Joe Biden Memorial Thread

Guided Missile

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Which is a great attitude, if you want to push people back towards the likes of Trump and get him (or similar) elected again.

I don’t think Trump supporters will need any help in being pushed back towards him, do you? Why would Biden supporters have a problem with Harris?

The argument that somehow Hilary Clinton was a worse candidate than Trump is laughable. To most people he is the worst POTUS America has ever had and it is hard to see how she could have been any worse. 

Unless you are a Trump loving misogynist of course 😉

9 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I don’t think Trump supporters will need any help in being pushed back towards him, do you? Why would Biden supporters have a problem with Harris?

The argument that somehow Hilary Clinton was a worse candidate than Trump is laughable. To most people he is the worst POTUS America has ever had and it is hard to see how she could have been any worse. 

Define a Trump supporter. You don’t have to be a hardcore, proud boys neo-Nazi to vote for him. You just have to be sufficiently disillusioned with the democrats to want to vote for him and this kind of attitude is exactly where it comes from. 

It’s the same as the congressman who said, "amen and a woman." You might think it’s just a sh*t pun and I wouldn’t argue but to your average republican making jokes about their religion is like a red rag to a bull.

17 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Define a Trump supporter. You don’t have to be a hardcore, proud boys neo-Nazi to vote for him. You just have to be sufficiently disillusioned with the democrats to want to vote for him and this kind of attitude is exactly where it comes from. 

It’s the same as the congressman who said, "amen and a woman." You might think it’s just a sh*t pun and I wouldn’t argue but to your average republican making jokes about their religion is like a red rag to a bull.

What kind of attitude is that exactly? You didn’t have a problem with the strange people who rioted in Washington? We are not talking about people who voted for Trump because they were fed up with the Democrats. We are talking about the hardcore nutters who seem to infest large parts of the US and who he was able to whip into a frenzy at will.

Why would someone who was disallusioned with the Democrats be more so just because a woman of colour became President? Surely they would have to have Trumplike issues already?

As for Clinton, she polled 3 million more votes than Trump,let’s not forget.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

A couple of posts showing identity politics in all its glory. They don’t care whether Harris will be good for the nation or even care  whether she’ll divide the country even more. Pissing off the opposition short term, trumps (pun intended) every other consideration.  

And yet only very recently you were cheerfully crowing that one of the best things about Brexit was pissing off the remainers.

9 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

What kind of attitude is that exactly? You didn’t have a problem with the strange people who rioted in Washington? We are not talking about people who voted for Trump because they were fed up with the Democrats. We are talking about the hardcore nutters who seem to infest large parts of the US and who he was able to whip into a frenzy at will.

Why would someone who was disallusioned with the Democrats be more so just because a woman of colour became President? Surely they would have to have Trumplike issues already?

As for Clinton, she polled 3 million more votes than Trump,let’s not forget.

Where on Earth have you got that from? 😕

A woman of colour becoming VP isn't the problem; attitudes like your are part of the problem. They come up all the time on threads like this, BLM and other social political issues. The mindset of, "hey if this pisses off the other tribe then great!"

It just makes every debate polarised. If you're even mildly conservative in your beliefs you get lumped in with Trump, there's no middle ground any more. 

Just now, Lighthouse said:

It just makes every debate polarised. If you're even mildly conservative in your beliefs you get lumped in with Trump, there's no middle ground any more. 

Liberal democracies are built on the premise that human values and interests are unavoidably and perpetually in conflict with one another, which leads to the dichotomy, polarisation and subsequent conflict that poisons most political debates nowadays. The solution to these conflicts is not to grant total victory to one side or another, but to accept a system of democratic government and civil society that allows pluralism to flourish within a common culture and single legal framework for a common good.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Why would Biden supporters have a problem with Harris?

The argument that somehow Hilary Clinton was a worse candidate than Trump is laughable. 

Biden won the nomination because the Democratic establishment realised Harris was a poor candidate. They dug Biden up out of desperation, not because he’s such a great candidate. Any half decent Republican would have beaten him, just as any half decent democrat would have beaten Trump. Which brings us on to your next unbelievable statement. That Hilary was a better candidate than Trump. Dear god, do you really think through the pony you write. I can’t think of a candidate in my lifetime that wouldn’t have beaten Trump, except Hillary Clinton. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

2 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

Liberal democracies are built on the premise that human values and interests are unavoidably and perpetually in conflict with one another, which leads to the dichotomy, polarisation and subsequent conflict that poisons most political debates nowadays. The solution to these conflicts is not to grant total victory to one side or another, but to accept a system of democratic government and civil society that allows pluralism to flourish within a common culture and single legal framework for a common good.I

It is immediately apparent that a million monkeys with a million typewriters stand a better chance of producing this paragraph than GM has of putting so many long words into coherent sentences. There again, a bit of acknowledgement and attribution would demonstrate that he lifted it from the Telegraph, and it can also be found here ;

https://kaleistyleguide.com/politics/2021/01/24/left-cannot-overcome-division-remains-obsessed-identity-politics/

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Biden won the nomination because the Democratic establishment realised Harris was a poor candidate. They dug Biden up out of desperation, not because he’s such a great candidate. Any half decent Republican would have beaten him, just as any half decent democrat would have beaten Trump. Which brings us on to your next unbelievable statement. That Hilary was a better candidate than Trump. Dear god, do you really think through the pony you write. I can’t think of a candidate in my lifetime that wouldn’t have beaten Trump, except Hillary Clinton. 

Unfortunately this is correct. People have to understand the logistics of the Electoral College and the critical importance of certain States, as has been made clear in the last 2 elections.

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Agree with most of that. The Republicans seem to have a better pipeline of potential candidates f'sure. Harris and Biden is balanced ticket though  - experienced time served, centrist, reliable old white guy with young, BME, slightly more left, up and coming woman. Designed to appeal to maximum number of voters.  Where Republicans seem to miss a trick is to get a President and VP who don't each bring in a different voter base.   

Edited by buctootim

30 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Most people understand, although Soggy clearly doesn’t. 

To be fair, more Americans did vote for Clinton than Trump, so ignoring the weird way the US system works, you can’t really say she was a worse candidate. She obviously wasn’t a great choice but still more popular than the orange baby.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aintforever said:

To be fair, more Americans did vote for Clinton than Trump, so ignoring the weird way the US system works, you can’t really say she was a worse candidate. She obviously wasn’t a great choice but still more popular than the orange baby.

If you pile up votes in certain states & don’t breakthrough in enough of the remaining states, you’re a poor candidate based on that system. If you can’t beat Donald Trump you’re an appalling candidate. 

The system not weird at all, it’s perfectly reasonable. You need broad support from across the nation, without it the big population states will dominate the union too much. it’s a system that’s perfect for a union of independent states. 

People only complain about the system when it goes against them, just look at the Wotsit faced loony himself. Not a whiff of voter fraud in any of the narrow states he won. The long and short of it is that fewer people hated Hilary but more people liked Trump and apathy won the day. 

25 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It is theoretically possible under the UK system for a party to get over 50% of the vote and yet concede a Parliamentary majority to a party getting less than 30 % of the vote.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

People only complain about the system when it goes against them, just look at the Wotsit faced loony himself. Not a whiff of voter fraud in any of the narrow states he won. The long and short of it is that fewer people hated Hilary but more people liked Trump and apathy won the day. 

I wanted Biden to win and still think the system, like ours, should be more proportional.

Clinton was a poor candidate because of all the baggage she came with but you can’t deny the fact that more Americans wanted her president than than they did Trump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The system not weird at all, it’s perfectly reasonable. You need broad support from across the nation, without it the big population states will dominate the union too much. it’s a system that’s perfect for a union of independent states. 

Thats pretty much what happens now tbf. Rhode Island has four electoral college votes whilst California has 55. I don't see the electoral college adds anything now over a direct 'most votes wins' Presidential election. Maybe it did when the country was split on geographical lines or big issues like slavery, but not now.  

Edited by buctootim

A party that has an advantage in the structural make up of the electoral system is hardly likely to help change it. If you look at maps what you really have is democratic cities and republican rural areas. It is not that a state is red or blue it is more does a state have large cities if yes overall blue, if not then its overall red. and if that does neatly line up for a state now it will probably sort the rest of them out with a bit more time.

It's not really the electoral college for the president that is that bad, it makes some sense. You can't just have most total votes wins, ideally there should be some level of representation across different regions.

However It is the Senate system that is absolutely shocking.

I think it is two seats per state regardless of size which is not representative at all. I think it us true that half the seats account for twice as much population than the other half.

Can't see it changing any time soon just like no one will change the Westminster system that also needs a bit of work.

9 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Nonsense.

Harris dropped out of the contest voluntarily. She did so very early (Dec 3, 2019)--the third candidate out of the top eighteen to drop out. Biden was not selected "out of desperation". He lost the first three primaries/caucuses. But then he won South Carolina and Super Tuesday decisively. After that he won all but three of some thirty-eight votes. Trump knew that Biden was the candidate most likely to defeat him--that's why he tried to bribe President Zelensky of Ukraine.

Clinton was by far a better candidate than Trump. She was defeated for five main reasons: 1) Russian interference in the election; 2) FBI Director James Comey's letter to Congress on October 28, right before the election, about Clinton's emails (an obsession with the GOP campaign); 3) the peculiarities of the Electoral College sysytem; 4) Clinton taking for granted Democratic support in the key mid-Western states and failing to campaign there sufficiently (not to mention her comment about "the deplorables"); and 5) the bulk of the media giving Trump a relatively free ride during the campaign.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 25/01/2021 at 10:37, Guided Missile said:

Exactly. Hillary Clinton was the precise reason Trump got elected.

GM
Dont you give any credence at all that the Russians didn't have any reason to supply Trumps team with information to discredit Clinton, as indicated directly by The Donald?

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

These Russians are bloody halfwits. Fancy rigging one election and then deciding to abandon Trump instead of handing him a win that would have caused complete and absolute chaos in America,  & the west in general. 

I have an alibi for Tuesday so obviously I didn’t rob the bank on Wednesday.

On 25/01/2021 at 11:03, sadoldgit said:

Misogynist? have a day off. LooooL 

I’d rather he wanted to grab a pussy than be one like you. 

22 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

These Russians are bloody halfwits. Fancy rigging one election and then deciding to abandon Trump instead of handing him a win that would have caused complete and absolute chaos in America,  & the west in general. 

Halfwit like you wouldn’t understand the undisputed intelligence detailing the interference 

• 1 month later...

The latest medical update on Sleepy Joe, here:

President Biden is crumbling before our eyes
Anyone familiar with the early stages of dementia will recognise the signs in Biden
Joe Biden’s decline has become so painful to see and so embarrassing to watch that it feels cruel to mention it. But it’s even more cruel that Biden’s team act as if it’s not happening, and most of America’s media look the other way. 
On Thursday night, Biden marked the first anniversary of the Covid-19 shutdowns and his fiftieth day in the White House by giving the first televised address of his presidency. He hadn’t been seen in public for three days, which is what he seems to require if he’s not to unravel before the cameras.
From the moment he wheezed up to the lectern and peered into the camera, you could tell Biden was on top form: croaky sentiment, sporadic belligerence, and only the occasional moment when he looked oddly distant and perplexed, as though he didn’t understand the words he was reading.
“What am I doing here?” Biden asked after fumbling his autocue lines in an address in Texas in late February. He reached for the cue cards that are now his constant companion. “I’m gonna lose track here.”
Earlier this week, the Commander-in-Chief forgot the name of the largest department in the US government, the Department of Defense, as well as the name of the man he recently appointed as its leader, Lloyd Austin.
Thank you to the Sec… the former general… I keep calling him general… my… my… the guy who runs that outfit over there,” he flailed.

Sad to watch. 

38 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

The latest medical update on Sleepy Joe, here:

Sad to watch. 

An article written as an opinion piece, by a biased author without a minute of medical training or experience. Hardly a "medical update" on the candidate tbat "Trumped" your hero.