Bournemouth 0-3 Saints - Match Thread

Noodles34

Will we be put out of our misery come Saturday afternoon? 

Got to be 

macca 

Bertie Vesty Salisu Bednarek KWP

JWP Diallo 

Armstrong Tella

Adams

Five at the back, try something different. Got to change things and throw them. 

Edited by Noodles34
Oh dear
  • Haha 1

Our back 4 is a shambles when we play a system we’re used to, god knows how bad we’ll be with a different system.

You can toss a coin regarding who plays in nets.

Back 4 picks itself, as does 3 of the 4 in midfield. (JWP, Diallo, Armstrong), as does Che. Just leaves one midfield wide position and one up top for anyone to argue over. I’d go Djneppo on the basis there’s nobody else, and (duck for cover) Redmond. Further forward his fuck ups might not cost us,  and you never know. Given the instructions of pick it up between the lines and go at them, you never know he may cause their back four a problem. Tella hasn’t convinced me that he can finish yet. Not that Redmond has, but he does occasionally play less shite and is due a goal.....

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

Hate to say this but we’ve been here before many time and it’s got upset written all over it. Fairly full strength but out of form saints team away at lower league opposition in the cup. It goes wrong more than it goes right for us. Plenty of previous here to suggest to suggest a Bournemouth win. 

• Like 1

Bournemouth playing some really good stuff so far this evening comfortably beating Swansea. 

We've got to remember no VAR so stop defending set pieces with a high line hoping to catch their early runners offside. 

29 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Our back 4 is a shambles when we play a system we’re used to, god knows how bad we’ll be with a different system.

Back 4 picks itself, as does 3 of the 4 in midfield. (JWP, Diallo, Armstrong), as does Che. Just leaves one midfield wide position and one up top for anyone to argue over. I’d go Djneppo on the basis there’s nobody else, and (duck for cover) Redmond. Further forward his fuck ups might not cost us,  and you never know. Given the instructions of pick it up between the lines and go at them, you never know he may cause their back four a problem. Tella hasn’t convinced me that he can finish yet. Not that Redmond has, but he does occasionally play less shite and is due a goal.....

Tella isn't the finished article yet by any means, but in just a handful of cameos he's already picked the ball up between the lines and 'gone at them' more than Redmond has in the past couple of seasons. Redmond never takes anyone on in case he loses it and looks bad. He's not a propaganda footballer, he's a public relations footballer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Hate to say this but we’ve been here before many time and it’s got upset written all over it. Fairly full strength but out of form saints team away at lower league opposition in the cup. It goes wrong more than it goes right for us. Plenty of previous here to suggest to suggest a Bournemouth win. 

Stands out doesn't it ? Hoping the upset is so glaringly obvious that we buck the trend and win!

12 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Pathetic thread title ffs 🙄

You'd have thought the OP was almost wishing it.

7 minutes ago, fanimal said:

The difference in 1974 was that we had been playing well before that result but so had they; a bit of luck and complacency on our part led to our defeat 

I'm not sure that is completely true. We'd only won one of our 8 previous 1st Division games and 2 weeks before had lost 7-0 at Ipswich. Incidentally, of Lawrie's 28 games that season (he took over at the end of November), we only won 5 league games. Ralph has won 9 of his last 28 league games.  We didn't sack Lawrie and the rest is history ....... 

Impressed with Bournemouth tonight.

Billings is tricky and full of energy, Stacey will roast Bertrand plus Solanke will have our centre defence in a pickle.

2 - 1 to then with Adams getting one at the end.

Edited by Pilchards

24 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Fras

KW Salisu Jannik Bertie

Diallo JW

Armstrong Taki

Tella McAdams 

Minamino is cup tied. Replace him with Redmond (Championship is his level isnt it) and the rest looks good. Can see Ralph sticking with Bednarek however

Forster

KWP Salisu Jannik Bertie

JWP Diallo
Djenepo         Armstrong

Che    Tella

We don't need another change of system at the back, and certainly not to one that will encourage them to take less responsibility, Bednarek unfortunately deserves to sit one out and lets see what Salisu has to offer, I am a fan of Jan, but his recent issues (own goals etc) have seen him drop his form a bit

Forster gives me more confidence than Macca, who had a poor showing even with the poor defence in front of him vs City

Like another poster said, 3 of the 4 midfielders pick themselves, so the only other option is Djenepo vs Redmond and frankly Redders hasn't shown any improvement whatsoever.... He has the ability, but shows no forward intentions at all

Che, again, picks himself, and I fancy Tella to give a championship defence a lot of problems with his pace and trickery

Could we rest players ? Yes

Should we ? I don't think so, of course league form has us all looking downwards but frankly if we don't pick up another 3/4 points in our run in we deserve the drop, I almost fear a loss to Bournemouth as more calamitous to our already mudded mental state then the benefits of resting our main players

We...should.... should... beat Bournemouth, but I am genuinely worried tbh.... One things for sure, if Ralph cannot get these lads fired up and motivated after that shit show on Saturday then I think a lot of the recent criticism of his tenure are justified

Edited by Smirking_Saint

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Forster

KWP Salisu Jannik Bertie

JWP Diallo

Che    Tella

We don't need another change of system at the back, and certainly not to one that will encourage them to take less responsibility, Bednarek unfortunately deserves to sit one out and lets see what Salisu has to offer, I am a fan of Jan, but his recent issues (own goals etc) have seen him drop his form a bit

Forster gives me more confidence than Macca, who had a poor showing even with the poor defence in front of him vs City

Like another poster said, 3 of the 4 midfielders pick themselves, so the only other option is Djenepo vs Redmond and frankly Redders hasn't shown any improvement whatsoever.... He has the ability, but shows no forward intentions at all

Che, again, picks himself, and I fancy Tella to give a championship defence a lot of problems with his pace and trickery

Should we ? I don't think so, of course league form has us all looking downwards but frankly if we don't pick up another 3/4 points in our run in we deserve the drop, I almost fear a loss to Bournemouth as more calamitous to our already mudded mental state then the benefits of resting our main players

We...should.... should... beat Bournemouth, but I am genuinely worried tbh

That's the team I'd select. 

36 minutes ago, JRM said:

Bournemouth playing some really good stuff so far this evening comfortably beating Swansea. 

We've got to remember no VAR so stop defending set pieces with a high line hoping to catch their early runners offside. 

There will be VAR at all of the quarter finals-David Coote is filling that role for our game. https://www.the-ra.org/appointments/emirates-fa-cup-quarter-final-match-official-appointments

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Forster

KWP Salisu Jannik Bertie

JWP Diallo

Che    Tella

We...should.... should... beat Bournemouth, but I am genuinely worried tbh.... One things for sure, if Ralph cannot get these lads fired up and motivated after that shit show on Saturday then I think a lot of the recent criticism of his tenure are justified

Theres an international break on the horizon and an FA Cup Semi Final at stake, we dont need to rest players

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I see they are warming up for the match by being 2-0 up against a decent Swansea team.

We should win but taking into account our current downward spiral we will probably crumble to an insipid 3-1 defeat. 

That Danjuma looks quality for them, just looked him up , plays for Holland and cost nearly £14M, with him and Solanke up front (£19M) they've got a more expensive forward line than we have! 

17 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Theres an international break on the horizon and an FA Cup Semi Final at stake, we dont need to rest players

Absolutely this, lets go and get a victory to get into the Semi-Final and then we got a two week break until our next league game. I would like to see N'Lundulu upfront with Adams on Saturday and Salisu to come back in at centre back.

My team would be: Forster; KWP, Salisu, Vestergaard, Bertrand; Armstrong; Diallo, JWP, Djenepo; N'Lundulu, Adams 

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Would personally prefer Macca in goal. Given Ralph throwing him to the wolves in City game to protect Fraser i'd expect Fraser to start.

Glad someone else that thought the same.

Said at work that Ralph threw McCarthy under the bus at Man City .

Ralph knew full well there was a chance we’d let in a few goals and like you said didn’t want to knock Forster’s confidence.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Stands out doesn't it ? Hoping the upset is so glaringly obvious that we buck the trend and win!

You'd have thought the OP was almost wishing it.

Not  all all, but to be honest, even if we win, what will we face, another Chelsea like semi, better to put ourselves out of the misery sooner. 
not sure if you have noticed, but we are really shit at the moment 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Think you're right about swapping Djenepo for Tella.  Tella has pace, but his control and touch don't match up.   Give Djenepo that attacking, direct running role we saw from him when he first arrived.

1 hour ago, Andy Hill said:

Bournemouth look very sharp tonight. Compare this to our pedestrian performance on Sunday means that there will be only one outcome. At least we can then concentrate on matching the mighty Burnley !

You're gonna fit right in here.

Forster will definitely start- Ralph has said earlier in the season that Forster is the designated cup keeper I think. 

Personally, I’d drop Bednarek for Salisu too, his positioning has been poor of late but otherwise team largely picks itself other than the Redmond vs Djenepo debate (I’d pick Djenepo).

PS. The title for this build up thread is terrible! 

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

Personally, I’d drop Bednarek for Salisu too, his positioning has been poor of late but otherwise team largely picks itself other than the Redmond vs Djenepo debate (I’d pick Djenepo).

Agree - think we will run out comfortable 3-0 winners.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Just one problem with that, Redmond to "go at them"? Hmmmm

10 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Will we be put out of our misery come Saturday afternoon? 

Got to be 

macca 

Bertie Vesty Salisu Bednarek KWP

JWP Diallo 

Armstrong Tella

Adams

Five at the back, try something different. Got to change things and throw them. 

We won't play five at the back, and I'm dubious about swapping the full backs over, but I'd possibly go with a more fluid front four.

Mccarthy

KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand

Diallo JWP

Djenepo Armstrong Redmond 

Adams

Expecting the worse, hoping for the best. Not sure it matters though as we’re not going to win the cup. 

We need a change, 4222 isn’t working. I’d try 4231 with Armstrong in the 10. 

KWP Vestergaard 

Diallo JWP 

Armstrong 

Adams 

take your pick with the rest of the squad, all a bag of shite and as bad as one another. 

2-0 Bournemouth. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Forster

KWP Salisu Jannik Bertie

JWP Diallo

Che    Tella

This lineup

They’re without a few. Wish we could head down there, would be a decent day on the piss. 

Strongest possible line-up and I think we’ll have too much for them. 

Edited by LGTL

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bournemouth 0-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic