Bournemouth 0-3 Saints - Match Thread

Noodles34

Three years ago we beat Wigan in the Cup quarter-final. We were PL. They were League 1 after gloriously winning the Cup in 2013 but being relegated and fading into oblivion. To those who would prioritise the Cup, just sayin'.

Edited by Shroppie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Three years ago we beat Wigan in the Cup quarter-final. We were PL. They were League 1 after gloriously winning the Cup in 2013 but being relegated and fading into oblivion. To those who would prioritise the Cup, just sayin'.

Who cares. Most of us on here have never seen us win anything of note. I’d take 10 years in the championship and L1 if we had the chance to see us win something. What’s the alternative? Stay up and battle relegation every season, just waiting for the inevitable season you go down.

To be honest, I think the championship is a better league for the match going fan anyway. 

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

And we win the cup and get relegated (which we won’t, not this season anyway) and then come straight back up, just saying like 

A major cup win could be a once in a generation thing, something very special for our fans. Limping over the line, making up the numbers, VAR, loyalty, greed, just about had my fill of the best league in the world. And without the right ownership, our final destination, well its just an inevitability. Would love to snag the cup on the way, but I'm sure the football gods are already contemplating an amusing way to dash our dreams. But, while the hopes alive, let it kill you. 

I struggle with the lack of understanding that relegation means ripping the non-playing side of the club apart, with a lot of jobs lost. 

And it's just as likely that we would sink (see Wigan, Stoke, Hull, Huddersfield, Sunderland, etc) as bounce back.

• Like 1

We understand. We have all witnessed the decline. We also understand the ownership issues. 

No one wants relegation. But just clapping along isn't going to save us. Something needs to change.

Its never felt more out of our control. When we are in the stands, there's less places for the owner/manager/players to hide.

Right now we are just witnessing a slow motion car crash. And when we limp over the line, we'll wait for the summer transfer window and start the pattern all over again.

Goa is going to get what he's paid for. You can't keep getting lucky. And boy have we used up some luck already. 

Not trying to be pessimistic, just a bit realistic. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I struggle with the lack of understanding that relegation means ripping the non-playing side of the club apart, with a lot of jobs lost. 

And it's just as likely that we would sink (see Wigan, Stoke, Hull, Huddersfield, Sunderland, etc) as bounce back.

With respect, I couldn’t give 2 shits about the non-playing side of the club. Whilst it’ll obviously be sad for them, I pay to watch the football on the pitch, not some office bod on a computer. 

I agree that if we go down, with this squad, we’ll be fucked. However, again, who cares. Some Of the most enjoyable football I attended was in the championship and league 1. 

• Like 1

You’re also ignoring the fact that we’re pretty much safe (baring a complete freak run, to which we’ll deserve to go down) and a cup win, whilst building momentum for the league, will Also mean European football, bringing in additional income and making us more attractive to a buyer. 

You could argue that a cup win is more important now, than ever. 

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

With respect, I couldn’t give 2 shits about the non-playing side of the club. Whilst it’ll obviously be sad for them, I pay to watch the football on the pitch, not some office bod on a computer. 

I agree that if we go down, with this squad, we’ll be fucked. However, again, who cares. Some Of the most enjoyable football I attended was in the championship and league 1. 

Was that on the way up or the way down the leagues? It was good coming up after being bought by Markus (not sure we would get another like him) not so great going the other way was it?

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

You’re also ignoring the fact that we’re pretty much safe (baring a complete freak run, to which we’ll deserve to go down)

I'm surprised that people still think this. We are no longer in the realms of needing a "freak run" between now and the end of the season to go down. It would only take a poor run from this point.

That said, we SHOULD still be fine, and should prioritise the cup this weekend.

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Was that on the way up or the way down the leagues? It was good coming up after being bought by Markus (not sure we would get another like him) not so great going the other way was it?

Personally, I enjoyed it just as much. 

we were absolutely dreadful and the football wasn’t great, but at least to the match going fan, we were in it together. The same faces every week going through the same pain. 

of course being successful is better (hard to say that we’re successful at the moment), but I’d take that over 15 year olds with football twitter accounts, vloggers and general weirdos premier league football attracts to your fan base, whilst still dishing up absolute shit week in week out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jawillwill said:

I'm surprised that people still think this. We are no longer in the realms of needing a "freak run" between now and the end of the season to go down. It would only take a poor run from this point.

That said, we SHOULD still be fine, and should prioritise the cup this weekend.

Picking up 1 win in c. 20 games (12 gone + the 8 or so left) along with all the teams below us dramatically improving their form, would be a freak run. Yes. 

Edited by SKD

Some seem to think that if we go down, everything will be ok, and it will even get better.

Whilst moaning about current lack of investment, quality of players, the manager and all the other things that can only get worse, not better, with the huge loss of income. We become less attractive to a buyer, less attractive to incoming players, stuck with players who won't move for lower wages, we probably lose Ralph and our better players are cherry-picked with no prospect of replacement.

Our business model and survival at present rely on staying in the PL (and, although it's very unlikely to happen, finding a generous buyer).

I'd still love us to win the Cup but not at the expense of survival. Hopefully the two aren't mutually exclusive.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

Sunderland are in League One now but they didn't win the cup.

So should we win the cup to guarantee league one football or not win the cup to guarantee league one football?

It's so confusing.

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

So should we win the cup to guarantee league one football or not win the cup to guarantee league one football?

It's so confusing.

As I've said above, they don't need to be mutually exclusive. But IMO the consequences of relegation are far worse than the consequences of not winning the Cup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

Exactly, what an utterly sole-destroying experience that must have been for Wigan.  From memory, they won the cup but were practically relegated either just before or just after due to other results. Now more than ever, staying in the Premier League is absolutely essential!

6 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

As I've said above, they don't need to be mutually exclusive. But IMO the consequences of relegation are far worse than the consequences of not winning the Cup.

Has anyone said different?

All people are saying us they'd like to win the cup and I agree.

Loads of teams get relegated, it's only on this forum that relegation immediately means another relegation and financial oblivion. I'd still support Saints in the Championship no bother, there's plenty of big clubs down there.

Even Wigan finished fifth and in the play offs in their first season down. How many seasons do want to go to blame the cup win on their relegation?

1 minute ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Exactly, what an utterly sole-destroying experience that must have been for Wigan.  From memory, they won the cup but were practically relegated either just before or just after due to other results. Now more than ever, staying in the Premier League is absolutely essential!

You won't find many Wigan fans who would give the cup back, squire.

You can bet your bottom ten pence that if we go down those potential investors will look elsewhere. Thus, the league is the priority for the future of the club, with new ownership and a little money to address our paper-thin squad.

The FA Cup is neither here nor there and still needs us winning three games, something we don't seem particularly capable of. Which isn't to say it wouldn't be great. Just might detract even more from what is - in my view - much more important.

20 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

You won't find many Wigan fans who would give the cup back, squire.

I guess it depends on your priorities as a football fan.

We should never undervalue the presence of Saints in the Premier League and the different history that we create as a result.  Think about things like Le Tissier's goals, the wins in the 90's against Man Utd, Mane's hat-trick, Long's fastest ever goal.  I value all these things really highly and they wouldn't have been a thing if we were in League 1 like Wigan.

Of course, the 2 achievements aren't mutually exclusive, so I maintain that I want a mid-table finish AND the cup win! 😃 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

We should never undervalue the presence of Saints in the Premier League and the different history that we create as a result.  Think about things like Le Tissier's goals, the wins in the 90's against Man Utd, Mane's hat-trick, Long's fastest ever goal.  I value all these things really highly and they wouldn't have been a thing if we were in League 1 like Wigan.

Of course, the 2 achievements aren't mutually exclusive, so I maintain that I want a mid-table finish AND the cup win! 😃 

Wait a minute.. you’d exchange a cup win for a fastest premier league goal or a Hat trick? Christ. 

What about 2 record breaking defeats or years of 0 success battling relegation. These things wouldn’t have been a thing if we were in league 1. 

Of course, every fan wants to be at the highest possible level. But surely as a fan, you’d rather we had success and won a trophy, rather than just boring mid - lower table season upon season. Regardless of the potential impact (it’s a silly suggestion really as Wigan is the only example I can think of in recent history that it’s happened to) down the line. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, austsaint said:

You probably won't find any Wigan fans watching their side in the Prem again, squire.

As long as they still Have a club, I'm Sure the true supporters wouldn’t care. 

Sums our club up that we celebrate being average as a success. Pathetic. 

• Like 1

Getting back to the match at the weekend … lots of comments that Redmond or Tella up front as we have no-one else … what's the status of Michael Obafemi these days? He didn't get away on loan due to injury. Is he over it? Is he an option?

I agree with the sentiment that if you keep playing the same players in the same way, then the same result will follow. So can we change it up?

Edited by the saint in winchester

12 minutes ago, austsaint said:

You probably won't find any Wigan fans watching their side in the Prem again, squire.

And? They're fucking Wigan. 

If you think Saints are never ever going to be relegated ever again you've got a shock coming. Us getting knocked out of the cups at the earliest opportunity like some twats on here want us to do does not create immunity to relegation either.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I valued the two seasons under Nigel Adkins myself.

Slightly more than Mane's hat trick at one game. Jesus wept.

10 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Getting back to the match at the weekend … lots of comments that Redmond or Tella up front as we have no-one else … what's the status of Michael Obafemi these days? He didn't get away on loan due to injury. Is he over it? Is he an option?

I agree with the sentiment that if you keep playing the same players in the same way, then the same result will follow. So can we change it up?

Season ending hamstring injury

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I valued the two seasons under Nigel Adkins myself.

Slightly more than Mane's hat trick at one game. Jesus wept.

Yes, those seasons under Adkins were absolutely amazing. 

I'm just saying that being in the Premier League is a form of success in itself that comes with its own, less immediately obvious, landmarks.  That Mane hat-trick for example was an incredible event to witness and I always love when it is mentioned. It's also great to see that we're in the Top 10 for all-time Premier League points accrued.

Obviously the downside is things like those record defeats but my view is that at least we continue to be relevant as a football club and are not just floundering in the lower leagues like the fish.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SKD said:

Wait a minute.. you’d exchange a cup win for a fastest premier league goal or a Hat trick? Christ. 

Never said that pal, I'm just saying that success can be measured in different ways and that our efforts over the years haven't been for nothing.

For example, I value Le Tissier's performances / goals for us probably as highly as I would us winning the cup one year.

That said, absolutely desperate to see us lift a proper trophy before I kick the bucket!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SKD said:

Adding ‘with respect’ doesn’t make the sentiment you express respectful, it actually comes across as callous. If a football club is no bigger than the 11 players on the pitch on a Saturday what’s the point of even supporting a club? May as well just rock up at any given ground and watch the spectacle.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

Adding ‘with respect’ doesn’t make the sentiment you express respectful, it actually comes across as callous. If a football club is no bigger than the 11 players on the pitch on a Saturday what’s the point of even supporting a club? May as well just rock up at any given ground and watch the spectacle.

Because I pay my hard earned money follow and support the success a club has on the pitch. Not the amount of staff they employee. To be Frank, I couldn’t give a fuck about that, but if you see that as some kind of success, then each to their own... I guess. 

A football club is a business, but I don’t support it as a business, I support it as a ‘football’ club. The football is all I care about when it comes to my club. 

Using ‘think of the jobs’ as some kind of  argument due to an irrational fear of winning the cup and going down, is just stupid. If being a successful club and winning trophies results in a few office bods losing a job, then give me the P45’s ASAP. 

Edited by SKD

23 minutes ago, SKD said:

Because I pay my hard earned money follow and support the success a club has on the pitch. Not the amount of staff they employee. To be Frank, I couldn’t give a fuck about that, but if you see that as some kind of success, then each to their own... I guess. 

A football club is a business, but I don’t support it as a business, I support it as a ‘football’ club. The football is all I care about when it comes to my club. 

Using ‘think of the jobs’ as some kind of  argument due to an irrational fear of winning the cup and going down, is just stupid. If being a successful club and winning trophies results in a few office bods losing a job, then give me the P45’s ASAP. 

Surely winning the FA Cup and even getting to the final would create work and a financial return for the club? Commemorative merch, DVD sales, T shirts scarves, plus the TV money etc etc.

Isn't that good for the club. I don't think the comms team, the merch team  the PR team (people behind desks working for the club) all wish that we chuck a load of kids out for the cup games so we get knocked out nice and early to prevent relegation. Those employees aren't like some of the dins on this forum. They're not sitting around just wishing that the players just rest rest rest and only play the minimum possible amount of games so we can fight against relegation.

They, like me, want us to try and win a fucking trophy.

Edited by CB Fry

We really do have some odd fans. My wife worked at Saints for seven year she was made redundant like many others when we were struggling in the championship, Obviously she was upset, for many of them it's more than just a job. But they all got over it, all got other jobs and life went on. It's really odd that people are hoping we just survive in the premier league rather than actually win something because a few people they've never met before might lose their jobs, speaking from experience it really isn't that bad.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Surely winning the FA Cup and even getting to the final would create work and a financial return for the club? Commemorative merch, DVD sales, T shirts scarves, plus the TV money etc etc.

Isn't that good for the club. I don't think the comms team, the merch team  the PR team (people behind desks working for the club) all wish that we chuck a load of kids out for the cup games so we get knocked out nice and early to prevent relegation. Those employees aren't like some of the dins on this forum. They're not sitting around just wishing that the players just rest rest rest and only play the minimum possible amount of games so we can fight against relegation.

They, like me, want us to try and win a fucking trophy.

Exactly. Then you have the addition of European football. I wonder how much they made or exposure gained from the 2 games against Milan. 

Winning games breeds confidence, it’s ridiculous to use 1 example as an argument for not wanting to win a cup. Especially given there’s a strong chance we’ll battling survival next season regardless. 

• Like 1

People saying we should focus the league are insane. We are 40/1 odds with sky bet to go down and probably much longer to make Europe. 538 (stat analysis website) has us at 2% chance relegation and <1% Europe. Our league season ended months ago. 

Conversely we are through to the quarters of the FA cup, have a championship side, and some top sides (Liverpool, spurs) are already out. We actually have a decent chance at the FA Cup this year. Bookies give it 16/1, long but no where near as long as relegation or Europe. 

This is the perfect situation to go for it. If you find yourself in the "play for the league" camp you should admit to yourself that you will never want us to go for the cup, which is a fine opinion but be honest about it. Comparisons to Wigan are mad as they spent most of the season favourites to go down when they won it whereas we are not and have never been anywhere near even likely to go down. 

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I would like us to win the cup but wouldn't lose a moment's sleep over it if we didn't because I haven't arbitrarily expected us to win it. 

I'd be a lot more fucked off if we were relegated than getting knocked out of the cup.

Here's the thing. We're not going to be relegated.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We really do have some odd fans. My wife worked at Saints for seven year she was made redundant like many others when we were struggling in the championship, Obviously she was upset, for many of them it's more than just a job. But they all got over it, all got other jobs and life went on. It's really odd that people are hoping we just survive in the premier league rather than actually win something because a few people they've never met before might lose their jobs, speaking from experience it really isn't that bad.

Well said mate. Even in the Prem the club is scaling back , closing the club shop in West Quay and therefore abandoning town centre presence, plus they've stopped producing a match day programme. 

Plus look at the shambles of the commercial department with a sponsor that didn't exist and replica shirts they couldn't sell. 

Back to the Bournemouth game, sounds like they'll need to have some youngsters on the bench.

https://twitter.com/TomCrockerEcho/status/1372474241925402628?s=20

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

oh, were you married to Tandari Lee?

Laughable the way people think we have a chance in hell of winning the FA  Cup.....

When we did win it we had some very very good players and a Manager who was on an entirely different planet to one we have now.

We are literally miles away from Leicester, the Manc teams and indeed Chelsea now... 

If you like lower league football that much there is lots to chose from

locally. Some of us want to see Saints playing at the highest level possible and aspiring to the highest level.

Eastleigh would welcome you with open arms, actually some have made a choice to go there and respect to them for that but that level is not good enough for Southampton or any owner who you think we deserve more than Gao.

No one would buy a football with low aspirations in fact. 

Aspire to play at the highest level or plan to fail and expect that ambition to be a catastrophic success....

• Confused 1

I thought this thread was Bompey v Saints but it seems that many of the posters prefer to discuss our relegation  prospects. Well, for one I don't subscribe to all the negativity that is currently at the fore.  I am not pessimistic in  that I can only see the demise. Being a Saint for as long as I have its all down to life's rich tapestry of disappointment and pleasure and, above all, optimism. Let's look at the Cup match on Saturday as a 'day out' and irrespective of the score, endeavor to enjoy being a Saint. Cheer up! Its far easier to smile than frown.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Laughable the way people think we have a chance in hell of winning the FA  Cup.....

When we did win it we had some very very good players and a Manager who was on an entirely different planet to one we have now.

We are literally miles away from Leicester, the Manc teams and indeed Chelsea now... 

If you like lower league football that much there is lots to chose from

locally. Some of us want to see Saints playing at the highest level possible and aspiring to the highest level.

Eastleigh would welcome you with open arms, actually some have made a choice to go there and respect to them for that but that level is not good enough for Southampton or any owner who you think we deserve more than Gao.

No one would buy a football with low aspirations in fact. 

Aspire to play at the highest level or plan to fail and expect that ambition to be a catastrophic success....

Are you on glue?

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bournemouth 0-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic