The Sunday Times - Southampton put up for sale at £250m

The Odd Guy

Yeah I dont think gao has much wiggle room and no leverage.

He was looking for 250mil in apr https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/southampton-put-up-for-sale-by-gao-jisheng/#:~:text=Premier League football club Southampton,Gao Jisheng%2C the Chinese businessman.  bet its more like 175m now

Reminder of the article in may linking us with american investors - https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11981915/coronavirus-disrupts-southampton-sale-talks-over-gao-jisheng-majority-share

Edited by Convict Colony

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Yeah I dont think gao has much wiggle room and no leverage.

He was looking for 250mil in apr https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/southampton-put-up-for-sale-by-gao-jisheng/#:~:text=Premier League football club Southampton,Gao Jisheng%2C the Chinese businessman.  bet its more like 175m now

I’d imagine it would be worth playing the long game for any new buyer. Certainly a buyer’s market.

14 minutes ago, Delmary said:

Am struggling to see how he is a chancer based on that article, if anything Mr (I changed the fit and proper test) Gao is the biggest chancer this side of mike ashley

7 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Doesn't bode well he has to sell a top flight team to buy another if thats his ambition. Where the money going to come from because he won't make anything outta us?

It's clear it will be financed through debt. There's no pot if money to put in. At first glance I'm underwhelmed: it comes over as a lot of big talk with little substance 

Edited by Shroppie

9 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

He seems to talk a lot — which instantly concerns me.

Agreed. Although it would be nice to hear from Gao now and again, I quite like the fact he doesn't say a great amount and stays out of the way. More investment would be welcome but at the end of the day he lets Martin and Ralph get on with it.

45 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Am struggling to see how he is a chancer based on that article, if anything Mr (I changed the fit and proper test) Gao is the biggest chancer this side of mike ashley

I’d take Ashley over Gao and this muppet every day of the week. 

Edited by SKD

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

One thing I will say is that the bloke who told me about this strongly believes that this is a good thing. I'm not sure myself. 

Im not really sure why people are slagging him off already. He's certainly said the right things about respecting the clubs history, growing the club etc. I cant see too much wrong in what he's said so far. If we are at the centre of a Man City type structure i dont see that as a bad thing either. 

• Like 2

He was a disaster at Bordeaux, making a transfer profit every window and closing the Ultras End because of their protests about how he was running the club. There was write up somewhere last year that basically said that he thought he had paid too much money for the club and wanted to get it back any way that he could.

To me he sounds like another Rupert Lowe type of owner. 

3 minutes ago, redkeith said:

He was a disaster at Bordeaux, making a transfer profit every window and closing the Ultras End because of their protests about how he was running the club. There was write up somewhere last year that basically said that he thought he had paid too much money for the club and wanted to get it back any way that he could.

So not much different to the Liebhers or Goa either!

3 minutes ago, redkeith said:

The sfc ultras should start mobilising in anticipation. If he outlaws face paints and jester hats then we will know we are in trouble. Dark times. 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Reading this thread reminded me of the time that insane poster tried to say that using the word Chinaman when describing Gao was offensive and racist. Lolololol

Is it racist and offensive to slag off Americans as well? We need some of our Woke posters to tell us. Calling aintforver and Soggy to the thread.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is it racist and offensive to slag off Americans as well? We need some of our Woke posters to tell us. Calling aintforver and Soggy to the thread.

As a man who has 1/200000th of my dna as indigenous American, I'm offended by the term "American." I'd prefer "descendents of redskin oppressors". Cheers. 

24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He's certainly said the right things about respecting the clubs history, growing the club etc. I cant see too much wrong in what he's said so far.

I'm pretty sure a charlatan would say good things too, perhaps even more so in order to create an impressive veneer. 

MLG notes: I'm not suggesting this DaGrosa fella is a charlatan, just highlighting that saying the right things is something both a good guy and a bad guy would do 

1 minute ago, trousers said:

I'm pretty sure a charlatan would say good things too, perhaps even more so in order to create an impressive veneer. 

MLG notes: I'm not suggesting this DaGrosa fella is a charlatan, just highlighting that saying the right things is something both a good guy and a bad guy would do 

If he hadn't said anything about respecting a clubs history, just buying us and making us part of a poor mans City Football Group then everyone would be outraged that he has no respect for our history.

57 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So not much different to the Liebhers or Goa either!

Lowe is very different from Goa.

Whilst neither have material funds, Lowe was a man with a (many) plan(s) and sought personal profile. They were just mostly shite plans. Goa has no discernible plan, strategy or interest other than some personal financial maneuvering.

He seems to talk a lot — which instantly concerns me.

It's clear it will be financed through debt. There's no pot if money to put in. At first glance I'm underwhelmed: it comes over as a lot of big talk with little substance 

These summarise it for me. The Bordeaux experience doesn't bode well either.

And, fundamentally, it’s a private equity fund. It has investors and it has a duty to provide them with returns. History and tradition will only be viewed as meaningful if they can be monetised, otherwise it’s empty words. And for SFC, history and tradition will never be financially meaningful relative to Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. even Spurs.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/nufc-linked-billionaire-joe-dagrosa-antithesis-mike-ashley-and-heres-why-806338

“In our case we want to build the club from the ground up, produce home-grown players and eventually keep a lot of that talent in Bordeaux.

“We have got to develop young talent, like a fine wine and wait for the right vintage. This is with a view to having a very strong squad in two, three, four years time.”

16 minutes ago, Nolan said:

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/nufc-linked-billionaire-joe-dagrosa-antithesis-mike-ashley-and-heres-why-806338

“In our case we want to build the club from the ground up, produce home-grown players and eventually keep a lot of that talent in Bordeaux.

“We have got to develop young talent, like a fine wine and wait for the right vintage. This is with a view to having a very strong squad in two, three, four years time.”

This guy seems a legit football visionary 👍

He reminds me of Simon Clifford.

10 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

wouldn't put it past the club to link details of one interested party to the press, while they are actually working with another.

As we have been told we do not do any of our business in the media so i fully expect us to pull out of this deal now

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

If he hadn't said anything about respecting a clubs history, just buying us and making us part of a poor mans City Football Group then everyone would be outraged that he has no respect for our history.

I just wish these buyers didn't say anything at all. Keep your gob shut until the deal is done. 

Don't tell me which new players you are buying. Don't tell me you grew up wearing Phil Boyer pyjamas. Just do the deal out quietly and without leaking a load of nonsense through the press. Once the deal is done then present your plans more publicly.