The Sunday Times - Southampton put up for sale at £250m

The Odd Guy

15 minutes ago, STEVEADAMS said:

MSD holdings U.K. have loaned Saints an amount secured against the stadium amd assets. Michael dell is not a director but ultimately it's his funds I suppose. That's what I can read so far.

Strange one, I'm not sure what to read into that. Why would MSD holdings/Michael Dell give a secured loan?, I would like to think that it is a pre purchase arrangement of some sort but its all a bit odd. 

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

Strange one, I'm not sure what to read into that. Why would MSD holdings/Michael Dell give a secured loan?, I would like to think that it is a pre purchase arrangement of some sort but its all a bit odd. 

I'm not sure why it's so strange - not having a go. It's simple, like most (if not all clubs) we want/need a loan to smooth out our cash flow - particularly in these times, as we do not get all our TV money etc. evenly on a weekly/monthly basis, but the outgoing are. All this is for now is that we have a better loan deal from MSD than we had from the previous guys - so nothing to see here.

Having said that, once a relationship has been built up and if they like the cut of us and feel there is an investment opportunity down the track (1 to 2 years), they may well want to invest in a share or outright buyout. This is what happened with Sunderland - they loaned them money, but in the final analysis did not consider them a good investment. MSD have no equity in Saints whatsoever, unless the loan is secured against assets, which may be the case but that only comes into force if we default when instalments are due. This is why they can make loans to several clubs at the same time. Still no harm getting exposure to an American lending institution - makes you wonder why Mr. Gobbledegook couldn't (and yes I know he was Canadian, but claimed to have a lot of US contacts).   

2 hours ago, Delmary said:

It does feel like more than a loan. MSD with their involvement in Sunderland and Derby have clearly been sniffing around English football clubs but we will be the first ones to actually receive some cash from them. I am sure that if they just wanted to lend money to a business they could have found some other company in these covid ridden times.

In a normal year this would have been the middle of the close season. The players would not yet have returned to training, Wimbledon would be on and Premier League football would not be at the centre of attention. Perfect timing to announce new investment.

Edited by Tamesaint

I wonder if this has anything to do with this story on Sky Sports in May. 

An American-based company has held talks to buy Gao Jisheng's majority share of Southampton, but the coronavirus pandemic has held up discussions.

The group has shown interest in purchasing the Chinese businessman's 80 per cent controlling stake, which he put up for sale earlier this year.

They have been described to Sky Sports News as the only serious player in a potential takeover, following interest from more than two parties.

However, it is understood those talks have been disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic and a deal is not close to being agreed.

Previous owner Katharina Liebherr, who sits on the board and retains a 20 per cent stake, is said to have been actively involved in discussions

11 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with this story on Sky Sports in May. 

An American-based company has held talks to buy Gao Jisheng's majority share of Southampton, but the coronavirus pandemic has held up discussions.

The group has shown interest in purchasing the Chinese businessman's 80 per cent controlling stake, which he put up for sale earlier this year.

They have been described to Sky Sports News as the only serious player in a potential takeover, following interest from more than two parties.

However, it is understood those talks have been disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic and a deal is not close to being agreed.

Previous owner Katharina Liebherr, who sits on the board and retains a 20 per cent stake, is said to have been actively involved in discussions

I would guess it's not linked.  But I do believe there is something in that Sky Sports story above.

• 4 weeks later...

Now who is going to buy Coutinho and Hulk??

They were all set to be the next Man City!

Never mind....Mike Ashley actually keeps the £17m deposit they made as well, so he's financially laughing whilst the club will continue to languish.

The fact that many of them seemed to pin their hopes on it being similar to Gao's protracted takeover of us tells you how desperate they are. If that's the attitude pervading through the club then it cannot end well. My guess is when they do get sold it will be a fascinating honeymoon period before a rather rude awakening, by which point they will be looking nervously at the lower end of the Championship.

On 29/07/2020 at 09:22, CB Fry said:

Forum legend. Also, scumbag.

The forum stories about him were comical but what an absolute pr**k! Makes a mockery of our judicial system. 

“Yet in a pre-sentence report Barry Beardall said he “recently” inherited £25,000 and the judge wondered where that had come from and if it had been declared – adding the previous confiscation proceedings could be reopened and some of the inheritance money used to pay back more.

But Mr Martin said his client had spent all but £2,500 of it...”

Yeah. Seemingly spent on takeaways. The cowardly, divisive fat c**t!!

Edited by Gordon Mockles

4 hours ago, Ultimatt said:

How did the premier league accept Gao as a director along with all our dodgy sponsors and then hold up the Newcastle bid. It's probably for the best for us but really strange the deal didn't go through.

Gao wouldn’t pass the owners test now.

Edited by benjii

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

The New York based company linked to Michael Dell has injected £30m into Derby county secured against club assets 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/08/12/derby-county-receive-30m-cash-injection-american-billionaire/

A loan into club secured against assets. Very common and plenty of clubs do it to asset with cash flow 

Piece in The Athletic this morning talking about ex-Prem exec Richard Scudamore joining the board of a US-listed company to target European football, with a prem club at the top of their wish list.

Moneyball head Billy Beane is involved in the group.

The group is called RedBall.

It talks about US investment in sport & how appealing football is — The article ends with this:

“American interest in European football isn’t new but it’s ramped up recently because some organisations are struggling and existing owners are trying to get out. Another factor is that it’s hard to get into US sport — the valuations are astronomical and minority stakes are rare. But for £200 million you could buy Southampton, for example. The prices are appealing.”

17 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Piece in The Athletic this morning talking about ex-Prem exec Richard Scudamore joining the board of a US-listed company to target European football, with a prem club at the top of their wish list.

Moneyball head Billy Beane is involved in the group.

The group is called RedBall.

It talks about US investment in sport & how appealing football is — The article ends with this:

“American interest in European football isn’t new but it’s ramped up recently because some organisations are struggling and existing owners are trying to get out. Another factor is that it’s hard to get into US sport — the valuations are astronomical and minority stakes are rare. But for £200 million you could buy Southampton, for example. The prices are appealing.”

Probably a saints fan too with his parents naming him after Bill Beaney.

17 minutes ago, IFHP said:

Raised £440 million - well it’s not going to be us then

Why ? Its not just stumping up the money for buying the club. Funds are then needed to invest otherwise you are left with a situation....well, like we are now with Gao.

Sounds just about right for a club of our size.

Edited by beatlesaint

Red Ball took an 85% stake in Toulouse last month.

So they could take over and let Kat retain her stake.

https://www.penews.com/articles/ex-goldman-bankers-buyout-group-redbird-snaps-up-french-football-club-toulouse-20200720

Keep on seeing data analytics mentioned in articles about them too.

Sounds like hand and glove.

Edited by Nolan