The Sunday Times - Southampton put up for sale at £250m

The Odd Guy

8 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It is almost certain that there will be a big announcement around then. Biden takes over from Trump! 🤞

Kraft is a big Trump supporter along with Brady (now departed from NEP) . If Trump admits he’s actually lost the vote that will be a very good thing for the planet Earth . Nobody is struck on Biden but if Trump is defeated then hooray .

Not sure if Saints will gain from Kraft taking over but ....

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Problem is when most people think of the Mayflower they think Plymouth rather than Southampton. Even though Plymouth was essentially a service station stop on a long drive.

if you announced a link up between New England & Southampton they could provide a valuable educational service, couldn't they.

Let's join up with a Dutch club too and properly get the journey of the Mayflower recognised.

27 minutes ago, Nolan said:

if you announced a link up between New England & Southampton they could provide a valuable educational service, couldn't they.

Let's join up with a Dutch club too and properly get the journey of the Mayflower recognised.

And invite Boston United to complete the story and route.. 

Edited by Badger

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Problem is when most people think of the Mayflower they think Plymouth rather than Southampton. Even though Plymouth was essentially a service station stop on a long drive.

Mayflower sprang a leak, and they put into Plymouth for repairs. Most people agree Titanic sailed from Southampton, although she did stop at Cherbourg and Queenstown following her departure from Southampton......

Just now, trousers said:

Uh-oh...

"It remains unclear whether his interest in buying Southampton will be successful, because the proposal is dependent on significant borrowing"

Is anyone surprised to hear that? Im not sure that a takeover is necessarily a good thing. I personally hope we don't buy a load of new players whe and it goes through. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Tell us more or I'll ask one of my annoying probing questions again... ;)

I just knew about this a few days ago hence the earlier allusion and the thread bump. Ndas have been signed by people I talk to and a person on here who would know so not much else to say. I was told that kat is happy though. Again not sure if that's a positive for saints! 

Edited by hypochondriac

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Uh-oh...

"It remains unclear whether his interest in buying Southampton will be successful, because the proposal is dependent on significant borrowing"

Yeah, load the debt back on to the club.. Not even Gao's excuse of trying to get his money out of China.

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Is anyone surprised to hear that? Im not sure that a takeover is necessarily a good thing. I personally hope we don't buy a load of new players whe and it goes through. 

I'm not entirely sure how it all works... If they need to borrow cash to take it over, why would we see loads of new signings?

The new signings bit is more than likely assumed. 

The 'exclusive negotiations' bit is interesting detail, though.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

I'm not entirely sure how it all works... If they need to borrow cash to take it over, why would we see loads of new signings?

The new signings bit is more than likely assumed. 

Proba ly want a statement of intent and view it as an investment? To be honest though we really don't need a load of new signings. Three at the max. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Proba ly want a statement of intent and view it as an investment? To be honest though we really don't need a load of new signings. Three at the max. 

Surely there isn't enough time to conclude a takeover before this transfer window closes anyway, is there? 

So, can't see us making any inroads into the transfer market until January if we were taken over.

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Surely there isn't enough time to conclude a takeover before this transfer window closes anyway, is there? 

So, can't see us making any inroads into the transfer market until January if we were taken over.

I wouldn't think so. I was told mid October like I said earlier so seems unlikely. 

23 minutes ago, trousers said:

Uh-oh...

Didn’t K Billy allude to ‘Americans taking over using debt secured against the club’ a number of months ago?

Would seem to fit.

Sounds like an absolute joker to be honest, so its probably true.

To think an established PL side could get lumbered with the likes of Gao and this bloke.

At least Gao seemingly recognises that he knows nothing about football and leaves others to run it (easily his best attribute).

This guy sounds like one of those who thinks he gets it - the most dangerous kind of owner.

Edited by Dusic

22 minutes ago, Cartman said:

You can say what you like about Goa but at least he never made us part of a group of clubs 

Always a bit nervy at the idea of new ownership tbh. Gao isn’t a Venky’s, or an Allam, if he left tomorrow i think it’d be hard to say he did much (if anything) wrong in his time here. Yes, he’s not the owner we’d all love, but he also doesn’t seem to be a total basket case either. Be careful what you wish for and all that, I guess. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

One thing I will say is that the bloke who told me about this strongly believes that this is a good thing. I'm not sure myself. 

I m convinced that it is good too.

You don’t succeed without investment.

If this guy is prepared to invest to increase the value of the club then what is wrong with that?

You still need to adhere to financial fair play so the only way so it is not going to be a full blown out investment.

And what is wrong with having multiple clubs like the city group? It just means we have partner club with same principles where we can send youngsters out on loan.

As long as we keep our tradition with the academy and Ralph is on board with this, it is much better news that hzving next to no finance and having to sell before we can do anything

• Like 2

His ambition is to grow a global network of clubs with Southampton as its hub. He's talking about getting major clubs in Brazil, as well as top division teams in Europe's main leagues. 

There is great potential there for saints. But it could also be too good to be true. 

Certainly though, it is something to be excited about. Don't forget, sources inside the club have been making happy houses for a while whilst this has been going on. Including Ralph and Semmens. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

His ambition is to grow a global network of clubs with Southampton as its hub. He's talking about getting major clubs in Brazil, as well as top division teams in Europe's main leagues. 

There is great potential there for saints. But it could also be too good to be true. 

Certainly though, it is something to be excited about. Don't forget, sources inside the club have been making happy houses for a while whilst this has been going on. Including Ralph and Semmens. 

Doesn't bode well he has to sell a top flight team to buy another if thats his ambition. Where the money going to come from because he won't make anything outta us?

8 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Doesn't bode well he has to sell a top flight team to buy another if thats his ambition. Where the money going to come from because he won't make anything outta us?

As we're already in the self-sustainable model (and have been for years), then what difference will it make if he doesn't put any money in?

57 minutes ago, angelman said:

As we're already in the self-sustainable model (and have been for years), then what difference will it make if he doesn't put any money in?

It was more aimed at wanting to build a global network of clubs than buying players etc.

Edited by skintsaint

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

He got bought out by his partners - they had 80% stake.

Based on articles he seems to invest with a partner (reason he skipped newcastle was his partner pulled out) and he is the man with the plan to implement and run.

Can't find anything about estimated net worth but i would take billionaire with a pinch of salt but defo more than Gao.

From April 2020 - Forbes https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertkidd/2020/04/30/us-investor-plans-premier-league-club-takeover-to-recreate-city-football-group/#24d139407b1a

DaGrosa, said GACP Sports was talking to “large institutional investors” and wants to move “fairly quickly”.  He sees a window of opportunity of 24 months to recreate the City Football Group model “at a fraction of the cost”.

“Ultimately, we want to build a platform that will lend itself to going public at some point,” he said.

“But the idea is to have all the capital in place, allocate approximately two thirds of our capital for acquisitions, and leave a third or more of our capital as dry powder.

“The whole key here is to have dry powder after those initial acquisitions are done to build world class teams at a time when not a lot of other people are investing. Thematically, it's all about playing offense when the rest of the world is playing defense.”

Edited by Convict Colony