Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

A link - https://www.nhnieuws.nl/nieuws/273829/southampton-niet-concreet-voor-interessante-speler-joey-veerman

From this article: (dunno maybe trying to not sound too interested before we bid ?)

"He is not yet good enough defensively. The pace is still a bit too low and the switch could be better. He is Premier League-worthy on the ball, but without the ball he still has to take a few steps."

he doesn't look like the dominating (do everything) central midfielder we are after to me. Good, but not good enough perhaps?

2 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I wonder if Loftus Cheek is having a medical today.

Are you ITK?

To be fair, he would be a good start. A very mobile midfielder, goal threat, good physique etc. Think he'd be perfect alongside JWP. The only concerns I'd have over him is how long-term is it? Are we simply borrowing him for a season and then  he'll go back to Chelsea or get sold for a large sum after a good year with us?

Edited by S-Clarke

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

They got two signings done early on to boost ST sales and have done bugger all since. I feel like we've been sold down the river. We've had to watch all these exciting players getting linked to us join our rivals one at a time while all we hear is embarassing stories about our own incompetence. Now we're getting linked to **** like Veerman and Ntcham. These players will not improve our team and will leave us in a vicious circle constantly trying to get rid of dead wood.

We didn't sign players early to boost season ticket sales. We signed players to fill voids and have not filled the last void (CM) because we were gazzumped by Juve and then who nows after that. Can't blame club for who we are linked to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

Be very careful Disco!! 😉 "The BBC has reportedly banned its sports presenters and pundits from using a number of 'racist' words and phrases in coverage of the new season.

'Cakewalk', 'nitty gritty', 'sold down the river' and 'uppity' are on the list of things on-air personnel must avoid saying, alongside the terms 'blackballed', 'blacklisted', 'black mark' and 'whiter than white'. 

The BBC informed staff of the changes during a webinar centred on 'avoiding racial bias'.

Presenters and pundits were also warned not to 'fall into the trap' of racially stereotyping black players by describing them as having 'pace' and/or 'power'.

Up to 450 members of staff are believed to have attended the training webinar and the BBC invited participation from rival broadcasters Sky Sports, ITV, BT Sport, Premier League Productions and talkSPORT."

If I’m allowed to say it in this bbc nonsensed pc world, God help us.

This rubbish is odious and pathetic. Stop wasting my licence fee on shit bbc. You are left wing, PC rubbish.

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Are you ITK?

To be fair, he would be a good start. A very mobile midfielder, goal threat, good physique etc. Think he'd be perfect alongside JWP. The only concerns I'd have over him is how long-term is it? Are we simply borrowing him for a season and then  he'll go back to Chelsea or get sold for a large sum after a good year with us?

Palace played him off the striker, so not sure he is going to play next to JWP, unless there is someone behind them? I'd of thought RLC career at Chelsea was done. I am guessing everyone wants him as a cheap loan, but Chelsea want someone to step up with a transfer payment - hence no movement as yet. 

Edited by Chez

57 minutes ago, SKD said:

Given that generally speaking we do alright against the top teams (who will play on the front foot and we counter) and struggle against those who sit deep and we can’t break down, I’d suggest we need a creative midfielder who can pick a pass. 

Absolutely. Needed this since we gave up on Lemina. 

5 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Genuine question - what type of central midfielder are we after ?

I think it is too simplistic to say CM or DM, they need to have certain qualities for Ralphs system, how do they compare to JWP, do we need more creative or just a destroyer to fit in our system of collective pressing and disruption ?

So I have had a look at the last 3 linked and compared them with JWP - personally I like Veermans decisiveness as i think that is missing from a lot of our players 

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.30.34.png

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.31.13.png

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 15.31.55.png

I may be misreading the above and will happily admit to never having heard of this Diallo fella but doesn't this all indicate that he's a crock of shite?

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

To be honest we never replaced Tadic. 

Even Pellè I remember as doing better against the worse teams, if anything he used to slow down our counter attacks and some people didn’t like him. He was, however, good at getting the end of something on a cross against teams like Sundeland, Stoke, QPR, Newcastle etc. Bit of a moot point now we have Ings but with GP I always felt we had a goal in us when teams came to SMS to defend.

2 hours ago, Gordon Mockles said:

I’d say preferring someone like Theo Walcott over Sessegnon does more work towards moron status than a gif ever will. 

No I'd definitely say accusing someone of saying something they haven't when you literally have written evidence to check is top level moron status. Congrats 👍

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

We need an additional wide player, not an Armstrong type.

We are relying on Tella to provide that pace/directness, but we do need someone else to provide that as well. If one of Moussa or Redmond is injured, our only bench alternative is Tella.

We're not in Europe or even in the League cup, why the hell would we need 3 first teamers for one position? Even most top 6 clubs use youngsters as their third choice. 

That is how you block the development of young players right there, having random foreign players as your back ups back. 

33 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Would people be satisfied with 1 loan and an Ings new contract out of interest?

Absolutely. That would be better than 3 new signings for me. Ings is our most important player by a mile and at the moment he is leaving next summer on the cheap. No one we will sign will likely be more important than him in the long run. A single loan would be a pain but we could make do and survive on that comfortably, then massive rebuild next season with new owners and one of the leagues best strikers behind us.

32 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Would people be satisfied with 1 loan and an Ings new contract out of interest?

Satisfied but not thrilled, provided the 1 loan is a decent CM to replace Hoj. If Salisu is half decent, we can make par in midfield and up front and eagle the defence. That puts us hopefully a bit better than last year and in the 10-15th bracket in the table.

Next summer Carrillo and Boufal will definitely be off the books for good, which gives us a bit more freedom with wages and hopefully a new owner.

• Sad 1

RLC is a good player, and he would certainly make us better. But, the main reasons I don't think he will sign for us:

1. He isnt in any way shape or form a no6

2. His wages are believed to be close to 150k a week and I dont think Chelsea would agree to subsidising half

3. We would have zero chance of signing him permanently, so not sure its Saints style.

IMO they will try for someone like Diallo, and would probably take someone like Davies as there is a decent chance we could keep him longer term if he were to do well.

If we got Diallo or similar, plus RLC then thats a different story.

24 minutes ago, Dusic said:

RLC is a good player, and he would certainly make us better. But, the main reasons I don't think he will sign for us:

1. He isnt in any way shape or form a no6

2. His wages are believed to be close to 150k a week and I dont think Chelsea would agree to subsidising half

3. We would have zero chance of signing him permanently, so not sure its Saints style.

IMO they will try for someone like Diallo, and would probably take someone like Davies as there is a decent chance we could keep him longer term if he were to do well.

If we got Diallo or similar, plus RLC then thats a different story.

In a funny way, RLC brings us exactly what we need (ability on the ball, strength & power and creativity), but everything we don’t need as he’s not a no6 

imo, if he comes in, it’s to replace Boufal rather than PEH

Edited by SKD

Spoke to another Dutch friend today about Veerman. Same story. Says he may be a great player one day with the right coaching, but not currently at the level required for the Prem. Laughed when I told him the price that was being mentioned. He reckoned €5m would be worth a gamble. If he becomes a first team player in 2 years then you've done well. If not, you can sell him back to a Dutch club and get your money back. He mentioned that Jordi Classe is a good example of how difficult it is to make the step up to the Premiership. His view is that only two Dutch teams would survive in the Premiership - Ajax and PSV. Went on to say that maybe Feyenoord would stay up, but in reality, 90% of the players in the Eridivisie are Championship standard. 
Finally, he thought Sangare going to PSV was a very strange move. One Dutch paper reported that he chose PSV over Saints because he wanted to play European football, but why would you want European Football with a club who won't get past the first couple of rounds?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vectraman said:

This rubbish is odious and pathetic. Stop wasting my licence fee on shit bbc. You are left wing, PC rubbish.

It isn't the BBC. They are a public broadcaster who are under threat from a government who wants to put anything of value into private hands, private hands in which they have an interest.

They are therefore an easy target for bullies who either want to make them look out-of-touch or weak or who have there own personal PC agenda.

Wake up.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Spoke to another Dutch friend today about Veerman. Same story. Says he may be a great player one day with the right coaching, but not currently at the level required for the Prem. Laughed when I told him the price that was being mentioned. He reckoned €5m would be worth a gamble. If he becomes a first team player in 2 years then you've done well. If not, you can sell him back to a Dutch club and get your money back. He mentioned that Jordi Classe is a good example of how difficult it is to make the step up to the Premiership. His view is that only two Dutch teams would survive in the Premiership - Ajax and PSV. Went on to say that maybe Feyenoord would stay up, but in reality, 90% of the players in the Eridivisie are Championship standard. 
Finally, he thought Sangare going to PSV was a very strange move. One Dutch paper reported that he chose PSV over Saints because he wanted to play European football, but why would you want European Football with a club who won't get past the first couple of rounds?

Well if he wanted European Football he sure as duck ain’t getting it with us so I guess a few early guaranteed games before getting knocked out looked quite appealing in that sense. 

3 hours ago, vectraman said:

The BBC who pretend that our moron of a PM walks on water is left wing? OK pal.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Sideways Jim said:

I'm sure he has been! Chelsea won't let him go elsewhere until they've ruled out the possibility of getting Rice.

6 hours ago, Restark19 said:

The BBC who pretend that our moron of a PM walks on water is left wing? OK pal.

No the one that's broadcast in the UK on television and radio 

Edited by Nolan

11 hours ago, TWar said:

Absolutely. That would be better than 3 new signings for me. Ings is our most important player by a mile and at the moment he is leaving next summer on the cheap. No one we will sign will likely be more important than him in the long run. A single loan would be a pain but we could make do and survive on that comfortably, then massive rebuild next season with new owners and one of the leagues best strikers behind us.

Not according to Danny Ings he isn't. 

Where you get this kind of garbage from?

From the Dutch journalist who first reported our interest in Veerman:

SC Heerenveen and the Veerman camp do not assume that it will come from a transfer to Southampton this week. The English have shifted their attention for various reasons. Four more days until the market closes.

Think we can forget about him for his window.

Nothing more reported on Diallo since the initial l'equipe piece.

Edited by Dusic

When was the last time we tried to rush two deals through on transfer deadline day?

I remember Mane and Toby but the deal took a couple of weeks as we had snippets beforehand.

I personally think we will only get one loan deal in before Monday as we’ve left it too late.

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

From the Dutch journalist who first reported our interest in Veerman:

SC Heerenveen and the Veerman camp do not assume that it will come from a transfer to Southampton this week. The English have shifted their attention for various reasons. Four more days until the market closes.

Think we can forget about him for his window.

Nothing more reported on Diallo since the initial l'equipe piece.

Apart from Leicester still sniffing around...

1 hour ago, Archangel said:

Not according to Danny Ings he isn't. 

Where you get this kind of garbage from?

If Danny Ings doesn't sign a contract then next summer he will have one year left. This means either we sell him then at a dramatically reduced price or we allow him to go on a free the following summer. This is pretty basic stuff. It is not "garbage". The only thing that would prevent this situation is him signing a contract, which he has yet to do hence the "at the moment". Didn't realise people would need this explicitly spelled out for them.

Also where did Ings say he was definitely staying? If that is the case why hasn't he signed a contract yet?

Edited by TWar
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1