstrongs role is a completely different role. 

1 minute ago, Greenridge said:

We haven't done what Ralph intimated we would do in any of the windows he's been here. He's getting led a merry dance by the Board. Again.

It will cost us a lot more in relegation/replacing a good manager than paying up now for someone decent. It must be current owners refusing to spend. Just got to hope we're not spending all our time fighting an Ings sale.

18 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Not sure its that weird when you realise he's barely played for Leipzig, he made 1 start for them last year so I'd presume he's not progressed as many would hope and therefore we'd value him less. 

Also how is it a position we need? He basically plays in the same role as Redmond and Djenepo, Armstrongs role is a completely different role. 

We need an additional wide player, not an Armstrong type.

We are relying on Tella to provide that pace/directness, but we do need someone else to provide that as well. If one of Moussa or Redmond is injured, our only bench alternative is Tella.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We are relying on Tella to provide that pace/directness, but we do need someone else to provide that as well. If one of Moussa or Redmond is injured, our only bench alternative is Tella.

We're in greater need of an Armstrong replacement. Redmond and Djenepo compete for the same place. When we lost Armstrong, his replacement was Smallbone.

They got two signings done early on to boost ST sales and have done bugger all since. I feel like we've been sold down the river. We've had to watch all these exciting players getting linked to us join our rivals one at a time while all we hear is embarassing stories about our own incompetence. Now we're getting linked to **** like Veerman and Ntcham. These players will not improve our team and will leave us in a vicious circle constantly trying to get rid of dead wood.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I agree. Its obviously spin - Blackmore doing his best dog on a leash impression and trying cover our blushes. The mere fact that he is out there trying to make up excuses shows we've got something to be embarrassed about.

Edited by Saint86

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

They got two signings done early on to boost ST sales and have done bugger all since. I feel like we've been sold down the river. We've had to watch all these exciting players getting linked to us join our rivals one at a time while all we hear is embarassing stories about our own incompetence. Now we're getting linked to **** like Veerman and Ntcham. These players will not improve our team and will leave us in a vicious circle constantly trying to get rid of dead wood.

Be very careful Disco!! 😉 "The BBC has reportedly banned its sports presenters and pundits from using a number of 'racist' words and phrases in coverage of the new season.

'Cakewalk', 'nitty gritty', 'sold down the river' and 'uppity' are on the list of things on-air personnel must avoid saying, alongside the terms 'blackballed', 'blacklisted', 'black mark' and 'whiter than white'. 

The BBC informed staff of the changes during a webinar centred on 'avoiding racial bias'.

Presenters and pundits were also warned not to 'fall into the trap' of racially stereotyping black players by describing them as having 'pace' and/or 'power'.

Up to 450 members of staff are believed to have attended the training webinar and the BBC invited participation from rival broadcasters Sky Sports, ITV, BT Sport, Premier League Productions and talkSPORT."

• Haha 1

The work permit thing could well be true, this is controlled by the home office, who managed to come up with a "nurses  and carers"  entry scheme which excluded the afore mentioned  carers because of low pay. He may well have lost entry points because Toulouse  got relegated. 

I suppose we better stop singing "Oh when the Saints" as well due to cultural appropriation... The sooner society decides to think for themselves and stop listening to the BBC's whitewashed version of reality, the better. Anyway, back on topic...

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Tella's not even quick, from all I've seen. Looks a long way short of being even a lower league player at present.

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

What’s the point in him putting this out there and potentially alerting other clubs ?

Probably the same reason why they are alluded to Quincy Promes. No real intention of signing him at all but keeps the fans quiet. If his attributes are weaker physically and defensively, with our physically demanding style, surely that’s asking for problems in the PL. As we experienced with Clasie. 

54 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

How come Veerman and Ntcham are already **** If someone else signs them you will complain we have 'missed out'. I wonder anyone signs for us, they are rubbished before we've seen them 

4 minutes ago, Dellman said:

How come Veerman and Ntcham are already **** If someone else signs them you will complain we have 'missed out'. I wonder anyone signs for us, they are rubbished before we've seen them 

I'm suggesting loans are the best option now. I think we've gone too far down our priority list; I doubt we'll have competition for these players and for good reason.

Edited by Disco Stu

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Given that generally speaking we do alright against the top teams (who will play on the front foot and we counter) and struggle against those who sit deep and we can’t break down, I’d suggest we need a creative midfielder who can pick a pass. 

36 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

No idea if this is true but I thought I'd up the meltdown a little if I could:

image.png.ee64575343033fe6687ab8d4bacdc131.png

Further from Sky - Celtic made an approach for Tottenham left-back Ryan Sessegnon, but Sky Sports News understands the finances of a potential deal have proved problematic.

15 minutes ago, SKD said:

Of the options I’ve seen, if we get RLC and that Diallo it would represent a fairly decent window. 

I quite like the thought of RLC and Armstrong playing in the 10 with Ings and adams playing ahead of them. 

If we got them both, that would certainly give the squad some depth and options. But if it only had to be one, Diallo is the crucial deal.

I'm a big fan of RLC, but he can't play as a six. Doubful he can play as an 8 in a midfield two. Silky skills, but he's got no engine and a pretty unconvincing workrate out of possession. As an alternative to Armstrong, he could work.

Diallo - or a player of his ilk - fills a role where we're desperately short.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, waylander said:

Further from Sky - Celtic made an approach for Tottenham left-back Ryan Sessegnon, but Sky Sports News understands the finances of a potential deal have proved problematic.

I think I read somewhere that Spurs want a loan fee and all of his wages covered.

4 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Genuine question - what type of central midfielder are we after ?

I think it is too simplistic to say CM or DM, they need to have certain qualities for Ralphs system, how do they compare to JWP, do we need more creative or just a destroyer to fit in our system of collective pressing and disruption ?

So I have had a look at the last 3 linked and compared them with JWP - personally I like Veermans decisiveness as i think that is missing from a lot of our players 

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.30.34.png

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.31.13.png

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.31.55.png

interesting that my evaluations of Sangarre and Diallo based on a three minute youtube highlights videos match their stats. Maybe not terribly difficult, but does show it is possible to learn something from those videos if you are hypercritical. Veerman stats look decent. I watched two videos of him. The first video I totally discounted him, because the opponents looked woeful. Zero pressure on the ball etc. allowing him years to make decisions/pick a pass. Impossible to say if he was good enough or not. The second showed games that were much faster and he looked strong offensively and physically - both born out in those stats. Interesting that we are linked to such very different types.Maybe we are after two?

Edited by Chez