Things That are Racist

Turkish

This whole thread is racist, a bunch of white privileged blokes commenting on the topic. In fact I’d say the whole board is racist. Discussing semi finals, JWP, Ralph and injuries whilst totally ignoring important cultural events like “Muslim women’s day”. Disgraceful. If it was white or Hispanic chick day, there’d be loads of photos and posts celebrating. 

0F78BF27-AC20-4D60-9D10-1CA57109CC94.jpeg

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

😂 trying to appear culturally diverse coming back to bite people on the arse.  

On 27/03/2021 at 17:56, Manuel said:

"that one friend that thinks their black" was the tweet.  

Hardly the worst thing I can remember reading.  A fine for his grammar is probably in order.  

My bad, he used the N-word.  "#N*****Please"

Hopefully, as it's historical and he has apologised, it'll go no further.  He was also 15 years old at the time...

1 hour ago, Manuel said:

My bad, he used the N-word.  "#N*****Please"

Hopefully, as it's historical and he has apologised, it'll go no further.  He was also 15 years old at the time...

He did, and it is a horrible word. He was a 15 year old from Hereford at the time with very narrow horizons that will have broadened massively now as a 24 year Premier League star in one of the world’s biggest cities and a diverse squad in some mitigation. I’ve not seen any other incidents involving Bowen since and I think it should be seen as an opportunity for him further down the line post worst of pandemic/social distancing to educate today’s generation of 15 year olds in a couple of workshops run by WHU who would look up to him about how what he wrote and what the world is really like. IMHO, that would be a better than a fine which has no impact or a ban for what he did as a minor. 

3 hours ago, saint1977 said:

an opportunity for him further down the line post worst of pandemic/social distancing to educate today’s generation of 15 year olds in a couple of workshops run by WHU

Or, just a suggestion, we can all accept that a teenage boy once did something stupid a decade ago, forget about it and move on with our lives.

The criticism from me is aimed squarely at whoever is digging up these social media posts from teenagers in past decades, simply for the sake of causing a stink about racism. They were dead posts, which weren’t offending anyone and should have remained that way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Or, just a suggestion, we can all accept that a teenage boy once did something stupid a decade ago, forget about it and move on with our lives.

The criticism from me is aimed squarely at whoever is digging up these social media posts from teenagers in past decades, simply for the sake of causing a stink about racism. They were dead posts, which weren’t offending anyone and should have remained that way.

I also felt it was a bit unfair to have dug it up from when Bowen was a minor so we do broadly concur. In the current climate where the topic is very heated (given the volume of abuse being directed at black players globally) there’s some positives that can come out of it through educating the next generation rather than punishing the player now, which I don’t think would be reasonable. One of the learning points is that nothing is ever really deleted on social media platforms. I do hope that he doesn’t have any sanctions from the PL but my suggestion came about as an alternative to a fine or ban. I personally would leave it at his apology as it was when he was 15. 

Putting Bowen to one side, you can see why the PL and FA are hot on the issue though. As well as the almost daily racist tweets after matches, you’ve got stuff like this. I agree with Baddiel, extreme reactions to something so innocuous on the inclusion front are not just an Aston Villa or sport issue, but society over the last few years on social media. Hopefully with the nice weather they will find other activities than spewing bile.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56570189

4 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Putting Bowen to one side, you can see why the PL and FA are hot on the issue though. As well as the almost daily racist tweets after matches, you’ve got stuff like this. I agree with Baddiel, extreme reactions to something so innocuous on the inclusion front are not just an Aston Villa or sport issue, but society over the last few years on social media. Hopefully with the nice weather they will find other activities than spewing bile.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56570189

I'd hazard a guess that given about 1 in 5 people in Birmingham according to wikipedia are Muslim...it was always going to get a decent number of 'angry faces'....

• Like 1

Not racist but a tannoy for Lord Duckhunter (and others) to this thread. I remember the stick Wendy Toms got as a new lino (and she was decent at it, often in tandem with fellow Dorset resident Paul Durkin) but a female referee is pioneering territory. MInd you, working in a postal sorting centre at the same time probably prepared her to deal with some of the terraces. 

Can’t be worse than Mike Dean or Lee Mason as a positive. Just waiting for the first tabloid or social media storm about chanting by fans when they are back in grounds and the likes of MIllwall away is nasty for even the most robust of players and officials. The current players might not be so bothered as previous generations might have been. She could do a good job, hope she does, and it could be a quiet start as Vale are safe and Harrogate are nowhere near the top or bottom in 15th. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56578350

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

The new racism report seems to have caused quite a stir. Funny to watch

So the report finds that the UK is not systemically racist.  Although today's Guardian's headline reads 'Considerable number' giving evidence to race commission said UK is systemically racist.  

Oh well, back to square one.

46 minutes ago, Manuel said:

So the report finds that the UK is not systemically racist.  Although today's Guardian's headline reads 'Considerable number' giving evidence to race commission said UK is systemically racist.  

Oh well, back to square one.

It’s not like the guardian to look for racism everywhere 

anyway. Not the Uk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56585538

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

The new racism report seems to have caused quite a stir. Funny to watch

Strange isn’t it? Instead of being pleased about the lack of racism in the country, some are absolutely gutted. It’s a “real low blow" according to  shadow equalities secretary Marsha de Cordova. These people are desperate to find racism. 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Strange isn’t it? Instead of being pleased about the lack of racism in the country, some are absolutely gutted. It’s a “real low blow" according to  shadow equalities secretary Marsha de Cordova. These people are desperate to find racism. 

You cant win. If they said there was a lot of racism they'd be outraged at the amount, now they've found a lack of it they're outraged that they didn't find enough. Whatever is done is never right or good enough.

BBC news is pathetic and giving so many critics of the report ‘yeah but…’

so many wankers and sounds a sensible to me. Afro Caribbean under perform in education that is a fact. Oh and don’t dare mention broken homes.

I despair and feel like being force to being more right wing by rejecting these cunts looking for conflict everywhere 

43 minutes ago, whelk said:

so many wankers and sounds a sensible to me. Afro Caribbean under perform in education that is a fact. Oh and don’t dare mention broken homes.

I despair and feel like being force to being more right wing by rejecting these cunts looking for conflict everywhere 

CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT:  I did once wonder if it was a deliberate ploy by the BBC/Government, to give the impression that the country was moving in a loony-left direction in order to gain Tory votes as a reaction. 

Perhaps we are being manipulated...

Edited by Manuel

5 hours ago, whelk said:

Exactly why I've given up with the news. Every time I load BBC News or even Sky News there is some guff with some little group or some w*nker from Twitter looking to cause an argument.

"What about people called Jendra who identify as quasi-sexual and work in the brick laying industry, how is the vaccine fair for them?"

Every. F**king day. 

I've completely switched off from it all now. 

Caught a sound bite from Dianne Abbott on the news last night whilst driving home. She was telling everyone, in her usual - conducting a primary school assembly - voice that, "some people think it’s our job, as people of colour, to have to prove that systemic racism exists in society."

Yes Dianne, that’s how the burden of proof works.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

Always liked the polish 

They were never going to take the knee for this Marxist organisation. A country that experienced the horrors of communism first hand. 

The difference between a nation to see the issues first hand and the some idiotic students who’ve been brainwashed in university. 

I know who I’d be backing 👍🏻

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Caught a sound bite from Dianne Abbott on the news last night whilst driving home. She was telling everyone, in her usual - conducting a primary school assembly - voice that, "some people think it’s our job, as people of colour, to have to prove that systemic racism exists in society."

Apparently you think that's how the Police and Crown Prosecution Service works -  The victim has to prove not only they were a victim but that the crime existed in the first place. Well done 

3 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Apparently you think that's how the Police and Crown Prosecution Service works -  The victim has to prove not only they were a victim but that the crime existed in the first place. Well done 

What's your point? When a crime is alleged, you're innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof lies with the person making the claim.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

There seems to be a confusion about a racist society and a society having some racist people in it. 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

They were never going to take the knee for this Marxist organisation. A country that experienced the horrors of communism first hand. 

The difference between a nation to see the issues first hand and the some idiotic students who’ve been brainwashed in university. 

I know who I’d be backing 👍🏻

They experienced the horrors of the Nazis and ended up with Russian control , unfortunately they have now gone extreme right wing . Like Hungary they have a history of being taken over by outside regimes , had their borders redrawn several times and are now being ruled by an elected 'dictatorship' We are lucky to be an island although Boris is dragging us in the same direction as Poland and Hungary , as demonstrated by his predetermined investigation of racism by know deniers of institutnional racism concluding we a beacon of multiculturism in the white world . I never went to university .

Predictably depressing and binary responses to the report from many quarters, rather than a balanced look at what's improved and what remains to be improved with a commitment to action plans to remedy them. For me, single identity politics has gone too far, it's very hard to write cohesive responses to address issues for a whole range of different groups. That was the whole point of rolling gender, race, disability, LGBT+ into the Equality Act 2010 from each of the previous generation of individual acts 1970s-90s. If you tackle persistent inequality and dismantle barriers for one focus area, it should create the conditions to do it for all. Just seems that May/Cameron's obsession with immigration led to Windrush, building de-regulation too rapidly led to Grenfell, austerity re-opened a sense of socio-economic bitterness across the most deprived areas for all groups (including white working class).

What some of the responses on this thread lose sight of is how many of the posters here are from a BAME background? I'm not, so there has to be some listening from beyond the loud voices of the activists on social media about what their life is actually like in Haringey, Burnley, Bristol or Shirley. What matters to them and what might help them? I think the socio-economic issues are getting over-run by the cultural issues. Those do certainly require reasoned and objective discussion as well e.g. history and the Empire but they are cheaper headlines for the tabloids to produce a headline on. 

Talking of socio-economic inequalities:

People from ethnic minorities are more likely to have persistent low incomes and among young people unemployment rates are high even for Indian and Chinese people who "comfortably outperform the white average in education and incomes overall and generally benefit from positive stereotypes".

It says discrimination is "likely to be a part of the story", with experiments showing ethnic minority candidates have to apply for about 1.6 times the number of jobs to get the same number of responses as a white person.

Here's one area that could be focused on from the report. HR departments are part of the problem - they collect logos like Stonewall or Disability Confident but what I've seen as a manager in other areas is that it gets people an interview but the questions/process are very narrow or the person is offered the role and then has problems with checks especially if they aren't UK born (thanks to Theresa May).

If the person makes it through that to the start date because they are an excellent candidate, they then need the right mentoring at different times to maximise their potential. That's just as true for someone white who has been in the care system, left the military through illness as it is race. The current approach from too many employers, big public sector as the worst, is that it doesn't put this investment in, it collects data and logos to make them feel better. Even when it recruits, retention and progression levels are too low, especially for Afro-Caribbean backgrounds. I don't agree that bit of the report entirely - some fair adjustments are needed, especially as this pandemic is going to leave quite a legacy of ill health added to an ageing population managing multi-conditions working longer. The move towards more flexible working might have a positive longer-term impact in maximising the skills and contribution for more of the population instead of the old fashioned employer culture pre-COVID. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

They experienced the horrors of the Nazis and ended up with Russian control , unfortunately they have now gone extreme right wing . Like Hungary they have a history of being taken over by outside regimes , had their borders redrawn several times and are now being ruled by an elected 'dictatorship' We are lucky to be an island although Boris is dragging us in the same direction as Poland and Hungary , as demonstrated by his predetermined investigation of racism by know deniers of institutnional racism concluding we a beacon of multiculturism in the white world . I never went to university .

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9420563/amp/Britains-race-revolution-Landmark-report-says-UK-model-world-diversity.html

Chin up, son. 

If a black man deems that the UK ‘had progressed into a 'successful multi-ethnic and multicultural community' which was a 'beacon to the rest of Europe and the world'.’

I’ll take his word over some little woke muppet. 

Edited by SKD

• Lighthouse changed the title to Things That are Racist